Zillow

Updated October 28, 2014
4.1

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 14 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 11 reviews)

• Call time is huge, micromanagement, with managers are only looking out for themselves (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A hip relaxed, and open work experience

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Open office space letting you feel part of the team. Frequent group presentations encouraging growth and ingenuity. A positive culture of lateral and vertical thinking.

Cons

Goals can sometimes not be clearly stated, or identified. A disjointed connection with the bigger picture of the company direction and goals.

Allowing different departments to be more fully involved in the larger picture

Good place to work if your on the digital side of things

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Good salary with great annual bonus. Solid benefits overall. Relatively laid back work environment compared to agency life with plenty of sharp people at all levels.

Cons

Implementing new technology is slow and painful at times due in part to bloated and confusing I.T. Infrastructure. Way to many fiefdoms in this area vying for control tends to add even more layers to effectively get stuff done. Technology that is in production is either outdated or poorly implemented and places unnecessary restrictions on what can be accomplished. Add to this a corporate big brother attitude the restricts or out right denies social media use only serves to limit our ability to stay current with design trends in the market.

Streamline your infrastructure and make it easier to add new technologies. Don't wait to see what your competition us doing and react. Be a leader and drive innovation by looking at future states of your products. Trust your people and allow them to use the tools they need to be relevant and successful at their jobs.

Zillow Intern experience

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site. We played ping pong a lot while waiting for code to compile. Really great view of Seattle.

Cons

The work I was doing wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to be doing for the rest of my life - I needed something more challenging than front-end website work.

writer

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

great company, cutting edge, smart, fluid, fast, industry leader

Cons

hard to think of anything negative

keep it up!

Zillow Response

Oct 3, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you!

Work to live, don't live to work

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You CAN make 100k first year
    The product you are selling CAN change lives and work for your clients
    Upper management (executives) seem to care about the employees - local management does not
    This is a great first job in sales (they will hire anybody) - if you can succeed at Zillow, you can succeed anywhere
    You will build relationships with outstanding people all across the country
    If you are one of the few, you will be fast tracked out of inside sales (12 -18 months)

Cons

LOUD - you will have people screaming, cheering, clapping, noise makers, loud music, etc ALL DAY EVERYDAY
    Its a non stop pep rally and the farthest thing from a professional sales environment you will ever see.

Revolving door - 90% turnover - don't believe otherwise

35k base salary

Long hours - expect 10-12 hours a day to succeed for your first year - sometimes more

Job outlook - This job never gets easier, don't believe the hype. You will make even more calls tomorrow than you did today. There are 200+ sales reps calling the same zip codes, talking to the same agents, about the same product day after day.

Call time - you are REQUIRED to TALK 210 minutes everyday (no, the phone ringing doesn't count towards it)
    You will be expected to hit this number every day. Skip lunch, come in early, and stay late but for gods sake don't miss call time. (this correlates greatly to the 90% turnover).

You will be told to stand up constantly. Some managers will even take your chair away from you.

You will be discouraged from ever taking time off. Management pretends they need advance notice to take your PTO. They will railroad you if you are sick and expect that you work anyway.

You will sell terrible advertising packages because you have a quota to hit. You know its not worth what it costs but you'll sell it anyway. (This is a flaw because the product can work well when sold correctly)

The OC office needs an influx of culture from Seattle - you can have fun and still remain professional. OC hasn't found that balance.

Get rid of call time - manage on activity (calls, conversations, sales, etc), not minutes

Pricing - Find a better formula. Its obscene in many areas. Talk to the front line regarding lead quality and quantity. There is a problem when leads cost hundreds of dollars each.

Good company, good people, boring job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Free food, nice people, nice offices, room for growth, nice benefits, stock options, decent training program.

Cons

Can't speak for other departments, but sales and account management is dull. You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG. Team leads are supportive and my manager was a nice guy, but if you don't enjoy being on the phone and want more action in a job, this isn't for you.
    They watch you more than you think and the first month is really more of a trial run - come in early, stay late, take a short lunch or you're sacked - simple as that. If you're in sales, prepare for a grind - if you're good at it, theres money to be made. If you're not - pack your bags. Account management - don't get used to a lot of money - you won't make it. Enjoy talking to real estate agents and having the same conversation every day all day. Your headset and free popcorn will be constant companions.

allow employees time to blossom at their job before firing them.

Hard Work Unlimited Growth

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're willing to work hard and keep the customers well-being in mind you will go far in this company. They care more about the goodness of people and the success of their agents and employes then they do about profit. Endless benefits and feeling of being part of the Zillow family has kept me going through even the tough times. The company has changed my life and the life of my three daughters. We are forever grateful for the opportunity. The CEO CFO and all directors of the sales department have their ear to the ground and are open to any suggestions that employees offer. There is no cap on how much even a new salesman can make if he does it the right way.

Cons

If you come into the company and think that being a star sales person is all you need to do you are wrong. Long-term sustainable growth of the customer and of you as a sales person is the only thing that matters. There are no cons for those who are willing to work hard.

I would like to see more opportunities for those who really enjoy teaching less experienced sales people how to excel. It would be nice to see a program that designates weekly lunches with employees who are doing it right and brand-new employees.

Zillow Response

Oct 3, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

This is great feedback for me, for future employees, and for current employees. Thank you for posting this.

The best company I've worked for-Z-OC

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture here is sincerely positive. Support is always there. It's not an easy job by any means but there is a team spirit amongst individual teams as well as the office as a whole. It's fun to come to work everyday. Everyone from the top down in the company knows who you are and is approachable. You know you are a part of something. High energy, music playing, encouragement to succeed. Bonuses, lunches, celebrations, events, oh and the best benefits. It's my pleasure to work at Zillow.

Cons

Not an easy job, lots of calling, lots of highs but some lows. Long days at times.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Awesome Internship Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I could go on and on about so many aspects of Zillow that I loved.

To begin, everyone I met at Zillow was so friendly, welcoming, energetic and fun. In addition, they are some of the most intelligent and charismatic people you will ever meet. I had such a great time talking and working with all of them, that I had a extremely hard time leaving them at the end of my summer internship.

From that, the CEO, Spencer Rascoff, is a fantastic example of the bright minds and personalities found at Zillow. He is inspirational through his talks and the exceptional amount of work he puts into the company. And on top of that he is so approachable, friendly and open with employees about everything that is going on in the company and also always open to feedback to improve the company further.

Next, an aspect about Zillow that really stuck out to me was the great work/life balance they had there. People worked so hard at Zillow but overall everyone at the company understood that the life outside of work can be just as important. They also encouraged physical health through things like company-wide physical fitness competitions and having different sports groups formed by different employees.

Zillow also has such a unique place in the industry too. It is an innovative, unique, and growing company and continues to find new ways to help its users constantly. It is also a great size in terms of establishing itself quite well in the industry but also keeping that more personal and fun startup feel and energy.

Plus the experience and knowledge I gained from the internship was fantastic. I never found myself short of cool new things to work on. Also, the kinds of tasks I worked on varied so much and touched many aspects of the site. Overall I learned so much and loved the way the internship was set up for me by my manager.

Then with perks like free food, the Candy Wall, company trips, ZSpeakers, the location, and the gorgeous Seattle view, my experience at Zillow really was an outstanding.

Cons

I have no complaints. I really loved my experience. The only thing I can think of is that in the first couple of days I had a bit of a tough time ramping up to the kind of work I needed to do. But that will probably always happen at any large company that's been around for a long time and it was my first internship too, so overall I wouldn't really consider that a con of the company.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Zillow Response

Sep 10, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this terrific review of your internship! I am so glad that you had a good experience here.

MyReview

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere/culture. Everyone is nice with no attitude. People work together as a team to solve tough problems. Very rewarding.
    Great work life balance. Schedules are flexible. Good pay and benefits. (stock has been nothing short of amazing) Happily employed here, will work here for some time to come. Would highly recommend to friends, family or anyone to apply here and become a zillow-ite!!

Cons

Commuting to downtown is the biggest drawback for me. But almost all the good jobs are eastside or downtown Seattle. As it turns out, both commutes are not the best. So what is one to do?

Keep on keeping on.

Zillow Response

Sep 7, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback and the review.