Ziff Davis Media

Updated May 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vivek Shah

A company of number crunchers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGood opportunity to learn about the technical publishing world.

ConsEverything is financially driven. There is no credible mission statement or focus for the company beyond making the owners more money. There is no interest in soliciting the view, opinions, ideas, and contributions of the employees and staff. It is pretty autocratic where employees must do as they are told, even in situations where the employees have ideas to save costs or increase revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are not interested in hearing any advice; they have made that very clear.

Since the magazine folded it hasn't been the same

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere used to be a lot of events and parties that were really great and showed us we were appreciated.

ConsThe management was chauvinistic at times and their inability to make the magazine a viable entity was inexcusable. They could have kept it afloat but bad management and cost cutting without considering the effects killed it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe there should be a review of how the management performs and the way they speak to and treat their staff. Instead of yelling at people and berating them then laughing about it later which I saw happen on two different occasions.

Welcome to Initech

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt's a tight knit community of nerds. people are really nice but shy. this is not the kind of place where people get together outside of work. kind of place where there are not enough people to do the job so you can take on as much as you can handle which can be good or bad depending.

ConsNO MONEY to do ANYTHING. Salary reductions plus increase workload = not fun. sometimes i can't find printer paper. depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect answers about our salary reinstatement would be nice. be respectful enough to treat all of us like adults and tell us what is going on. There is nothing as insulting as asking a question and having that question ignored.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to work in a tough environment

Editor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsZD is still one of the best recognized brands when it comes to technology publishing. It provides good benefits and a good work/life balance.

ConsCurrently very strapped due to the economic environment. You're not likely to get a job offer, because they're probably not hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of print.

Great people and spirit, but missed opportunities from frugal approach

Senior Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat editorial staff, good collaborative environment, nice people, lots of energy

ConsShort term vision of senior management needs to be corrected.

Advice to Senior ManagementC-level executives don't trust their employees enough, manage too much to the bottom line without managing the people that get them there. It's not all about deals and profits/losses, but the people that make it happen. I saw a lot of decisions to reduce costs that reduced revenue by more than costs cut because of negative side effects. Stop managing for the short-term.

a great place for tech fans, but an uncertain future?

A Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsZD is a really great place if you love technology and an opportunity to work in a professional Internet publishing business. the company is small enough now so you get exposed to lots of things. mostly nice, competent people, and not much obvious politics. the ziff davis name still means something in media and technology and it's something to live up to.

ConsThe company's financial situation is very tight, conserving cash, always seems to be cutting. a lot of the business was sold off or closed during the past year, though not without reason. it can be tough to stay motivated.

Advice to Senior Managementmanage like you believe the company has a future beyond being sold at the earliest opportunity.

Great place to work for, just uncertain about future.

Choose Not to Answer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsZD has given me an opportunity to grow and learn a lot from what I do. Management is very competent and knows the business very well. They do not shy away from teaching both in house and off site.

ConsJob security is a little bit up in the air due to the recent actions by the company. (Chapter 11 March - July, discontinuation of PC Magazine) Also, I think having CBS interactive in the same building as ZD in the NYC office is a little bit weird.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little bit more transparent with what is REALLY going on with the company rather than employees hearing it from press.

Priorities

Editorial (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay is decent compared to competing companies, and day to day work life is fun. For the most part, it's a good group of people that get along and are good at what they do.

ConsThe company is very tight with the purse strings, and good ideas can turn sour from lack of corporate support. ZD takes a hard-sell marketing approach to everything, and we tend to fail at putting products together that users will like as much as advertisors. Editorial input appears to be greatly lacking in company decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your web properties, hire some ad guys that can actually sell a print mag, and remember that your customers are your readers, not your advertisors. Advertisors are paying for access to your audience, not the other way around. If you continue to alienate your audience, eventually there won't be anything left to sell.

Some great people but a dying industry

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSolid editorial, sales and marketing organization makes it a great place to learn the business. Many smart people work here and if you have the right manager, you can learn a lot.

ConsThe industry is in decline and Ziff hasn't responded effectively to any of the challenges presented to the print publishing business in the past 15 years. Endlessly reorganizing and restucturing the organization seems to be the only tactic they have. Layoffs have been a constant for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any, they are in a tough spot and I'm not sure their problems are fixable.

Pretty good company coming out of tough times

Editor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible, good people. They treat workers pretty well. I can't complain about the people I work with at all. Working conditions are good and there's not a lot of politics to deal with.

ConsCompany's financial situation hasn't been good. Hopefully that is resolved now. I'd like to see higher salaries and bonuses given to internet editorial staff based on the page views they generate for the company. If somebody is generating a lot of page views consistently give them a bonus. They need an editorial incentive plan for internet employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart giving out christmas bonuses again. Even a couple of hundred bucks is appreciated. Give people something to look forward to since stock options probably aren't in the cards anytime soon.

Worked for Ziff Davis Media? Contribute to the Community!