Zetron

Add Photos

Ellen O'Hara

Excellent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsThe company designs, develops and manufactures mission critical communication software for public safety, transportation and utility companies. You are part of an amazing team doing amazing work when you are an employee here. The dress code is business casual attire, the culture is respectful and friendly, there is an open door policy for all levels of mgmt., the CEO is accessible, a lot of positive efforts for employee engagement i.e. CEO Roundtable and employee socials, and there is opportunity for career advancement.

ConsSome levels of mgmt. are resistant to change.

Family style atmosphere

ProsGreat people, slowly but surely moving ahead. Fairly stable and they make a great product.

ConsA bit too much of micro-managment. Senior management needs to not think "this is always the way we've done it" and attempt to embrace new ways of doing things.

Good Company!

ProsGreat people to work with. Reputed product. Good work-life balance.

ConsDoesn't do much for individual career portfolio.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to channel existing talent to do more innovations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The 1st impression cannot tell you all.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGood office location. Better 401K match. Nice HR people, and friendly colleagues at the first impression. Sharp project managers, great contract fulfillment and tech support team. Could be an easy/relax job for someone (who can manage to survive in first couple years).

ConsNo personal career/growth path.

No performance review for individual annually or quarterly - not sure what all based on to give a raise/promotion. (it would have to really be fought for!)

Chaos in management. In a small/mid-size organization, too many layers/levels (lead/supervisor for 1~2, manager for a half dozen less, director for a group of 20+) of management/leadership where all your lead/managers are checking status without understanding who is really working on something.

Many legacy in an old fashion prevent from innovation.

No teamwork, individual view/idea are not appreciated (unless for a dictator with strong opinions or a favorite of your manager).

Low quality support from IT with inexperienced staff and slow responsiveness.

Poor test engineering, in both concept and leadership.

Out-dated infrastructure, server/database technologies; lack of engineering tools.

Poorly implemented processes and procedures, in so-called "Agile" methodologies.

Under-average pay, more overtime than needed.

Politics in R&D .

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce layers of management (size won't guarantee success); reward hard-working and real contributors; value individual growth.

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual, friendly atmosphere. Mostly not "level-conscious". Multiple opportunities to shadow other jobs and network at company gatherings like picnics, ice cream Friday's and barbeques. Charitable organization and caring individuals

ConsPoor or conflicting direction from management. Characteristics one manager likes, another downgrades. Water cooler politics are alive and well here. No staff meetings in my work pod during my employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get along with one another and remember you have the same end game. Create job matrix plans for each job. Describe each job in detail so employees know what is expected of them and hold them accountable. Do an individual employee review regularly.

Decent company, pretty good values, but stodgy. Not much sizzle.

N/A (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsA fairly flat org, so things can happen quickly. Relaxed atmosphere. A good place to hang out for a couple of years. Products have good reputation.

ConsMgrs and sr. staff tend to be engineers and not great with people. Not much room for career growth. Even though its a technologically oriented company, it's behind the curve in its use of technology in the job environment. This can limit employees who work here when it comes to keeping skills current.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat people at all levels as if they matter as much as you think you do.

Overstaffed chain of command in a 50M company

Engineer Lead (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsMission-critical product/industry, historical reputation, relaxed working environment (depends on team/group/department), fuzzy/loose deadline, flexible working hours, soft management, friendly colleagues/co-workers, a nice building with hiking trails around ...

ConsSoftware product quality in bad shape (but still okay within its own industry standard), badly or less-organized team/project/process (even with many different leads/managers on top of everything), all sort of craziness/stretch on product release, lack of diversity, business or technical decision can be dictated (instead of thru an open channel), and overstaffed leads/supervisors/managers plus seniors checking status (instead of providing real support to individual who actually work on the assignment)

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce management, simplify process, and encourage diversity (of opinions, ideas, and innovation)

May not work for you

ProsGreat products (at least within the industry), typical benefit (better 401K match 5%), nice people (most of them easy going), nice neighborhood environment (e.g. good for after-lunch hiking), relatively flexible time (but varied workload from team to team)

ConsMany levels of leads and managers (in such a mid/small-size organization) ends up doing nothing but meeting and talking - normally no consequence from missing deadlines or shipping a bad product (as long as one can talk to it or play with the word).

For engineers, not much career path to grow (unless one likes to move up into the bureaucracy and politics). Individual performance is not based on the contribution but more likely per feelings, rumors, favorites, or what cliques to fit in.

Bottomline, there might be a comfortable spot if one trying to retire in such a legacy company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEver count how many leads and managers needed to roll a ball? Yes, it is the ball rolling, not a product! Procedures/process/management can never solve issues/problems. It is each individual that how a company can provide support, inspriation, encouragement, and care for.

Was a very good company to work for, then leadership changed.

Sales Engineer (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGreat culture, fantastic co-workers. Real good work-life balance.

ConsSenior staff allows middle management to make all the decisions (and they're mostly bad). Old school engineers trying to develop cutting edge technology - and failing. Some managers have formed cliques and if you aren't in it then you're a nobody.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior staff - start doing your job, you are firing the wrong people and you know it.

Best Kept Secret in Redmond, WA

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsHaving been employed, at Zetron for just over seven years, the noticeable change came in the form of the current CEO just over three years ago. With her vision, came her hand picked team to help my company thrive in ways I had not seen since early employment. The head of sales made instrumental and much needed changes within his department in order to effectively drive this company forward in a market place that had been hard hit by an unforeseen economic future. Today that passion and leadership has transended to me as an individual, my department and bringing each department together working as one company. The sense of value one feels when walking through the doors each day to work, is priceless.

ConsThere are many meetings that one attends. Some more than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider a four day work week year round. Van pools from all areas, onsite exercise room.

Worked for Zetron? Contribute to the Community!