Zillow

Zillow Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff

Spencer Rascoff

Pros:
  • "Plenty of excellent free food and a beautiful view of Orange County"
    in 19 reviews
  • "The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "You make tons of calls all day everyday, and real estate agents are not the most fun people to talk to"
    in 8 reviews
  • "On the phone all day, customer service, call time"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best job I've had

Front End Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

ProsI've been a software developer for almost 10 years, including 2+ years at Amazon.

Zillow is the best job I've ever had.

Zillow treats you like a highly valued employee, not just a cog in a machine.

The real estate space has great potential for disruption, and Zillow is positioned perfectly to take advantage of it.

Work hours are reasonable. I leave my work at work. No work email on my phone, no pager.

There's catered lunches at least once a month. Free snacks and soda and cereal and milk every day.

There's a game room with Foosball, ping pong, shuffleboard, Xbox and N64. People play games daily for a short break from writing code (Mario Kart and Smash Bros are huge).

The CEO and the Founder interact with employees and are very personable.

Teammates are smart and generous with their time to help new hires ramp up.

Ramping up to speed does not take as long as at other companies.

ConsThere is no 401(k) match.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a 401(k) match.

Heres what its REALLY like working as a sales rep at Zillow

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

ProsSo the culture, benefits package, commission structure perks are great. A co-worker put it best "You get to be yourself here".

If anyone gets me going about my job I usually can't stop talking for 20 minutes. Most people eventually respond with "It almost sounds like you're making it up".

The management treats the employees with respect and have all done your job before, so the advice/help/coaching all comes from experience and they are super supportive. This place is truly amazing and you do get to be a part of a company that is consistently breaking records and winning month after month. The culture values doing the right thing, enriching the lives of the employees and clients we work with and nobody (Sales or management) is above this "no jerks, support your coworkers" culture all the way up to the top.

ConsThis job isn't for everybody. The people who shine are VERY competitive and driven, and put 100% into their work EVERY day. You have to really WANT this to be here. You don't have to put in more than 40-50 hours, but you do need to work HARD and keep a cheetah pace. If you want the payoff, you need to spend all your time on the phone. (It's like they expect you to work hard to make a lot of money, what a concept right?!?)
This is a DREAM job if you are willing to put in the work, but there are no shortcuts to being successful in this position and people who can't stay focused on the long term career picture and get stuck in the day to day grind may find it difficult to keep pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe highest compliment I can give is this I care deeply for the well being of this company; the name, and the reputation, and that I am Zillow to the agents I get to work with. I feel that way because of the treatment, respect and guidance I have received from management. Keep it up guys!

Be ready to leave it all on the field!

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are many perks that I appreciate, 401k, Stock Options, Great Medical Benefits , smart people to work with and helpful Managers.I am really impressed with the company transparency. You can walk up to Mr Rascoff the CEO and have a conversation with him whenever he visits Irvine office. Our Leader John B. is great, always willing to roll up his sleeves and get in the trenches with his employees . Also I like working for the #1 company in our industry! You do work hard no doubt but when you finish your work day you know you gave all you had for that day and that is very gratifying for me!

ConsAs a older employee (in my 50's) I sometimes struggle with technology and speed (although I must say my Manger is always ready to help) Also I have been penalized for not hitting call time everyday, but its part of the job requirement and is a proven success formula.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more promotions, give a good employee a Senior Sales Consultant title that would assist the Team Manager. This would give motivation and keep good employees. Also under the current system the top sales person is the next promoted Manger and that may not be the best person for the job.

Fun culture, with a great work-life ballance

User Experience Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company culture is relaxed and fun. The people are passionate about their work without being over-driven. I feel like I have an impact, which is very impressive in a medium-large company. Zillow has many morale events with great food and drinks. Zillow often hosts major influencers in business and politics to speak and answer questions, which can be very interesting. Free espresso drinks, anytime!

ConsNot as nimble as some smaller companies, but for the size they are more nimble than can be expected.

BEST JOB EVER!

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

ProsZillow is by far the best company I have ever been employed by. They truly respect their employees and treat us incredibly well. The culture is amazing and the support we receive from upper management is great! You can make as much money as you want as long as you work hard...the pay structure is very pro-employee. GREAT BENEFITS AS WELL! I can't imagine working for any other company!

ConsHigh-stress sales environment----but that's sales so it's to be expected.

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review

Apr 7, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience at Zillow!

Glad to hear that the sales environment and support is so motivating and enjoyable for you - Continued success!

Doug Slotkin ... More

Great place to work - but there are limits

Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food. Plus, getting to be part of something really big and really cool; bringing transparency in real estate to everyone, not just the most educated or with the most to gain.

Executive staff really pushes "zillow culture" and funds lunches, speakers, and events to keep it going. In Lincoln, the food is usually from local restaurants instead of the national chains. The speakers are typically leaders of well known companies, political figures, or amazing people doing amazing things. A recent speaker was from a non profit building schools in Africa.

It's also cool that in such a huge company the top brass are very accessible, friendly, and really care about the workers doing the entry level jobs. I've emailed the CEO, Spencer, and actually received a friendly response in return. I don't think you'll find that at most companies, especially one the size of Zillow.

ConsWorking in a small office outside Seattle, I feel like I'm unable to be promoted or change roles because of the limited jobs and job types in my office.

I'm hearing about the tremendous growth of the company all the time, but I'm not seeing it in my office and I'm not seeing it in the way of expanded opportunities for me or fellow co-workers. To take the next step in my career, I'll probably have to leave Zillow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how to keep motivated and hardworking employees rewarded and how someone could really make a long term career at Zillow in all the offices. Also, post internal promotions instead of hand picking staff to promote. I've seen unposted staff changes/promotions in nearly every department. You never know if someone from another department may be qualified or interested in the role. When jobs are limited, everyone should get a fair chance to compete for them.

On the same note, I think Zillow could benefit from utilizing all resources from coast to coast. With so many offices, can Zillow allow for employees to join teams from other offices? If you already have a great employee trained with a proven work history, why not keep them and allow them to do roles that most greatly benefit the company at large, instead of the best role for them in their office?

So that's my $.02

Overall - very good place to work

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros-Benefits
-Transparency
-Leadership
-Competitive vision
-Marketing

Zillow has been a great place to work. The transparency is encouraging and I like the fact we are "playing to win" - not just compete, but to win.

Cons-HR (as the company gets bigger and HR being in a different location, it's tough to get answers in a timely fashion)
-Seattle based - this is great for those in Seattle, but employees in other cities constantly get to hear about the Zillow culture but are still trying to figure out how to change the culture at their location.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time sharing with non-Seattle Zillowites how the bricks they are laying will impact Z as a whole.

Consider more talks or speakers in other offices.

Zillow CEO (Spencer Rascoff) responded to this review

Apr 1, 2014

Thank you for the review and the feedback. Regarding HR issues being tricky in remote offices, please always feel free to escalate things to Kathleen quickly. She can triage emails about HR ... More

Glad I am done with this place

I have been working at Zillow full-time

ProsGreat benefits, and free soft drinks and snacks, they buy lunches for you (so you don't leave the building). Games to play (although it is just for show i think). A great product in some states, and truly some of the most gifted co-workers around. The base is not the greatest but there is real money in the commissions and the monthly sales contests. I did well there but there are better Jobs out there with just as good perks and Just as good money if no more.

ConsI finally decided to write this review, I have worked n sales my whole life, and I love to grind I love to cold call and I love to close a sale that is why I am in sales. But this is for anyone looking to work at Zillow Irvine, you have a 50/50 shot there, as much as they want to act like they are not corporate, they are extremely corporate to the core. If you know how to brown nose and buy in to the environment make the correct allies and willing to be a cheer leader and all the other nonsense that goes on there you will be fine , you will get fed leads and inherit clients from others who did not make it so you will succeed they will help you (they will deny this happens), but it is blatant and obvious, they truly believe other reps do not see this or are that stupid not to notice. The younger you are the more they will help you, or if you are female that seems to work as well but most importantly you can not be challenging to them and you HAVE to kiss their ass. If you cannot do that successfully you will fail and they will let you go, the Irvine office has the fastest revolving door. The sales floor in Irvine is not an even playing field , and there in very little chance for promotion there has only been 4 people in Irvine promoted and at the rate they let people go and people quit they do not retain enough people to make no positions available. In the Seattle Office there is much more opportunities, employee retention is much better so more teams are made so more people get promoted, they have opportunities for outside sales positions and it seems like there is much better leadership there. They claim the Irvine office is more high energy and better culture they why do so many people leave and get fired? too many things do not add up to their claims. From what i saw in Irvine the average new class has only 20% to 30% of the new hires staying or keeping their job, maybe that is the way they want it?

To sum it up this office is an unstable work environment with favoritism determining success maybe 10% of the sales reps do all that is necessary without being fed on a constant basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven the playing field stop favoring one over another and learn how to retain your employees better.

Look closer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits and beautiful building

ConsThe organization has not figured out how to grow. They do not want process in place to slow down their rapid speed but need it desperately to support growth. Generally the right arm doesn't know what the left arm is doing. People will jump so quickly into action with a new idea that it doesn't matter the amount of money or energy they put into this idea. The company is not data driven in it's business decisions. There is not software in place to help the company scale and everything on the business side is done manually and with tons of pain.
They are not ready to be a mature company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign and remove ambiguity within positions. Do not allow 1-2 people to make decisions for the entire company. Empower the individuals who you have employed to take action and make change. Do not challenge the change at every turn. Process and protecting the company can be a good thing.

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review

Apr 1, 2014

I am disappointed to read your feedback. I do agree with sentences like this though: "They do not want process in place to slow down their rapid speed but need it desperately to support growth." That ... More

look before you leap

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Zillow full-time

Prosfree food, great CEO, great benefits

Consyou get free food but you eat at your desk and never leave. the benefits are great but you never have a chance to use them because you are pressured to never leave your desk. even when you make your quota you are pressured to do more. the hours are outrageous if you want to make your daily required call time. management is unprofessional and lacks experience in leadership. lots of foul language from managers.

Advice to Senior Managementfind managers who are professional and have skills other than selling.

Zillow Employer Representative responded to this review

Mar 24, 2014

I run the Inside Sales team and I am sorry your experience wasn't positive. I did want to address the specifics - we don't micro-manage our people but we do hold people accountable in terms of effort ... More

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!

Zillow Videos

Zillow – Why Work for Us?

Zillow is an online real estate marketplace where homeowners, buyers, sellers, renters, real estate agents and mortgage professionals find and share vital information about homes and mortgages. Launched in early… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zillow reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff. All 169 reviews posted anonymously by Zillow employees.