Zillow

Updated September 17, 2014
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called (in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Job I've Ever Had.

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plain and simple, it's a great job if you put in the work in. It truly changed my life and taught me the value of hard work. You're working for the largest real estate network online. You're literally working for the biggest thing going in real estate, and it's only getting bigger. The opportunities are what you make of them. It's a phone sales job, so the harder and longer you work, the more you succeed. It's competitive, and it should be competitive cause that motivates you to make the most money both for yourself and the company. As long as you do your work, management allows you to grow and is always there to listen when you need help. All of the people in our office are very supportive and friendly. Great environment. The money is phenomenal and the perks of the job are great- health, vision, dental, free food, and the opportunity to make six figures if, once again, you put the work in. I literally had no past sales experience, struggled a lot at first, but with guidance from everyone, hard work, and determination, I literally went from zero dollars in my bank account to making six figures in the course of about eight months.

Cons

I personally don't have many cons, but it's a very difficult job. It's not for every one. If you're looking for quick easy money, don't show up to Zillow. You need to come in ready and energetic every day. You need to be able to deal with rejection. You need to put in the time and hours. It's not a job where you can slack off or just waste the day. You show up to work, keep pushing, and you'll be rewarded.

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. I agree with you completely -- Zillow is a great company, and a great place to work. Our sales positions are not easy, but if you are ready to work hard and you have a great ... More

The best company I've worked for-Z-OC

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture here is sincerely positive. Support is always there. It's not an easy job by any means but there is a team spirit amongst individual teams as well as the office as a whole. It's fun to come to work everyday. Everyone from the top down in the company knows who you are and is approachable. You know you are a part of something. High energy, music playing, encouragement to succeed. Bonuses, lunches, celebrations, events, oh and the best benefits. It's my pleasure to work at Zillow.

Cons

Not an easy job, lots of calling, lots of highs but some lows. Long days at times.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Awesome Internship Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I could go on and on about so many aspects of Zillow that I loved.

To begin, everyone I met at Zillow was so friendly, welcoming, energetic and fun. In addition, they are some of the most intelligent and charismatic people you will ever meet. I had such a great time talking and working with all of them, that I had a extremely hard time leaving them at the end of my summer internship.

From that, the CEO, Spencer Rascoff, is a fantastic example of the bright minds and personalities found at Zillow. He is inspirational through his talks and the exceptional amount of work he puts into the company. And on top of that he is so approachable, friendly and open with employees about everything that is going on in the company and also always open to feedback to improve the company further.

Next, an aspect about Zillow that really stuck out to me was the great work/life balance they had there. People worked so hard at Zillow but overall everyone at the company understood that the life outside of work can be just as important. They also encouraged physical health through things like company-wide physical fitness competitions and having different sports groups formed by different employees.

Zillow also has such a unique place in the industry too. It is an innovative, unique, and growing company and continues to find new ways to help its users constantly. It is also a great size in terms of establishing itself quite well in the industry but also keeping that more personal and fun startup feel and energy.

Plus the experience and knowledge I gained from the internship was fantastic. I never found myself short of cool new things to work on. Also, the kinds of tasks I worked on varied so much and touched many aspects of the site. Overall I learned so much and loved the way the internship was set up for me by my manager.

Then with perks like free food, the Candy Wall, company trips, ZSpeakers, the location, and the gorgeous Seattle view, my experience at Zillow really was an outstanding.

Cons

I have no complaints. I really loved my experience. The only thing I can think of is that in the first couple of days I had a bit of a tough time ramping up to the kind of work I needed to do. But that will probably always happen at any large company that's been around for a long time and it was my first internship too, so overall I wouldn't really consider that a con of the company.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Zillow Response

Sep 10, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this terrific review of your internship! I am so glad that you had a good experience here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the fastest growing tech companies

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Snacks, 401k, Gym, Medical, Dental, Great PTO and more importantly great co-workers

Cons

As we continue to grow its becoming increasingly difficult to know who does what.

Do not become too process oriented

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review.
    You're right, that it is getting harder to know who does what. The "zall wall" (our internal employee intranet) has helped me a lot -- it allows me to figure out who does
    ... More

MyReview

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere/culture. Everyone is nice with no attitude. People work together as a team to solve tough problems. Very rewarding.
    Great work life balance. Schedules are flexible. Good pay and benefits. (stock has been nothing short of amazing) Happily employed here, will work here for some time to come. Would highly recommend to friends, family or anyone to apply here and become a zillow-ite!!

Cons

Commuting to downtown is the biggest drawback for me. But almost all the good jobs are eastside or downtown Seattle. As it turns out, both commutes are not the best. So what is one to do?

Keep on keeping on.

Zillow Response

Sep 7, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback and the review.

You better enjoy calling people.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits package. All of your medical is paid for, and they also give you an ORCA card so you can get downtown. Great atmosphere. They keep the kitchen stocked with good food, and you occasionally get free lunch from a catering company. Most of the people there are cool.

Cons

Their turnover rate is super high for inside sales, and they kinda dont like to talk about it. Of the 12 people in my training class, 1/2 of them quit within 2 months. We had a really great trainer, and we also had a really bad trainer. She would shush people like she was putting a niece in check, and I always wondered why none of her superiors ever addressed her on how unprofessional she was.

They do give you free lunches often, but you pretty much eat them at your desk because they really frown on someone actually taking a lunch break. One of my fellow classmates was asked if he was ok because he took a 45 minute lunch once.

They want you to be over 210 minutes on the phone each day which is arbitrary if your making sales. Ive seen and overheard plenty of top sales people barely pick up a phone all day or go over an hour on the phone. They do threaten to take away your inbound calls or emails if you dont meet your time quota, which will ultimately make it harder to make more sales.

Everything is transparent so you can see peoples sales, minutes and call time anytime you want. They want people to be competitive and make that hot sale. Which is the opposite of what the CEO preaches. We were told to respect that we are asking for real estate agents hard earned money, but when they listen to your calls and critique you for not making a one call close, it makes you wonder what really is the quality of the relationship to the customer.

Lastly, taking time off is not the best thing to do. It's highly frowned upon, because if your on vacation your not at your desk making sales. End of the month is especially a big NO NO. If your a top earner....your chances probably improve a little.

They love to say how transparent they are.....but they really aren't. Be more real about your expectations with your incoming class. This job is an emotional roller coaster. When you sell your on a high, and when you ....it feels like a wasted day. If your not selling hot like some of the other salespeople, your gonna be critiqued for one thing or another.

Low salary, high demand, emotional roller coaster. Low moral. Boiler room.

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health benefits. Weekly catered lunches and snacks provided.
    Nice office. After a year you can be considered a veteran because of turn over.

Cons

Job hours are beyond a legal right without overtime. It's a class action suit lawyers dream. Job has high call demand that keeps you late and often beyond a 9-10hr day. Lunch breaks are discouraged. Guilt if you have any appointments or need a break. You feel overworked and over regulated. Not a good job for parents.
    To cry or breakdown is normal.
    Hard to make good money your first year. Top sellers are awarded with a t-shirt or swag. High turn over and most new hires won't last 90 days.
    Management can act childish and quickly decide your fate at the company.

A higher base is necessary for quality people. The style of threats to encourage are elementary tactics. Your talk time requirement keeps employees often longer than legal required hours and is a potential lawsuit. Many sales associates are considering lawsuit and record their hours and are building a case for class action.

Inside Sales Associate

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Z talks, great product, smart hard-working people, catered lunches, cool office, young company, incredible leadership, work hard play hard.

Cons

SLAVE SHIP. glorified telemarketer, preferential treatment for sucking up to the right people, a lack of care for employees. Churn and burn! High turnover rate. No matter how good you are at what you do, you will be treated as if your just a number.

The sales metrics for all offices should be the same. Come up with ways to help sales associates feel less like they are in a cage. Give them the freedom to create their own schedule as long as they are hitting their numbers working their butts off and generating revenue. Really consider management roles and if the people moving into them are up for the task. The right manager for these teams can keep top performers from leaving the company and the wrong managers can ruin the entire company for employees who are passionate about the product and Zillow. Encourage employees to take a five minute walk outside to get fresh air. People will perform better and stay with the company. Prevent burn outs. Performances will increase if they feel they can take a lunch or step away from the phones for just five minutes believe it or not. Set the example that the client matters. Stop letting reps sell horrible zip codes just for the commission only to have an angry client down the road. Stop calling on the same agents who are not and never will be interested. Stop qualifying unqualified real estate agents. Stop letting poor sales representatives get away with lousy work and unethical customer service.

Zillow is amazing

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're looking for a company that really cares about culture and happy employees, that's Zillow to a tee. You're working with talented team members who are really passionate about their jobs, and their role in moving Zillow forward.

Cons

I personally have no issues with Zillow, working there is awesome.

Fantastic.
    Thank you!

Great Team Environment

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone in the office is working on a very broad range of products and projects, but it feels like everyone is rowing the same boat. Everyone is working hard trying to build a great experience for both Renters and Property Managers....and trying to get more of both using our sites and services.

Great office culture. Lots of nice perks like Clipper Benefits, lots of free snacks and beverages (big variety), and weekly happy hours.

Cons

Being in a smaller remote office, there can be a bit less room for career advancement. However, this is improving with management's encouragement of cross office/team promotions and an expanding local office with growing teams. In addition, because of the office culture, every one is empowered to make improvements to the company, our websites, and our services. This gives everyone a sense of ownership, which makes working here more enjoyable.

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. I"m glad you are enjoying your time at Zillow. The SF office is a great office, and I love the fact that it's focused squarely on rentals. It allows everyone there to have a ... More

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!