Zillow

www.zillow.com

I will NEVER regret my decision to come work here!!!

Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Zillow is truly a fast-paced, innovative and exciting company to work for! This company takes its core values seriously (based around teamwork, visibility, empowerment, ownership, etc), which is exactly why their interview process is so detailed and sometimes lengthy. The whole process took me about a month and a half (from application to offer), so stay persistent if it feels like the right move for you!

Cons

No complaints to report so far. Everyone I work with is awesome, and the work I'm doing is interesting!!

Keep doing what you're doing and inspiring your teams everyday!!

Zillow Response

Jan 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you are enjoying your experience here, and I'm glad you stuck with us through the interviewing process to end up here.

The real deal about Zillow

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is honestly a ton of benefits from working at Zillow but I'm only going to address the top 3.

LEADERSHIP: Anyone in real estate knows the 3 golden rules for success which is location, location and location. In my opinion the 3 golden rules for corporate success is leadership, leadership, leadership. If I ever quit Zillow, they have switched up how I would search for a new job. The first thing I would investigate is the leaderships track record and let's be honest Zillow's leadership is about as good as it gets. Spencer's natural charisma and knack for leadership gets two thumbs up from me. Don't get me wrong I know Zillow is a Team Sport and we have hundred's, actually thousands of very talented people but I believe the top executives are responsible for the long term growth.

COMPENSATION: All and all Zillow's compensation is fair. You can definitely make really good money but be ready to grind you tail off, lucky for me I don't mind. When you throw in all the company functions, health benefits, 401K match, bonuses, regular hosted lunches, bus pass, PassPort card and much more, Zillow makes it worth it to work 10-12 days.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: If you are a person that has high energy, likes loud music, likes wearing relaxed attire, competitive nature, likes to play video game at break time, working in a beautiful high profile modern building, watching the sunrise from behind Mt Rainer or watching the whales swim by at sunset in the Puget Sound........you might want to apply at Zillow

Cons

Only a couple negative ones....

I've been here for just under 5 years and personally had issues that really started to surface after we went public which I suppose typically happens. My main issues were pay related because I was hired on at certain splits and then one day they just announce they are changing it. It seems to change up a few times a year now. It's not always in the same form but they are always trying a way to push us harder to get the dangling carrot. I get it that it's good for the Zillow bottom line but it burns people out pretty quickly and ultimately provides lower level customer service to clients because we are pushed to bring on more new clients over anything else. It's an endless circle.

We are so big now and unless you are a person that likes to schmooze you can often feel like your efforts go unnoticed. If you are single with no kids it's much easier to advance because you can participate in all the after work functions.

I feel trapped in my position because I don't feel like I can make as much money in a different position within the company.

You guys are the Rock Stars, how about some advice to me?

Jan 14, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and thanks for your contributions since the early days of Inside Sales at Zillow. I am glad you appreciate the culture you've helped create over ... More

Best place to work in Southern California

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Every salesperson is treated like a true professional. We are encouraged to reach our potential but are given freedom with how we sell. Tons of incredible lunches, awards and an all around positive support. I have made the most money and had the most fun while doing it at Zillow!

Cons

It is a competitive environment, but that's sales! With uncapped sales potential of course it is going to be a grind at times. The hungriest sales person will win.

Keep doing what you are doing- Great sales team that is treated like family.

best job I've had

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow (less than a year)

Pros

-Ridiculously fast growth and fantastic culture.
    -Hack week is probably the most fun I've had in my software dev career.
    -The people around me are the best balance of passionate, fun, yet professional that I've worked with in the industry.
    -There's always a lot of interesting work to do and problems to solve, but I'm still able to consistently work 40-45 hours a week.

Cons

Not quite elite compensation package, The company seems to be trying to hire the top candidates, but offered a smaller comp package than what I was offered from Twitter and Facebook, and no free (daily) meals or parking.

Keep the fun culture. You guys are doing great.

The Best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Culture of Zillow has continued as we have grown in size. The leadership has done an amazing job of keeping the transparency and collaborative culture alive and well. It's odd to say but every employee I talk to loves coming into work. I never hear someone groaning about 'another day at the office'. The company invests in it's employees and provides a safe, comfortable, and career growing environment.

Cons

The gym at the Zillow Tower is not a full gym. Yes, this is my only gripe.

Keep doing what your doing, there will be changes, but you have continued to hire and keep the best employees. Spencer is amazing and I love that Lloyd and Rich continue to be involved. I have never heard a manager from the top down say something that indicated they didn't have their finger on the pulse of Zillow.

Zillow Response

Dec 11, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Awesome. Thank you!!!
    Yes, Rich and Lloyd remain very involved (probably more involved than most people realize!). Lloyd mostly focuses on product and strategy issues, and Rich is very involved
    ... More

Love Zillow so Much

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Love the people, benefits, culture, openness of the office. Truly the best position I have had in my career. I have never been so happy at a job as I am now. I love the review process and the core values.

Cons

401K match was an issue for some time, but management looked into it and fixed it.

Keep up the good work, it always seems that you are willing to listen to your employees.

Working at Zillow was my worst experience ever

I worked at Zillow

Pros

Overall company culture is good in terms of work events, parties, etc

Cons

One random day, I was let go from the company without any explanation or warning as to why. I was a happy, positive, dedicated worker who got along with everyone in the team. If there was a major issue with my performance, it should be have been brought up before but it wasnt . Any feedback given to me during the duration of my work at the company I accepted happily and worked towards fixing it....Without been given an obvious reason for being let go, it feels like there was a bias in place for women in effect here as i was the only women on the team. The environment on the team never fostered 'learning' for me..i was pretty much discouraged to ask any questions by my manager. From the first day i started in the role, there was a female bias already in place which is unfortunate for an otherwise great compnay.

I liked Zillow as a company and have always rooted for their success. I am disappointed that they have treated me this way. So i let this serve as a warning for all women entering a product development role at Zillow, based on my experience here.

If you find someone who is as passoniate for Zillow's success as i was, think twice before letting them go. Teach management in product development how to work with women because i'd hate to see someone else go down this path..

Feb 2, 2015CTO

I am sorry things didn't work out for you. We value all employees, including women, and we have been improving the diversity of the team, though we want to see more progress within Zillow and ... More

Fantastic company!

Current Employee - CX Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CX Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow (less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership. Management is all very approachable and really tries to advocate for their employes. Everyone's ideas and needs are listened to and put to action. The executives are engaging to listen to. Even in a room of a thousand people they make their speeches feel personable.

The hiring process is really thorough, but if you get a job here you'll see why. Everybody that works at this company is a perfect fit with their team. Zillow sees the importance of company culture and does a great job of making sure that their employes work well together. I believe that everyone on my team genuinely likes one another.

There are a lot of perks for working here, and HR is striving to make them even better. Can't wait for the 401k matching to start.

Cons

I think people on the sales team have way too much pressure on them and it trickles down to others.

I didn't think I could like this company more than I already did, but after our annual meeting I love Zillow. The goals and values of this company are ones that I'm proud to work towards. I am semi-new to the company and wish we had more meetings like this because I learned more in one day than I have in a few months about the company. HR is awesome at ramping people up and getting them excited to work at Zillow, but hearing all of the execs speak and hearing each team's goals and plans really helped me to see the whole picture and realize all the work that goes into running the site.

Zillow Response

Jan 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review. I agree that the annual meeting in December helped get everyone on the same page, and also fired us up for 2015. It is a huge investment in time, energy and money, but ... More

Great company with great opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zillow is a great company to work for. Salaries are competitive and they make a strong effort to keep them fair as well as even with the market. Zillow is also very fair with raises and stock equity grants.

As far as personal growth, Zillow encourages you in its core values to Own It. You get ahead at Zillow by owning big projects, taking big swings, and succeeding at them.

Zillow as a large company is also very generous. Every year employees get a very cool gift that has a purpose, to make us better at our jobs. Last year was FitBits (good health means good work), this year it was Kindle Fires (smarter employees are better employees).

Cons

Zillow has historically been weak on training, but that is changing quickly. I think the biggest con is that it can be difficult to be in an office other than main headquarters, and can also be difficult to work on a business that is not the core real estate/for sale business.

Keep being open, keep sharing numbers as freely as you do. Be willing to make tough decisions when they need to be made, even when they involve people.

Good while it lasted

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Good benefit while it lasted, flexibly working environment

Cons

too much bureaucracy, you have to be a favorite of someone to hold your job.