Zillow

Zillow Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff

Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days(in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called(in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture(in 5 reviews)

Great work culture and awesome company to work for

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCompany culture is one of the big reason, I like working here. Smart people all around and you feel like going to work everyday, which wasn't the case at my last job. Management empowers engineers to innovate and ample freedom to experiment. You will be surprised how transparent the company is; you can walk up and talk to anyone from CEO or CTO.

ConsBase salary could be higher, but I guess we are paying the price for other incentives. Sometimes I feel that there is lack of engineering challenges given the nature of business, and I feel my talent is underutilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do awesome job, and keep keep it up. Might want to revisit the compensation policy to keep in line with other companies around.

Jun 30, 2014

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you're enjoying your experience at Zillow, and that you appreciate the transparency with which we run the company.
     I was a little bummed that you're not feeling

Solid Opportunity

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Pros1. Excellent pay. 2. Health dental 3. Free food. 4. Smart People and fun work culture. You can raise a family on a zillow salary and commissions.

ConsMobility for sales guys is possible but unlikely if you're not the top on the floor. First 6 months are incredibly hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it more difficult to become a sales rep. It's a rough job for people without the right attitude, expectations, and confidence.

Great company, moving in the right direction

Assistant Account Manager (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsZillow focuses on hiring the best people and treating them like rockstars. No dress code, open office layout, free stocked cafeteria, weekly catered lunches, and fun off-site events are just a few of the non-traditional perks. They also have an awesome medical plan, stock options, and flexible PTO policy. You'll hear a lot of people mention "culture" as they talk about their experience at Zillow. That's because Zillow knows when you treat your employees well, THEY ACTUALLY ENJOY WORK! And we do. We have fun while growing a successful business. Senior management has the ship steered towards growth and their foot is on the gas.

ConsSince Zillow hires rockstars, they want you to ROCK. Some might consider this challenge dead in the water. However, expectations are weighted on experience and skill level. If you set reasonable goals, they are achievable without being overly stressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't stop. Don't get complaisant or settle. Continue being the trendsetter for the industry. Continue challenging our team to grow our audience (because audience drives advertisers). Continue to look at additional benefits (401k match) to keep us competitive and attractive to young talent.

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for the great review! As you know, I love going to Lincoln. You guys are crushing it, and it's such a fun office to be in. Kathleen (COO) feels the same way and is always so fired up when ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The toughest sales job I've ever had.

Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLots of perks- free snacks, drinks and gatherings. Benefits package is good and they offer stock as well.

ConsLong hours with no breaks. There's an expectation of 200 calls a day which is made very clear. They hire a ton of sales folks all at once with the expectation that most will quit.

Jun 30, 2014

Hi,
    Spencer (ceo) here. You are right that we have very high expectations of our people. We don't however expect that most of our new salespeople will quit! That's definitely not the expectation nor

I love Zillow!

Industry Relations (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsZillow was my first job out of college from business school at the University of Washington and I couldn't have asked for a better transition into the corporate world. The leaders that I've had the privilege to work under have helped me shape my work ethic and have given me confidence in a work setting. I feel comfortable to share my ideas with those that work above me, and I truly feel like what I have to say is taken into consideration. I've now worked in two positions at Zillow and am grateful that I've had the opportunity to grow alongside the company. There is a strong focus on company culture and transparency which you don't see enough in companies today.

ConsWith the company growing so fast, new teams are emerging in every department. Better training for those who are being moved in to a management position would be nice - however, I know this is on the radar and will be taken into consideration in the near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementNope - I fully trust the vision of my management and their goals are very transparent.

The Zillow culture is exactly as promised.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThey practice what they preach from the top down. Everyone works really hard while they're here and then you leave the job at the office when you go home. The culture is one of genuine helpfulness and that we're all working towards something great. I have yet to come across anyone that puts up roadblocks. They hire super smart people and highly value employee referrals.

ConsThe on-boarding process is a little shaky. I assume it's because of the fast growth, but HR needs to expand to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Zillow HR Director responded to this review

May 21, 2014

We are in the middle of re-vamping our onboarding process to include more than just day one and expand to first 90 days. We are putting in place more tools for new hires to be successful as they take ... More

Very Happy at Zillow

Fraud Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, competitive wages/benefits, excellent management, great facilities, + all the little things. The upper level management is legitimately interested in feedback and ideas from employees; not only to make the company better, but also to make Zillow a great place to work.

ConsThe view from the Seattle office is nicer than the view here in SF. Very troubling. I sometimes stay awake at night just thinking about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm a newer hire here in SF, and I really enjoy the consideration being put into improving/maintaining office culture and atmosphere; as well as the Anonymity given to the very capable and approachable leaders in our office. Please just keep doing what you're doing.

-Side note, I'm very excited to hear about the improved leadership training that will be offered, both from a general improvement perspective as well as the hope that if successful, this program may even become available to other interested employees.

Jun 11, 2014

Great review - thank you for posting!
    As you know, because you are on the front lines, stamping out fraudulent listings on rentals is a priority of ours. I am grateful for your hard work, and our
    ... More

Great place to work. Lincoln Ne office.

Customer Support (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsMy spouse and I have been employed in the Lincoln office for 1.5 and 2 years. The transparency of the chain of command is superb. The ability to chat with the CEO, VP, etc in a manner that makes you feel like you are all in the trenches together is a value beyond comparison. Our office gives us the tools we need to hit the ground running and use our personal work ethic to exceed as far as we want. The positive outlook by upper management Is a refreshing and recharging output of energy. I personally work with our colleauges in Seattle quite often and the synergy between offices is getting stronger each day. The flexibility offered is unmatched, from time off for my significant other for the birth of our children to flexibility for the both of us for kids appointments. I was very impressed of the flexibilty and support I received after a weight lifting accident left me temporarily disabled. You just can't beat the culture, synergy and family focus. My office truly encompasses the "skys the limit" mentality if you are willing to work for what you want.

ConsWith any merger there are growing pains, however in the past year and a half I have seen great relationship building and information passed all around to all offices. With various heads of the company, along with random people from various departments visiting monthly, you just can't ask for any more open communication than that. I forsee our office as well as other offices changing for the better every day as our brand continues to be a champion in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the path. It is working well. Lincoln office, you are doing a great job of keeping the focus of our department and office at the forefront. Seattle, you are doing an excellent job at knocking out all of our annual goals and the synergy between us on mutual goals is almost on a Jordan/Pippen level. Spencer......You just keep being you!

Exciting ride with invaluable experience...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsI enjoy the transparency that our company offers. This starts at the top and is consistent across upper management. Regardless of which office you are located in, the cultural perks tend to follow with each locations special flavor. Being a division of Zillow in Lincoln still allows us to operate independently and focus on our core strengths but also opens the door for collaboration with different offices for new ideas, guidance or assistance on products and cross office mentoring. It is great to work for a company that continues to be disruptive in an industry that is long overdue for innovation.

ConsMost of my cons working at Zillow are related to the constant motion of internal systems and processes. I understand the need to transition systems, especially when the company is in rapid growth mode but at times it is a challenge to operate efficiently and not be distracted by a new policy or procedure that has been implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to continue making decisions for long term company growth and employee satisfaction and not shift towards a short term profitability model. The acquisition experience after a year and a half has been very positive and hope it continues. I love working for this organization and excited each day to see what new challenges can be overcome. A saying that is often repeated is, "Winning is fun and we are winning!"

It's a cool place to work but they tend to keep deadweights around too long.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsStart up vibe, free food and drinks and transparency. The CEO is pretty energetic and cares about employees.

ConsMortech training team sucks, they don't work and they are disorganized. Too many rules but It's probably because we are a Public Company and have to comply with all these regulations that all Public Companies have to follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the training team from top to bottom. Maybe have more "Hire Slow, Fire fast" mentality for managers to keep out the deadweights.

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!