Zillow

Updated October 16, 2014
4.1

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 11 reviews)

• Call time is huge, micromanagement, with managers are only looking out for themselves (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work culture and awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture is one of the big reason, I like working here. Smart people all around and you feel like going to work everyday, which wasn't the case at my last job. Management empowers engineers to innovate and ample freedom to experiment. You will be surprised how transparent the company is; you can walk up and talk to anyone from CEO or CTO.

Cons

Base salary could be higher, but I guess we are paying the price for other incentives. Sometimes I feel that there is lack of engineering challenges given the nature of business, and I feel my talent is underutilized.

You guys do awesome job, and keep keep it up. Might want to revisit the compensation policy to keep in line with other companies around.

Zillow Response

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you're enjoying your experience at Zillow, and that you appreciate the transparency with which we run the company.
     I was a little bummed that you're not feeling
    ... More

Great company, moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Zillow focuses on hiring the best people and treating them like rockstars. No dress code, open office layout, free stocked cafeteria, weekly catered lunches, and fun off-site events are just a few of the non-traditional perks. They also have an awesome medical plan, stock options, and flexible PTO policy. You'll hear a lot of people mention "culture" as they talk about their experience at Zillow. That's because Zillow knows when you treat your employees well, THEY ACTUALLY ENJOY WORK! And we do. We have fun while growing a successful business. Senior management has the ship steered towards growth and their foot is on the gas.

Cons

Since Zillow hires rockstars, they want you to ROCK. Some might consider this challenge dead in the water. However, expectations are weighted on experience and skill level. If you set reasonable goals, they are achievable without being overly stressed.

Please don't stop. Don't get complaisant or settle. Continue being the trendsetter for the industry. Continue challenging our team to grow our audience (because audience drives advertisers). Continue to look at additional benefits (401k match) to keep us competitive and attractive to young talent.

Zillow Response

Jun 11, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review! As you know, I love going to Lincoln. You guys are crushing it, and it's such a fun office to be in. Kathleen (COO) feels the same way and is always so fired up when ... More

The toughest sales job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of perks- free snacks, drinks and gatherings. Benefits package is good and they offer stock as well.

Cons

Long hours with no breaks. There's an expectation of 200 calls a day which is made very clear. They hire a ton of sales folks all at once with the expectation that most will quit.

Zillow Response

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    Spencer (ceo) here. You are right that we have very high expectations of our people. We don't however expect that most of our new salespeople will quit! That's definitely not the expectation nor

I love Zillow!

Current Employee - Industry Relations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Industry Relations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Zillow was my first job out of college from business school at the University of Washington and I couldn't have asked for a better transition into the corporate world. The leaders that I've had the privilege to work under have helped me shape my work ethic and have given me confidence in a work setting. I feel comfortable to share my ideas with those that work above me, and I truly feel like what I have to say is taken into consideration. I've now worked in two positions at Zillow and am grateful that I've had the opportunity to grow alongside the company. There is a strong focus on company culture and transparency which you don't see enough in companies today.

Cons

With the company growing so fast, new teams are emerging in every department. Better training for those who are being moved in to a management position would be nice - however, I know this is on the radar and will be taken into consideration in the near future.

Nope - I fully trust the vision of my management and their goals are very transparent.

The Zillow culture is exactly as promised.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They practice what they preach from the top down. Everyone works really hard while they're here and then you leave the job at the office when you go home. The culture is one of genuine helpfulness and that we're all working towards something great. I have yet to come across anyone that puts up roadblocks. They hire super smart people and highly value employee referrals.

Cons

The on-boarding process is a little shaky. I assume it's because of the fast growth, but HR needs to expand to keep up.

Keep doing what you're doing.

May 21, 2014HR Director

We are in the middle of re-vamping our onboarding process to include more than just day one and expand to first 90 days. We are putting in place more tools for new hires to be successful as they take ... More

Very Happy at Zillow

Current Employee - Fraud Prevention Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fraud Prevention Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, competitive wages/benefits, excellent management, great facilities, + all the little things. The upper level management is legitimately interested in feedback and ideas from employees; not only to make the company better, but also to make Zillow a great place to work.

Cons

The view from the Seattle office is nicer than the view here in SF. Very troubling. I sometimes stay awake at night just thinking about it.

I'm a newer hire here in SF, and I really enjoy the consideration being put into improving/maintaining office culture and atmosphere; as well as the Anonymity given to the very capable and approachable leaders in our office. Please just keep doing what you're doing.

-Side note, I'm very excited to hear about the improved leadership training that will be offered, both from a general improvement perspective as well as the hope that if successful, this program may even become available to other interested employees.

Zillow Response

Jun 11, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Great review - thank you for posting!
    As you know, because you are on the front lines, stamping out fraudulent listings on rentals is a priority of ours. I am grateful for your hard work, and our
    ... More

Great place to work. Lincoln Ne office.

Current Employee - Customer Support in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My spouse and I have been employed in the Lincoln office for 1.5 and 2 years. The transparency of the chain of command is superb. The ability to chat with the CEO, VP, etc in a manner that makes you feel like you are all in the trenches together is a value beyond comparison. Our office gives us the tools we need to hit the ground running and use our personal work ethic to exceed as far as we want. The positive outlook by upper management Is a refreshing and recharging output of energy. I personally work with our colleauges in Seattle quite often and the synergy between offices is getting stronger each day. The flexibility offered is unmatched, from time off for my significant other for the birth of our children to flexibility for the both of us for kids appointments. I was very impressed of the flexibilty and support I received after a weight lifting accident left me temporarily disabled. You just can't beat the culture, synergy and family focus. My office truly encompasses the "skys the limit" mentality if you are willing to work for what you want.

Cons

With any merger there are growing pains, however in the past year and a half I have seen great relationship building and information passed all around to all offices. With various heads of the company, along with random people from various departments visiting monthly, you just can't ask for any more open communication than that. I forsee our office as well as other offices changing for the better every day as our brand continues to be a champion in the industry.

Keep on the path. It is working well. Lincoln office, you are doing a great job of keeping the focus of our department and office at the forefront. Seattle, you are doing an excellent job at knocking out all of our annual goals and the synergy between us on mutual goals is almost on a Jordan/Pippen level. Spencer......You just keep being you!

Exciting ride with invaluable experience...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

I enjoy the transparency that our company offers. This starts at the top and is consistent across upper management. Regardless of which office you are located in, the cultural perks tend to follow with each locations special flavor. Being a division of Zillow in Lincoln still allows us to operate independently and focus on our core strengths but also opens the door for collaboration with different offices for new ideas, guidance or assistance on products and cross office mentoring. It is great to work for a company that continues to be disruptive in an industry that is long overdue for innovation.

Cons

Most of my cons working at Zillow are related to the constant motion of internal systems and processes. I understand the need to transition systems, especially when the company is in rapid growth mode but at times it is a challenge to operate efficiently and not be distracted by a new policy or procedure that has been implemented.

My advice would be to continue making decisions for long term company growth and employee satisfaction and not shift towards a short term profitability model. The acquisition experience after a year and a half has been very positive and hope it continues. I love working for this organization and excited each day to see what new challenges can be overcome. A saying that is often repeated is, "Winning is fun and we are winning!"

Heres what its REALLY like working as a sales rep at Zillow

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So the culture, benefits package, commission structure perks are great. A co-worker put it best "You get to be yourself here".

If anyone gets me going about my job I usually can't stop talking for 20 minutes. Most people eventually respond with "It almost sounds like you're making it up".

The management treats the employees with respect and have all done your job before, so the advice/help/coaching all comes from experience and they are super supportive. This place is truly amazing and you do get to be a part of a company that is consistently breaking records and winning month after month. The culture values doing the right thing, enriching the lives of the employees and clients we work with and nobody (Sales or management) is above this "no jerks, support your coworkers" culture all the way up to the top.

Cons

This job isn't for everybody. The people who shine are VERY competitive and driven, and put 100% into their work EVERY day. You have to really WANT this to be here. You don't have to put in more than 40-50 hours, but you do need to work HARD and keep a cheetah pace. If you want the payoff, you need to spend all your time on the phone. (It's like they expect you to work hard to make a lot of money, what a concept right?!?)
    This is a DREAM job if you are willing to put in the work, but there are no shortcuts to being successful in this position and people who can't stay focused on the long term career picture and get stuck in the day to day grind may find it difficult to keep pace.

The highest compliment I can give is this I care deeply for the well being of this company; the name, and the reputation, and that I am Zillow to the agents I get to work with. I feel that way because of the treatment, respect and guidance I have received from management. Keep it up guys!

It's a cool place to work but they tend to keep deadweights around too long.

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Start up vibe, free food and drinks and transparency. The CEO is pretty energetic and cares about employees.

Cons

Mortech training team sucks, they don't work and they are disorganized. Too many rules but It's probably because we are a Public Company and have to comply with all these regulations that all Public Companies have to follow.

Overhaul the training team from top to bottom. Maybe have more "Hire Slow, Fire fast" mentality for managers to keep out the deadweights.