Zep Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
2.2

Zep Chairman, President, and CEO John K. Morgan
John K. Morgan

Pros
  • Good people who care about what they do (in 5 reviews)

• Smart colleagues, autonomous work life, great products (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for sales reps are very basic (in 7 reviews)

• Inside Sales team is still fairly new (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Company, Some Growing Pains, Will Thrive in the Future

I worked at Zep

Pros

Zep has some of the finest products int he specialty chemical arena. Their products can be sold to any customer at any time. While the culture is changing, it still has the feel of a smaller company.

Cons

Zep is going through a lot of growing pains currently. It is in the process of the changing the corporate culture and refocusing efforts to establish a multiple route to market strategy. Layoffs, low-employee morale and increased pressures on remaining staff make life difficult in the short term. My thought is that when these changes are complete, Zep will find it's way back to a great place to work.

Carefully consider strategies and realize that your people are your most valued asset. I have seen some talented people who have been let go due to severances and this can have negative consequences if not looked at from a case by case basis, rather than, a departmental basis.

Zep needs to improve

Former Employee - Business Systems Support  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Zep

Pros

Zep is a company that has been around for 70 years , the company has longevitiy

Cons

Some people with expereince and education get past by on new opportunites.

To use the talent you have in your department instead showing favorism to a person that is not quailfied for the job

outside 100% commish sales

Current Employee - Sales Extrordinaire
    Current Employee - Sales Extrordinaire

I have been working at Zep

Pros

you get out of it what you put into it. still a good job

Cons

some management has no clue what we do or how we do it

get to know our business before you make decisions that hurt our company. It used to be a partnership between reps and the company now it's the company against the reps, that needs to change

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rich company history with a great product portfolio.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Zep

Pros

You can earn a great living and have a lot of fun by becoming a valued part of your customers business.

Cons

Management is constantly at war with their sales force, trying to cheat them or find ways to take back sales commisions. Branch staff is treated like second class and paid poorly as well. Company moral is at a all time low. Don't look for sales support, you and your customers are on your own.

Please go away. Quit looking for that golden parachute. If you are going to stay please try talking to your staff at all levels. Embrace the rich history that you are working so hard to destroy!

Zep S & S

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Zep

Pros

Freedom to manage yourself. Zep gives you a lot of leeway to grow, many industries and opportunities within it, but despite the best efforts of management, support is lacking

Cons

If I was in the city of the physical branch, support is good. Being a satelite rep you are on your own

It would be wrong to lump any comments I had to apply to all of zep, but they are a good company in general

Ok Chemical Sales job

I worked at Zep

Pros

Good formulations
    excellent technical support staff
    average brand name recognition
    Average benefits
    some sales professionals have been with the company for 30+ years

Cons

Not the same company it was five years ago
    compensation is poor when compared to competitors
    company competes with sales reps for business
    Current executive management has commoditized the products

Stop trying to cheat your own employees out of their living
    develop new products
    Stop setting up new hires for failure

tossup

Former Employee - Salesman  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Salesman in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Zep

Pros

A chance to earn an unlimited income while making contacts that can last a life time.Good initial training. Great experience.

Cons

About 15 or 16 years ago, the upper management started a gradual turn around of what I considered the best company I had ever worked for. They started putting continous arbitrary pressure on the sales reps, picking out almost at random who they wanted to harass. For the first time they hired supervisers from outside the company, which they had previously prided themselves on not doing.

If sales reps could somehow take their accounts and leave the company,there would be no one left.. It's not the company that I joined twenty years ago.

Smoke and Mirrors!

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Zep

Pros

Decent Salary, Good promotional material, decent product. Company seems to have an established name in the marketplace and has been around for a while.

Cons

This would be a great job in an unpenetrated market, the problem is that the larger market areas are heavily oversaturated with Reps who have been with the company for years and pretty much have a stranglehold over territories. Not only do you have to compete with Auto Zone and Napa, who by the way,(sell Zep products off thier shelves for almost 40% less than you will be selling them for out of the catalouge), you also have to compete with your direct sales manager AND OTHER REPS IN YOUR HOME TOWN. Their are no protected territories and the market crunch has gotten so bad that reps from other states will come in to your market to fight for scraps.

Most of the sales objections are based on price of product plus shipping cost. The people you will be trying to sell to know that they can go to Auto Zone and buy the EXACT same handsoap for way less than you are permitted to sell it for out of the catalouge. At the current rate, Zep's existence is based on retention of old accounts. No one in this climate is willing to pay extra for basic product that can be bought at heavier discounts from Wal-mart, Sam's Club or Auto Zone

Competitors: Echolab and Kimball Mid West.

WARNING: THIS JOB IS SALES 101. BE PREPARED TO "RE-LEARN" SALES BASED ON "DEMONSTRATING" THE PRODUCT IN FRONT OF EVERY SINGLE COLD-CALL/ CUSTOMER (20 PER DAY).

YOUR MANAGERS REALLY DON'T WANT TO HIRE A NEW SALESPERSON. THEY ARE BEING FORCED TO BUY UPPER MANAGEMENT.. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR YOU. LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!

* Training consists of two days in a hotel conferance room, you won't have time to do any real studying as you will be way to busy making cold calls to fill your pipeline only to have your mangers cherry pick through it in the end! You are really just being paid to generate leads for your mngrs. SMOKE AND MIRRORS!

Take a serious look at the management skills of your sales reps before you promote them to train others. Why do you think you can't hang on to talent?

* Give your new employees at least a few days to learn the product! If your going to throw them to the wolves, at least let them be half-way prepared.

Great

I have been working at Zep

Pros

Temporary employee but great management

Cons

Temporary so no room for advancement

Nice place to work for and good opportunities to grow.

I have been working at Zep

Pros

The company is sized just right to allow for employee interaction. Good work gets recognized and employees are encouraged to excel. Good people.

Cons

Like any other growing companies there are growing pains and change is not always easily understood or appreciated.

Worked for Zep? Contribute to the Community!