Ziff Davis Media

Updated Feb 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vivek Shah

Ziff Davis is average across the board, average pay, average products, average management, average carrer growth.

Lead Generation Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media full-time for more than a year

ProsZiff Davis has a very young and friendly work force. The average age range is from 25-35. The management is very hands off and are good people at heart. The business has been acquired twice in the past 2 years by larger companies so they must be doing something right from an outside perspective.

ConsThere is very little carrer growth and or training/development. There are no incentives outside of you base salary to work for the company and everyone from management down to entry level employees are complacent. The product are mis represented to the clients and there is little support from management on a daily basis. I have not had a performance review in 2+b years

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide you employees with more incentives (stock, bonus, profit sharing ect) Management should be more proactive with their employees in the sense of carrer growth and training/development.

Ziff Davis, Inc. is like a startup with decades of success

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media full-time for more than a year

Prosfast paced, entrepreneurial culture
management encourages intelligent, informed risk-taking
"work hard, play hard and win often" mentality
all the good traits of an established, successful brand with the freedom and excitement of a startup

Constech vertical getting a bit long in the tooth

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up the policy on remote working so people feel more free to work from home more frequently

Corporate politics.

I worked at Ziff Davis Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent Mentor, health benefits, gym reimbursement (limited),

ConsThe whole "Perception is reality" thing, where you always had to seem busy, no one believed in efficient work, lied about a raise

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting so much time trying to force everyone to pretend to be busy, focus on where we can find efficiency and give that time to the employees, they would be a lot more willing to go the extra mile

Fun place to work with startup mentality and enterprise issues.

Sales Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media

ProsGreat schedule, easy job, little supervision, competitive salary and compensation, great work/life balance.

ConsStartup that got bought by a bigger, small company. Management growth is making early mistakes and going through growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore performance feedback and clear explanation of goals and future initiatives.

Working for one of 1up.com was one of the best times of my life.

I worked at Ziff Davis Media

ProsFreedom of expression. Creative licence. Great people.

ConsLack of cohesive leadership. Upper management has a hard time relating to workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make deals with the Devil. Focus on what makes Ziff great, not on the company stock price.

Old media trying to be new again

I worked at Ziff Davis Media

ProsGood place for young people to work to find out how media really works. Some good content, mainly reviews. Top notch analyst team.

ConsLots of editorial is basically content farm stuff, very SEO driven. Tech of the site is years behind competitors. Site does not put readers first, and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementSite needs to be rethought from top to bottom. Way too much clutter. Rethink or scrap content farm stuff. Switch to different CMS.

Great old company doing amazing new things

Prosentrepreneurial growing innovative supportive
smart supportive aggressive leadership

Consneed more time for legacy old business to become thing of the past

A company of number crunchers

Foster City, CA

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media

ProsGood opportunity to learn about the technical publishing world.

ConsEverything is financially driven. There is no credible mission statement or focus for the company beyond making the owners more money. There is no interest in soliciting the view, opinions, ideas, and contributions of the employees and staff. It is pretty autocratic where employees must do as they are told, even in situations where the employees have ideas to save costs or increase revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are not interested in hearing any advice; they have made that very clear.

Since the magazine folded it hasn't been the same

I worked at Ziff Davis Media

ProsThere used to be a lot of events and parties that were really great and showed us we were appreciated.

ConsThe management was chauvinistic at times and their inability to make the magazine a viable entity was inexcusable. They could have kept it afloat but bad management and cost cutting without considering the effects killed it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe there should be a review of how the management performs and the way they speak to and treat their staff. Instead of yelling at people and berating them then laughing about it later which I saw happen on two different occasions.

Welcome to Initech

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media

ProsIt's a tight knit community of nerds. people are really nice but shy. this is not the kind of place where people get together outside of work. kind of place where there are not enough people to do the job so you can take on as much as you can handle which can be good or bad depending.

ConsNO MONEY to do ANYTHING. Salary reductions plus increase workload = not fun. sometimes i can't find printer paper. depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect answers about our salary reinstatement would be nice. be respectful enough to treat all of us like adults and tell us what is going on. There is nothing as insulting as asking a question and having that question ignored.

Worked for Ziff Davis Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ziff Davis Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ziff Davis Media CEO Vivek Shah. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Ziff Davis Media employees.