Zhone Technologies

Add Photos

Zhone Technologies Chairman, President, and CEO Mory Ejabat

Mory Ejabat

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good potential, but not much to gain working here

Engineer (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsPoor company, it soo cheap not to ugprade their computers (still running Pentium4 with WinXP); using test instruments which are 15-20 years old (no calibrations, many instruments were failing/went bad already).
    Employee turnover is high in this company; many new hired end up left the comp. Only the senior bunches stay.
    No formal software design, no design doc (if there's, it's more than 10 yrs old), new engineers must learn the architecture only from code.

No bonus, no 401k match, no salary rise.

ConsLess politics, visibilty to upper management. They let certain employees to work from home (but, be careful with their expectation).
    It is located in Bay Area, but the management's mentality is not SV's mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your engineers! they're also humans, don't push them to work like dogs. Practically there is no really a break (eventhough they do not verbally ask us to work on weekends, in really they do by giving you many work loads).

OK place to gain different experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsAlmost no politics (except probably in higher management); exposed to various access technologies; flexible working hours (even working from home sometimes); free sodas; free lunch every friday; relatively quiet environment;

ConsExpect only salary as the source of income (plus benefits). No bonus, no 401k match, no raise, rubbish stock price, stagnant IT facilities (imagine using a pentium4 to develop software with the first generation 15" LCD screen in a cubicle shared with another coworker); horrible software engineering process (no design docs, inefficient code commit)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management needs more active in finding a road map. What, Where and when the company to be in 1,3,5 years and create strategies to achieve that.

Literally depressing

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThere are some smart engineers at this company. Management orders in pizza on Fridays.

ConsWorst job I've ever had. Atmosphere is noisy and boisterous. Difficult to concentrate. Employees are arrogant and have open contempt for their customers. I've heard a product manager call his customers "idiots". On Sundays, as I contemplated returning to work at Zhone, I would slide into a depression that would last all week. Friday afternoons it would begin to lift. One of my happiest days was the day I quit this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create an atmosphere of cooperation and friendliness instead of a culture of hired guns who hate their customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst place I've ever worked

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsSome of the smartest people I've ever worked with are employed here

ConsAbsolutely the most oppressive environment I have ever worked. The stock grants are a joke since they are continuously reverse split into nothing.

Worked for Zhone Technologies? Contribute to the Community!