Zep

Be The First To
Add Photos

Zep Chairman, President, and CEO John K. Morgan

John K. Morgan

Rich company history with a great product portfolio.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zep

ProsYou can earn a great living and have a lot of fun by becoming a valued part of your customers business.

ConsManagement is constantly at war with their sales force, trying to cheat them or find ways to take back sales commisions. Branch staff is treated like second class and paid poorly as well. Company moral is at a all time low. Don't look for sales support, you and your customers are on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease go away. Quit looking for that golden parachute. If you are going to stay please try talking to your staff at all levels. Embrace the rich history that you are working so hard to destroy!

Solid Company, Some Growing Pains, Will Thrive in the Future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zep

ProsZep has some of the finest products int he specialty chemical arena. Their products can be sold to any customer at any time. While the culture is changing, it still has the feel of a smaller company.

ConsZep is going through a lot of growing pains currently. It is in the process of the changing the corporate culture and refocusing efforts to establish a multiple route to market strategy. Layoffs, low-employee morale and increased pressures on remaining staff make life difficult in the short term. My thought is that when these changes are complete, Zep will find it's way back to a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarefully consider strategies and realize that your people are your most valued asset. I have seen some talented people who have been let go due to severances and this can have negative consequences if not looked at from a case by case basis, rather than, a departmental basis.

The story changes once you are inside.

I have been working at Zep full-time

ProsYou get a good start at Zep. But start looking for a job after a year if you want to further your career.

ConsAfter the first couple of years, if you last that long, things go down hill. You find out there is no such thing as a career path. Yes there are people here with longevity, but they have been in the same position for 5, even 10 years. You have to work under constant pressure of being laid off. Zep operates in a continual cycle of layoffs. Its not that the managers are totally incompetent, they are afraid to do their jobs because they are also expendable. The executives WILL get their bonuses and they don't care what they have to do to get them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some other ways to manage your expenses and fund your bonuses other than at the costs of your employees. And how about sharing those bonuses with the rest of us.

Outside Sales Representative

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Zep full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery flexible work schedule. Decent, but expensive benefits.

ConsNo formal training on products and services.
Very little communication from management.
100% commission after training period ends.
Very difficult to earn a decent paycheck without having existing business contacts.
If a new rep inherits accounts, they do not receive 100% commissions on future sales for those accounts.
Since it is industry standard to provide customers with dispensing equipment, the cost of the equipment is deducted from a reps commissions if customers will not buy equipment.
No reimbursement for any business expense.
Zep has flooded the market with its products through internet suppliers, wholesale distributors, and big box retailers.
Excessive shipping charges for customers.
High order minimum for customers ($150). If this minimum is not met, commissions on that order are reduced.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking for additional channels to get products to market, you are taking customers away from reps that rely on that income.
Work to reduce excessive shipping charges for customers. Customers cannot afford to pay in excess of $80 in shipping charges for products.
Start investing in training for your reps. If a rep asks for training; give it to him/her.
Start reimbursing reps for expenses, which is standard practice in your industry.

They have been confused

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zep full-time

ProsProducts are rock solid, people are great calibre (nice) If you are looking to start your own business and have that mentality then this may be good for you or if you are starting your career and can give 3 years as a stepping stone, otherwise run the other way. More frustrating than anything else.

ConsMotto of the company really is Zep pays Zep first. Good for the shareholders but as you go along they don't make the best decisions and don't really value people as partners. They are used to having tenured people who have been with the company and so if you are new...it's like learning in braille. It is slowly changing but they have wasted good talent and lost people who could have really contributed to company. It's been a gong show. They may be getting it now. Not sure for sales unless you concentrate in vehicle or food sales if there is a worthwhile career. If you are looking for a company with a strong culture - this isn't it. Very hands off - other than selling product they don't do much.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay what you need to - to put in place management in each region with experience. Sales reps without leadership are not very engaged and customers don't win in a commission for the money only environment.

It was a good company once upon a time.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Zep full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat products. Support people are good and want to help. Diverse customer base. You can learn alot.

ConsPoor leadership or support for high selling reps. Commission structure has not improved for the better. Non-responsive senior management. Looks like Zep will be going retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower you district manager's to make decisions that allow them to empower their people. Stop managing the company with fear. Stop treating Canada market like the US market.

Good experience but unstable

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Zep full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood people who care about what they do. Open work environment. Substantial decision-making and job autonomy. Managers tend to delegate and leave you to figure out how to get things done.

ConsManagement is not very strategic. Often resorts to layoffs to improve financial results. Individuals are often moved or promoted into positions that they are not qualified to hold.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize an external organizational consultant to create consistent practices across business units.

over worked and stressed

Chemical Sales (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Zep full-time for more than a year

Prosgood people overall and good products

Consmanagement is unresponsive to customer and sales complaints
corporate is more concerned about themselves and their bonus through cutting sales pay structure and bonus.

Painful - company in chaos

Sales (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Zep full-time for more than 3 years

Prosexcellent products
people are nice
Might be good opportunity only if people come from industry and have years to invest.
Good stepping stone

Conslack of direction for sales people
learn on your own
poor morale of sales people
lack of support locally
too may obstacles for new people to make a living like long time employees do
sales has to compete with retail big box who are selling products in canada
US treats Canada like the US

Advice to Senior ManagementHire leaders who can lead and let them do it

Sales rep

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Zep full-time for less than a year

Pros(Houston project)great manager, very supportive. Great group of people to work with.

ConsThey treat you like a sweat shop. you have a higher goal/quota every month. No structure and no standard company best practice or way of doing the job. High expectations and not given the proper tools to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time out and see how other companies are doing business and investing in employees . That way your turn over would be lower and your ROI will go up.

Worked for Zep? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zep reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zep CEO John K. Morgan. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Zep employees.