Zillow Reviews

Reset
4.2
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good for a company that is growing this fast (in 15 reviews)

• Need I say free food and drinks (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great benefits and work/life balance
    -Both teamwork and individual contributions are highly valued
    -Wonderful management
    -Frequent opportunities to expand your skills and range
    -Perks like free snacks, standing desks (they move up and down at the touch of a button), gym reimbursement etc. - Zillow invests in keeping their people happy
    -Data meritocracy - best idea with best data wins; minimal politicking compared to anywhere else I've worked
    -Good advancement opportunities

Cons

-Not a lot of effective communication between different teams

Advice to Management

Remember that communication is key - transparency has long been a Z principle; please keep it that way. Communication between sales and other teams could be stronger, as could communication on some of the recent policy changes (Workday etc.). Site changes could also be communicated to support teams better/faster.

In general: keep doing what you're doing. Spencer is a fantastic leader, and I trust our executives to take us in the right direction. Very happy to be here, and I always say I don't know how I could leave Zillow because I'm getting spoiled here!

2. Best Place I

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Great leadership that provides excellent growth opportunities. Lots of effort is put toward ensuring a top-notch work culture.

Cons

Can't think of any right now.

Advice to Management

Keep being as transparent as possible while growth accelerates

Zillow Response

Jul 7, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Awesome. Thank you for the great feedback.

Hard work pays. Daily grind. Repetitive. Competitive.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to make a lot of money is there you just need to be good at seeking it out, being consistent, not letting "no" discourage you and really believing in the product. The job itself is the best sales opportunity I've ever had because of the product, brand recognition and culture. Im about to hit my two year mark as a sales consultant and I am very proud that I've been able to reach the stretch goals/quotas every month. Zillow pushes you to succeed and if you believe you can, you will. I've really enjoyed the challenge.

Cons

My biggest complaint would probably be regarding the expectation to bring 100% energy everyday or hit a certain number of phone calls or minutes everyday. Being on your "A" game everyday isn't really possible in my eyes. Some days I would prefer to work "on" my business rather than "in" it. With the daily eye on my activity I feel guilty taking breaks to recharge my batteries. Some days I may be really productive taking care of emails, finding new reports to be more effective and researching how to do my job better and those types of things aren't applauded because they aren't recorded in the sales dashboard. To sum it up, I think recognition from management could be improved.

Advice to Management

I'm a pretty happy employee! :)

5. Like a Dream

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the collaborative energy here. They really care about their employees. They survey the entire company to see what we would like to get added to the long list of benefits.

I have great Co-Workers that are helpful and fun. Also, I love the fresh fruit that comes twice a week. They care about work life balance and know the importance of having fun at work and away from work.

I come from a large software company so I went from feeling like a small cog in a large machine. I had an office with no windows and no sense of team in a very "office political" environment. Here I am an important member of a team with a great view.

Cons

Would love to see Zillow offer in-house child care. This is the one area I think we could improve on.

Zillow Response

Jul 7, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review. I really appreciate it. It made my day.
    In terms of in-office child care, that is something we have thought about but I think the last time we evaluated it we decided
    ... More

Best job I've had so far

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow gets it. The management seems to put a lot of thought into what makes a great workplace and does everything they can to empower their employees to be successful and happy.

One thing that always bothered me about previous employers was the lack of internal communication regarding company direction and decision making. I've never once felt like I was in the dark at Zillow, and if something wasn't immediately obvious I've always had my questions answered honestly.

As an engineer I've always felt like I've had a clear goal and direction, and I've never had to spend time spinning my wheels wondering what I should be doing. Management works hard to unblock things if any hurdles do arise, as long as you're willing to admit when you're having trouble.

Cons

Zillow is a very team-oriented company, so if you're the type that loves personal glory and recognition, you might not do well. Achievements definitely get recognized, but arrogance is massively frowned upon. That's not really a con for most people, but it might be for some.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and communication. It feels like I'm trusted as an employee, and I hope it stays that way.

7. Fun Company

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Love working here, best job I have had so far. Switching departments is encouraged if you and they feel it is a good fit. Lots of company get togethers. Overall, a very fun atmosphere.

Cons

None really come to mind, enjoy my work and don't hate coming to work (was the case in other jobs I have had).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I feel the company is very open to all employees and advice is taken into account when appropriate.

Zillow Response

Jul 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Awesome. Thank you!

8. Amazing Company

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

-401K matching
    -Full healthcare and dental
    -Well compensated
    -Great work/life balance

Cons

-Could be more growth opportunities

Zillow Response

Jun 25, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you!

Lose talent because of contract roles

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow

Pros

Great work life balance, free food occasionally, nice atmosphere, great coworkers.

Cons

I had a great experience at Zillow and echo the great things that have been said about it. One of biggest cons I saw was for the contractors at Zillow. I started on a contract myself and it takes a long time to receive an offer to go full-time at Zillow. I would not deny that the 6 month contract is a great launching place but the lack of healthcare (many staffing companies have crappy or no benefits), the lack of job security, and the uncertainty about getting hired on is tough. Most of the contractors I spoke with shared my opinion. I saw so much great talent leave Zillow and find employment elsewhere after 10+ months because they weren't getting hired on and needed to make more money than the hourly rate that contractors receive after the agency takes a huge cut.

Great place to work but if you still have someone on your team after 6+ months, as a manager, you should be pushing to get them hired on. With the rate at which Zillow is hiring, why aren't contractors getting offers?

Advice to Management

Budget in the potential offers you'll extend to contractors instead of citing that as the main reason you haven't gotten an offer after a long time.

Zillow Response

Jun 29, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

This is great feedback. I haven't focused very much on this issue before, but I will look into it now. Thank you!

Awesome Company

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Great working environment, definitely still has a start up feel to it

Cons

Upward movement in terms of promotions are harder to come by

Zillow Response

Jun 18, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I'm glad you like working at Zillow and feel that it is still a startup. As I have said many times, being a startup is a "state of mind", and Zillow is still definitely a startup. It doesn't matter ... More

11. In-Market Sales, Rentals

Current Employee - In-Market Sales, Rentals
    Current Employee - In-Market Sales, Rentals

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The data we share helps people find a home-- and that is really cool! I enjoy being part of a team that provides meaningful data, embraces technology and focuses on the consumer experience. The Zillow Group is a brand that I trust and feel good about representing.

I'm on the rentals team and I like the substance we're bringing to the multi-family housing industry. We operate with a fraction of the people compared to our competitors and according to the April and May comScore data we rank as #1 for amount of rentals traffic to our websites. It's awesome that we operate lean and yet have the highest number of consumers searching on our network for a place to rent. Paying consumers also appreciate this because it helps control advertising cost.

A side note... Prior to joining the Zillow Group I was a client. The contacts they delivered to my leasing teams were quality, the service superior and return on investment was my lowest cost per lease for a paid advertising source. Now that I'm part of the Zillow team it makes my day when I hear this type of feedback from customers.

I hope this employment review helps anyone considering joining the Zillow Group!

PS Yes, expectations are high however they are also realistic!

Cons

The biggest challenges I've experienced in the rentals division is clear communication and sometimes putting the cart before the horse. This is to be expected as the In-Market Sales role is still relatively new and the team grew fast. There have been improvements in just the last couple of weeks.

The culture is really special at the Seattle office and sometimes I need a good reminder of this because I work remotely from another state. Leadership is doing the best they can to communicate the culture and this is appreciated!

Advice to Management

Move Fast. Think Big. Always. :)

RSS Feed </> Embed