Ziff Brothers Investments

Add Photos

Ziff Brothers Investments Co-Chairman Dirk Ziff & Robert Ziff

Dirk Ziff & Robert Ziff

Incredible work culture.

ProsEveryone in this company got treated with the same level of respect regardless of their position. ZBI genuinely cared about their employees and promoted a healthy work-life balance. Hands down the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for, period.

ConsNone, however the company recently restructured.

Hubris, Free Fall

Senior Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis is a great place to work if you are friends with the top folks and don't like doing any actual work. This company has minted many millionaires out of people not qualified for almost any serious job.

ConsIf you are ambitious, hard working, and don't like office politics, you will be miserable. Watch your back - there are a lot of mistakes being made at this place all the time, and someone somewhere is always looking for someone to blame. Grow some thick skin - the professional culture is toxic.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some grown-ups to manage your money for you.

Incredible office culture that was truly like a family.

Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIncredible benefits, office culture, great work-life balance.

ConsI can honestly say there were none.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro-management seem to trickle down from the top.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company

ProsWork life balance is great.

ConsThere is a lack of upward mobility.

Simply Bizarre

Senior Analyst, Risk and Performance Department (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery comfortable work environment. Lots of fringe benefits and entertainment.

ConsI was hired to replace an outgoing employee and manage a group of existing employees. Some of my team were very good, most average, and a few were obvious underperformers. After our first round of annual reviews I realized I had responsibility for the team, but no real authority. Some of the worst performers had been at the company they had developed political connections the made them untouchable. This was frustrating for me, and very discouraging for the other genuinely ambitious, hard working members of the team. Several of them left, and eventually so did I.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe inheritance insulates the business from the basic disciplining force of economics. About 20% of the people seem to be doing any actual work, and a further 20% seem to be in some kind pretend-work mode.

Dilbert with perks

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery generous compensation, benefits, perks. The family members are genuinely good people.

ConsIf someone is personally liked by management but conspicuously failing in their job they are promoted, relieved of any direct responsibilities but given authority over others. There is an obnoxious obsession with having an MBA. Several managers seem to enjoy wasting others' time and flaunting their laziness over subordinates. A great deal of energy is wasted trying to navigate internal politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how many of the top 25 people in the firm were hired and promoted because they are your personal friends. Consider how many very talented people you invested in, then watched them take their skills elsewhere when they got fed up with the politics.

good benefits and people

Proslots of perks: free food, nice people, gym
    good healthcare benefits

Consprone to micromanagement and reliance on military-like reporting structure

Amazing coworkers, building, and unbelievable job perks!

Receptionist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree breakfast and lunch daily, amazing volunteer experiences, and department events resulting in upbeat, warm, and friendly employees

ConsThere is micromanagment in the reception department

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work and personal life balance

ConsPromotions may not be merit based.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency an dmeritocracy

High turnover in London

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany offers good perks like free breakfast and lunch, gym in the office.

ConsManagers claim they want candour and openness in the office, but the culture feels restrictive. There is high employee turnover despite the good perks because managers have dismissive attitudes and poor people skills. Employees do not feel comfortable speaking up, and when they do, managers are not responsive and are more concerned with protecting their own position. It was not a fun place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management in the US should take note of the high turnover in London and look into the causes. Surely it is not always the departing employee's fault that they did not "fit" into the culture or were unhappy.

Worked for Ziff Brothers Investments? Contribute to the Community!