Zillow

Updated August 26, 2014

4.1

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called (in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Job I've Ever Had.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plain and simple, it's a great job if you put in the work in. It truly changed my life and taught me the value of hard work. You're working for the largest real estate network online. You're literally working for the biggest thing going in real estate, and it's only getting bigger. The opportunities are what you make of them. It's a phone sales job, so the harder and longer you work, the more you succeed. It's competitive, and it should be competitive cause that motivates you to make the most money both for yourself and the company. As long as you do your work, management allows you to grow and is always there to listen when you need help. All of the people in our office are very supportive and friendly. Great environment. The money is phenomenal and the perks of the job are great- health, vision, dental, free food, and the opportunity to make six figures if, once again, you put the work in. I literally had no past sales experience, struggled a lot at first, but with guidance from everyone, hard work, and determination, I literally went from zero dollars in my bank account to making six figures in the course of about eight months.

Cons

I personally don't have many cons, but it's a very difficult job. It's not for every one. If you're looking for quick easy money, don't show up to Zillow. You need to come in ready and energetic every day. You need to be able to deal with rejection. You need to put in the time and hours. It's not a job where you can slack off or just waste the day. You show up to work, keep pushing, and you'll be rewarded.

Zillow is amazing

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're looking for a company that really cares about culture and happy employees, that's Zillow to a tee. You're working with talented team members who are really passionate about their jobs, and their role in moving Zillow forward.

Cons

I personally have no issues with Zillow, working there is awesome.

One of the fastest growing tech companies

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Snacks, 401k, Gym, Medical, Dental, Great PTO and more importantly great co-workers

Cons

As we continue to grow its becoming increasingly difficult to know who does what.

Do not become too process oriented

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Team Environment

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone in the office is working on a very broad range of products and projects, but it feels like everyone is rowing the same boat. Everyone is working hard trying to build a great experience for both Renters and Property Managers....and trying to get more of both using our sites and services.

Great office culture. Lots of nice perks like Clipper Benefits, lots of free snacks and beverages (big variety), and weekly happy hours.

Cons

Being in a smaller remote office, there can be a bit less room for career advancement. However, this is improving with management's encouragement of cross office/team promotions and an expanding local office with growing teams. In addition, because of the office culture, every one is empowered to make improvements to the company, our websites, and our services. This gives everyone a sense of ownership, which makes working here more enjoyable.

Zillow is a great place to work, for a while.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a long list of positives. Great base salary, strong commission structure if you're a performer, excellent location, nice people, amazing benefits (including stocked snack-kitchen, occasional free lunch catering, company-paid ORCA card, stock options when hired and again upon receiving a good annual review, etc). They start you off with relatively easy sales goals to encourage you. The product works well for some clients. Potential for advancement, if you're a rock-star out of hundreds. Great Monday-through-Friday hours. They've recently announced the purchase of a major competitor, and overall I believe the company's future is bright.

Cons

Price points that change wildly - which often infuriates clients. General disregard for their paying customers (not in what they preach, but in their actions and how you're allowed to work with or help them when things aren't going well - which can be often). When their ad products aren't working, they'll blame the customer, then you. Massive turnover of salespeople - they want the top 20% and are more than willing to churn the bottom 80%. Often-changing (downward) commission structures and ever-increasing minimum requirements, with a constant threat of write-ups and termination. Most who are hired and trained are gone within a few months, few make it to 2 years.

You'll work on a team of about 9-12 fellow salespersons. If you're not top-of-the-top, not just on your team but out of about 200+, don't expect upward mobility. You're held accountable for your cancellation rate, but clients regularly cancel because the product isn't working. Much of your time is spent calling real estate agents who often, literally, tell you how much they hate your company and think it's bad for their industry. You're calling potential customers who've been bombarded by the same calls now for years.

Commission structure with "accelerators" if you're having a good month vs. your goal, but which has devastating "decelerators" if you're not. You can sell a certain dollar amount early in your career and get paid a strong percentage on it, but sell double or triple that a year later and get paid next to nothing because your commission percentage is tied to ever-increasing minimum monthly sales goals. Also, expect a lot of charge-backs. You'll be selling one-year contracts and will be paid on six months of its value. If someone cancels early, you'll be charged back for the cancellation, which is pretty standard in this type of sales. Your goal is to find clients who the product works for, then get them to buy more and more. Strangely, if a client purchases a one-year contract (for which you were paid on the six-month value only), completes it and stays much longer, but eventually ends that contract and buys another - you won't be paid on the new purchase because they canceled the old one. (That's right... even though the customer completed their annual contract, and then some, the company will still punish you if the client drops that territory/contract by not paying you on the new contract you get the client to enter. In other words, if the client books a year contract, completes it, and leaves there is no charge back. However, if they do exactly that and then buy more from you, you don't get paid on the new sale, which is a roundabout way of getting a charge back!). Your goals and commission percentage are based on your "delivered" sales, so too many of these completed-but-eventually-canceled contracts get deducted from your totals and can really hurt. Naturally, the longer you're there the more cancellations you'll have.

There are team Sales Managers who tend to be very nice but do very little sales-managing (depending on which one you work for). Overall, it tends to be a motivation-by-fear environment for the majority, but an amazing place to work if you can consistently (and I do mean consistently) deal with the pressure and produce sales. But don't slip! The longer you're there, the stiffer your requirements become. As your book builds and you end up with hundreds of clients, you'll find yourself doing more and more customer service-related tasks, with far less time to cold call (high volumes of cold-calling are required to keep your business healthy). If you're one of the top three or four guys, they'll hire you an assistant so you can keep selling. If you're not, either your sales or your service may have to suffer. They have no problem firing you and giving the sizable book of business you've grown to the next guy so try to keep the plates spinning! Don't, and you're dead.

You never know, incidentally, what your commission percentage is. It's very difficult (impossible) to look at your sales and figure out how your paycheck is shaping up because of accelerators, decelerators and strange chargeback rules.

Overall, I'd say this place, in the sales department anyway, is the employer version of a Stepford Wife. Really good in many ways, but look out if you start to see a twitch.

They will listen to ideas regarding how to improve the company. I don't believe they will listen to ideas regarding advice to management. That said, they have to do far more to improve their position in the eyes of their paying (and potential) customers, and the industry as a whole. Yes, buyers and sellers like to check Zillow out and, yes, advertisers will want to follow. But don't forget who pays you! You need MLS's and agents just as badly as they need you (more, in fact) and their numbers aren't infinite. A lack of respect for them, starting with telemarketing practices and following through to how we treat those who the product doesn't work for, is harming the long-term health of the company. Make all agents, not just those who pay a lot and find success with your product, feel included and important if you truly want to gain acceptance and, therefore, access. I believe the company places high value on most of its employees outside the sales department. Inside the sales department, you're literally only as good as your sales and call-time yesterday. It can make even a consistent producer feel like they're on the outside looking in. Commit to your sales employees, longevity and otherwise, as strongly as you do your other employees, and as strongly as you want them to commit to you. If huge turn-over in the rest of the company wouldn't be healthy, how can it be healthy in sales?

Once a consultant has proven themselves with you for two years, offer a work-from-home option.

SPENCER: I like my job.I'm an inside sales drone.Salary is stupid low. Really arrogant 2offer with our cost of living.

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is the best in it's industry. Work culture is open, shared desks, loud music &they cater lunch often.
    High energy! Some smart, good people to work with. Nice building & keep drinks & snacks available.
    Healthcare is exceptional.
    Don't expect to make $100,000 until a year and half. Don't believe any different. jon&doug really like to hear themselves talk. $50,000 is about right after taxes. Lots of rhetoric.

Cons

"Fear is good" I agree to a point because it's keeps U pushing yourself. Lots of rhetoric here by management, Truth is, there is VERY high turnover, lots of tears. Corp is disconnected. It's HIGH SCHOOL &clique-ish. Even if U $ell it's never good enough. Very high pressure. Low office moral. Always hiring. Top earners always talk of leaving. Hamster on the wheel. U start with nada. Cold call pitch.Make 200 dials everyday.Micro-managers backstabbing.Threaten U weekly &joke about new hires replacing U.
    TUNE THEM OUT..

I am not a disgruntled employee. I like my job because I accept what it is. I'm an Inside Sales Drone.
    Im liked, I sell & do fairly well. I'm not in any co. trouble. This is just HONESTY. Hopefully Spencer may care about us "little people" like hep tends to. No Xmas party travel. We want $!

Someone else said, Zillow cater meals but U have 2scarf them at your desk! That is true!! Everyone feels this way! Only managers get a true lunch. Lunch& breaks are pretend. I dare U 2take them!!!
    The talk time requirement of 210mins is a poor policy. 2 tell an employee 2arrive earlier & leave later exceeding a 9hr day4more phone mins is 2much 2 ask when you pay only $35,000.
    BE concerned with sales performance, client reviews & positive attitude and ethic.
    Of course someone from Zillow will respond with BS but this is a very popular opinion.

Transparent, competitive, and fun!!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with Zillow for a couple months and could not be happier I made the decision to leave my management job for a sales position. I was reading these reviews not to long ago and was nervous to take the Inside Sales Position. IT IS A HARD JOB but if you can work hard for 8 hours and you have some sales capability Zillow will make you a lot of money! They make coming to work fun and exciting through contests and an unlimited kitchen! I am grateful for Zillow and would only recommend this job to top salesmen/women. If you think you are the best this is the place for you!

Cons

Well the only con I can think of at this point is only a "con" if you don't like to work hard! You will be pushed hard and held to the expectations they set on the first phone interview.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Very talented coworkers
    * A lot of opportunities to build new and fascinating products and data
    * Great environment
    * There are career opportunities in the traditional roles, not so much in others

Cons

* Very limited intra-team communication, some teams treat their areas as silos
    * Expertise of some employees not utilized to its fullest, leaving some very smart people wondering

* Figure out a way for teams to communicate better and make the transparency exhibited at the highest managerial levels trickle down
    * Keep being excellent at the executive level and keep making employees feel part of a winning team

Zillow Response

Jul 21, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Good feedback about intra-team communication. The planning team meetings and the "what's going on" emails are supposed to help with this, but you're right that we could do better at this. Thank you ... More

LOVE.THIS.JOB.

Current Employee - Customer Support Lead  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, the culture, the innovation. There are so many creative and intelligent people here. I feel motivated to do my best each day.

Cons

The only challenge is the growing challenge of communication between teams and departments as the company grows. We're doing ok, but it's something we'll have to stay on top of.

great culture and a great experience working for a company that cares about people!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

great culture, power to people, amazing environment, great co-workers!

Cons

the commute to down town seattle can be hard, working overtime some days to meet metrics.

keep up the great work!

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!