Zillow

Zillow Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff

Spencer Rascoff

Pros:
  • "Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food"
    in 20 reviews
  • "The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called"
    in 8 reviews
  • "But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Poor Management in Facilities

Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsMost employees were nice to work with - Nice view - Free benefits

ConsManager and co-workers in dept

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed strategic planning and clear direction! Manager too busy to lead team effectively!

Best job I've had

Front End Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsI've been a software developer for almost 10 years, including 2+ years at Amazon.

Zillow is the best job I've ever had.

Zillow treats you like a highly valued employee, not just a cog in a machine.

The real estate space has great potential for disruption, and Zillow is positioned perfectly to take advantage of it.

Work hours are reasonable. I leave my work at work. No work email on my phone, no pager.

There's catered lunches at least once a month. Free snacks and soda and cereal and milk every day.

There's a game room with Foosball, ping pong, shuffleboard, Xbox and N64. People play games daily for a short break from writing code (Mario Kart and Smash Bros are huge).

The CEO and the Founder interact with employees and are very personable.

Teammates are smart and generous with their time to help new hires ramp up.

Ramping up to speed does not take as long as at other companies.

ConsThere is no 401(k) match.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a 401(k) match.

Be ready to leave it all on the field!

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThere are many perks that I appreciate, 401k, Stock Options, Great Medical Benefits , smart people to work with and helpful Managers.I am really impressed with the company transparency. You can walk up to Mr Rascoff the CEO and have a conversation with him whenever he visits Irvine office. Our Leader John B. is great, always willing to roll up his sleeves and get in the trenches with his employees . Also I like working for the #1 company in our industry! You do work hard no doubt but when you finish your work day you know you gave all you had for that day and that is very gratifying for me!

ConsAs a older employee (in my 50's) I sometimes struggle with technology and speed (although I must say my Manger is always ready to help) Also I have been penalized for not hitting call time everyday, but its part of the job requirement and is a proven success formula.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more promotions, give a good employee a Senior Sales Consultant title that would assist the Team Manager. This would give motivation and keep good employees. Also under the current system the top sales person is the next promoted Manger and that may not be the best person for the job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work - but there are limits

(Current Employee)
    Lincoln, NE

ProsGreat benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food. Plus, getting to be part of something really big and really cool; bringing transparency in real estate to everyone, not just the most educated or with the most to gain.

Executive staff really pushes "zillow culture" and funds lunches, speakers, and events to keep it going. In Lincoln, the food is usually from local restaurants instead of the national chains. The speakers are typically leaders of well known companies, political figures, or amazing people doing amazing things. A recent speaker was from a non profit building schools in Africa.

It's also cool that in such a huge company the top brass are very accessible, friendly, and really care about the workers doing the entry level jobs. I've emailed the CEO, Spencer, and actually received a friendly response in return. I don't think you'll find that at most companies, especially one the size of Zillow.

ConsWorking in a small office outside Seattle, I feel like I'm unable to be promoted or change roles because of the limited jobs and job types in my office.

I'm hearing about the tremendous growth of the company all the time, but I'm not seeing it in my office and I'm not seeing it in the way of expanded opportunities for me or fellow co-workers. To take the next step in my career, I'll probably have to leave Zillow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how to keep motivated and hardworking employees rewarded and how someone could really make a long term career at Zillow in all the offices. Also, post internal promotions instead of hand picking staff to promote. I've seen unposted staff changes/promotions in nearly every department. You never know if someone from another department may be qualified or interested in the role. When jobs are limited, everyone should get a fair chance to compete for them.

On the same note, I think Zillow could benefit from utilizing all resources from coast to coast. With so many offices, can Zillow allow for employees to join teams from other offices? If you already have a great employee trained with a proven work history, why not keep them and allow them to do roles that most greatly benefit the company at large, instead of the best role for them in their office?

So that's my $.02

Zillow CEO (Spencer Rascoff) responded to this review May 6, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback. And thank you for calling me accessible -- I appreciate it!

As you probably know, I am very excited about our opportunity for Mortech and Zillow Mortgages, and the

BEST JOB EVER!

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsZillow is by far the best company I have ever been employed by. They truly respect their employees and treat us incredibly well. The culture is amazing and the support we receive from upper management is great! You can make as much money as you want as long as you work hard...the pay structure is very pro-employee. GREAT BENEFITS AS WELL! I can't imagine working for any other company!

ConsHigh-stress sales environment----but that's sales so it's to be expected.

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review Apr 7, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience at Zillow!

Glad to hear that the sales environment and support is so motivating and enjoyable for you - Continued success!

Doug Slotkin
    ... More

Overall - very good place to work

Pros-Benefits
    -Transparency
    -Leadership
    -Competitive vision
    -Marketing

Zillow has been a great place to work. The transparency is encouraging and I like the fact we are "playing to win" - not just compete, but to win.

Cons-HR (as the company gets bigger and HR being in a different location, it's tough to get answers in a timely fashion)
    -Seattle based - this is great for those in Seattle, but employees in other cities constantly get to hear about the Zillow culture but are still trying to figure out how to change the culture at their location.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time sharing with non-Seattle Zillowites how the bricks they are laying will impact Z as a whole.

Consider more talks or speakers in other offices.

Zillow CEO (Spencer Rascoff) responded to this review Apr 1, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for the review and the feedback. Regarding HR issues being tricky in remote offices, please always feel free to escalate things to Kathleen quickly. She can triage emails about HR ... More

Churn/Burn to the extreme - Inside Sales

Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay
    Good view from the office
    Lara Bars/V8's
    The people who work there
    Nerf gun wars are permitted

ConsSales Process - Beyond short sales cycle. One call close or bust

Most managers need to go through an HR class so that they don't spout illegal information

Illegal work hours - although the company will say youre only working 8 hours in a day. Because beyond that, nothing is approved. Good luck hitting goal working 8 hours a day.

Loud, POUNDING awful music all day everyday.

If you do not sit there and make 150 calls in a day, you will fail. There is no support. You manage your clients by yourself (although they seem to be working on this).

COUNTLESS UNNECESSARY emails that will basically ruin your day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more products. Stop raising prices to appease stockholders. You are pricing yourself OUT of the business. Work on your reputation in the marketplace.

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review May 15, 2014 EditDelete
    I'd like to address your review and ask that, if you are open to it, I can learn more about the serious nature of some of these concerns.

The majority of our sales are not one call closes - many

Look closer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat benefits and beautiful building

ConsThe organization has not figured out how to grow. They do not want process in place to slow down their rapid speed but need it desperately to support growth. Generally the right arm doesn't know what the left arm is doing. People will jump so quickly into action with a new idea that it doesn't matter the amount of money or energy they put into this idea. The company is not data driven in it's business decisions. There is not software in place to help the company scale and everything on the business side is done manually and with tons of pain.
    They are not ready to be a mature company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign and remove ambiguity within positions. Do not allow 1-2 people to make decisions for the entire company. Empower the individuals who you have employed to take action and make change. Do not challenge the change at every turn. Process and protecting the company can be a good thing.

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review Apr 1, 2014 EditDelete
    I am disappointed to read your feedback. I do agree with sentences like this though: "They do not want process in place to slow down their rapid speed but need it desperately to support growth." That ... More

Glad I am done with this place

ProsGreat benefits, and free soft drinks and snacks, they buy lunches for you (so you don't leave the building). Games to play (although it is just for show i think). A great product in some states, and truly some of the most gifted co-workers around. The base is not the greatest but there is real money in the commissions and the monthly sales contests. I did well there but there are better Jobs out there with just as good perks and Just as good money if no more.

ConsI finally decided to write this review, I have worked n sales my whole life, and I love to grind I love to cold call and I love to close a sale that is why I am in sales. But this is for anyone looking to work at Zillow Irvine, you have a 50/50 shot there, as much as they want to act like they are not corporate, they are extremely corporate to the core. If you know how to brown nose and buy in to the environment make the correct allies and willing to be a cheer leader and all the other nonsense that goes on there you will be fine , you will get fed leads and inherit clients from others who did not make it so you will succeed they will help you (they will deny this happens), but it is blatant and obvious, they truly believe other reps do not see this or are that stupid not to notice. The younger you are the more they will help you, or if you are female that seems to work as well but most importantly you can not be challenging to them and you HAVE to kiss their ass. If you cannot do that successfully you will fail and they will let you go, the Irvine office has the fastest revolving door. The sales floor in Irvine is not an even playing field , and there in very little chance for promotion there has only been 4 people in Irvine promoted and at the rate they let people go and people quit they do not retain enough people to make no positions available. In the Seattle Office there is much more opportunities, employee retention is much better so more teams are made so more people get promoted, they have opportunities for outside sales positions and it seems like there is much better leadership there. They claim the Irvine office is more high energy and better culture they why do so many people leave and get fired? too many things do not add up to their claims. From what i saw in Irvine the average new class has only 20% to 30% of the new hires staying or keeping their job, maybe that is the way they want it?

To sum it up this office is an unstable work environment with favoritism determining success maybe 10% of the sales reps do all that is necessary without being fed on a constant basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven the playing field stop favoring one over another and learn how to retain your employees better.

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review May 15, 2014 EditDelete
    Not sure if you are still at Zillow or not based on the fact that you wrote in the past tense, but I'd like to address your concerns.

This is a tough job and while many people have made sales at
    ... More

Smart, collaborative people committed to a clear and important mission

Director (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsI've been here for over 3 years(maybe a little more, maybe a lot more). I can count on one hand the number of days I've woken up in the morning and not felt like coming into work. A simple gauge and it's a big one for me. It's awesome to work on something as meaningful as empowering people to make better decisions about one of the most significant aspects of their lives. To do this with co-workers as smart, innovative and devoted as you'll find anywhere. To do this with one of the absolute best leadership teams around(just look at their track-records!). To be part of #1 -- the undisputed leader! -- in this space. And the part that excites me most is that even after so many years, even given the dominant leadership position we have, it is absolutely true when Spencer tells us that we've only just begun and that there is much, much more to do. There is so much more we can do for consumers, and so much more we can do for real estate professionals. Really. What more do I need?

ConsWe're growing fast, organically and through acquisitions. There are inherent challenges to this that we're not immune from and as much I trust we'll get through all of it just fine, ultimately, it can make for challenges here and there in the interim: clarity/ambiguity, communication, prioritization, culture, recruiting/talent, employee development, operational vs strategic, etc. Again, the typical challenges for a high-growth company so not necessarily unusual but certainly something that keeps us on our toes and can be distracting at times. Overall, though, I'll take all the goodness that comes from this growth since I trust we'll manage through the Change -- but it's never a given/guarantee and will require diligence, smarts and patience.

I'll also echo what others have said here that it sometimes would be nice to slow down a little bit, take a step back and attend to doing some things a little bit better versus rolling out more and more new stuff. It's the classic quality vs quantity/speed/TTM dilemma and I know it's a tough and core strategic challenge to figure out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the collaborative meritocracy alive. The Recruiting/talent bar high. Culture needs to be actively nurtured. Stay true to encouraging, demanding, outside-the-box thinking and expecting more than "incremental". Consumers are our North Star -- don't forget it! And, let's not forget "the little guys" across the company, especially those in backoffice groups who don't get the spotlight but keep this ship together on a daily basis.

Zillow CEO (Spencer Rascoff) responded to this review Apr 1, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for the great review and feedback. You are right that we are running so fast here (which is good) that sometimes mistakes can be made, and sometimes we aren't quite as efficient as we could ... More

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!

Zillow Videos

Zillow – Why Work for Us?

Zillow is a home and real estate marketplace dedicated to helping homeowners, home buyers, sellers, renters, real estate agents, mortgage professionals, landlords and property managers find and share vital information… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zillow reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff. All 198 reviews posted anonymously by Zillow employees.