Zillow

Updated February 16, 2015
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Better than I ever could have imagined...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was super nervous when this acquisition between Mortech/Zillow went down but this seriously has to be one of the best places to work in country, let alone Lincoln NE.

Perks Include:
    Game Rooms (Ping Pong, Shuffleboard, Video Games, Golf, Basketball)
    Catered Lunches (Every Wednesday and special occasions)
    Free snacks/drinks
    Laid Back Work Atmosphere (tunes playing through Sonos speakers all day)
    Great Benefits
    Work Outings that are really fun
    Great People
    Opportunity 2X a year to work on whatever you want to improve company/product
    Casual Dress Code
    Encouraged to email anyone from manager to CEO with anything you need

Cons

I'd love to see more accountability between departments, too many issues turn into a "he said she said" type conversations that can get frustrating not only to employees but our customers.

Zillow seems to still be under the radar a bit in the Lincoln community , we need to continue to get the word out about how great this place is which will result in deeper talent pools for open positions.

Feb 4, 2015VP, Mortgages

I can understand why many folks were worried about the acquisition when it originally happened, but I'm so glad you are really happy with where we ended up together. Zillow's mortgages business is ... More

Pretty great place. Some growing pains

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

The exec team tries very hard to make employees feel empowered + part of something broader. The company is on track to do phenomenal things. People who work here are smart, motivated and certain teams have incredible cohesion (especially dev teams).

Cons

It can be cliquish within depts/teams -- I.e. certain people manage all forward-facing projects. Immediate management is not always great -- further trainings and support for managers should be provided in teaching them how to encourage great work from their reports. Some work-life practices should be instilled within departments --
    Particularly encouragement to take a sick day rather than WFH, regular lunch breaks, etc. This sort of balance needs to be modeled by immediate managers to create a trickle-down effect of a better environment for all.

Better manager training -- it's clear some managers have never managed a team and teaching them how to best support and value to lower level employees would really take Z to the next level. (a lot of creativity inc's management practices could be applied here!)

Zillow Response

Feb 5, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review and the feedback. I definitely agree that we could do a better job of manager training, and this is something that we are working on. Corina (and the whole Learning ... More

Great job, but perhaps not a long-term one

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hours, the people are smart and nice, good culture, good pay, amazing benefits... it's all here. The company's future is bright, and Spencer Rascoff, the CEO, is not only brilliant, he's genuine and kind.

Cons

If you're in the sales department, bring your "A" game or you'll be gone quick. They start you out with relatively easy goals, but they rise to such a high level over time that you may feel punished for your successes, and they are not forgiving. Your commissions have decelerators that are tied to these increasing goals, so it feels like the potential for a pay cut every six months or so. I was wildly successful there, but quit anyway because of the constant pressure. Miss your goal two months in a row, no matter the reason, and you'll be walked out. Also - advancement isn't impossible, but highly unlikely and there's no clear path. You can kill it month in and month out yet never be considered.

High standards for salespeople are good; treating seasoned, successful veterans the way you might treat new people on probation is not if your goal is to build longstanding, deep client relationships. Agents who the product works for tend to fall in love with their Account Executives over time (and vice-versa if it's a good AE). Work just as hard to keep your sales folks happy as you do your tech talent. People will work harder, for less money, if they feel deeply valued - not just on a "what have you done for me today" level, but in a long-term sorta way.

Feb 12, 2015

Thanks for giving us your feedback.

I run the Inside Sales department and wanted to address your concerns.

I think you're right in that this is a challenging job that does require that a person
    ... More

Zillow is an excellent company to work for and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

- Awesome People
    - Collaborative Environment
    - Food Perks
    - Happy Hours
    - Pet (Dog) Friendly "Never really seen anyone bring a cat to work?"

Cons

The misconception from agents that we are trying to take over the industry.

Stay quick and nimble. Be clear on employee career path.

Transparent - Check... Collaborative-Not Checked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Executive Management at Zillow is top notch! They are transparent .. Yes, that word gets thrown around a lot at Zillow (along with adding the letter "z" to everything), but it's true. Between litigation, acquisitions, and general company information, Spencer Rascoff trusts his employees enough to tell the truth (and I guess since I call it "the truth", I must believe him)

Every time I have met Spencer, and more recently Rich (co founder), I get the feeling like they believe in what we do (Power to the People) and want everyone to be productive and happy to work at Zillow.

The perks are pretty great! Lots of food... maybe we should call it the "Zillow Zixteen" for the weight you could gain after you start working there!

Cons

When coworkers look you in the eye and use words like "Zall", "Zpal", "ZWiki", "Zestimate", "Znacks"... well, it's hard not to imagine being in the Smurf Village with Papa Smurf telling you that you are being let go because you are "not the Smurfow Way". At first it is really odd, but everyone drinks the Zool-Aid eventually (too much?)

In all honesty, Zillow has a very youthful culture (if that's a negative for you). It can also sometimes seem clique-ish (lots of unexplained inside jokes, giggles abound from IMs), making it a little difficult for some people to find their place or feel like they fit.

I have lots... but the great thing about Zillow is that I can just go call and tell them directly. :)

Zillow Response

Feb 13, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I guess that makes me Papa Smurf! :)
    Thank you for the great review. I'm glad you are enjoying your time at Zillow, and I thank you for your contributions.

Overall great company, not great locally.

I worked at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The CEO is amazing and you can see his vision and passion for his company. People are very knowledgeable and helpful, in Seattle. The benefits are great. The speakers that they bring in are encouraging. Spencer, the ceo, is accessible, unlike other companies.

Cons

The Lincoln office was run like a good old boys club. If you question anything they will find a reason to let you go. If I could have trnsfered to the Seattle office, it would have been the best job I ever had.

My advise would be to have more communication between the two offices.

Feb 9, 2015VP, Mortgages

I'm sorry you felt that way about the Lincoln office when you were there. Over the past year, we've made a lot of changes that I think you might find have changed the local office culture for the ... More

Fantastic, all around.

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Work Environment
    Benefits
    Co-Workers
    Executives
    Salary
    Management
    Work events

Cons

Downtown Parking (But bus pass is paid)

No advice. Keep on doing what you are doing!

Building something great, and having a great time doing it

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring leadership.
    Amazing colleagues.
    All kinds of opportunities.
    Great benefits, from pay and insurance to free soda, meals, and more.
    You will feel valued.

Cons

Startup ways of getting things done don't always scale. Opportunity now is to build process without becoming a prisoner to it.

It's the people that make this company great - Highly intelligent, fun, devoted people!

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Zillow a little over 2 and a half months now. However it feels like I've been here forever?! It's definitely a good kind of feeling - people here are so friendly that you make friends right off the bat. More importantly, the employees who have been here for a while are extremely experienced and have so much knowledge to offer that there's always something new to learn everyday - it's never ending! It's an open atmosphere where people challenge each other and valuable information is translated across and created on a daily basis. Besides, there's no better way to enjoy all the awesome free food over great conversations with none other than your fellow Zcolleagues - it's the people that make Zillow great.

Cons

None at all! But we should have instructions on how to change the milk / empty grounds at the Starbucks machine for newbies like me! And YES - I googled it and am proud of it!

[Regardless of my short time here] Keep up the great work. I'm really enjoying the entrepreneurial spirit here even though Zillow has been growing at such a rapid pace - I hope it stays this way!

Read this review and you will get the complete truth behind Zillow Sales

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The NUMBER ONE thing I love about working at Zillow is the culture and the people. You get all the fancy stuff like catered lunches, happy hours, unlimited snacks and drinks, unexpected Zillow trips out and an amazing Holiday party in Seattle... but I could not imagine my work life without all the amazing Zillowites I get to spend my day with. At Zillow, there is so much camaraderie and support, each and every person WANTS you to succeed. The benefits are AMAZING and more importantly, the room for growth is substantial. The best part is upper management has all started as a sales rep. They know the ups and downs you go through so there is nothing that they can't help you with. Upper management asks for advice on how to improve and what the "little guys" want / are unhappy about and ALWAYS implement.

The CEO, CRO, Directors, Managers and all the Execs are the BEST professionals and people I have ever worked with. Period.

Cons

Like any sales job, the job is going to be TOUGH. Some people hate it because they are not cut out to be sales people. Period. You can not determine your role or how well you will do at the job for at least 6 months. Therefore, if you are hardworking, positive and enthusiastic, give yourself time to see how amazing the job and the company really is. You will have to cold call people and get uncomfortable at times... i was fresh out of college when I started little over a year ago. The thing about this sales job is THE PRODUCT WORKS. There is nothing worse than selling a product you don't even believe in. We have THE BEST PRODUCT in the industry... how many people can say that?!? Once you see it work, the conviction in your conversations will sell itself. Most have the initial fear of failing because you have no book of business to work from. You have to start fresh and that is hard and scary... but every day gets easier and you will not have a better support system anywhere else.

Keep being transparent! You all do a great job of being very approachable and encouraging to be a culture carrier. I never feel like upper management is a tier of people who are intimidating and won't talk to you. I just want to thank all upper management and the managers in the Irvine office for always having my best interest in mind. Even things that affect me outside of work, I know my work family will always be there for me. Just know, as a rep, I am 100% comfortable and inspired each and every day by the management in the Irvine office. You all have "raised" the best people and built an amazing office.

Zillow Response

Dec 12, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the terrific review - I greatly appreciate it.