Zillow Reviews

Reset
4.2
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good for a company that is growing this fast (in 15 reviews)

• Need I say free food and drinks (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

Hard work pays. Daily grind. Repetitive. Competitive.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to make a lot of money is there you just need to be good at seeking it out, being consistent, not letting "no" discourage you and really believing in the product. The job itself is the best sales opportunity I've ever had because of the product, brand recognition and culture. Im about to hit my two year mark as a sales consultant and I am very proud that I've been able to reach the stretch goals/quotas every month. Zillow pushes you to succeed and if you believe you can, you will. I've really enjoyed the challenge.

Cons

My biggest complaint would probably be regarding the expectation to bring 100% energy everyday or hit a certain number of phone calls or minutes everyday. Being on your "A" game everyday isn't really possible in my eyes. Some days I would prefer to work "on" my business rather than "in" it. With the daily eye on my activity I feel guilty taking breaks to recharge my batteries. Some days I may be really productive taking care of emails, finding new reports to be more effective and researching how to do my job better and those types of things aren't applauded because they aren't recorded in the sales dashboard. To sum it up, I think recognition from management could be improved.

Advice to Management

I'm a pretty happy employee! :)

Best job I've had so far

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow gets it. The management seems to put a lot of thought into what makes a great workplace and does everything they can to empower their employees to be successful and happy.

One thing that always bothered me about previous employers was the lack of internal communication regarding company direction and decision making. I've never once felt like I was in the dark at Zillow, and if something wasn't immediately obvious I've always had my questions answered honestly.

As an engineer I've always felt like I've had a clear goal and direction, and I've never had to spend time spinning my wheels wondering what I should be doing. Management works hard to unblock things if any hurdles do arise, as long as you're willing to admit when you're having trouble.

Cons

Zillow is a very team-oriented company, so if you're the type that loves personal glory and recognition, you might not do well. Achievements definitely get recognized, but arrogance is massively frowned upon. That's not really a con for most people, but it might be for some.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and communication. It feels like I'm trusted as an employee, and I hope it stays that way.

3. Amazing Company

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

-401K matching
    -Full healthcare and dental
    -Well compensated
    -Great work/life balance

Cons

-Could be more growth opportunities

Zillow Response

Jun 25, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you!

Lose talent because of contract roles

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow

Pros

Great work life balance, free food occasionally, nice atmosphere, great coworkers.

Cons

I had a great experience at Zillow and echo the great things that have been said about it. One of biggest cons I saw was for the contractors at Zillow. I started on a contract myself and it takes a long time to receive an offer to go full-time at Zillow. I would not deny that the 6 month contract is a great launching place but the lack of healthcare (many staffing companies have crappy or no benefits), the lack of job security, and the uncertainty about getting hired on is tough. Most of the contractors I spoke with shared my opinion. I saw so much great talent leave Zillow and find employment elsewhere after 10+ months because they weren't getting hired on and needed to make more money than the hourly rate that contractors receive after the agency takes a huge cut.

Great place to work but if you still have someone on your team after 6+ months, as a manager, you should be pushing to get them hired on. With the rate at which Zillow is hiring, why aren't contractors getting offers?

Advice to Management

Budget in the potential offers you'll extend to contractors instead of citing that as the main reason you haven't gotten an offer after a long time.

Zillow Response

Jun 29, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

This is great feedback. I haven't focused very much on this issue before, but I will look into it now. Thank you!

Awesome Company

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Great working environment, definitely still has a start up feel to it

Cons

Upward movement in terms of promotions are harder to come by

Zillow Response

Jun 18, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I'm glad you like working at Zillow and feel that it is still a startup. As I have said many times, being a startup is a "state of mind", and Zillow is still definitely a startup. It doesn't matter ... More

7. In-Market Sales, Rentals

Current Employee - In-Market Sales, Rentals
    Current Employee - In-Market Sales, Rentals

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The data we share helps people find a home-- and that is really cool! I enjoy being part of a team that provides meaningful data, embraces technology and focuses on the consumer experience. The Zillow Group is a brand that I trust and feel good about representing.

I'm on the rentals team and I like the substance we're bringing to the multi-family housing industry. We operate with a fraction of the people compared to our competitors and according to the April and May comScore data we rank as #1 for amount of rentals traffic to our websites. It's awesome that we operate lean and yet have the highest number of consumers searching on our network for a place to rent. Paying consumers also appreciate this because it helps control advertising cost.

A side note... Prior to joining the Zillow Group I was a client. The contacts they delivered to my leasing teams were quality, the service superior and return on investment was my lowest cost per lease for a paid advertising source. Now that I'm part of the Zillow team it makes my day when I hear this type of feedback from customers.

I hope this employment review helps anyone considering joining the Zillow Group!

PS Yes, expectations are high however they are also realistic!

Cons

The biggest challenges I've experienced in the rentals division is clear communication and sometimes putting the cart before the horse. This is to be expected as the In-Market Sales role is still relatively new and the team grew fast. There have been improvements in just the last couple of weeks.

The culture is really special at the Seattle office and sometimes I need a good reminder of this because I work remotely from another state. Leadership is doing the best they can to communicate the culture and this is appreciated!

Advice to Management

Move Fast. Think Big. Always. :)

Best place to work and grow!

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Product Team Structure - Engineering teams at Zillow have clearly defined goals and ownerships. I know what my team needs to do we can usually get it done without spending ages talking and coordinating with other teams.

Company Vision - Management does a good job of communicating where the company is going both in the next months and years and make it clear how everyone fits into that plan and how their work contributes to that goal.

Ownership - I don't know anyone at Zillow who feels their job isn't important, or as a joke goes is responsible for polishing the print button, everyone can get enough responsibility to push themselves to the limit.

Opportunities for growth - My manager sincerely cares about my success and helps identify ways for me to improve and grow. I feel that my career has accelerated since I've joined Zillow.

Company culture - I can tell that everyone I work with wants to be there and cares about their job and the success of the company. Working in a place like this is inspiring and pushes me to perform better.

Benefits & Pay - Zillow benefits and pay have become more competitive over the last few years. It's especially good if you're bullish on the stock, because bonuses are still paid in stock options. Also, as of today there's a discretionary time off policy which means you can take as much time off as you see fit.

Work/Life Balance - many people I know work 40-50 hours per week and are successful. There's no pressure to work overtime unless there's an exceptional business need.

Office - The office in downtown Seattle is amazing. Great views, standing desks, snacks, coffee & espresso machines, and weekly yoga.

Cons

Stock Options - depending on when you got your stock and when you plan to cash it in these can work against you compared to how you're paid at other big companies. I think this is a good con and filters for the right people.
    Change/Growth - Zillow is growing quickly and so far has managed to deal with the larger size well, but this is always going to be a risk. It's no longer a start-up.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. My two favorite core values are power to the people and own it, as long as you stay true to those and the other 4 I think I'll be here for a long time!

Jun 22, 2015CTO

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Zillow. Having people feel connected to their teams and understand how their work can make a difference and how it is tied to company goals is ... More

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Awesome culture, great benefits, amazing product, great pay.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

Fun company with lots of room for growth

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management team is long term focused. Not distracted by shareholders or competition. They have a commitment to hiring the best people and cutting bait with those who are't big fast thinkers.

Cons

Not many. Teams generally work well together and are highly collaborative. Company is getting big with the integration of Trulia and execution is largely the biggest risk.

Advice to Management

Keep the environment fun and challenging. Continue to delegate decision making to increase accountability at all levels of the organization. Bar needs to be set high for new managers and leaders.

Zillow Response

Jun 4, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review! I'm very glad that you feel the leadership team is not overly focused on the near term or on competition. You are correct. We are focused on building a very ... More

Zillow is great!

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Rewards their employees and encourages them constantly. Leads are great at reminding everyone that their hard work is recognized. Colleagues are always willing to help. Always building better processes and platforms.

Cons

Sometimes when there are issues that need to be solved right away you tend to hit a wall. Need more developers to assist with technial errors. Communication internally can be better.

Zillow Response

Jun 22, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this review. I'm glad you had a good experience at Zillow, and I wish you all the best.

RSS Feed </> Embed