Zillow

Updated September 20, 2014
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You are a telemarketer that has to cold call 100 real estate agents everyday who do not want to be called (in 8 reviews)

• But I felt that trade off was worth it due to the great work life balance and company culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Happy at Zillow

Current Employee - Fraud Prevention Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fraud Prevention Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, competitive wages/benefits, excellent management, great facilities, + all the little things. The upper level management is legitimately interested in feedback and ideas from employees; not only to make the company better, but also to make Zillow a great place to work.

Cons

The view from the Seattle office is nicer than the view here in SF. Very troubling. I sometimes stay awake at night just thinking about it.

I'm a newer hire here in SF, and I really enjoy the consideration being put into improving/maintaining office culture and atmosphere; as well as the Anonymity given to the very capable and approachable leaders in our office. Please just keep doing what you're doing.

-Side note, I'm very excited to hear about the improved leadership training that will be offered, both from a general improvement perspective as well as the hope that if successful, this program may even become available to other interested employees.

Zillow Response

Jun 11, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Great review - thank you for posting!
    As you know, because you are on the front lines, stamping out fraudulent listings on rentals is a priority of ours. I am grateful for your hard work, and our
    ... More

I love Zillow!

Current Employee - Industry Relations  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Industry Relations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zillow was my first job out of college from business school at the University of Washington and I couldn't have asked for a better transition into the corporate world. The leaders that I've had the privilege to work under have helped me shape my work ethic and have given me confidence in a work setting. I feel comfortable to share my ideas with those that work above me, and I truly feel like what I have to say is taken into consideration. I've now worked in two positions at Zillow and am grateful that I've had the opportunity to grow alongside the company. There is a strong focus on company culture and transparency which you don't see enough in companies today.

Cons

With the company growing so fast, new teams are emerging in every department. Better training for those who are being moved in to a management position would be nice - however, I know this is on the radar and will be taken into consideration in the near future.

Nope - I fully trust the vision of my management and their goals are very transparent.

The Zillow culture is exactly as promised.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

They practice what they preach from the top down. Everyone works really hard while they're here and then you leave the job at the office when you go home. The culture is one of genuine helpfulness and that we're all working towards something great. I have yet to come across anyone that puts up roadblocks. They hire super smart people and highly value employee referrals.

Cons

The on-boarding process is a little shaky. I assume it's because of the fast growth, but HR needs to expand to keep up.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Zillow Response

May 21, 2014HR Director

We are in the middle of re-vamping our onboarding process to include more than just day one and expand to first 90 days. We are putting in place more tools for new hires to be successful as they take ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. Lincoln Ne office.

Current Employee - Customer Support  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

My spouse and I have been employed in the Lincoln office for 1.5 and 2 years. The transparency of the chain of command is superb. The ability to chat with the CEO, VP, etc in a manner that makes you feel like you are all in the trenches together is a value beyond comparison. Our office gives us the tools we need to hit the ground running and use our personal work ethic to exceed as far as we want. The positive outlook by upper management Is a refreshing and recharging output of energy. I personally work with our colleauges in Seattle quite often and the synergy between offices is getting stronger each day. The flexibility offered is unmatched, from time off for my significant other for the birth of our children to flexibility for the both of us for kids appointments. I was very impressed of the flexibilty and support I received after a weight lifting accident left me temporarily disabled. You just can't beat the culture, synergy and family focus. My office truly encompasses the "skys the limit" mentality if you are willing to work for what you want.

Cons

With any merger there are growing pains, however in the past year and a half I have seen great relationship building and information passed all around to all offices. With various heads of the company, along with random people from various departments visiting monthly, you just can't ask for any more open communication than that. I forsee our office as well as other offices changing for the better every day as our brand continues to be a champion in the industry.

Keep on the path. It is working well. Lincoln office, you are doing a great job of keeping the focus of our department and office at the forefront. Seattle, you are doing an excellent job at knocking out all of our annual goals and the synergy between us on mutual goals is almost on a Jordan/Pippen level. Spencer......You just keep being you!

Exciting ride with invaluable experience...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

I enjoy the transparency that our company offers. This starts at the top and is consistent across upper management. Regardless of which office you are located in, the cultural perks tend to follow with each locations special flavor. Being a division of Zillow in Lincoln still allows us to operate independently and focus on our core strengths but also opens the door for collaboration with different offices for new ideas, guidance or assistance on products and cross office mentoring. It is great to work for a company that continues to be disruptive in an industry that is long overdue for innovation.

Cons

Most of my cons working at Zillow are related to the constant motion of internal systems and processes. I understand the need to transition systems, especially when the company is in rapid growth mode but at times it is a challenge to operate efficiently and not be distracted by a new policy or procedure that has been implemented.

My advice would be to continue making decisions for long term company growth and employee satisfaction and not shift towards a short term profitability model. The acquisition experience after a year and a half has been very positive and hope it continues. I love working for this organization and excited each day to see what new challenges can be overcome. A saying that is often repeated is, "Winning is fun and we are winning!"

Heres what its REALLY like working as a sales rep at Zillow

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

So the culture, benefits package, commission structure perks are great. A co-worker put it best "You get to be yourself here".

If anyone gets me going about my job I usually can't stop talking for 20 minutes. Most people eventually respond with "It almost sounds like you're making it up".

The management treats the employees with respect and have all done your job before, so the advice/help/coaching all comes from experience and they are super supportive. This place is truly amazing and you do get to be a part of a company that is consistently breaking records and winning month after month. The culture values doing the right thing, enriching the lives of the employees and clients we work with and nobody (Sales or management) is above this "no jerks, support your coworkers" culture all the way up to the top.

Cons

This job isn't for everybody. The people who shine are VERY competitive and driven, and put 100% into their work EVERY day. You have to really WANT this to be here. You don't have to put in more than 40-50 hours, but you do need to work HARD and keep a cheetah pace. If you want the payoff, you need to spend all your time on the phone. (It's like they expect you to work hard to make a lot of money, what a concept right?!?)
    This is a DREAM job if you are willing to put in the work, but there are no shortcuts to being successful in this position and people who can't stay focused on the long term career picture and get stuck in the day to day grind may find it difficult to keep pace.

The highest compliment I can give is this I care deeply for the well being of this company; the name, and the reputation, and that I am Zillow to the agents I get to work with. I feel that way because of the treatment, respect and guidance I have received from management. Keep it up guys!

Best place I've ever been employed

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work environment and benefits are fantastic. I feel like the leadership at the top has a clear direction and can feel that when they speak. Though they are at the top of the real estate game, you can tell the company wants more and are not satisfied staying where they are at.

Cons

It's competitive and they want the best talent....possibly overlooking some people in interviews. But overall it's great.

Keep pressing forward to become better than we are. We're on to great things.

Love it - great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is a ton of energy, excitement, and passion around the products we are building to empower consumers. It is also very fun to be part of a growing company. The executive team is extremely talented and open which creates a transparent and collaborative environment. There is still a start up feel with small product teams and big responsibilities.

I love the people, the culture, and the amazing views.

Cons

The candy wall is a daily temptation.

Keep it up

It's a cool place to work but they tend to keep deadweights around too long.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Start up vibe, free food and drinks and transparency. The CEO is pretty energetic and cares about employees.

Cons

Mortech training team sucks, they don't work and they are disorganized. Too many rules but It's probably because we are a Public Company and have to comply with all these regulations that all Public Companies have to follow.

Overhaul the training team from top to bottom. Maybe have more "Hire Slow, Fire fast" mentality for managers to keep out the deadweights.

love working here - great people and great culture

Current Employee - Economics Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Economics Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow as an intern

Pros

I love working at here. People are talented and have good balance of work and life. Upper management are great, friendly, and responsive.

Cons

There is not a large enough lunch area and most time you have to eat at your desk unless you dine out.

Improve the product and keep the leading position in the industry

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!