Zillow

Zillow Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff

Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days(in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called(in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture(in 5 reviews)

Exhilarating

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsI love my job, plain and simple. I created my own book of business from scratch and it's a living and breathing entity that I enjoy taking care of and expanding. The people are great. In fact I've met most of my best friends @Z and I've only been a sales rep for 8 mo. The culture is dynamic the vibe is fast paced and rewarding. The opportunity, with hard work, is seemingly endless; i.e. Uncapped commissions. I pay more in taxes than I made at my previous sales job that I thought I liked until becoming a 'Zillowite'

ConsWork your butt off for the first 6 months and you'll not only more confident in your own life and skills but your own sense of self worth will skyrocket. Wait that's not a con.... No cons just be prepared to work hard and play hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Thank you for the opportunity and don't raise quotas or decrease commission whilst the product becomes more of a household name and easier to sell. :)

Thank you thank you!

Excellent company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros* Very talented coworkers
    * A lot of opportunities to build new and fascinating products and data
    * Great environment
    * There are career opportunities in the traditional roles, not so much in others

Cons* Very limited intra-team communication, some teams treat their areas as silos
    * Expertise of some employees not utilized to its fullest, leaving some very smart people wondering

Advice to Senior Management* Figure out a way for teams to communicate better and make the transparency exhibited at the highest managerial levels trickle down
    * Keep being excellent at the executive level and keep making employees feel part of a winning team

Jul 21, 2014

Good feedback about intra-team communication. The planning team meetings and the "what's going on" emails are supposed to help with this, but you're right that we could do better at this. Thank you ... More

Incredible

Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI've blossomed so quickly with everything they've provided. My career has been able to expand very quickly with the incredible environment Zillow has brought to the industry.

ConsWhile not the highest compensation in the industry this is hardly a con. They understand how to make a job fun.

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. It's so important that we keep engineers fired up about Zillow. As you know, we try to keep our product teams small so that engineers and testers can have a lot of ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was a great place to grow and learn.

Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsWhen I started at Zillow OC we had a small group , maybe 20 of us and we had the opportunity to meet some of the senior Management on a more personal level, the pioneers of the company. The CEO, CRO and both VP of Sales were all very hands on to make sure this venture of their amazing company was a success. The 3 original managers took all the things that made the sales floor in Seattle successful and implemented them in OC, and they were determined to make sure the OC was the best sales floor in the company. OC changed the standards and became better ten expected and I have nothing but the highest respect for how this was done. I got to learn the real estate industry from a perspective that I never knew existed and I get to use in my new career and for that I am forever grateful. Thank you for the time you invested and for the work you have all put in. If you listen and follow you will succeed, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel their system works, and ask for help if you struggle, they will help you and will take care of you, if you give them 100% you will succeed.

ConsThis job can be discouraging to a new rep watching the veterans who have a book of business that provide them more sales and more referrals, but everyone was at one point in the same spot. And there are some reps that are always negative and truly believe there is a conspiracy and can be a cancer to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell with your reps show them the ways it gets done! lead by example pull the team with you do not push them , you may push them away.

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for the feedback.
    I love visiting the Irvine office, which I do every few weeks. Greg (our CRO) also visits regularly. The team there is so fired up about Zillow's success.

Wonderful, progressive workplace

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros* Great environment and culture
    * Company fosters individual growth
    * Lots of perks and morale events
    * Z-speaker series! We've had Arianna Huffington and Vicente Fox come give talks, for example
    * Transparency
    * Free snacks, free lunches at the end of the month and on days where there are events
    * Great work/life balance
    * Fair, competitive compensation for engineers
    * Engineering teams are committed to moving forward and fixing issues with both code and process, rather than band-aiding things

Cons* Growing rapidly, which is great, but things do change a lot and sometimes it takes a while to catch up to them
    * Snacks rotate too frequently. Don't get too attached to anything, because it might be gone the next month.
    * Lots of domain knowledge required to move through the code base very effectively. This can be a little bit intimidating for new hires, and can extend ramp-up to several months if your work touches multiple areas on the site. Don't feel intimidate to ask someone, though, because we've all been through it, fully understand, and are working to improve it.

Advice to Senior Management* Monetary bonuses based on seniority rather than gift bonuses in December
    * Perhaps fewer all-hands meetings? It's great to learn what's going on in the company, but sometimes they're just a few weeks apart, and they can be little redundant.
    * Bring back the popcorn

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. I've passed along your popcorn request to zfacilities! Glad you're having fun here. Me too.

Best Job I ever had and Best Company to work for

Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDecent base pay, great commission structure if you work your butt off, smart and motivated people to be around, free food, awesome speakers come in to talk to everyone every so often, they are very open and transparent about what is going on inside the company, awesome benefits, loud music (awful on some days haha), ping pong tables, peanut butter m&m's!!!!!

ConsLong hours, and a lot of phone calls. But there are cons in EVERY company and position. Overall, if you put in the hard work, it definitely pays off here. Give it at least 6 months, you will definitely see results, and if you don't, then the job probably isn't for you

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a great manager. He was not a micro manager AT ALL, which I loved, but if you ever wanted to chat or if you needed help, personal or professional, he was there. Great job.

The only reason I left Zillow was to move closer to my family in Chicago. If you open an office in Chicago or close by, or decide to let anyone work remotely, I would be back in a heartbeat.

Love going to work every day!

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsProjects move fast, and things get done. There is no bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo. The people are awesome - intelligent, driven, fun, and instinctively collaborative - literally every person in this building would give you a hand if you needed help without a second's hesitation. In terms of career development, IT'S AMAZING! I've been here just 6 months and have already had so many opportunities to lead projects. Additionally, being surrounded by ambitious, excited "do-ers" is inspiring and is a daily push for me to prove what else I can do. It has been a pretty phenomenal journey thus far, and it attributes to why I love coming into work every day.

ConsZillow is growing like crazy, so there are new faces every week. Sometimes it's hard to keep up! And because Zillow is growing so quickly, sometimes the resources can't keep pace. You encounter the occasional growing pain, or what I like to call the 'awkward puppy' moments (you know, when a puppy appears to be quite a big dog but still has huge paws relative to its body size and is a bit clumsy). The expenses system when I first started is a good example, but it's better now. For me, these are insignificant details when it comes to my overall job satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up - you're doing great. :)

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you for the great feedback. I'm so glad that you are having a good experience here.
    I definitely agree that as the company grows, we need to make sure that some "back-office" things keep
    ... More

An amazing 5 months

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWhat's better than a job that provides 3 weeks of vacation? A job that provides 3 weeks of vacation, plus 2 'hackweeks' in the year, where you get to team up with anyone else and let your creativity run wild. (I'd even trade one of my vacation weeks for an extra hackweek). To top it off, it doesn't hurt spending the remaining weeks innovating with dedicated and motivated teammates.

In five months here, I've had a chance to work on a pivotal feature, win at hackweek, and know that the senior folks are listening if I need them to. Zillow places a lot of emphasis on culture and looks for ways to keep innovating. If you're talented and motivated, consider spending your energy at Zillow, and my experience here so far says you'll get more energized in return.

ConsSome of the legacy code can be challenging to navigate. On the positive side, most dev managers seem to be open to refactoring small chunks of code despite the obvious risks.

Jun 30, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! I'm really glad that you're having such a great experience here, and in particular that you're finding the work interesting and impactful. As you know, we try to keep our ... More

Visionary leaders, but now with added layers of management as the cost of growing the company

Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe top rate talent for co-workers is the norm. The ability to have ownership of projects makes the work meaningful. They create a culture of high expectations and reward accordingly. Work/life balance is important and they do a good job of balancing that for the employees.

ConsI enjoyed the start-up ethos the company displayed in the early days, but after becoming a public company the level of bureaucracy increased to a point where innovation was slowed down

Jun 30, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. As you probably know, I work very hard to make sure the company moves fast and that we remain every bit as nimble and innovative as we were when we were a 20 person ... More

Amazing collaborative place to grow!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Dedicated individuals working hard to create innovative products
    - Trust of upper level management to take on new projects
    - Room for professional growth
    - Everyone is very invested but yet open to your feedback and opinions, which I found to be very unique

Cons- Such a nice place hard to leave
    - Can be challenging if not the type of person who like to take on challenges and needs tons structure

Jun 30, 2014

I'm glad you liked Zillow so much. Sorry to see you go, but thank you for the nice review.

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!