Zep Reviews

Reset

Frustrating

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Glendale Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Glendale Heights, IL

I have been working at Zep (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance 401k vacation pay. Coworkers are pleasant. lol don't have anything else to add.

Cons

Very limiting. Comp plan rewards those who sell less. After a year your best bet is to move on. Not much hope for positive change.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste my time, they don't act on feedback.

2. Dysfunctional

I worked at Zep full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a competent, self-motivated marketing team. If you're in that department, I think you can find better opportunities than others might find. Because of that group, you can feel a sense of pride in the products sold.

Cons

The top level executive teams suffers from a few dysfunctional leaders. Not all of them are bad, just a few. If you go to work at Zep, I hope you get to work for one of the few principled leaders there, or you could end up on the chopping block.

Advice to Management

Remove those few dysfunctional top level executives and replace them with principled leadership.

3. Territory Sales

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Zep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and fun environment. great perks.

Cons

Limited potential for advancement and difficult pay plan to understand and maximize.

5. Great Company

Pros

Pay is great and the place is clean.

Cons

A lot of politics all the time.

6. Warehouse employee

Former Employee - Warehouse Assistant in DeSoto, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Assistant in DeSoto, TX

I worked at Zep full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay Good hours mon-fri 730am to 400pm Benefits ok

Cons

Managers do not listen to employees output.

Would never recommend to anyone. Bonus plan is unsustainable, setup for failure no matter how good you are at your job.

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at Zep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, friendly environment. Flexible working hours, can take half hour lunch and leave at 4:30 or take hour and leave at 5. Can arrive as late as 8:30 and leave at 5 or 5:30 depending on lunch arrangement

Cons

Don't even know where to start they're countless; Slim to no advancement opportunities (they consider moving to outside sales a promotion) Bonus plan is a joke. It's a fancy pyramid scheme with capped earnings each month. Grow your accounts and achieve 100% quota then following year your responsible for growing the number again on top of what you grew the previous year completely unsustainable model. They will tell you commissions are uncapped which they technically are but don't fall for this, as it is only for the quarterly which 1% - 50% growth nets you 1% commission on sales (100% nets you 2.5% which is very few and far between). They tell you you're salary but you are paid hourly as a non-exempt employee. Meaning when the building closes you don't get paid, and your must accrue your vacation and sick times. Rules change constantly; can't do this, can't do that, have to do it this way now. Management is a joke Constant scrutiny on work, manager sitting with people listening to calls, etc

Advice to Management

Grow up. Focus on sales instead of pointless metrics and everything that doesn't have to do with sales. Change bonus plan so people can actually make money.

Stagnant

I have been working at Zep full-time

Pros

Solid work life balance, good company values and strong product line and market awareness.

Cons

Conflicting channels, poor, old school policies.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick with it too much channel conflict and customer confusion.

9. good job

I have been working at Zep (Less than a year)

Pros

this was a good job

Cons

I LIKE THE PEOPLE THERE

10. Lackluster Job

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Zep full-time

Pros

None that i can think of

Cons

Poor management, Poor sales support. Extreme cold calling with no marketing support. Management really does not help new hires to build business. One step away from contract employee. Benefits are sub par at best.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of onboarding and get rid of the sales guys that have been here a lifetime and give new talent a chance.

11. Was much better in the 80's and 90's

Former Employee - Outsides Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Outsides Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Zep full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started in 1985 unlimited earning potential. Built a good business. Under that president you were valued and excited about the company and your future. People looked at a Zep Rep as a professional. As a partner with their business. Not just a commodity broker, like they are trying to be now.

Cons

In the early 2000 the higher ups wanted to get rid on the sales people that built the ZEP name. When they went to shareholders customers and sales force were not as valuable. Between inside sales lying to my customers to get orders and all the box stores selling ZEP the writing was on the wall for many of us. So I took my 20 plus years direct sales experience and am working for a company with values that values me.

Advice to Management

My boss was finally fire a year after I transferred because of his lying to me and customers. When you get complaints follow up on them. The customers pay the bills don't be so distant from them and your sales force..

RSS Feed </> Embed