Zillow Reviews

Reset
4.3
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good for a company that is growing this fast (in 15 reviews)

• Need I say free food and drinks (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

OC Development

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

The development teams in Orange County solve interesting technical problems, use the latest technology and get to work in a relaxed-ish environment. The people are fantastic and the number one reason to work here. You'll get to work together, share ideas and learn while contributing to software used by millions.

Cons

There aren't any huge downsides. There will be less than amazing projects but that happens everywhere. The benefits could be better in some areas but they're still good.

Growing Pains But Overall Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, wonderful working environment. You get everything you need to get the job done. Leadership vision is strong and clearly communicated. Very transparent company. Lots of fun to be had. Benefits are solid.

Cons

Some office politics to navigate in terms of alliances and cliques that can pose hurdles to pushing ideas forward and getting buy-in for projects. Challenging ramp up as processes, knowledge, and data exists in silos across the company and are not accessible efficiently . Developer resources are limited for a company this size, so being scrappy and willing to adjust technical aspects of a project on the fly is crucial to success. Growth is at a crescendo, so company culture is in transition and hasn't regained it's footing. Additionally, as it grows, "old timers" are promoted who have little to no experience managing people. No longer a start up feel, but more a corporate environment creating new barriers to getting things done in innovative ways. Work/life balance is absolutely lip service. Young singles who put in 50/60 hour weeks are recognized often and rise quickly, while those trying to strike a more reasonable approach tread water and are viewed as ineffective.

Advice to Management

Make sure the Core Values are practiced at every level. Too many times I saw teams and individuals trying to meet goals while operating well outside these values with no correction made by management. If "fail fast" is a tenet, then ensure there is room for mistakes without fear.

3. Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work/ life balance. everybody here is so talented and friendly. Great place to work

Cons

everything is good since I got here

Boiler room

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Edmonds, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Edmonds, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks, open culture and if you do well you will make a lot of money. Lots of great people

Cons

Call center where you are hounded constantly for dials and talk time. Definite favoritism in the sales dept some cheaters

Advice to Management

Mid-management is mediocre however upper management is great, Introduction of new products to sell is critical to long term success

Zillow Response

Jul 21, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to review your time at Zillow. I run the Inside Sales team at Zillow and hopefully I can address your concerns for your benefit as well as others reading your review ... More

Hard work pays. Daily grind. Repetitive. Competitive.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to make a lot of money is there you just need to be good at seeking it out, being consistent, not letting "no" discourage you and really believing in the product. The job itself is the best sales opportunity I've ever had because of the product, brand recognition and culture. Im about to hit my two year mark as a sales consultant and I am very proud that I've been able to reach the stretch goals/quotas every month. Zillow pushes you to succeed and if you believe you can, you will. I've really enjoyed the challenge.

Cons

My biggest complaint would probably be regarding the expectation to bring 100% energy everyday or hit a certain number of phone calls or minutes everyday. Being on your "A" game everyday isn't really possible in my eyes. Some days I would prefer to work "on" my business rather than "in" it. With the daily eye on my activity I feel guilty taking breaks to recharge my batteries. Some days I may be really productive taking care of emails, finding new reports to be more effective and researching how to do my job better and those types of things aren't applauded because they aren't recorded in the sales dashboard. To sum it up, I think recognition from management could be improved.

Advice to Management

I'm a pretty happy employee! :)

7. It's a satisfying place to work.

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Some of the reasons that makes this a great place to work is having the chance to help others find their dream house while building relationships.

Cons

Not always being able to find the property and price that the client is looking for. Not being able to control the market value of certain locations.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great benefits and work/life balance -Both teamwork and individual contributions are highly valued -Wonderful management -Frequent opportunities to expand your skills and range -Perks like free snacks, standing desks (they move up and down at the touch of a button), gym reimbursement etc. - Zillow invests in keeping their people happy -Data meritocracy - best idea with best data wins; minimal politicking compared to anywhere else I've worked -Good advancement opportunities

Cons

-Not a lot of effective communication between different teams

Advice to Management

Remember that communication is key - transparency has long been a Z principle; please keep it that way. Communication between sales and other teams could be stronger, as could communication on some of the recent policy changes (Workday etc.). Site changes could also be communicated to support teams better/faster. In general: keep doing what you're doing. Spencer is a fantastic leader, and I trust our executives to take us in the right direction. Very happy to be here, and I always say I don't know how I could leave Zillow because I'm getting spoiled here!

Zillow Response

Jul 13, 2015 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your great review! You are right, we do keep investing in our employees because they are our number one asset. I hear your point about communication, you’re right, communication is key ... More

Best job I've had so far

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow gets it. The management seems to put a lot of thought into what makes a great workplace and does everything they can to empower their employees to be successful and happy. One thing that always bothered me about previous employers was the lack of internal communication regarding company direction and decision making. I've never once felt like I was in the dark at Zillow, and if something wasn't immediately obvious I've always had my questions answered honestly. As an engineer I've always felt like I've had a clear goal and direction, and I've never had to spend time spinning my wheels wondering what I should be doing. Management works hard to unblock things if any hurdles do arise, as long as you're willing to admit when you're having trouble.

Cons

Zillow is a very team-oriented company, so if you're the type that loves personal glory and recognition, you might not do well. Achievements definitely get recognized, but arrogance is massively frowned upon. That's not really a con for most people, but it might be for some.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and communication. It feels like I'm trusted as an employee, and I hope it stays that way.

10. Best company I

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Fun work environment, great benefits, and a great place to grow. Everyone listens to ideas no matter what level of employee they come from. I've worked at some good companies, and also some bad, and Zillow is by far the best.

Cons

There is nothing that I can think of to be honest in my department. Since it is growing fast, Zillow is losing some of the convenience of a smaller company, but this is also a really good thing.

11. Zillow

Current Employee - Outreach Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Outreach Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at Zillow for 6 years now and I truly do enjoy coming to work everyday. The culture is one that allows hard work and creativeness to be rewarded.

Cons

No cons currently, all positive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what we are doing, Zillow really is a team sport.

RSS Feed </> Embed