Zillow

Updated September 17, 2014
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called (in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Transparent, competitive, and fun!!

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with Zillow for a couple months and could not be happier I made the decision to leave my management job for a sales position. I was reading these reviews not to long ago and was nervous to take the Inside Sales Position. IT IS A HARD JOB but if you can work hard for 8 hours and you have some sales capability Zillow will make you a lot of money! They make coming to work fun and exciting through contests and an unlimited kitchen! I am grateful for Zillow and would only recommend this job to top salesmen/women. If you think you are the best this is the place for you!

Cons

Well the only con I can think of at this point is only a "con" if you don't like to work hard! You will be pushed hard and held to the expectations they set on the first phone interview.

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I'm glad you decided to come to Zillow!
    Yes, sales can be hard at Zillow (and anywhere) but as you say, if you work hard, you can do great.
    Thank you for your contributions to Zillow.

Zillow is a great place to work, for a while.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a long list of positives. Great base salary, strong commission structure if you're a performer, excellent location, nice people, amazing benefits (including stocked snack-kitchen, occasional free lunch catering, company-paid ORCA card, stock options when hired and again upon receiving a good annual review, etc). They start you off with relatively easy sales goals to encourage you. The product works well for some clients. Potential for advancement, if you're a rock-star out of hundreds. Great Monday-through-Friday hours. They've recently announced the purchase of a major competitor, and overall I believe the company's future is bright.

Cons

Price points that change wildly - which often infuriates clients. General disregard for their paying customers (not in what they preach, but in their actions and how you're allowed to work with or help them when things aren't going well - which can be often). When their ad products aren't working, they'll blame the customer, then you. Massive turnover of salespeople - they want the top 20% and are more than willing to churn the bottom 80%. Often-changing (downward) commission structures and ever-increasing minimum requirements, with a constant threat of write-ups and termination. Most who are hired and trained are gone within a few months, few make it to 2 years.

You'll work on a team of about 9-12 fellow salespersons. If you're not top-of-the-top, not just on your team but out of about 200+, don't expect upward mobility. You're held accountable for your cancellation rate, but clients regularly cancel because the product isn't working. Much of your time is spent calling real estate agents who often, literally, tell you how much they hate your company and think it's bad for their industry. You're calling potential customers who've been bombarded by the same calls now for years.

Commission structure with "accelerators" if you're having a good month vs. your goal, but which has devastating "decelerators" if you're not. You can sell a certain dollar amount early in your career and get paid a strong percentage on it, but sell double or triple that a year later and get paid next to nothing because your commission percentage is tied to ever-increasing minimum monthly sales goals. Also, expect a lot of charge-backs. You'll be selling one-year contracts and will be paid on six months of its value. If someone cancels early, you'll be charged back for the cancellation, which is pretty standard in this type of sales. Your goal is to find clients who the product works for, then get them to buy more and more. Strangely, if a client purchases a one-year contract (for which you were paid on the six-month value only), completes it and stays much longer, but eventually ends that contract and buys another - you won't be paid on the new purchase because they canceled the old one. (That's right... even though the customer completed their annual contract, and then some, the company will still punish you if the client drops that territory/contract by not paying you on the new contract you get the client to enter. In other words, if the client books a year contract, completes it, and leaves there is no charge back. However, if they do exactly that and then buy more from you, you don't get paid on the new sale, which is a roundabout way of getting a charge back!). Your goals and commission percentage are based on your "delivered" sales, so too many of these completed-but-eventually-canceled contracts get deducted from your totals and can really hurt. Naturally, the longer you're there the more cancellations you'll have.

There are team Sales Managers who tend to be very nice but do very little sales-managing (depending on which one you work for). Overall, it tends to be a motivation-by-fear environment for the majority, but an amazing place to work if you can consistently (and I do mean consistently) deal with the pressure and produce sales. But don't slip! The longer you're there, the stiffer your requirements become. As your book builds and you end up with hundreds of clients, you'll find yourself doing more and more customer service-related tasks, with far less time to cold call (high volumes of cold-calling are required to keep your business healthy). If you're one of the top three or four guys, they'll hire you an assistant so you can keep selling. If you're not, either your sales or your service may have to suffer. They have no problem firing you and giving the sizable book of business you've grown to the next guy so try to keep the plates spinning! Don't, and you're dead.

You never know, incidentally, what your commission percentage is. It's very difficult (impossible) to look at your sales and figure out how your paycheck is shaping up because of accelerators, decelerators and strange chargeback rules.

Overall, I'd say this place, in the sales department anyway, is the employer version of a Stepford Wife. Really good in many ways, but look out if you start to see a twitch.

They will listen to ideas regarding how to improve the company. I don't believe they will listen to ideas regarding advice to management. That said, they have to do far more to improve their position in the eyes of their paying (and potential) customers, and the industry as a whole. Yes, buyers and sellers like to check Zillow out and, yes, advertisers will want to follow. But don't forget who pays you! You need MLS's and agents just as badly as they need you (more, in fact) and their numbers aren't infinite. A lack of respect for them, starting with telemarketing practices and following through to how we treat those who the product doesn't work for, is harming the long-term health of the company. Make all agents, not just those who pay a lot and find success with your product, feel included and important if you truly want to gain acceptance and, therefore, access. I believe the company places high value on most of its employees outside the sales department. Inside the sales department, you're literally only as good as your sales and call-time yesterday. It can make even a consistent producer feel like they're on the outside looking in. Commit to your sales employees, longevity and otherwise, as strongly as you do your other employees, and as strongly as you want them to commit to you. If huge turn-over in the rest of the company wouldn't be healthy, how can it be healthy in sales?

Once a consultant has proven themselves with you for two years, offer a work-from-home option.

LOVE.THIS.JOB.

Current Employee - Customer Support Lead  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, the culture, the innovation. There are so many creative and intelligent people here. I feel motivated to do my best each day.

Cons

The only challenge is the growing challenge of communication between teams and departments as the company grows. We're doing ok, but it's something we'll have to stay on top of.

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I definitely agree that staying on top of cross-team communication is a priority as we are getting bigger.
    Thank you for taking care of our users -- customer support is so important. We spend so
    ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great culture and a great experience working for a company that cares about people!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

great culture, power to people, amazing environment, great co-workers!

Cons

the commute to down town seattle can be hard, working overtime some days to meet metrics.

keep up the great work!

Thank you!

Horrible place to work

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

free monsters snacks and food

Cons

15 hour days, massive pressure to be on the phone 4 hours a day, no training around objections, crazy office politics

maybe throwing as much crap against the wall and seeing what sticks should give way to a training program

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Very talented coworkers
    * A lot of opportunities to build new and fascinating products and data
    * Great environment
    * There are career opportunities in the traditional roles, not so much in others

Cons

* Very limited intra-team communication, some teams treat their areas as silos
    * Expertise of some employees not utilized to its fullest, leaving some very smart people wondering

* Figure out a way for teams to communicate better and make the transparency exhibited at the highest managerial levels trickle down
    * Keep being excellent at the executive level and keep making employees feel part of a winning team

Jul 21, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Good feedback about intra-team communication. The planning team meetings and the "what's going on" emails are supposed to help with this, but you're right that we could do better at this. Thank you ... More

Exhilarating

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love my job, plain and simple. I created my own book of business from scratch and it's a living and breathing entity that I enjoy taking care of and expanding. The people are great. In fact I've met most of my best friends @Z and I've only been a sales rep for 8 mo. The culture is dynamic the vibe is fast paced and rewarding. The opportunity, with hard work, is seemingly endless; i.e. Uncapped commissions. I pay more in taxes than I made at my previous sales job that I thought I liked until becoming a 'Zillowite'

Cons

Work your butt off for the first 6 months and you'll not only more confident in your own life and skills but your own sense of self worth will skyrocket. Wait that's not a con.... No cons just be prepared to work hard and play hard.

Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for the opportunity and don't raise quotas or decrease commission whilst the product becomes more of a household name and easier to sell. :)

Zillow Response

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you thank you!

This was a great place to grow and learn.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I started at Zillow OC we had a small group , maybe 20 of us and we had the opportunity to meet some of the senior Management on a more personal level, the pioneers of the company. The CEO, CRO and both VP of Sales were all very hands on to make sure this venture of their amazing company was a success. The 3 original managers took all the things that made the sales floor in Seattle successful and implemented them in OC, and they were determined to make sure the OC was the best sales floor in the company. OC changed the standards and became better ten expected and I have nothing but the highest respect for how this was done. I got to learn the real estate industry from a perspective that I never knew existed and I get to use in my new career and for that I am forever grateful. Thank you for the time you invested and for the work you have all put in. If you listen and follow you will succeed, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel their system works, and ask for help if you struggle, they will help you and will take care of you, if you give them 100% you will succeed.

Cons

This job can be discouraging to a new rep watching the veterans who have a book of business that provide them more sales and more referrals, but everyone was at one point in the same spot. And there are some reps that are always negative and truly believe there is a conspiracy and can be a cancer to others.

Sell with your reps show them the ways it gets done! lead by example pull the team with you do not push them , you may push them away.

Jul 21, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback.
    I love visiting the Irvine office, which I do every few weeks. Greg (our CRO) also visits regularly. The team there is so fired up about Zillow's success.

Incredible

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've blossomed so quickly with everything they've provided. My career has been able to expand very quickly with the incredible environment Zillow has brought to the industry.

Cons

While not the highest compensation in the industry this is hardly a con. They understand how to make a job fun.

Jul 21, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback. It's so important that we keep engineers fired up about Zillow. As you know, we try to keep our product teams small so that engineers and testers can have a lot of ... More

Wonderful, progressive workplace

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Great environment and culture
    * Company fosters individual growth
    * Lots of perks and morale events
    * Z-speaker series! We've had Arianna Huffington and Vicente Fox come give talks, for example
    * Transparency
    * Free snacks, free lunches at the end of the month and on days where there are events
    * Great work/life balance
    * Fair, competitive compensation for engineers
    * Engineering teams are committed to moving forward and fixing issues with both code and process, rather than band-aiding things

Cons

* Growing rapidly, which is great, but things do change a lot and sometimes it takes a while to catch up to them
    * Snacks rotate too frequently. Don't get too attached to anything, because it might be gone the next month.
    * Lots of domain knowledge required to move through the code base very effectively. This can be a little bit intimidating for new hires, and can extend ramp-up to several months if your work touches multiple areas on the site. Don't feel intimidate to ask someone, though, because we've all been through it, fully understand, and are working to improve it.

* Monetary bonuses based on seniority rather than gift bonuses in December
    * Perhaps fewer all-hands meetings? It's great to learn what's going on in the company, but sometimes they're just a few weeks apart, and they can be little redundant.
    * Bring back the popcorn

Jul 21, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback. I've passed along your popcorn request to zfacilities! Glad you're having fun here. Me too.

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!