Zhone Technologies Reviews

Updated June 17, 2014

2.5

Zhone Technologies Chairman, President, and CEO Mory Ejabat
Mory Ejabat

Nice and open-minded managers, very active in term of developing new products

I have been working at Zhone Technologies

Pros

OK salary, high visibility to management, a lot of opportunity to explore different area of the technologies (not stuck in one feature over and over), stock price is now jumping up; allow work from home once a while

Cons

No 401k match, no bonus (so far), no RSU

Upgrade the infrastructure, the company still uses 7+ years of PCs

Good potential, but not much to gain working here

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Zhone Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Poor company, it soo cheap not to ugprade their computers (still running Pentium4 with WinXP); using test instruments which are 15-20 years old (no calibrations, many instruments were failing/went bad already).
    Employee turnover is high in this company; many new hired end up left the comp. Only the senior bunches stay.
    No formal software design, no design doc (if there's, it's more than 10 yrs old), new engineers must learn the architecture only from code.

No bonus, no 401k match, no salary rise.

Cons

Less politics, visibilty to upper management. They let certain employees to work from home (but, be careful with their expectation).
    It is located in Bay Area, but the management's mentality is not SV's mentality.

Appreciate your engineers! they're also humans, don't push them to work like dogs. Practically there is no really a break (eventhough they do not verbally ask us to work on weekends, in really they do by giving you many work loads).

OK place to gain different experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Zhone Technologies full-time

Pros

Almost no politics (except probably in higher management); exposed to various access technologies; flexible working hours (even working from home sometimes); free sodas; free lunch every friday; relatively quiet environment;

Cons

Expect only salary as the source of income (plus benefits). No bonus, no 401k match, no raise, rubbish stock price, stagnant IT facilities (imagine using a pentium4 to develop software with the first generation 15" LCD screen in a cubicle shared with another coworker); horrible software engineering process (no design docs, inefficient code commit)

The upper management needs more active in finding a road map. What, Where and when the company to be in 1,3,5 years and create strategies to achieve that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely challenging position in a fast pace, highly competitive industry.

I worked at Zhone Technologies full-time

Pros

Zhone endeavors to stay on the leading edge of technology and provides equipment to telecommunication service providers around the world.

Cons

Telecommunications is a highly competitive industry with extremely demanding customers that challenge Zhone's ability to stay competitive and keep its customers satisfied.

Understand and appreciate the role and contribution of each and every employee.

Great Environment and People

Current Employee - Manufacturing  in  Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Largo, FL

I have been working at Zhone Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company has a very great working environment and nice people to work with. Good balance of work and job life.

Cons

A bit mundane at times

Get the stocks up!

Literally depressing

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Zhone Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some smart engineers at this company. Management orders in pizza on Fridays.

Cons

Worst job I've ever had. Atmosphere is noisy and boisterous. Difficult to concentrate. Employees are arrogant and have open contempt for their customers. I've heard a product manager call his customers "idiots". On Sundays, as I contemplated returning to work at Zhone, I would slide into a depression that would last all week. Friday afternoons it would begin to lift. One of my happiest days was the day I quit this job.

Try to create an atmosphere of cooperation and friendliness instead of a culture of hired guns who hate their customers.

Worst place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Zhone Technologies

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with are employed here

Cons

Absolutely the most oppressive environment I have ever worked. The stock grants are a joke since they are continuously reverse split into nothing.

Extremely challenging

I worked at Zhone Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Highly technical, bleeding edge products in an extremely competitive market that demands always available voice, video and data systems. Small enough company that individual contribution is very important to the company's success.

Cons

Highly politically charged environment with very little regard to employee satisfaction and/or reward for hard work and contributions. Very little consistent corporate direction and plan for stability let alone growth.

Devise a plan that would not only stabilize the company, stop the bleeding but provide a potential for survival and even growth. Treat the employees like you care for them and their future.

Worked for Zhone Technologies? Contribute to the Community!