Zillow Reviews

Reset
4.3
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good for a company that is growing this fast (in 15 reviews)

• Need I say free food and drinks (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

1. I love working at zillow

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love to work at a place where good ideas, hard work, a fast pace, team work as well as independence all lead to success, you'll find all of it here. Great people, good perks (health insurance 100% covered, food, casual work environment, and many work-life balance benefits). Some pros: 1. Consistently voted one of the best places to work in Seattle - and for a good reason 2. Free orca pass - i haven't had to drive at all! and i use it on weekends and outside work hours. 3. Exposure to amazing projects 4. Z talks 5. transparency from the top down 6. Growth opportunities 7. Zillow encourages volunteerism, charity work and more at a grassroots level 8. All the zillow parties, happy hours and other fun activities 9. Work life balance is respected, but when the need arises, everyone is happy to work as long and as hard as needed 10. Positive inclusive culture and 11. Amazing leadership team with women at the top!

Cons

No pets allowed at the seattle building... but that's not zillow's fault! Need to see more ethnic diversity in the leadership

Advice to Management

Hire more engineers and more tech/customer support people! It seems like everyone is always backlogged and while we move fast and think big, our teams can't keep up with the demands and maintain high quality work. As we grow it's important to grow the backbone too! Other than that, it's amazing to see what people can do, how hard and smart they work: perfect example has been the latest IotT project! Amazing what was accomplished by so many teams across the country in such a short time!

2. Inspiring work environment

Pros

Employees are appreciated and hard work never goes unnoticed. Spencer, the CEO, personally takes feedback from employees on how the work environment can be improved and he acts on it. I have worked at large companies where it's easy to get lost in the shuffle, but Zillow still has the intimate "start up" feel even as they grow to 2,000+ employees. I work with brilliant people who work extremely hard yet always make time to answer a question or help a fellow employee.

Cons

There is really nothing to complain about.

Aug 24, 2015

Thank you for your review, and I'm so glad you're happy here! Please feel free to reach out to me directly (or post here) if you have any further feedback, we're always striving to make Zillow a ... More

3. SDE Intern

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Awesome place to work! I absolutely loved my internship. Pros: -Great pay ($36/hr) -Free (very nice) housing in downtown Seattle -Great, helpful, friendly co-workers -Lots of fun events (jet skis, movies, whirly ball, rafting, etc) -You hear loads of upper management and executives speak -Learn a ton about enterprise level web development -Small enough company that the work you do is visible and impactful

Cons

Zillow's growth means there's lots of growing pains: -there's great difficulty deprecating anything -similarly, bad architecture only gets worse as things grow -there was a lot of struggles around the testing framework when I was around

Advice to Management

Continue to try and move fast think big as the company grows, it's gonna make or break.

Aug 24, 2015 – CTO

Thanks for the feedback, and all your efforts this summer. We have been hosting interns from the very beginning of our company history, and this was our biggest class to date. Each year we look to ... More

5. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome culture, management, benefits, transparency

Cons

The quick growth did create a lot of growing pains, many of which didn't get addressed as quickly as necessary to keep our agents happy on a basic level.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zillow part-time

Pros

It was ok, I got some alright experience but I felt like I was being used for my friends and family and contacts.

Cons

I felt like I was being used for my friends and family and contacts and it was similar to a multi level marketing plan.

Advice to Management

Please help your employees gain further knowledge of actual real financial services rather than have them reach out to other companies for advice.

7. good

Pros

it was a good company to work for

Cons

limited growth potential within this organization

Aug 13, 2015

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate and read all of it. I'm sorry you didn't feel there was growth potential for you. Best of luck in your next role. - Amy (COO)

inside sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow (Less than a year)

Pros

great views, free food, fun people

Cons

the job is crazy hard. every real estate agent you call has heard of/used zillow in the past and know exactly why they don't want to try again or why they haven't tried already. it gets really old trying to talk people into a product they dont want

Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for giving us your feedback regarding your experience in Inside Sales at Zillow. I would say that while most agents have heard of Zillow, the vast majority of agents we call have not ... More

OC Development

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

The development teams in Orange County solve interesting technical problems, use the latest technology and get to work in a relaxed-ish environment. The people are fantastic and the number one reason to work here. You'll get to work together, share ideas and learn while contributing to software used by millions.

Cons

There aren't any huge downsides. There will be less than amazing projects but that happens everywhere. The benefits could be better in some areas but they're still good.

Aug 20, 2015 – VP of Industry Solutions

Thank you for the kind words. We work hard to create a fun but highly productive environment for everyone to do their best work. Incredibly smart, creative and hardworking employees like yourself ... More

Hard work pays. Daily grind. Repetitive. Competitive.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to make a lot of money is there you just need to be good at seeking it out, being consistent, not letting "no" discourage you and really believing in the product. The job itself is the best sales opportunity I've ever had because of the product, brand recognition and culture. Im about to hit my two year mark as a sales consultant and I am very proud that I've been able to reach the stretch goals/quotas every month. Zillow pushes you to succeed and if you believe you can, you will. I've really enjoyed the challenge.

Cons

My biggest complaint would probably be regarding the expectation to bring 100% energy everyday or hit a certain number of phone calls or minutes everyday. Being on your "A" game everyday isn't really possible in my eyes. Some days I would prefer to work "on" my business rather than "in" it. With the daily eye on my activity I feel guilty taking breaks to recharge my batteries. Some days I may be really productive taking care of emails, finding new reports to be more effective and researching how to do my job better and those types of things aren't applauded because they aren't recorded in the sales dashboard. To sum it up, I think recognition from management could be improved.

Advice to Management

I'm a pretty happy employee! :)

Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. Glad to know that for the most part, your job has been satisfying for you and rewarding in terms of hitting your numbers and challenging yourself - Thank you ... More

Growing Pains But Overall Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, wonderful working environment. You get everything you need to get the job done. Leadership vision is strong and clearly communicated. Very transparent company. Lots of fun to be had. Benefits are solid.

Cons

Some office politics to navigate in terms of alliances and cliques that can pose hurdles to pushing ideas forward and getting buy-in for projects. Challenging ramp up as processes, knowledge, and data exists in silos across the company and are not accessible efficiently . Developer resources are limited for a company this size, so being scrappy and willing to adjust technical aspects of a project on the fly is crucial to success. Growth is at a crescendo, so company culture is in transition and hasn't regained it's footing. Additionally, as it grows, "old timers" are promoted who have little to no experience managing people. No longer a start up feel, but more a corporate environment creating new barriers to getting things done in innovative ways. Work/life balance is absolutely lip service. Young singles who put in 50/60 hour weeks are recognized often and rise quickly, while those trying to strike a more reasonable approach tread water and are viewed as ineffective.

Advice to Management

Make sure the Core Values are practiced at every level. Too many times I saw teams and individuals trying to meet goals while operating well outside these values with no correction made by management. If "fail fast" is a tenet, then ensure there is room for mistakes without fear.

Aug 13, 2015

Thank you for your feedback, and especially the advice to management. We appreciate and read all of this. - Amy (COO)

RSS Feed </> Embed