Zillow

Updated January 29, 2015
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with great opportunity

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zillow is a great company to work for. Salaries are competitive and they make a strong effort to keep them fair as well as even with the market. Zillow is also very fair with raises and stock equity grants.

As far as personal growth, Zillow encourages you in its core values to Own It. You get ahead at Zillow by owning big projects, taking big swings, and succeeding at them.

Zillow as a large company is also very generous. Every year employees get a very cool gift that has a purpose, to make us better at our jobs. Last year was FitBits (good health means good work), this year it was Kindle Fires (smarter employees are better employees).

Cons

Zillow has historically been weak on training, but that is changing quickly. I think the biggest con is that it can be difficult to be in an office other than main headquarters, and can also be difficult to work on a business that is not the core real estate/for sale business.

Keep being open, keep sharing numbers as freely as you do. Be willing to make tough decisions when they need to be made, even when they involve people.

Fantastic company!

Current Employee - CX Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CX Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow (less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership. Management is all very approachable and really tries to advocate for their employes. Everyone's ideas and needs are listened to and put to action. The executives are engaging to listen to. Even in a room of a thousand people they make their speeches feel personable.

The hiring process is really thorough, but if you get a job here you'll see why. Everybody that works at this company is a perfect fit with their team. Zillow sees the importance of company culture and does a great job of making sure that their employes work well together. I believe that everyone on my team genuinely likes one another.

There are a lot of perks for working here, and HR is striving to make them even better. Can't wait for the 401k matching to start.

Cons

I think people on the sales team have way too much pressure on them and it trickles down to others.

I didn't think I could like this company more than I already did, but after our annual meeting I love Zillow. The goals and values of this company are ones that I'm proud to work towards. I am semi-new to the company and wish we had more meetings like this because I learned more in one day than I have in a few months about the company. HR is awesome at ramping people up and getting them excited to work at Zillow, but hearing all of the execs speak and hearing each team's goals and plans really helped me to see the whole picture and realize all the work that goes into running the site.

Zillow Response

Jan 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review. I agree that the annual meeting in December helped get everyone on the same page, and also fired us up for 2015. It is a huge investment in time, energy and money, but ... More

Working at Zillow was my worst experience ever

I worked at Zillow

Pros

Overall company culture is good in terms of work events, parties, etc

Cons

One random day, I was let go from the company without any explanation or warning as to why. I was a happy, positive, dedicated worker who got along with everyone in the team. If there was a major issue with my performance, it should be have been brought up before but it wasnt . Any feedback given to me during the duration of my work at the company I accepted happily and worked towards fixing it....Without been given an obvious reason for being let go, it feels like there was a bias in place for women in effect here as i was the only women on the team. The environment on the team never fostered 'learning' for me..i was pretty much discouraged to ask any questions by my manager. From the first day i started in the role, there was a female bias already in place which is unfortunate for an otherwise great compnay.

I liked Zillow as a company and have always rooted for their success. I am disappointed that they have treated me this way. So i let this serve as a warning for all women entering a product development role at Zillow, based on my experience here.

If you find someone who is as passoniate for Zillow's success as i was, think twice before letting them go. Teach management in product development how to work with women because i'd hate to see someone else go down this path..

Good while it lasted

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Good benefit while it lasted, flexibly working environment

Cons

too much bureaucracy, you have to be a favorite of someone to hold your job.

Best decision I've made!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Where do I start... Zillow is a complete 180 from my last employer and I have to say that coming here has been one of the best decisions I've made in my career.

- Transparency: As an employee, I feel like I'm really in the "know" with where the company is headed/what's going on. This is incredibly valuable.

- Fun: The work culture is genuinely fun and engaging. Teams celebrate wins together, and there have been great culture events to keep everyone happy and motivated.

- Work/life balance: This was really lacking in my previous job, and I'm happy to say that I've been able to maintain a healthy balance between work and my home life. This isn't important to everyone, but it is definitely important to me. I feel like a person again!

- Benefits: AWESOME benefits, especially for those with a family.

I feel like I have learned a lot and have had great exposure to folks from all levels of experience. It's a flat organization without red tape, and the conversations I have with my peers are open and honest.

Cons

Getting started was a little slow due to lack of training in my department, but I'm the type that learns by doing anyway so it didn't take long to hit the ground running.

With our growth, please continue to maintain the culture that we know and love! I worry that this will falter, but have faith that it's being monitored.

Hi,
    Spencer here. Thank you for your review. I am really happy that you are enjoying your Zillow experience in our Seattle office.
    I agree that we could be doing a better job of employee training
    ... More

If you want to grow your career, Zillow is the place

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Leadership is fantastic 2) Work is challenging 3) Coworkers are authentic and caring 4) Massive opportunity for growth 5) Benefits are getting better --- namely, 401k match, maternity leave

Cons

I truly love working at Zillow. As the company grows, there is certainly a bit more red tape and process. This can be challenging. However, leadership is aware of this and makes an effort to combat this.

Dec 9, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. Yes, I am definitely aware of the challenges that we face as we grow. And I am committed to minimizing red tape and process (except where helpful!). We have to remain nimble ... More

Great Office, Culture and people!

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zillow is widely known now for being a great company but what I think people don't see is how awesome our SF office is. I saw the other review and it blew my mind. We have the best mix of a start-up feel here in SF but being part of a great and stable company. Our teams are small, everyone's voice matters. I think we unanimously can say in the past year we've had such an awesome improvement in culture thanks to our Office Manager, Recruiter and HR person (you all rock by the way). I saw the other person compared us to our Seattle HQ. Now, I can say confidently, I've probably been to that office more than he/she has. It IS a cool office, no doubt but I would a thousand times over pick SF. Seattle is a bit corporate and doesn't have the personal vibe SF does. If you talk to your manager in SF, our directors or our COO here you WILL be heard. Don't know what other office or company you can say that about.

Cons

No cons for this office per say. But I think as the company grows more transparency is always good. It seems that it's hard to sometimes keep that up which creates a lot of confusion and anxiety down in the trenches. But, I feel that we're in good hands with Spencer and I trust he does what he needs to do.

Keep salaries competitive. Sometimes new people coming in seem to boast about their comp and it isn't always in line with what people who have been here longer are making.

Zillow Response

Nov 20, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

THANK YOU THANK YOU for this great review. You made my day. I am so glad that you are happy at Zillow and I agree with you that the SF office is strong. It is the center of our rentals initiative ... More

Its sales: take the good with the bad

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Excellent pay. I made 90k my first year. Most managers are awesome and care about us. Health package is top notch. The product actually works. Most of my teamates are fantastic. people who say its like boiler room are just not being fair or honest. I am not pushy at all and I make really good money. My clients who listen to my advice kick but.

Cons

Long hours. They can work on noise control. Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward. dollars per min or number of product demonstrations should be weighed in when it comes to daily activity goals.

Dec 9, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. Looks like you are in inside sales, probably in our agent sales group which sells Zillow advertising to "Premier Agents" around the country. I agree with you -- we are NOT a ... More

Hands Down the Best Job I Have Had.

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and driven. Problems are tackled collaboratively and successes are celebrated before the next goal is tackled. I love that an environment of continual learning is encouraged, from bringing in speakers to sharing tech and industry info via email. I feel like work-life balanced is encouraged as people seem focused on work at work, and then communication slows way down after 5pm and on the weekends. It is great!

Cons

I can't think of one at this time.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

Dream Job - Almost too good to be true

Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will love every aspect of your life at Zillow from the ongoing training classes, to the personal development training's, to requests for your thoughts/input, to the exciting culture, and of course...all of the free snacks. Working at Zillow feels fun and inclusive. Your thoughts matter and are valued. We have motorized stand-up desks, we have treadmill desks, and we even have a 17th floor outdoor deck that you can work on.

Zillow provides coffee, but not just drip coffee! We can choose from americanos, espresso shots, lattes, and cappuccinos.We have our choices of cereals and fruit, yogurt, cheese, and hummus, chips, pretzels, and popcorn, and yes...we really do have a fully stocked candy wall.

Zillow brings in industry speakers for lunch hours and yes, lunch is provided. It gives us the opportunity to hear what is working for their company or campaign and how they are "doing it". People such as Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Jamie Nordstrom, and Arianna Huffington. We've even had a Seahawks player come speak to us.

We have core values and Zillow stands behind all 6 of them in every aspect of the company. We talk about them at every meeting and we live them every day.

Zillow embraces culture by hosting Halloween parties with costume contests, Zoktoberfest, Mariners outings, sponsoring Tough Mudder (which Spencer Rascoff joined in for!), we even have a game room with video games and ping pong, and we all get FitBits to encourage taking the stairs.

Also, Zillow pays for your public transportation (ORCA card) and pays for your health insurance!

We have modern decor and STUNNING views of the Puget Sound, Cascade Mountain Range, Olympic Mountain Range, Mt Baker, and Mt Rainier.

Everyone here is approachable and helpful. You will look forward to coming to work and you'll never hate staying late now and then. You want to work at Zillow!

Cons

I do not have a con about working a Zillow. I smile, ever day, in the elevator on the way up to my floor.

Keep moving in the progressive direction that you are. You make working a Zillow such an exciting opportunity - everyday. Thank you for being far, far above and beyond my expectations!