Zillow Reviews

268 reviews filtered by

Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture, location, benefits, training, CEO

Cons

Hours and call count are such high expectations causing very high turnover

Advice to Management

Need to trim down hours and not have 11 hr days sometimes.

Great culture

I worked at Zillow

Pros

dot com culture, free food, booze and fun environment

Cons

Great culture, but departments usually hang with each other. Devs are a bit snobby (i'm smarter than you complex). Sales are arrogant (we make the company the $$).

Jan 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thanks for the feedback. Not happy to hear some of it, but I'm appreciative of the candor and will think about this.
    We have been talking about more ways to break down barriers between sales and
    ... More

Love my job and the people I work with!

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Besides the typically perks you get working at a tech company, (free food, weekly HH's, offsite events, etc) the overall culture here is awesome! I can honestly say the best part of working here is my coworkers. People come from various backgrounds, and I dig the diversity! Everyone is really smart, respectful and overall just a fun group to be around. Also, we have a good gender ratio here (as a female, that's pretty important to me) which can be difficult in tech companies. Also, dog friendly = awesome!

Cons

Trying to keep track of all the new people getting hired!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jan 19, 2015Vice President, Rentals

Thank you for your great review of Zillow and the San Francisco office. I'm glad you are enjoying our culture and smart diverse coworkers. I agree it is great to see so many female tech folks ... More

Working at Zillow was my worst experience ever

I worked at Zillow

Pros

Overall company culture is good in terms of work events, parties, etc

Cons

One random day, I was let go from the company without any explanation or warning as to why. I was a happy, positive, dedicated worker who got along with everyone in the team. If there was a major issue with my performance, it should be have been brought up before but it wasnt . Any feedback given to me during the duration of my work at the company I accepted happily and worked towards fixing it....Without been given an obvious reason for being let go, it feels like there was a bias in place for women in effect here as i was the only women on the team. The environment on the team never fostered 'learning' for me..i was pretty much discouraged to ask any questions by my manager. From the first day i started in the role, there was a female bias already in place which is unfortunate for an otherwise great compnay.

I liked Zillow as a company and have always rooted for their success. I am disappointed that they have treated me this way. So i let this serve as a warning for all women entering a product development role at Zillow, based on my experience here.

Advice to Management

If you find someone who is as passoniate for Zillow's success as i was, think twice before letting them go. Teach management in product development how to work with women because i'd hate to see someone else go down this path..

Feb 2, 2015CTO

I am sorry things didn't work out for you. We value all employees, including women, and we have been improving the diversity of the team, though we want to see more progress within Zillow and ... More

People and Culture First

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Very effective at keeping a positive culture and environment geared towards collaboration and problem solving. The goals are always clear at all levels from the corporate executive level to the department level to the individual teams.

Cons

Really not a lot that is not positive. Sometimes new opportunities can be wanting but if you create them management is very receptive to cut you slack.

Jan 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review. We do try to set clear goals for people. We are a results-oriented company, a "data meritocracy" which means that the best idea (supported by the best data) wins ... More

Best place to work in Southern California

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Every salesperson is treated like a true professional. We are encouraged to reach our potential but are given freedom with how we sell. Tons of incredible lunches, awards and an all around positive support. I have made the most money and had the most fun while doing it at Zillow!

Cons

It is a competitive environment, but that's sales! With uncapped sales potential of course it is going to be a grind at times. The hungriest sales person will win.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing- Great sales team that is treated like family.

Incredible company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Zillow for just under a year. I actually found the job listing a year ago on Glassdoor and after reading the reviews, I knew it was too good to be true.
    Everyday when I walk in the office, I am so happy to be there. From my co-workers, to the environment, to the snacks--- it's so easy to see the culture. Zillow thrives on our core values, for example: think big, move fast and winning is fun. These values are apparent in each of the employees. They are posted on our walls as constant reminder of what we are here to do.
    I work directly with our Sales Team and Agents. Though at times, it can be tiring, like any job, I have never been more excited helping my colleagues and customers at any other job.
    I have scheduled monthly meetings with my supervisor, though it's rare that a week goes by without us checking in. My manager is in touch, as well as the VP.
    I have never felt happier at any company that I have worked at. Of course there are moments when you are physically and mentally tired, but it's worth it.

Cons

The only con isn't really a con in my eyes... we are growing so quickly that we can't hire support in each department fast enough. The work load is tough at times. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Just keep the work load in mind that each employee is taking on. Listen to what your employees are complaining about and try to take them off the floor for those conversations.
    I think you are doing a great job though.

Zillow Response

Dec 9, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you very much for the great review of Zillow. I'm really glad that you are enjoying your time here, and finding the work challenging and the culture to be solid. Thank you!

I will NEVER regret my decision to come work here!!!

Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Zillow is truly a fast-paced, innovative and exciting company to work for! This company takes its core values seriously (based around teamwork, visibility, empowerment, ownership, etc), which is exactly why their interview process is so detailed and sometimes lengthy. The whole process took me about a month and a half (from application to offer), so stay persistent if it feels like the right move for you!

Cons

No complaints to report so far. Everyone I work with is awesome, and the work I'm doing is interesting!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and inspiring your teams everyday!!

Jan 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you are enjoying your experience here, and I'm glad you stuck with us through the interviewing process to end up here.

10. Great company with great opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zillow is a great company to work for. Salaries are competitive and they make a strong effort to keep them fair as well as even with the market. Zillow is also very fair with raises and stock equity grants.

As far as personal growth, Zillow encourages you in its core values to Own It. You get ahead at Zillow by owning big projects, taking big swings, and succeeding at them.

Zillow as a large company is also very generous. Every year employees get a very cool gift that has a purpose, to make us better at our jobs. Last year was FitBits (good health means good work), this year it was Kindle Fires (smarter employees are better employees).

Cons

Zillow has historically been weak on training, but that is changing quickly. I think the biggest con is that it can be difficult to be in an office other than main headquarters, and can also be difficult to work on a business that is not the core real estate/for sale business.

Advice to Management

Keep being open, keep sharing numbers as freely as you do. Be willing to make tough decisions when they need to be made, even when they involve people.

The real deal about Zillow

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is honestly a ton of benefits from working at Zillow but I'm only going to address the top 3.

LEADERSHIP: Anyone in real estate knows the 3 golden rules for success which is location, location and location. In my opinion the 3 golden rules for corporate success is leadership, leadership, leadership. If I ever quit Zillow, they have switched up how I would search for a new job. The first thing I would investigate is the leaderships track record and let's be honest Zillow's leadership is about as good as it gets. Spencer's natural charisma and knack for leadership gets two thumbs up from me. Don't get me wrong I know Zillow is a Team Sport and we have hundred's, actually thousands of very talented people but I believe the top executives are responsible for the long term growth.

COMPENSATION: All and all Zillow's compensation is fair. You can definitely make really good money but be ready to grind you tail off, lucky for me I don't mind. When you throw in all the company functions, health benefits, 401K match, bonuses, regular hosted lunches, bus pass, PassPort card and much more, Zillow makes it worth it to work 10-12 days.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: If you are a person that has high energy, likes loud music, likes wearing relaxed attire, competitive nature, likes to play video game at break time, working in a beautiful high profile modern building, watching the sunrise from behind Mt Rainer or watching the whales swim by at sunset in the Puget Sound........you might want to apply at Zillow

Cons

Only a couple negative ones....

I've been here for just under 5 years and personally had issues that really started to surface after we went public which I suppose typically happens. My main issues were pay related because I was hired on at certain splits and then one day they just announce they are changing it. It seems to change up a few times a year now. It's not always in the same form but they are always trying a way to push us harder to get the dangling carrot. I get it that it's good for the Zillow bottom line but it burns people out pretty quickly and ultimately provides lower level customer service to clients because we are pushed to bring on more new clients over anything else. It's an endless circle.

We are so big now and unless you are a person that likes to schmooze you can often feel like your efforts go unnoticed. If you are single with no kids it's much easier to advance because you can participate in all the after work functions.

I feel trapped in my position because I don't feel like I can make as much money in a different position within the company.

Advice to Management

You guys are the Rock Stars, how about some advice to me?

Jan 14, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and thanks for your contributions since the early days of Inside Sales at Zillow. I am glad you appreciate the culture you've helped create over ... More