Ziff Davis Media

Updated November 25, 2014
3.1

Vivek Shah

Satisfied

I worked at Ziff Davis Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthy work/life balance and good benefits

Cons

Traditional company. Hard to innovate and really be creative.

Smart, talented people who respect one another

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to explore working in a stable company with a rich history, but still feel like you are at a start up. Ziff Davis has exploded with growth the last few years and has tons of opportunities. The company executive team is smart and values the employees.

Cons

Some departments are still lagging behind the times. A few poor managers need to be replaced to make the place great.

Dump a couple of department heads who make life miserable for everyone else and knock the walls off some of the silos these people created. A more collaborative team will produce better work.

Greedy company seeks loyal employees to exploit for huge margins with no reinvestment back to teams/development.

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media full-time

Pros

The people are/were cool and smart. The bar is steadily being lowered.

Cons

No management, no advancement, no raises, no bonuses, no future.

Stop being short-sighted. Your biggest weakness is a fundamental lack of interest/understanding in having a singular and constructive focus (maybe just try putting out a good product...?). Instead, cheapness, infighting, dismissive "management" and clueless leaders dominate ever area.

Micromanaged, no leadership and not very supportive of women in senior roles.

I worked at Ziff Davis Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The editorial content and lab analysts.

Cons

Senior management mistakes micromanagement with leadership. The is no clear path for advancement and it is a place of intimidation not support.

Improve work culture by trusting the people you hire to do a good job. And stop letting people fail up and supporting an old boys club.

Not Great

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good People
    Great office in NYC

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow
    Lot of Turn Over

Pay more!

Great Flat-Structure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Davis Media as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Ziff Davis was an overall fantastic experience. I couldn't imagine a more supportive group of people, especially in New York City where most companies are filled with people out to get what they want. ZD is a company that thrives on teamwork and I can see it soon booming even into a larger force than it is today. In the last year, many drastic changes have been made, but the amazing team has made calculated decisions and think they've been incredibly successful in the direction they've headed.

The company has a great flat-structure. If you want more responsibility or opportunities, you are likely to get it. There is a great upward mobility and have seen many friends move around and get promoted. While I was low on the food chain, I felt comfortable pitching ideas or coming forward to managers and C-level employees. I am so thankful to my amazing managers and team who took my ideas seriously and gave me the chance to take on large projects to build my experience in interests I had.

There is an incredible sense of community even within the very different internal teams. Whether you are an assistant, intern or manager, everyone is treated equally. Some people working there now, like the manager I had, are some of the hardest working, inspiring and dedicated people I have worked alongside. They are very invested on building the brand and will not cut corners to make it happen. My time at Ziff Davis exceeded my expectations and was a great experience. The projects were challenging and very rewarding. I gained a great amount of experience in digital publishing and built relationships that I hope to have have for a long time.

There are some great benefits: Amazing roof deck with views of the empire state building, coffee and tea room, free beer fridge, events, ping pong table and some great people. If you put yourself out there, you will build great friendships and feel supported on your career path.

Cons

Transparency. While you are given responsibilities, sometimes you aren't given clear guidelines on projects or your future in the company. The great thing is that it has a start-up feel, where you have the ability to be creative when putting together projects or pitching ideas. At the same token, if you're not comfortable with working without set guidelines or having to start from square one on projects, it could be a challenge. If you're up for innovation, it's a fantastic place to contribute.

As well (while this is a pro for the future of the company) you can't fly under the radar and not deliver. As mentioned, job security is a concern but if you are qualified and dedicated there should not be any problem. The company holds a very high quality bar and will replace people if you aren't delivering. That said, if you are a hard-worker and willing to contribute to a team you will get irreplaceable experience. Ask for more responsibility, and it will be given to you.

If you are motivated, you may work until 7-8 at night. Many people leave around 6, but it is longer hours.

Continue to treat employees with the respect and faith that you do. Your hard-work and belief in your team will help the company to continue to grow exponentially.

Be transparent and have check-ins with team members so they are clear on their future of an employee on their future in the company. Management was incredibly talented, kind, hard-working and most importantly generous towards early career employees. Some of the best managers out there. Keep up the great work!

High-quality people, low-quality management

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Davis Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance and a respect for boundaries, fun and pleasant colleagues from mid-level and down, management is relatively hands off

Cons

Poor compensation and little salary growth opportunities, no support from management to grow, staff is complacent, health benefits are so-so

Mediocre Entry Level Sales Experience

I have been working at Ziff Davis Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people; opportunities to learn if you push for them.

Cons

Poor communication by management, poor collaboration between departments. Management is evasive about commission and salary in the early days of employment.

Best company I've ever worked at

I worked at Ziff Davis Media

Pros

The pay was awesome. The was no micro management. The people were all like family. If I ever moved back to new york I would apply.

Cons

There was really no negatives about this company.

The best management I've ever worked for.

Great people, great team"

Former Employee - Ad Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ad Director in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Davis Media full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Editors and technologists are the very best out there.

Cons

Lots of travel and the trade show attendance.