Zillow Reviews

264 reviews filtered by
4.2
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

Great benefits, great product, innovative company.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and culture. Can easily make 6 figures on the inside sales floor. Great people and exciting company to work for.

Cons

Upward mobility is limited especially pertaining to the sales floor. It is hard to move into management or vertically into other departments.

Relax on monitoring employees days using arbitrary metrics. They do not accurately portray the output, efficiency or effectiveness of an employee.

Mar 26, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

I'm glad the experience has been positive and I wanted to address your concerns.

While it is competitive to earn promotions, there are literally

Positivity Run Rampant

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've never worked for a better organization in my life and would like to retire happy and old as a Zillow employee. Google-style environment with game rooms, nap stations and desks with treadmills. Base salary plus competitive compensation plan, amazing benefits, catered meals weekly, monthly retreats/getaways, free snacks/foods/beverages daily, complementary fitness classes, comprehensive training program, tons of bonus giveaways and plenty of upward mobility.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about Zillow as an organization. The job itself is extremely difficult and there is no room for "off-days"; it's not for the feint of heart. For those not self-motivated, I suggest you steer clear.

Continue on the optimistic and positive track that you are on. You are some of the strongest culture carriers I've ever encountered in my life. Keep up the good work!

Mar 18, 2015

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback! I am glad the experience has been so positive and appreciate your candor about the opportunity and challenges that the role presents.

Sky's the limit - Happy
    ... More

Best real-estate tech company in nation.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Amazing work environment and candy-culture, and I mean (free skittles, m&m's, starburst, trail mix, etc). Young hipster , party employees.

Cons

very few cons to discuss if any.

none.

Mar 4, 2015VP, Sales Strategy and Operations

Thanks for the nice feedback! Glad you're enjoying (and I assume thriving) in our team. Also remember - we just added a frozen yogurt machine on the 33rd floor.

5. Work is interesting, people are nice, hours are reasonable.

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun product, people are nice.

Cons

There isn't anything in particular I dislike.

6. Great Company!

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Feel like you are a part of a team while still having the ability to work autonomously. Great leadership and explosive growth.

Cons

Communication from management can be lacking at time. With extreme growth, the unknown can seem common.

Follow through on new hire orientation. Continue to implement processes to keep things on track. Offer more time to listen to concerns from employees.

Zillow Response

Mar 25, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that our new employee onboarding could improve. We have made great strides here, but it can always be better -- especially beyond the first few days. We have ... More

Yes, it is a great company, but the treatment of some employees is troubling and very disturbing.

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

The perks are great. An environment that is enviable to most.

Cons

Upper management seems adamant about providing the best work environment for their employees and has put forth much time and energy into this matter. However, the reality of the situation doesn't match their assurances. For an employee to be publicly chastised with vulgar language is over the top -- especially when the situation does not warrant any kind of rebuke. It's understood that brilliant minds work at Zillow, but that doesn't automatically make them manager material.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. It's the honorable thing to do.

8. Inside Sales Consultant...Great company, you can make a difference, and make good $

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Having a base salary in sales gives you the safety net that you need but I'm pretty sure it is below living wage so if you don't hit quota one month you are in a pickle if you aren't saving. Luckily, they just started 401k and financial advising sessions so there are tons of resources easily accessible to you. If you are good and work hard, you can expect ~$100k in your first year after bonuses and commission are factored in.

If you keep your head down and work harder than anyone in your training class it will pay off. Maybe not right away, but a few months later it will. Going along with this, if you are honest, care about people, and always do what is right, it pays off. If you are not, you will not last long.The trust instilled in you by management, trainers and your teammates does take some time to build but it is awesome when you get it. With any sales job, there are really high highs and really low lows. What matters is how you handle yourself on both ends of the spectrum and if you are consistent. Nobody likes the crazy hormonal sales person!

If you tell your manager that you want to help train new hires on your team or be a mentor, they will make it happen, you just need to be vocal about your goals for your career at Zillow . If you want to be more involved, say something. There are lots of great groups at Zillow you can become a part of, it just takes a little bit of time to get adjusted.

When it comes to benefits, hands down best benefits package around. Healthcare is amazing.Only request would be for folks doing inside sales to have the ability to work from home, or maybe give a flexible vacation policy. The already existing one is great, but hey, there's always room for improvement. Lots of catered lunches and happy hours. Culture is definitely very fun .

Cons

Base salaries have dropped over the past few years and they aren't very consistent. Raises are very small in sales...maybe $500 a year. Most people leave before they even have the opportunity to be promoted to a special team. With that being said, a lot of people give up too easily in sales..as in they don't view Zillow as a career, they view it as a quick gig.

Also, there are some people out there that cheat the system ....one top rep who is always around $100k in sales higher than anyone else but is rumored to have MLS keys and people who have previously worked with this individual said they cheated in their last job. Its nice that there is a monthly ranking of more than just sales ...cancelation rate, surveys, etc...and this individual is not consistently #1. At least management isn't necessarily rewarding bad behavior.

There are some sales managers that literally just sit on Twitter all day and never call angry clients back as they are promised. Yes, you may have been at Zillow for 4+ years but you're getting paid to empower your team, not be lazy!

More transparency on how our commissions are paid would be amazing. In training they mention it, but by the time you actually know the product you are selling you forgot about that completely. Also, if people aren't meeting their quota consistently, instead of firing them, maybe they can be considered for another job at Zillow since a sales position has so many transferrable skills.

When it comes to Spencer the CEO, keep up the great work. We all love your honesty and openness. He pretty much responds to every email within 5 minutes and allows you to text him questions during the all staff meetings. For upper level management, we are in great hands. Lower level management needs to be tweaked .

Mar 20, 2015

Thanks for the very thoughtful and thorough review.

It seems like you have an excellent grasp of what it takes to be successful at Zillow and that, for the most part, you like the environment in

9. Inside Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked snacks, happy hours, amazing benefits, fun atmosphere

Cons

If you're not "in the club" with the right managers, life is extremely difficult. Play the games & befriend everybody quickly.

Get rid of all the inappropriate middle managers - upper level management is 2nd to none

Mar 19, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and sorry you feel the experience on our OC sales team wasn’t positive – we’ve worked hard to build a sales culture in Orange County that rewards those who ... More

10. Typical Tech Company. San Francisco office is nice, but doesn't get quite the recognition that the Seattle office does.

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Great leadership and positive momentum from upper management. The pay is decent. Mostly stress free environment (at least for engineering). Management is fairly lenient about taking time off during the day and working from home (for now at least). Stock options are generous. Finally did 401k matching. Kudos. We appreciate you all changing your mind about that.

Cons

San Francisco office management feels distant and almost lacking direction. I attribute that to the Trulia acquisition where hopefully the misfits of Zillow San Francisco can feel like they are part of the group once that comes into play.

The San Francisco office is mostly a a tech centric office that isn't as vibrant as other offices. Don't get me wrong, I'm a quiet egghead myself, but it can be a little drab with lack of other personalities.

The bathroom. It's nasty and we have to walk a city block to get to it. Thankfully we are moving soon.

Find a way to bring the excitement of Seattle to your satellite offices.

Zillow Response

Mar 17, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    I appreciate the feedback. The Zillow SF office is moving into the Trulia space in a few weeks (hopefully by end of March) which I think will help a lot with the issues you are concerned about

Well, that happened.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will work with some of the best and most dedicated individuals I've ever met. These are also the same people that are slowly being driven away by divisive middle management and a toxic environment. While I greatly enjoyed some of my time there, I do feel that working there stunted my professional growth due to inner department politics and ineffective middle management.

Cons

No clear career path
    Ineffective middle management
    The most backbiting atmosphere I've ever worked in ( Sales and Ops are pretty much at war with each other every single day )
    The level of compensation is well below local and national average.
    Year and a half with no review or salary increase. Was told "Well that's just how it is sometimes" by Senior HR staff.
    Sudden surge of growth in last 15 months has created a production line atmosphere

Attempt to make sure that the culture that you speak of and tell the world about is in place. Once you're inside the org, the core you preach values rarely matter. That said in speaking with Spencer and other senior executives, I truly believe they care, but do not really have the visibility regarding the day to day operations.

Zillow Response

Mar 17, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    Spencer here. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your Zillow experience more. It sounds like maybe there is some stuff going on in your group (I'm guessing Display Sales?) which I need to dig into, and