Zillow Reviews

Updated April 13, 2015
268 reviews filtered by

Inside Sales Consultant...Great company, you can make a difference, and make good $

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Having a base salary in sales gives you the safety net that you need but I'm pretty sure it is below living wage so if you don't hit quota one month you are in a pickle if you aren't saving. Luckily, they just started 401k and financial advising sessions so there are tons of resources easily accessible to you. If you are good and work hard, you can expect ~$100k in your first year after bonuses and commission are factored in.

If you keep your head down and work harder than anyone in your training class it will pay off. Maybe not right away, but a few months later it will. Going along with this, if you are honest, care about people, and always do what is right, it pays off. If you are not, you will not last long.The trust instilled in you by management, trainers and your teammates does take some time to build but it is awesome when you get it. With any sales job, there are really high highs and really low lows. What matters is how you handle yourself on both ends of the spectrum and if you are consistent. Nobody likes the crazy hormonal sales person!

If you tell your manager that you want to help train new hires on your team or be a mentor, they will make it happen, you just need to be vocal about your goals for your career at Zillow . If you want to be more involved, say something. There are lots of great groups at Zillow you can become a part of, it just takes a little bit of time to get adjusted.

When it comes to benefits, hands down best benefits package around. Healthcare is amazing.Only request would be for folks doing inside sales to have the ability to work from home, or maybe give a flexible vacation policy. The already existing one is great, but hey, there's always room for improvement. Lots of catered lunches and happy hours. Culture is definitely very fun .

Cons

Base salaries have dropped over the past few years and they aren't very consistent. Raises are very small in sales...maybe $500 a year. Most people leave before they even have the opportunity to be promoted to a special team. With that being said, a lot of people give up too easily in sales..as in they don't view Zillow as a career, they view it as a quick gig.

Also, there are some people out there that cheat the system ....one top rep who is always around $100k in sales higher than anyone else but is rumored to have MLS keys and people who have previously worked with this individual said they cheated in their last job. Its nice that there is a monthly ranking of more than just sales ...cancelation rate, surveys, etc...and this individual is not consistently #1. At least management isn't necessarily rewarding bad behavior.

There are some sales managers that literally just sit on Twitter all day and never call angry clients back as they are promised. Yes, you may have been at Zillow for 4+ years but you're getting paid to empower your team, not be lazy!

Advice to Management

More transparency on how our commissions are paid would be amazing. In training they mention it, but by the time you actually know the product you are selling you forgot about that completely. Also, if people aren't meeting their quota consistently, instead of firing them, maybe they can be considered for another job at Zillow since a sales position has so many transferrable skills.

When it comes to Spencer the CEO, keep up the great work. We all love your honesty and openness. He pretty much responds to every email within 5 minutes and allows you to text him questions during the all staff meetings. For upper level management, we are in great hands. Lower level management needs to be tweaked .

Mar 20, 2015

Thanks for the very thoughtful and thorough review.

It seems like you have an excellent grasp of what it takes to be successful at Zillow and that, for the most part, you like the environment in
    ... More

Yes, it is a great company, but the treatment of some employees is troubling and very disturbing.

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

The perks are great. An environment that is enviable to most.

Cons

Upper management seems adamant about providing the best work environment for their employees and has put forth much time and energy into this matter. However, the reality of the situation doesn't match their assurances. For an employee to be publicly chastised with vulgar language is over the top -- especially when the situation does not warrant any kind of rebuke. It's understood that brilliant minds work at Zillow, but that doesn't automatically make them manager material.

Advice to Management

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. It's the honorable thing to do.

Zillow Response

Apr 10, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately it's too vague for me to do much about. I don't tolerate an environment like the one you describe here. If possible, please let me or someone in HR

3. Inside Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked snacks, happy hours, amazing benefits, fun atmosphere

Cons

If you're not "in the club" with the right managers, life is extremely difficult. Play the games & befriend everybody quickly.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the inappropriate middle managers - upper level management is 2nd to none

Mar 19, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and sorry you feel the experience on our OC sales team wasn’t positive – we’ve worked hard to build a sales culture in Orange County that rewards those who ... More

Well, that happened.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with some of the best and most dedicated individuals I've ever met. These are also the same people that are slowly being driven away by divisive middle management and a toxic environment. While I greatly enjoyed some of my time there, I do feel that working there stunted my professional growth due to inner department politics and ineffective middle management.

Cons

No clear career path
    Ineffective middle management
    The most backbiting atmosphere I've ever worked in ( Sales and Ops are pretty much at war with each other every single day )
    The level of compensation is well below local and national average.
    Year and a half with no review or salary increase. Was told "Well that's just how it is sometimes" by Senior HR staff.
    Sudden surge of growth in last 15 months has created a production line atmosphere

Advice to Management

Attempt to make sure that the culture that you speak of and tell the world about is in place. Once you're inside the org, the core you preach values rarely matter. That said in speaking with Spencer and other senior executives, I truly believe they care, but do not really have the visibility regarding the day to day operations.

Zillow Response

Mar 17, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    Spencer here. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your Zillow experience more. It sounds like maybe there is some stuff going on in your group (I'm guessing Display Sales?) which I need to dig into, and
    ... More

6. Typical Tech Company. San Francisco office is nice, but doesn't get quite the recognition that the Seattle office does.

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Great leadership and positive momentum from upper management. The pay is decent. Mostly stress free environment (at least for engineering). Management is fairly lenient about taking time off during the day and working from home (for now at least). Stock options are generous. Finally did 401k matching. Kudos. We appreciate you all changing your mind about that.

Cons

San Francisco office management feels distant and almost lacking direction. I attribute that to the Trulia acquisition where hopefully the misfits of Zillow San Francisco can feel like they are part of the group once that comes into play.

The San Francisco office is mostly a a tech centric office that isn't as vibrant as other offices. Don't get me wrong, I'm a quiet egghead myself, but it can be a little drab with lack of other personalities.

The bathroom. It's nasty and we have to walk a city block to get to it. Thankfully we are moving soon.

Advice to Management

Find a way to bring the excitement of Seattle to your satellite offices.

Zillow Response

Mar 17, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    I appreciate the feedback. The Zillow SF office is moving into the Trulia space in a few weeks (hopefully by end of March) which I think will help a lot with the issues you are concerned about
    ... More

Zillow is an excellent company to work for and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

- Awesome People
    - Collaborative Environment
    - Food Perks
    - Happy Hours
    - Pet (Dog) Friendly "Never really seen anyone bring a cat to work?"

Cons

The misconception from agents that we are trying to take over the industry.

Advice to Management

Stay quick and nimble. Be clear on employee career path.

Better than I ever could have imagined...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was super nervous when this acquisition between Mortech/Zillow went down but this seriously has to be one of the best places to work in country, let alone Lincoln NE.

Perks Include:
    Game Rooms (Ping Pong, Shuffleboard, Video Games, Golf, Basketball)
    Catered Lunches (Every Wednesday and special occasions)
    Free snacks/drinks
    Laid Back Work Atmosphere (tunes playing through Sonos speakers all day)
    Great Benefits
    Work Outings that are really fun
    Great People
    Opportunity 2X a year to work on whatever you want to improve company/product
    Casual Dress Code
    Encouraged to email anyone from manager to CEO with anything you need

Cons

I'd love to see more accountability between departments, too many issues turn into a "he said she said" type conversations that can get frustrating not only to employees but our customers.

Advice to Management

Zillow seems to still be under the radar a bit in the Lincoln community , we need to continue to get the word out about how great this place is which will result in deeper talent pools for open positions.

Feb 4, 2015VP, Mortgages

I can understand why many folks were worried about the acquisition when it originally happened, but I'm so glad you are really happy with where we ended up together. Zillow's mortgages business is ... More

Great job, but perhaps not a long-term one

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, the people are smart and nice, good culture, good pay, amazing benefits... it's all here. The company's future is bright, and Spencer Rascoff, the CEO, is not only brilliant, he's genuine and kind.

Cons

If you're in the sales department, bring your "A" game or you'll be gone quick. They start you out with relatively easy goals, but they rise to such a high level over time that you may feel punished for your successes, and they are not forgiving. Your commissions have decelerators that are tied to these increasing goals, so it feels like the potential for a pay cut every six months or so. I was wildly successful there, but quit anyway because of the constant pressure. Miss your goal two months in a row, no matter the reason, and you'll be walked out. Also - advancement isn't impossible, but highly unlikely and there's no clear path. You can kill it month in and month out yet never be considered.

Advice to Management

High standards for salespeople are good; treating seasoned, successful veterans the way you might treat new people on probation is not if your goal is to build longstanding, deep client relationships. Agents who the product works for tend to fall in love with their Account Executives over time (and vice-versa if it's a good AE). Work just as hard to keep your sales folks happy as you do your tech talent. People will work harder, for less money, if they feel deeply valued - not just on a "what have you done for me today" level, but in a long-term sorta way.

Feb 12, 2015

Thanks for giving us your feedback.

I run the Inside Sales department and wanted to address your concerns.

I think you're right in that this is a challenging job that does require that a person

Transparent - Check... Collaborative-Not Checked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Executive Management at Zillow is top notch! They are transparent .. Yes, that word gets thrown around a lot at Zillow (along with adding the letter "z" to everything), but it's true. Between litigation, acquisitions, and general company information, Spencer Rascoff trusts his employees enough to tell the truth (and I guess since I call it "the truth", I must believe him)

Every time I have met Spencer, and more recently Rich (co founder), I get the feeling like they believe in what we do (Power to the People) and want everyone to be productive and happy to work at Zillow.

The perks are pretty great! Lots of food... maybe we should call it the "Zillow Zixteen" for the weight you could gain after you start working there!

Cons

When coworkers look you in the eye and use words like "Zall", "Zpal", "ZWiki", "Zestimate", "Znacks"... well, it's hard not to imagine being in the Smurf Village with Papa Smurf telling you that you are being let go because you are "not the Smurfow Way". At first it is really odd, but everyone drinks the Zool-Aid eventually (too much?)

In all honesty, Zillow has a very youthful culture (if that's a negative for you). It can also sometimes seem clique-ish (lots of unexplained inside jokes, giggles abound from IMs), making it a little difficult for some people to find their place or feel like they fit.

Advice to Management

I have lots... but the great thing about Zillow is that I can just go call and tell them directly. :)

Zillow Response

Feb 13, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I guess that makes me Papa Smurf! :)
    Thank you for the great review. I'm glad you are enjoying your time at Zillow, and I thank you for your contributions.

Pretty great place. Some growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

The exec team tries very hard to make employees feel empowered + part of something broader. The company is on track to do phenomenal things. People who work here are smart, motivated and certain teams have incredible cohesion (especially dev teams).

Cons

It can be cliquish within depts/teams -- I.e. certain people manage all forward-facing projects. Immediate management is not always great -- further trainings and support for managers should be provided in teaching them how to encourage great work from their reports. Some work-life practices should be instilled within departments --
    Particularly encouragement to take a sick day rather than WFH, regular lunch breaks, etc. This sort of balance needs to be modeled by immediate managers to create a trickle-down effect of a better environment for all.

Advice to Management

Better manager training -- it's clear some managers have never managed a team and teaching them how to best support and value to lower level employees would really take Z to the next level. (a lot of creativity inc's management practices could be applied here!)

Zillow Response

Feb 5, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review and the feedback. I definitely agree that we could do a better job of manager training, and this is something that we are working on. Corina (and the whole Learning ... More