Ziff Brothers Investments

IT ENGINEER

Former Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Owners/founders. They are a real family operated firm and they care about all of their employees. Culture us great fun with summer outings for your entire family not just your spouse or employees only. Free gourmet lunches daily and a full gym inside the office are great pluses.

Cons

The manager at the time was abusing his authority and position to exploit and use staff to his advantage leveraging job security.

Top management are doing a fine job as they have made changes and are listening to the employees to make it a great work place

Grass is greener

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good pay considering how little work you can get away with. All sorts of nice extras like free food, gym. They are very secretive about performance, and don't seem to actually care so long as they keep up appearances, so there is little work-related pressure.

Cons

There's no relationship between the quality of someone's work and how they are treated (promotions, pay) within the organization. Several managers regularly shock the organization with their incompetence. All energy is focused on keeping higher-ups entertained and navigating the politics.

You put exactly the wrong people in charge. There are some talented people in the middle ranks, but the best will find somewhere else to work as you promote those you find most entertaining.

Incredible work culture.

I have been working at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time

Pros

Everyone in this company got treated with the same level of respect regardless of their position. ZBI genuinely cared about their employees and promoted a healthy work-life balance. Hands down the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for, period.

Cons

None, however the company recently restructured.

Hubris, Free Fall

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are friends with the top folks and don't like doing any actual work. This company has minted many millionaires out of people not qualified for almost any serious job.

Cons

If you are ambitious, hard working, and don't like office politics, you will be miserable. Watch your back - there are a lot of mistakes being made at this place all the time, and someone somewhere is always looking for someone to blame. Grow some thick skin - the professional culture is toxic.

Hire some grown-ups to manage your money for you.

Incredible office culture that was truly like a family.

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits, office culture, great work-life balance.

Cons

I can honestly say there were none.

Micro-management seem to trickle down from the top.

Solid company

I have been working at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great.

Cons

There is a lack of upward mobility.

Simply Bizarre

Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Risk and Performance Department in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very comfortable work environment. Lots of fringe benefits and entertainment.

Cons

I was hired to replace an outgoing employee and manage a group of existing employees. Some of my team were very good, most average, and a few were obvious underperformers. After our first round of annual reviews I realized I had responsibility for the team, but no real authority. Some of the worst performers had been at the company they had developed political connections the made them untouchable. This was frustrating for me, and very discouraging for the other genuinely ambitious, hard working members of the team. Several of them left, and eventually so did I.

The inheritance insulates the business from the basic disciplining force of economics. About 20% of the people seem to be doing any actual work, and a further 20% seem to be in some kind pretend-work mode.

Dilbert with perks

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Ziff Brothers Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very generous compensation, benefits, perks. The family members are genuinely good people.

Cons

If someone is personally liked by management but conspicuously failing in their job they are promoted, relieved of any direct responsibilities but given authority over others. There is an obnoxious obsession with having an MBA. Several managers seem to enjoy wasting others' time and flaunting their laziness over subordinates. A great deal of energy is wasted trying to navigate internal politics.

Consider how many of the top 25 people in the firm were hired and promoted because they are your personal friends. Consider how many very talented people you invested in, then watched them take their skills elsewhere when they got fed up with the politics.

good benefits and people

I have been working at Ziff Brothers Investments

Pros

lots of perks: free food, nice people, gym
    good healthcare benefits

Cons

prone to micromanagement and reliance on military-like reporting structure

Amazing coworkers, building, and unbelievable job perks!

Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Brothers Investments as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch daily, amazing volunteer experiences, and department events resulting in upbeat, warm, and friendly employees

Cons

There is micromanagment in the reception department