Zillow

Updated September 17, 2014
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called (in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Exhilarating

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love my job, plain and simple. I created my own book of business from scratch and it's a living and breathing entity that I enjoy taking care of and expanding. The people are great. In fact I've met most of my best friends @Z and I've only been a sales rep for 8 mo. The culture is dynamic the vibe is fast paced and rewarding. The opportunity, with hard work, is seemingly endless; i.e. Uncapped commissions. I pay more in taxes than I made at my previous sales job that I thought I liked until becoming a 'Zillowite'

Cons

Work your butt off for the first 6 months and you'll not only more confident in your own life and skills but your own sense of self worth will skyrocket. Wait that's not a con.... No cons just be prepared to work hard and play hard.

Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for the opportunity and don't raise quotas or decrease commission whilst the product becomes more of a household name and easier to sell. :)

Thank you thank you!

Love going to work every day!

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Projects move fast, and things get done. There is no bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo. The people are awesome - intelligent, driven, fun, and instinctively collaborative - literally every person in this building would give you a hand if you needed help without a second's hesitation. In terms of career development, IT'S AMAZING! I've been here just 6 months and have already had so many opportunities to lead projects. Additionally, being surrounded by ambitious, excited "do-ers" is inspiring and is a daily push for me to prove what else I can do. It has been a pretty phenomenal journey thus far, and it attributes to why I love coming into work every day.

Cons

Zillow is growing like crazy, so there are new faces every week. Sometimes it's hard to keep up! And because Zillow is growing so quickly, sometimes the resources can't keep pace. You encounter the occasional growing pain, or what I like to call the 'awkward puppy' moments (you know, when a puppy appears to be quite a big dog but still has huge paws relative to its body size and is a bit clumsy). The expenses system when I first started is a good example, but it's better now. For me, these are insignificant details when it comes to my overall job satisfaction.

Keep it up - you're doing great. :)

Zillow Response

Jun 9, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great feedback. I'm so glad that you are having a good experience here.
    I definitely agree that as the company grows, we need to make sure that some "back-office" things keep

An amazing 5 months

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

What's better than a job that provides 3 weeks of vacation? A job that provides 3 weeks of vacation, plus 2 'hackweeks' in the year, where you get to team up with anyone else and let your creativity run wild. (I'd even trade one of my vacation weeks for an extra hackweek). To top it off, it doesn't hurt spending the remaining weeks innovating with dedicated and motivated teammates.

In five months here, I've had a chance to work on a pivotal feature, win at hackweek, and know that the senior folks are listening if I need them to. Zillow places a lot of emphasis on culture and looks for ways to keep innovating. If you're talented and motivated, consider spending your energy at Zillow, and my experience here so far says you'll get more energized in return.

Cons

Some of the legacy code can be challenging to navigate. On the positive side, most dev managers seem to be open to refactoring small chunks of code despite the obvious risks.

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your feedback! I'm really glad that you're having such a great experience here, and in particular that you're finding the work interesting and impactful. As you know, we try to keep our ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Visionary leaders, but now with added layers of management as the cost of growing the company

Former Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The top rate talent for co-workers is the norm. The ability to have ownership of projects makes the work meaningful. They create a culture of high expectations and reward accordingly. Work/life balance is important and they do a good job of balancing that for the employees.

Cons

I enjoyed the start-up ethos the company displayed in the early days, but after becoming a public company the level of bureaucracy increased to a point where innovation was slowed down

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback. As you probably know, I work very hard to make sure the company moves fast and that we remain every bit as nimble and innovative as we were when we were a 20 person ... More

Amazing collaborative place to grow!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern

Pros

- Dedicated individuals working hard to create innovative products
    - Trust of upper level management to take on new projects
    - Room for professional growth
    - Everyone is very invested but yet open to your feedback and opinions, which I found to be very unique

Cons

- Such a nice place hard to leave
    - Can be challenging if not the type of person who like to take on challenges and needs tons structure

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I'm glad you liked Zillow so much. Sorry to see you go, but thank you for the nice review.

Solid Opportunity

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Excellent pay. 2. Health dental 3. Free food. 4. Smart People and fun work culture. You can raise a family on a zillow salary and commissions.

Cons

Mobility for sales guys is possible but unlikely if you're not the top on the floor. First 6 months are incredibly hard.

Make it more difficult to become a sales rep. It's a rough job for people without the right attitude, expectations, and confidence.

Great work culture and awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is one of the big reason, I like working here. Smart people all around and you feel like going to work everyday, which wasn't the case at my last job. Management empowers engineers to innovate and ample freedom to experiment. You will be surprised how transparent the company is; you can walk up and talk to anyone from CEO or CTO.

Cons

Base salary could be higher, but I guess we are paying the price for other incentives. Sometimes I feel that there is lack of engineering challenges given the nature of business, and I feel my talent is underutilized.

You guys do awesome job, and keep keep it up. Might want to revisit the compensation policy to keep in line with other companies around.

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you're enjoying your experience at Zillow, and that you appreciate the transparency with which we run the company.
     I was a little bummed that you're not feeling
    ... More

Great company, moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zillow focuses on hiring the best people and treating them like rockstars. No dress code, open office layout, free stocked cafeteria, weekly catered lunches, and fun off-site events are just a few of the non-traditional perks. They also have an awesome medical plan, stock options, and flexible PTO policy. You'll hear a lot of people mention "culture" as they talk about their experience at Zillow. That's because Zillow knows when you treat your employees well, THEY ACTUALLY ENJOY WORK! And we do. We have fun while growing a successful business. Senior management has the ship steered towards growth and their foot is on the gas.

Cons

Since Zillow hires rockstars, they want you to ROCK. Some might consider this challenge dead in the water. However, expectations are weighted on experience and skill level. If you set reasonable goals, they are achievable without being overly stressed.

Please don't stop. Don't get complaisant or settle. Continue being the trendsetter for the industry. Continue challenging our team to grow our audience (because audience drives advertisers). Continue to look at additional benefits (401k match) to keep us competitive and attractive to young talent.

Zillow Response

Jun 11, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review! As you know, I love going to Lincoln. You guys are crushing it, and it's such a fun office to be in. Kathleen (COO) feels the same way and is always so fired up when ... More

The toughest sales job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of perks- free snacks, drinks and gatherings. Benefits package is good and they offer stock as well.

Cons

Long hours with no breaks. There's an expectation of 200 calls a day which is made very clear. They hire a ton of sales folks all at once with the expectation that most will quit.

Hi,
    Spencer (ceo) here. You are right that we have very high expectations of our people. We don't however expect that most of our new salespeople will quit! That's definitely not the expectation nor

I love Zillow!

Current Employee - Industry Relations  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Industry Relations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zillow was my first job out of college from business school at the University of Washington and I couldn't have asked for a better transition into the corporate world. The leaders that I've had the privilege to work under have helped me shape my work ethic and have given me confidence in a work setting. I feel comfortable to share my ideas with those that work above me, and I truly feel like what I have to say is taken into consideration. I've now worked in two positions at Zillow and am grateful that I've had the opportunity to grow alongside the company. There is a strong focus on company culture and transparency which you don't see enough in companies today.

Cons

With the company growing so fast, new teams are emerging in every department. Better training for those who are being moved in to a management position would be nice - however, I know this is on the radar and will be taken into consideration in the near future.

Nope - I fully trust the vision of my management and their goals are very transparent.

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!