Zillow

Updated November 25, 2014
4.0

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

If you want to grow your career, Zillow is the place

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Leadership is fantastic 2) Work is challenging 3) Coworkers are authentic and caring 4) Massive opportunity for growth 5) Benefits are getting better --- namely, 401k match, maternity leave

Cons

I truly love working at Zillow. As the company grows, there is certainly a bit more red tape and process. This can be challenging. However, leadership is aware of this and makes an effort to combat this.

Great Office, Culture and people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Zillow is widely known now for being a great company but what I think people don't see is how awesome our SF office is. I saw the other review and it blew my mind. We have the best mix of a start-up feel here in SF but being part of a great and stable company. Our teams are small, everyone's voice matters. I think we unanimously can say in the past year we've had such an awesome improvement in culture thanks to our Office Manager, Recruiter and HR person (you all rock by the way). I saw the other person compared us to our Seattle HQ. Now, I can say confidently, I've probably been to that office more than he/she has. It IS a cool office, no doubt but I would a thousand times over pick SF. Seattle is a bit corporate and doesn't have the personal vibe SF does. If you talk to your manager in SF, our directors or our COO here you WILL be heard. Don't know what other office or company you can say that about.

Cons

No cons for this office per say. But I think as the company grows more transparency is always good. It seems that it's hard to sometimes keep that up which creates a lot of confusion and anxiety down in the trenches. But, I feel that we're in good hands with Spencer and I trust he does what he needs to do.

Keep salaries competitive. Sometimes new people coming in seem to boast about their comp and it isn't always in line with what people who have been here longer are making.

Zillow Response

Nov 20, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

THANK YOU THANK YOU for this great review. You made my day. I am so glad that you are happy at Zillow and I agree with you that the SF office is strong. It is the center of our rentals initiative ... More

Its sales: take the good with the bad

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Excellent pay. I made 90k my first year. Most managers are awesome and care about us. Health package is top notch. The product actually works. Most of my teamates are fantastic. people who say its like boiler room are just not being fair or honest. I am not pushy at all and I make really good money. My clients who listen to my advice kick but.

Cons

Long hours. They can work on noise control. Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward. dollars per min or number of product demonstrations should be weighed in when it comes to daily activity goals.

Best decision I've made!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Where do I start... Zillow is a complete 180 from my last employer and I have to say that coming here has been one of the best decisions I've made in my career.

- Transparency: As an employee, I feel like I'm really in the "know" with where the company is headed/what's going on. This is incredibly valuable.

- Fun: The work culture is genuinely fun and engaging. Teams celebrate wins together, and there have been great culture events to keep everyone happy and motivated.

- Work/life balance: This was really lacking in my previous job, and I'm happy to say that I've been able to maintain a healthy balance between work and my home life. This isn't important to everyone, but it is definitely important to me. I feel like a person again!

- Benefits: AWESOME benefits, especially for those with a family.

I feel like I have learned a lot and have had great exposure to folks from all levels of experience. It's a flat organization without red tape, and the conversations I have with my peers are open and honest.

Cons

Getting started was a little slow due to lack of training in my department, but I'm the type that learns by doing anyway so it didn't take long to hit the ground running.

With our growth, please continue to maintain the culture that we know and love! I worry that this will falter, but have faith that it's being monitored.

Hands Down the Best Job I Have Had.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are smart and driven. Problems are tackled collaboratively and successes are celebrated before the next goal is tackled. I love that an environment of continual learning is encouraged, from bringing in speakers to sharing tech and industry info via email. I feel like work-life balanced is encouraged as people seem focused on work at work, and then communication slows way down after 5pm and on the weekends. It is great!

Cons

I can't think of one at this time.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

Smart people & beautiful women everywhere!

Former Employee - Zillow Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Zillow Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent, commission potential great!
    My manager was super hot!

Cons

Low inventory making it unfair for a newer employee to build a book of business.

It feels like a total grind everyday.

Add a variety of products to sell so you don't have high turn over.

Dream Job - Almost too good to be true

Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will love every aspect of your life at Zillow from the ongoing training classes, to the personal development training's, to requests for your thoughts/input, to the exciting culture, and of course...all of the free snacks. Working at Zillow feels fun and inclusive. Your thoughts matter and are valued. We have motorized stand-up desks, we have treadmill desks, and we even have a 17th floor outdoor deck that you can work on.

Zillow provides coffee, but not just drip coffee! We can choose from americanos, espresso shots, lattes, and cappuccinos.We have our choices of cereals and fruit, yogurt, cheese, and hummus, chips, pretzels, and popcorn, and yes...we really do have a fully stocked candy wall.

Zillow brings in industry speakers for lunch hours and yes, lunch is provided. It gives us the opportunity to hear what is working for their company or campaign and how they are "doing it". People such as Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Jamie Nordstrom, and Arianna Huffington. We've even had a Seahawks player come speak to us.

We have core values and Zillow stands behind all 6 of them in every aspect of the company. We talk about them at every meeting and we live them every day.

Zillow embraces culture by hosting Halloween parties with costume contests, Zoktoberfest, Mariners outings, sponsoring Tough Mudder (which Spencer Rascoff joined in for!), we even have a game room with video games and ping pong, and we all get FitBits to encourage taking the stairs.

Also, Zillow pays for your public transportation (ORCA card) and pays for your health insurance!

We have modern decor and STUNNING views of the Puget Sound, Cascade Mountain Range, Olympic Mountain Range, Mt Baker, and Mt Rainier.

Everyone here is approachable and helpful. You will look forward to coming to work and you'll never hate staying late now and then. You want to work at Zillow!

Cons

I do not have a con about working a Zillow. I smile, ever day, in the elevator on the way up to my floor.

Keep moving in the progressive direction that you are. You make working a Zillow such an exciting opportunity - everyday. Thank you for being far, far above and beyond my expectations!

Hard work and fun

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Good income potential, great people. Very generous with lunches, contests. Annual trip to Seattle for Xmas party. Perfect fit for me.

Cons

Lots of turnover, managers tend to manage numbers not people. A lot of rah rah motivation in lieu of finding out what actually motivates the individual.

Get a better hiring process.

Nov 12, 2014

Thanks for reviewing your experience at Zillow.

I run the Inside Sales organization at Zillow and wanted to address your concerns:

• There is turnover in the Inside sales department and we're
    ... More

great potential that is impossible to reach.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great start up mentality. awesome perks. primo location. everything is fun all the time outside of your grind. this of course was 2 years ago.

Cons

the turnover rate is very depressing. it is hard to stay focused when people are vanishing left and right. if you can handle that, and you can sell, you can be very happy.

more hands on training from the managers to their salespeople. one week before sending them off into the wild just is not enough.

Nov 19, 2014

My name is Doug Slotkin and I run the Inside Sales organization - I likely interacted with you a couple of years ago when you were at Zillow.

The training, to your point, has improved in terms of
    ... More

Zillow Intern experience

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site. We played ping pong a lot while waiting for code to compile. Really great view of Seattle.

Cons

The work I was doing wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to be doing for the rest of my life - I needed something more challenging than front-end website work.