Zillow

Zillow Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff

Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called (in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work. Lincoln Ne office.

Customer Support (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsMy spouse and I have been employed in the Lincoln office for 1.5 and 2 years. The transparency of the chain of command is superb. The ability to chat with the CEO, VP, etc in a manner that makes you feel like you are all in the trenches together is a value beyond comparison. Our office gives us the tools we need to hit the ground running and use our personal work ethic to exceed as far as we want. The positive outlook by upper management Is a refreshing and recharging output of energy. I personally work with our colleauges in Seattle quite often and the synergy between offices is getting stronger each day. The flexibility offered is unmatched, from time off for my significant other for the birth of our children to flexibility for the both of us for kids appointments. I was very impressed of the flexibilty and support I received after a weight lifting accident left me temporarily disabled. You just can't beat the culture, synergy and family focus. My office truly encompasses the "skys the limit" mentality if you are willing to work for what you want.

ConsWith any merger there are growing pains, however in the past year and a half I have seen great relationship building and information passed all around to all offices. With various heads of the company, along with random people from various departments visiting monthly, you just can't ask for any more open communication than that. I forsee our office as well as other offices changing for the better every day as our brand continues to be a champion in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the path. It is working well. Lincoln office, you are doing a great job of keeping the focus of our department and office at the forefront. Seattle, you are doing an excellent job at knocking out all of our annual goals and the synergy between us on mutual goals is almost on a Jordan/Pippen level. Spencer......You just keep being you!

Exciting ride with invaluable experience...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsI enjoy the transparency that our company offers. This starts at the top and is consistent across upper management. Regardless of which office you are located in, the cultural perks tend to follow with each locations special flavor. Being a division of Zillow in Lincoln still allows us to operate independently and focus on our core strengths but also opens the door for collaboration with different offices for new ideas, guidance or assistance on products and cross office mentoring. It is great to work for a company that continues to be disruptive in an industry that is long overdue for innovation.

ConsMost of my cons working at Zillow are related to the constant motion of internal systems and processes. I understand the need to transition systems, especially when the company is in rapid growth mode but at times it is a challenge to operate efficiently and not be distracted by a new policy or procedure that has been implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to continue making decisions for long term company growth and employee satisfaction and not shift towards a short term profitability model. The acquisition experience after a year and a half has been very positive and hope it continues. I love working for this organization and excited each day to see what new challenges can be overcome. A saying that is often repeated is, "Winning is fun and we are winning!"

It's a cool place to work but they tend to keep deadweights around too long.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsStart up vibe, free food and drinks and transparency. The CEO is pretty energetic and cares about employees.

ConsMortech training team sucks, they don't work and they are disorganized. Too many rules but It's probably because we are a Public Company and have to comply with all these regulations that all Public Companies have to follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the training team from top to bottom. Maybe have more "Hire Slow, Fire fast" mentality for managers to keep out the deadweights.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place I've ever been employed

Program Manager (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsThe work environment and benefits are fantastic. I feel like the leadership at the top has a clear direction and can feel that when they speak. Though they are at the top of the real estate game, you can tell the company wants more and are not satisfied staying where they are at.

ConsIt's competitive and they want the best talent....possibly overlooking some people in interviews. But overall it's great.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pressing forward to become better than we are. We're on to great things.

Love it - great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere is a ton of energy, excitement, and passion around the products we are building to empower consumers. It is also very fun to be part of a growing company. The executive team is extremely talented and open which creates a transparent and collaborative environment. There is still a start up feel with small product teams and big responsibilities.

I love the people, the culture, and the amazing views.

ConsThe candy wall is a daily temptation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

love working here - great people and great culture

Economics Intern (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI love working at here. People are talented and have good balance of work and life. Upper management are great, friendly, and responsive.

ConsThere is not a large enough lunch area and most time you have to eat at your desk unless you dine out.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the product and keep the leading position in the industry

I feel lucky I get to work here.

Development Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmart people, unlimited problems to solve, ability to innovate quickly and test new ideas. You are encouraged to think and go big instead of simply iteration on the existing product. The work life balance is very good for a company that is growing this fast.

ConsThe development effort moves fast and spec light so if you want a detailed spec to code to this isn't your company.

Doing your best is not enough..

Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat company , lots of growth opportunity's for the right people,
    Casual dress code, great job all around as long as you work hard. Good money can be made. Loved helping Real Estate Agents in changing their lives for the better by driving new business their way. You go home feeling great about what you did for others. Sure you work hard make allot of calls but the rewards are worth it and the work you put into it. They treat you with wonderful incentives like free lunches, snacks, drinks, great company rallies, and motivate you to be your best.

ConsEven if you are making your quota, call time and have a great retention rate with your clients, its not enough to keep your job. I really loved my job, but if you upset the wrong manager you are gone, I watched this manager let go great people with great potential over the fact the manager just did not like the person, its a well known fact and spoke about often. If you kiss butt and make that manager feel good about themselves you are golden, If you come in do your job and do not wish to participate in being a cheerleader, then walk away now. I was in extreme fear if I brought this up I would have lost my job. Instead I put my head down and did my job. I took pride in my job, loved my agents and excited about what Zillow's future had for all of us. Upper management may or may not be aware of this, a real shame if they do. I would have stayed with this company forever and continued to exceed my numbers and help the company grow. Knowing that one persons opinion of you can change your whole life is extremely sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the managers turn over. Question why sales people who are exceeding goals were really let go, look at the big picture with the situation and see if there reasoning makes true sense. Your loosing great people who love their job, who want to be there, and would excel under better management.

Zillow Response

May 15, 2014

I am really sorry to hear your impression of our work environment and decision making process.

Decisions like the one you referenced are made with full consensus of the sales management team. We
    ... More

Disappointing Career Choice

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsZillow is a GREAT product for both an agent and the consumer. Exceptional sales team, casual attire, benefits, beautiful location.

ConsThere is no work-life balance. You are informed last minute that you must show up to a "roll out" the next morning extremely early. They offer great lunches but that is because you take your food back to your desk to scarf it down and get back on the phone. You do have great benefits but never have time to use them as you cannot leave your desk. Extreme micromanagement. The VP will email you at noon if your call time is not up to par as it is not the "Zillow Way". Great glorified telemarketing position for an individual with little education and relatively no sales experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat a shame to hire such talented people and have a management team run them out. Need to hire managers with people skills and management experience.

Zillow Response

May 15, 2014

I am disappointed to read that your experience at Zillow hasn't been as good as you'd like it to be.

It is up to the sales person to manage their day and therefore their work life balance. I think
    ... More

Heres what its REALLY like working as a sales rep at Zillow

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsSo the culture, benefits package, commission structure perks are great. A co-worker put it best "You get to be yourself here".

If anyone gets me going about my job I usually can't stop talking for 20 minutes. Most people eventually respond with "It almost sounds like you're making it up".

The management treats the employees with respect and have all done your job before, so the advice/help/coaching all comes from experience and they are super supportive. This place is truly amazing and you do get to be a part of a company that is consistently breaking records and winning month after month. The culture values doing the right thing, enriching the lives of the employees and clients we work with and nobody (Sales or management) is above this "no jerks, support your coworkers" culture all the way up to the top.

ConsThis job isn't for everybody. The people who shine are VERY competitive and driven, and put 100% into their work EVERY day. You have to really WANT this to be here. You don't have to put in more than 40-50 hours, but you do need to work HARD and keep a cheetah pace. If you want the payoff, you need to spend all your time on the phone. (It's like they expect you to work hard to make a lot of money, what a concept right?!?)
    This is a DREAM job if you are willing to put in the work, but there are no shortcuts to being successful in this position and people who can't stay focused on the long term career picture and get stuck in the day to day grind may find it difficult to keep pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe highest compliment I can give is this I care deeply for the well being of this company; the name, and the reputation, and that I am Zillow to the agents I get to work with. I feel that way because of the treatment, respect and guidance I have received from management. Keep it up guys!

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!