Zillow

Zillow Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff

Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days(in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called(in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture(in 5 reviews)

Overall - very good place to work

Pros-Benefits
    -Transparency
    -Leadership
    -Competitive vision
    -Marketing

Zillow has been a great place to work. The transparency is encouraging and I like the fact we are "playing to win" - not just compete, but to win.

Cons-HR (as the company gets bigger and HR being in a different location, it's tough to get answers in a timely fashion)
    -Seattle based - this is great for those in Seattle, but employees in other cities constantly get to hear about the Zillow culture but are still trying to figure out how to change the culture at their location.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time sharing with non-Seattle Zillowites how the bricks they are laying will impact Z as a whole.

Consider more talks or speakers in other offices.

Apr 1, 2014

Thank you for the review and the feedback. Regarding HR issues being tricky in remote offices, please always feel free to escalate things to Kathleen quickly. She can triage emails about HR ... More

Great place to work

Advertising Sales (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere are a lot of great things going on there. The compensation, freedom and culture is amazing.

ConsIf you are not motivated, engaged, or interested in money, you will have a difficult time because the demand for productivity is very high.

A good place to work with lots of smart people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood leadership vision and opportunities to grow, a place where good ideas can come from anywhere, get heard and get implemented

ConsBenefits could be better, e.g., 401k matching, lower deductible health/dental plans

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core. Some of the most important teams are not working as efficiently as they could be. It takes a frustrating amount time to get things done. Need to improve the process and put more of the best people on the core teams.

Apr 1, 2014

Thank you for the review, and I'm glad you are having success at Zillow. Regarding your comment that some teams aren't as efficient as they should be, I agree. If you ever have specific suggestions ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work! Lots of opportunity at Zillow and a great work environment for someone looking to grow in their career.

ConsVery Seattle-centric. A lot happens at Zillow HQ and Sales is the only department that really gets to expand nationwide.

Hi Former Employee,
    Thank you for your review, and I'm glad you had a good experience at Zillow. Sorry to have lost you - I wonder why you left?
    Good feedback on how we can improve things in the
    ... More

Great company with work life balance but lack of charm of tech

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros1. Great and friendly people.
    2. Clearly defined project and well executed
    3. Great executive leadership, clear roadmap on what they are doing.
    4. Schedule is reasonable and not aggressive.
    5. Easy problem to so solve if you like it.

ConsThe following cons are from engineering/eng-management prospective, may not related to other orgs:
    1. Engineering talent/leadership is not top level, and if you are the top ranked engineer, you will feel a lot of push back and dragging. And great idea is not easy to spark out.
    2. Mid-management is very laid back, need to be more aggressive to help the company moving to the right direction.
    3. Granted, long staying people are now in mid-senior management level, but this is the problem of allowing the company to move forward. They have a lot of legacy, which *should* be fixed long ago if committing to it, but unfortunately, the safe route is always selected.
    4. A lot of cost optimization can be done within the technical stack, but hard to convince people to care.
    5. The technology management/development is traditional, you will see a bunch of Unix admin/DBA and ops, and handing day to day ops and also the blockers of moving fast in SOA world.

I understand a lot of companies have similar problems, probably Zillow is better than all of its peers, but given Zillow is young and want to move to next stage, then it has to do something different.

Advice to Senior Management1. Keep the good work defining clear goals!
    2. More aggressively invest into R&D, I can see the ROI will be much better than flooding in sales org in longer term, and more scalable.
    3. Hire top level talents and put them in charge, magic will happen. Focus on quality rather than quantity in tech talent hiring.
    4. Hire technical management talent from top companies, FB/AMZN/GOOG, and transform the development process within Zillow, it may only need half of the developer to do the same job yet yielding much faster iteration and better products.

Zillow CTO responded to this review

Mar 20, 2014

To Former Senior Software Engineer in Seattle,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback regarding your experience at Zillow in the Seattle office. I am sorry your experience here
    ... More

Consider yourself lucky if you work here

Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLeadership has done a great deal of things right and I applaud them for it.
    Culture has still been very good despite *insane* growth.

The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days. Probably a lot better than many other tech companies in the area.

ConsI miss our company ski day, but luckily vacation scheduling is flexible for those pow days

Mar 20, 2014

Thank you for your review!
    I miss our ski day also! Maybe I should have brought it back this year. To be honest, I sort of forgot this year -- doing too many things, and it didn't occur to me. True

Slave Labor!

Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsVery pretty office with great free stuff! Some of your colleagues are cool! Great sales people that convince you this is a great place to work! Great Benefits and there is a great chance in making a lot of money.

ConsWhere to start? First off they have no value in their employees, each and every person aside from the CEO and CRO are replaceable. You either do things their way or your out! Complete micro-management and blatant favoritism (this will be denied) but they feed sales people that know how to brown nose properly. Being that you will be exempt from OT they will work you 10 to 12 hours a day , if you try leave earlier your manager will rep remand you in some passive aggressive manor (Great Management Skill). Be sure to check your commissions as well they have screwed people out of a lot money because they neglect to give you an understandable break down. I can go on and on about the ways they treat people but i think I have said enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage get trained by a real manager and value your employees. Teasing employees with management opportunities is wrong and rude!

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review

Mar 28, 2014

Sorry to hear your experience at Zillow was so negative.

We care deeply about the careers and enjoyment of all our teammates at Zillow. We expect our sales people to work hard and ethically and in
    ... More

Always challenging environment full of great people and amazing views!

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe company has maintained a small company feel despite our rapid growth over the last three years. The people I work with are insightful, creative, and also really supportive and friendly. The work I do is challenging and recognition for great work is abundant. People are passionate about their work and it shows in the meetings and in the presentation of projects. The company is very transparent in its goals and processes, and knowledge sharing is encouraged. There is also a huge emphasis on work life balance, but people also recognize that sometimes those hours need to be put in to hit a deadline. I haven't had an issue with putting in those extra hours because in the long run it helps.

ConsThere are some big company politics that have creeped in subtly with the rapid hiring that we've done of people from the big boys in the area like Microsoft, Expedia, and Google, but most of it is squashed when they figure out how Zillow operates.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management and executive know how to foster community and encourage growth amongst team members. I never feel like I'm competing with my colleagues. I feel like we are working together towards a greater goal and that is something the management has done a really great job at fostering.

Feb 23, 2014

Now we're talking! I liked your review very much.

If you ever see politics at Zillow and you want me to stamp it out, please either talk to me or email me. If you want to do it anonymously

I Love This Place

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThis is the hardest job I have had but it gets easier with time. I went from a so-so sales person to a beast. I have received some of the best training with this job that I will take with me the rest of my life. The best part about this job is the personal growth I have acheived. I initially thought this was something I was not going to be able to do. My manager and trainer have all been instrumental in helping me achieve my goals. Free food, trips to Seattle for the holiday party, amazing people, and fun work environment.

ConsCouldn't be happier with this company keep doing what you do

Advice to Senior ManagementSet career paths early on so we know what we need to do to move up.

Feb 12, 2014

Well, this is Seattle, so it's appropriate that you are in "beast mode" (Seahawks reference, sorry I couldn't help myself). I'm really glad that you are having a good experience here. I know that ... More

Great

ProsVery smart and driven people, a great learning opportunity for anybody

ConsNot much to say negative. Lot to do..lot to learn...so many things happening...exciting time..

Feb 12, 2014

Thank you for the feedback - I greatly appreciate it. I am glad that you have had a good experience so far here.

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!