Zillow

Updated January 29, 2015
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart people & beautiful women everywhere!

Former Employee - Zillow Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Zillow Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, commission potential great!
    My manager was super hot!

Cons

Low inventory making it unfair for a newer employee to build a book of business.

It feels like a total grind everyday.

Add a variety of products to sell so you don't have high turn over.

Hard work and fun

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Good income potential, great people. Very generous with lunches, contests. Annual trip to Seattle for Xmas party. Perfect fit for me.

Cons

Lots of turnover, managers tend to manage numbers not people. A lot of rah rah motivation in lieu of finding out what actually motivates the individual.

Get a better hiring process.

Nov 12, 2014

Thanks for reviewing your experience at Zillow.

I run the Inside Sales organization at Zillow and wanted to address your concerns:

• There is turnover in the Inside sales department and we're
    ... More

great potential that is impossible to reach.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great start up mentality. awesome perks. primo location. everything is fun all the time outside of your grind. this of course was 2 years ago.

Cons

the turnover rate is very depressing. it is hard to stay focused when people are vanishing left and right. if you can handle that, and you can sell, you can be very happy.

more hands on training from the managers to their salespeople. one week before sending them off into the wild just is not enough.

Nov 19, 2014

My name is Doug Slotkin and I run the Inside Sales organization - I likely interacted with you a couple of years ago when you were at Zillow.

The training, to your point, has improved in terms of

Zillow Intern experience

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site. We played ping pong a lot while waiting for code to compile. Really great view of Seattle.

Cons

The work I was doing wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to be doing for the rest of my life - I needed something more challenging than front-end website work.

Zillow Response

Dec 9, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I'm glad you had a good intern experience, and I hope you got an offer to come back full-time after you finish college. We have hired many former interns, and I hope you are among them. We will also ... More

A hip relaxed, and open work experience

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Open office space letting you feel part of the team. Frequent group presentations encouraging growth and ingenuity. A positive culture of lateral and vertical thinking.

Cons

Goals can sometimes not be clearly stated, or identified. A disjointed connection with the bigger picture of the company direction and goals.

Allowing different departments to be more fully involved in the larger picture

Zillow Response

Nov 6, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    thank you for the feedback. It's actually very helpful for me to see. I agree that we (I) should/can do a better job of communicating how people's goals are connected with the bigger picture
    ... More

Work to live, don't live to work

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You CAN make 100k first year
    The product you are selling CAN change lives and work for your clients
    Upper management (executives) seem to care about the employees - local management does not
    This is a great first job in sales (they will hire anybody) - if you can succeed at Zillow, you can succeed anywhere
    You will build relationships with outstanding people all across the country
    If you are one of the few, you will be fast tracked out of inside sales (12 -18 months)

Cons

LOUD - you will have people screaming, cheering, clapping, noise makers, loud music, etc ALL DAY EVERYDAY
    Its a non stop pep rally and the farthest thing from a professional sales environment you will ever see.

Revolving door - 90% turnover - don't believe otherwise

35k base salary

Long hours - expect 10-12 hours a day to succeed for your first year - sometimes more

Job outlook - This job never gets easier, don't believe the hype. You will make even more calls tomorrow than you did today. There are 200+ sales reps calling the same zip codes, talking to the same agents, about the same product day after day.

Call time - you are REQUIRED to TALK 210 minutes everyday (no, the phone ringing doesn't count towards it)
    You will be expected to hit this number every day. Skip lunch, come in early, and stay late but for gods sake don't miss call time. (this correlates greatly to the 90% turnover).

You will be told to stand up constantly. Some managers will even take your chair away from you.

You will be discouraged from ever taking time off. Management pretends they need advance notice to take your PTO. They will railroad you if you are sick and expect that you work anyway.

You will sell terrible advertising packages because you have a quota to hit. You know its not worth what it costs but you'll sell it anyway. (This is a flaw because the product can work well when sold correctly)

The OC office needs an influx of culture from Seattle - you can have fun and still remain professional. OC hasn't found that balance.

Get rid of call time - manage on activity (calls, conversations, sales, etc), not minutes

Pricing - Find a better formula. Its obscene in many areas. Talk to the front line regarding lead quality and quantity. There is a problem when leads cost hundreds of dollars each.

Nov 12, 2014

My name is Doug Slotkin and I run the Inside Sales group at Zillow - thanks for taking the time to pass along your feedback - I'd like to address your comments:

• You're absolutely right in that
    ... More

"Yes men" succeed. Run by spineless leader

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Snacks. Not everyone there is bad. They have bathrooms. The office views are beautiful. The holiday parties are fun.

Cons

The CEO is nothing more than a PR puppet. The real decision maker is the CRO. Whatever he says goes. Core values of the company are nothing more than a recruitment tool. They are not honestly followed. People who don't do jack, don't get let go.

I don't know how you sleep at night knowing how you mistreat the people who do most of the work and live for Zillow. 2014 has been the year of ridiculous decision making and morally bankrupt managers.

Zillow Response

Nov 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Ouch. This one hurts. Obviously, I disagree with your opinion, but you are certainly entitled to it.
    I run Zillow transparently, honestly, morally, and efficiently. I care deeply about our
    ... More

Good company, good people, boring job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Free food, nice people, nice offices, room for growth, nice benefits, stock options, decent training program.

Cons

Can't speak for other departments, but sales and account management is dull. You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG. Team leads are supportive and my manager was a nice guy, but if you don't enjoy being on the phone and want more action in a job, this isn't for you.
    They watch you more than you think and the first month is really more of a trial run - come in early, stay late, take a short lunch or you're sacked - simple as that. If you're in sales, prepare for a grind - if you're good at it, theres money to be made. If you're not - pack your bags. Account management - don't get used to a lot of money - you won't make it. Enjoy talking to real estate agents and having the same conversation every day all day. Your headset and free popcorn will be constant companions.

allow employees time to blossom at their job before firing them.

Nov 12, 2014

I run the Inside Sales org at Zillow and thanks for taking the time to review your experience.

I'd like to address your concerns:

• As with any job, there is a certain amount of routine that's

Hard Work Unlimited Growth

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're willing to work hard and keep the customers well-being in mind you will go far in this company. They care more about the goodness of people and the success of their agents and employes then they do about profit. Endless benefits and feeling of being part of the Zillow family has kept me going through even the tough times. The company has changed my life and the life of my three daughters. We are forever grateful for the opportunity. The CEO CFO and all directors of the sales department have their ear to the ground and are open to any suggestions that employees offer. There is no cap on how much even a new salesman can make if he does it the right way.

Cons

If you come into the company and think that being a star sales person is all you need to do you are wrong. Long-term sustainable growth of the customer and of you as a sales person is the only thing that matters. There are no cons for those who are willing to work hard.

I would like to see more opportunities for those who really enjoy teaching less experienced sales people how to excel. It would be nice to see a program that designates weekly lunches with employees who are doing it right and brand-new employees.

Zillow Response

Oct 3, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

This is great feedback for me, for future employees, and for current employees. Thank you for posting this.

The best company I've worked for-Z-OC

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture here is sincerely positive. Support is always there. It's not an easy job by any means but there is a team spirit amongst individual teams as well as the office as a whole. It's fun to come to work everyday. Everyone from the top down in the company knows who you are and is approachable. You know you are a part of something. High energy, music playing, encouragement to succeed. Bonuses, lunches, celebrations, events, oh and the best benefits. It's my pleasure to work at Zillow.

Cons

Not an easy job, lots of calling, lots of highs but some lows. Long days at times.

Keep doing what you are doing.