Zillow Reviews

Reset
4.0
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good for a company that is growing this fast (in 15 reviews)

• Need I say free food and drinks (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

Growing Pains But Overall Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, wonderful working environment. You get everything you need to get the job done. Leadership vision is strong and clearly communicated. Very transparent company. Lots of fun to be had. Benefits are solid.

Cons

Some office politics to navigate in terms of alliances and cliques that can pose hurdles to pushing ideas forward and getting buy-in for projects. Challenging ramp up as processes, knowledge, and data exists in silos across the company and are not accessible efficiently . Developer resources are limited for a company this size, so being scrappy and willing to adjust technical aspects of a project on the fly is crucial to success. Growth is at a crescendo, so company culture is in transition and hasn't regained it's footing. Additionally, as it grows, "old timers" are promoted who have little to no experience managing people. No longer a start up feel, but more a corporate environment creating new barriers to getting things done in innovative ways. Work/life balance is absolutely lip service. Young singles who put in 50/60 hour weeks are recognized often and rise quickly, while those trying to strike a more reasonable approach tread water and are viewed as ineffective.

Advice to Management

Make sure the Core Values are practiced at every level. Too many times I saw teams and individuals trying to meet goals while operating well outside these values with no correction made by management. If "fail fast" is a tenet, then ensure there is room for mistakes without fear.

Aug 13, 2015

Thank you for your feedback, and especially the advice to management. We appreciate and read all of this. - Amy (COO)

Boiler room

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Edmonds, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Edmonds, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks, open culture and if you do well you will make a lot of money. Lots of great people

Cons

Call center where you are hounded constantly for dials and talk time. Definite favoritism in the sales dept some cheaters

Advice to Management

Mid-management is mediocre however upper management is great, Introduction of new products to sell is critical to long term success

Jul 21, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to review your time at Zillow. I run the Inside Sales team at Zillow and hopefully I can address your concerns for your benefit as well as others reading your review ... More

3. It's a satisfying place to work.

Pros

Some of the reasons that makes this a great place to work is having the chance to help others find their dream house while building relationships.

Cons

Not always being able to find the property and price that the client is looking for. Not being able to control the market value of certain locations.

Aug 19, 2015

Thank you for the feedback! - Amy (COO)

Lose talent because of contract roles

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great work life balance, free food occasionally, nice atmosphere, great coworkers.

Cons

I had a great experience at Zillow and echo the great things that have been said about it. One of biggest cons I saw was for the contractors at Zillow. I started on a contract myself and it takes a long time to receive an offer to go full-time at Zillow. I would not deny that the 6 month contract is a great launching place but the lack of healthcare (many staffing companies have crappy or no benefits), the lack of job security, and the uncertainty about getting hired on is tough. Most of the contractors I spoke with shared my opinion. I saw so much great talent leave Zillow and find employment elsewhere after 10+ months because they weren't getting hired on and needed to make more money than the hourly rate that contractors receive after the agency takes a huge cut. Great place to work but if you still have someone on your team after 6+ months, as a manager, you should be pushing to get them hired on. With the rate at which Zillow is hiring, why aren't contractors getting offers?

Advice to Management

Budget in the potential offers you'll extend to contractors instead of citing that as the main reason you haven't gotten an offer after a long time.

Zillow Response

Jun 29, 2015 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

This is great feedback. I haven't focused very much on this issue before, but I will look into it now. Thank you!

Zillow is great!

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Rewards their employees and encourages them constantly. Leads are great at reminding everyone that their hard work is recognized. Colleagues are always willing to help. Always building better processes and platforms.

Cons

Sometimes when there are issues that need to be solved right away you tend to hit a wall. Need more developers to assist with technial errors. Communication internally can be better.

Zillow Response

Jun 22, 2015 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this review. I'm glad you had a good experience at Zillow, and I wish you all the best.

7. Zillow Digs is a great place to start out.

Current Contractor - Design Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Design Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly entry or student level, competitive pay, flexible hours and remote work - it really is a great place to start as a designer.

Cons

There is sometimes a lack of communication and collaboration, and there is little room for professional growth. Limited benefits. But in a contract position, you know that going in.

Advice to Management

None - my hopes and expectations have been met. Supervisors are supportive. Mostly, I'd love to see more room for employee growth.

Zillow Response

Jun 5, 2015 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Great feedback. Thank you for your work on Digs, which is such a fun product. In fact, I was just using it this morning on iOS.

Z Customer Support team

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-lots of food -open to asks questions -team bonding events -Spencer is cool

Cons

felt like I was in high school again. I also noticed a trend of them getting rid of all the colored people. Felt like I was being harassed weekly by my team lead!

Advice to Management

Don't pretend to care, show favorites and pretend to be open to questions when you know u don't want to be asked anything!

Zillow Response

May 25, 2015 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for saying I am cool - I appreciate that. But the rest of what you wrote is very concerning and upsetting to me. We have many talented people at Zillow from all different ethnic ... More

Great Company!

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feel like you are a part of a team while still having the ability to work autonomously. Great leadership and explosive growth.

Cons

Communication from management can be lacking at time. With extreme growth, the unknown can seem common.

Advice to Management

Follow through on new hire orientation. Continue to implement processes to keep things on track. Offer more time to listen to concerns from employees.

Zillow Response

Mar 25, 2015 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that our new employee onboarding could improve. We have made great strides here, but it can always be better -- especially beyond the first few days. We have ... More

10. Work is interesting, people are nice, hours are reasonable.

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun product, people are nice.

Cons

There isn't anything in particular I dislike.

Yes, it is a great company, but the treatment of some employees is troubling and very disturbing.

Pros

The perks are great. An environment that is enviable to most.

Cons

Upper management seems adamant about providing the best work environment for their employees and has put forth much time and energy into this matter. However, the reality of the situation doesn't match their assurances. For an employee to be publicly chastised with vulgar language is over the top -- especially when the situation does not warrant any kind of rebuke. It's understood that brilliant minds work at Zillow, but that doesn't automatically make them manager material.

Advice to Management

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. It's the honorable thing to do.

Zillow Response

Apr 10, 2015 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi, Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately it's too vague for me to do much about. I don't tolerate an environment like the one you describe here. If possible, please let me or someone in HR ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed