Zep

Updated November 25, 2014
2.4

Zep Chairman, President, and CEO John K. Morgan
John K. Morgan

Pros
  • Good people who care about what they do (in 5 reviews)

• Smart colleagues, autonomous work life, great products (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for sales reps are very basic (in 7 reviews)

• Inside Sales team is still fairly new (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good People

I worked at Zep

Pros

The people there were great to work with very flexible and acted more like mentors.

Cons

Not really big on promoting from within

It started out great, like a family but then they became cold and hard on sales reps.

Former Employee - Chemical Sales
    Former Employee - Chemical Sales

I worked at Zep

Pros

Started out as a great job that I could build my own business and work my own hours. When they went public it was then all about the shareholders and making money. Even my customers were not valued like they should have been

Cons

Too many major changes in the company from 2005 on up. My old manager didn't know what he was doing and the higher ups didn't know or want to hear how bad his management skills were. He was later fired I heard.

Get back to the basics like Harry M. ran it. Value your employees and they will value you.

pound the pavement

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Zep

Pros

They provide all the support you need from management and other sales reps as well as products for samples.

Cons

If after 6 months you aren't making enough sales they give you a short time frame to achieve the sales goals or you are done with Zep.

Help new sales reps that do not have experience by showing them how to find potential customers. Going door to door is not an effective method for finding new business.

tossup

Former Employee - Salesman in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Salesman in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Zep

Pros

A chance to earn an unlimited income while making contacts that can last a life time.Good initial training. Great experience.

Cons

About 15 or 16 years ago, the upper management started a gradual turn around of what I considered the best company I had ever worked for. They started putting continous arbitrary pressure on the sales reps, picking out almost at random who they wanted to harass. For the first time they hired supervisers from outside the company, which they had previously prided themselves on not doing.

If sales reps could somehow take their accounts and leave the company,there would be no one left.. It's not the company that I joined twenty years ago.

Zep S & S

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Zep

Pros

Freedom to manage yourself. Zep gives you a lot of leeway to grow, many industries and opportunities within it, but despite the best efforts of management, support is lacking

Cons

If I was in the city of the physical branch, support is good. Being a satelite rep you are on your own

It would be wrong to lump any comments I had to apply to all of zep, but they are a good company in general

Rich company history with a great product portfolio.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Zep

Pros

You can earn a great living and have a lot of fun by becoming a valued part of your customers business.

Cons

Management is constantly at war with their sales force, trying to cheat them or find ways to take back sales commisions. Branch staff is treated like second class and paid poorly as well. Company moral is at a all time low. Don't look for sales support, you and your customers are on your own.

Please go away. Quit looking for that golden parachute. If you are going to stay please try talking to your staff at all levels. Embrace the rich history that you are working so hard to destroy!

Solid Company, Some Growing Pains, Will Thrive in the Future

I worked at Zep

Pros

Zep has some of the finest products int he specialty chemical arena. Their products can be sold to any customer at any time. While the culture is changing, it still has the feel of a smaller company.

Cons

Zep is going through a lot of growing pains currently. It is in the process of the changing the corporate culture and refocusing efforts to establish a multiple route to market strategy. Layoffs, low-employee morale and increased pressures on remaining staff make life difficult in the short term. My thought is that when these changes are complete, Zep will find it's way back to a great place to work.

Carefully consider strategies and realize that your people are your most valued asset. I have seen some talented people who have been let go due to severances and this can have negative consequences if not looked at from a case by case basis, rather than, a departmental basis.

Going downhill rapidly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeSoto, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeSoto, TX

I have been working at Zep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. I've had worse jobs, but I've also had better. Hours are reasonable and run 6-2:30pm so you miss out on the crazy Dallas rush hour traffic. Benefits are decent once corporate makes up their mind whether or not they want to hire you (6 months to more than a year).

Cons

Management doesn't give a damn about anything besides covering their own butts when they mess up. No one takes responsibility for their own actions, including the CEO, so all meetings turn into blame games where nothing of worth gets done. Headquarters in Atlanta doesn't like to stoop down and communicate any information to other plants and acts like any question about processes or clarification is a complete and utter waste of their time. Corporate refuses to spend money investing in any other location other than Atlanta so the rest of the plants have been forced to meet ridiculously high standards set by Atlanta (that they don't even follow themselves; they've gotten in trouble with the EPA several times). If you're a woman, DO NOT work in production. This is a blatantly sexist company with very few women anywhere, and the male employees love to make comments about nagging, psychotic, useless womenfolk who just get in the way. Complaints to HR go nowhere; the complainant is accused of starting the harassment in the first place. No room for advancement at Zep either.

Stop the "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude. Quit treating your employees as stupid children that need to be supervised at all times and get upset when employees lie about what's actually going on in the company when every "state of the company" address is a bunch of lies about how great everything is going. We're not stupid; business has dropped severely in the past year due to overall incompetence. The pervasive "It's not my fault" attitude is turning the whole company apathetic and looking to bail at the first chance.

Management Consulting firms ex-employees give you this?

Former Employee - Outsides Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Outsides Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Zep full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Once an historic firm. Wonderful pdts. Nice lab personnel.

Cons

Biggest issue this firm, like so many have had happened to them, is hiring debunked former Management Consulting industry people. They are clueless in actually running a business. Oh they're ok at their old employer?, but transferring their talents to the real world is near impossible. Lie to employees. Horrendous inflated shipping charges to clients and Zep's own sales force. From distributors, warehouse member types, inside sales and dumping your own different sales brands reps into an actual Zep Rep's territory are morally deflating - as in the "throw it against the wall" syndrome. All the top tier management cares about is what's in my pocket, after the reps have an actual blood-letting among themselves -> mgm't cares zilch about who is left standing in a territory, I want mine. All this stems from the top jocks knowing next to nothing about literal sales.

Extremely poor at the very top then the poor filters down and eventually ALL employees know cut throat force reductions occur, simply because bosses could only sell themselves to Directors, et al to get their positions - they cannot sell ice in the summertime. It does no good to advise mgm't of anything. Directors and stakeholders look at bottom lines and they run the roost. Such a shame the careers mgm't causes employees to shed.

The story changes once you are inside.

I have been working at Zep full-time

Pros

You get a good start at Zep. But start looking for a job after a year if you want to further your career.

Cons

After the first couple of years, if you last that long, things go down hill. You find out there is no such thing as a career path. Yes there are people here with longevity, but they have been in the same position for 5, even 10 years. You have to work under constant pressure of being laid off. Zep operates in a continual cycle of layoffs. Its not that the managers are totally incompetent, they are afraid to do their jobs because they are also expendable. The executives WILL get their bonuses and they don't care what they have to do to get them.

Find some other ways to manage your expenses and fund your bonuses other than at the costs of your employees. And how about sharing those bonuses with the rest of us.