Zillow

Updated January 23, 2015
4.2

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, lots of free food, great salary, big impact on the site (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

The best company I've worked for-Z-OC

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture here is sincerely positive. Support is always there. It's not an easy job by any means but there is a team spirit amongst individual teams as well as the office as a whole. It's fun to come to work everyday. Everyone from the top down in the company knows who you are and is approachable. You know you are a part of something. High energy, music playing, encouragement to succeed. Bonuses, lunches, celebrations, events, oh and the best benefits. It's my pleasure to work at Zillow.

Cons

Not an easy job, lots of calling, lots of highs but some lows. Long days at times.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Awesome Internship Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I could go on and on about so many aspects of Zillow that I loved.

To begin, everyone I met at Zillow was so friendly, welcoming, energetic and fun. In addition, they are some of the most intelligent and charismatic people you will ever meet. I had such a great time talking and working with all of them, that I had a extremely hard time leaving them at the end of my summer internship.

From that, the CEO, Spencer Rascoff, is a fantastic example of the bright minds and personalities found at Zillow. He is inspirational through his talks and the exceptional amount of work he puts into the company. And on top of that he is so approachable, friendly and open with employees about everything that is going on in the company and also always open to feedback to improve the company further.

Next, an aspect about Zillow that really stuck out to me was the great work/life balance they had there. People worked so hard at Zillow but overall everyone at the company understood that the life outside of work can be just as important. They also encouraged physical health through things like company-wide physical fitness competitions and having different sports groups formed by different employees.

Zillow also has such a unique place in the industry too. It is an innovative, unique, and growing company and continues to find new ways to help its users constantly. It is also a great size in terms of establishing itself quite well in the industry but also keeping that more personal and fun startup feel and energy.

Plus the experience and knowledge I gained from the internship was fantastic. I never found myself short of cool new things to work on. Also, the kinds of tasks I worked on varied so much and touched many aspects of the site. Overall I learned so much and loved the way the internship was set up for me by my manager.

Then with perks like free food, the Candy Wall, company trips, ZSpeakers, the location, and the gorgeous Seattle view, my experience at Zillow really was an outstanding.

Cons

I have no complaints. I really loved my experience. The only thing I can think of is that in the first couple of days I had a bit of a tough time ramping up to the kind of work I needed to do. But that will probably always happen at any large company that's been around for a long time and it was my first internship too, so overall I wouldn't really consider that a con of the company.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Zillow Response

Sep 10, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this terrific review of your internship! I am so glad that you had a good experience here.

Low salary, high demand, emotional roller coaster. Low moral. Boiler room.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits. Weekly catered lunches and snacks provided.
    Nice office. After a year you can be considered a veteran because of turn over.

Cons

Job hours are beyond a legal right without overtime. It's a class action suit lawyers dream. Job has high call demand that keeps you late and often beyond a 9-10hr day. Lunch breaks are discouraged. Guilt if you have any appointments or need a break. You feel overworked and over regulated. Not a good job for parents.
    To cry or breakdown is normal.
    Hard to make good money your first year. Top sellers are awarded with a t-shirt or swag. High turn over and most new hires won't last 90 days.
    Management can act childish and quickly decide your fate at the company.

A higher base is necessary for quality people. The style of threats to encourage are elementary tactics. Your talk time requirement keeps employees often longer than legal required hours and is a potential lawsuit. Many sales associates are considering lawsuit and record their hours and are building a case for class action.

MyReview

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere/culture. Everyone is nice with no attitude. People work together as a team to solve tough problems. Very rewarding.
    Great work life balance. Schedules are flexible. Good pay and benefits. (stock has been nothing short of amazing) Happily employed here, will work here for some time to come. Would highly recommend to friends, family or anyone to apply here and become a zillow-ite!!

Cons

Commuting to downtown is the biggest drawback for me. But almost all the good jobs are eastside or downtown Seattle. As it turns out, both commutes are not the best. So what is one to do?

Keep on keeping on.

Zillow Response

Sep 7, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback and the review.

Zillow is a great place to work, for a while.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a long list of positives. Great base salary, strong commission structure if you're a performer, excellent location, nice people, amazing benefits (including stocked snack-kitchen, occasional free lunch catering, company-paid ORCA card, stock options when hired and again upon receiving a good annual review, etc). They start you off with relatively easy sales goals to encourage you. The product works well for some clients. Potential for advancement, if you're a rock-star out of hundreds. Great Monday-through-Friday hours. They've recently announced the purchase of a major competitor, and overall I believe the company's future is bright.

Cons

Price points that change wildly - which often infuriates clients. General disregard for their paying customers (not in what they preach, but in their actions and how you're allowed to work with or help them when things aren't going well - which can be often). When their ad products aren't working, they'll blame the customer, then you. Massive turnover of salespeople - they want the top 20% and are more than willing to churn the bottom 80%. Often-changing (downward) commission structures and ever-increasing minimum requirements, with a constant threat of write-ups and termination. Most who are hired and trained are gone within a few months, few make it to 2 years.

You'll work on a team of about 9-12 fellow salespersons. If you're not top-of-the-top, not just on your team but out of about 200+, don't expect upward mobility. You're held accountable for your cancellation rate, but clients regularly cancel because the product isn't working. Much of your time is spent calling real estate agents who often, literally, tell you how much they hate your company and think it's bad for their industry. You're calling potential customers who've been bombarded by the same calls now for years.

Commission structure with "accelerators" if you're having a good month vs. your goal, but which has devastating "decelerators" if you're not. You can sell a certain dollar amount early in your career and get paid a strong percentage on it, but sell double or triple that a year later and get paid next to nothing because your commission percentage is tied to ever-increasing minimum monthly sales goals. Also, expect a lot of charge-backs. You'll be selling one-year contracts and will be paid on six months of its value. If someone cancels early, you'll be charged back for the cancellation, which is pretty standard in this type of sales. Your goal is to find clients who the product works for, then get them to buy more and more. Strangely, if a client purchases a one-year contract (for which you were paid on the six-month value only), completes it and stays much longer, but eventually ends that contract and buys another - you won't be paid on the new purchase because they canceled the old one. (That's right... even though the customer completed their annual contract, and then some, the company will still punish you if the client drops that territory/contract by not paying you on the new contract you get the client to enter. In other words, if the client books a year contract, completes it, and leaves there is no charge back. However, if they do exactly that and then buy more from you, you don't get paid on the new sale, which is a roundabout way of getting a charge back!). Your goals and commission percentage are based on your "delivered" sales, so too many of these completed-but-eventually-canceled contracts get deducted from your totals and can really hurt. Naturally, the longer you're there the more cancellations you'll have.

There are team Sales Managers who tend to be very nice but do very little sales-managing (depending on which one you work for). Overall, it tends to be a motivation-by-fear environment for the majority, but an amazing place to work if you can consistently (and I do mean consistently) deal with the pressure and produce sales. But don't slip! The longer you're there, the stiffer your requirements become. As your book builds and you end up with hundreds of clients, you'll find yourself doing more and more customer service-related tasks, with far less time to cold call (high volumes of cold-calling are required to keep your business healthy). If you're one of the top three or four guys, they'll hire you an assistant so you can keep selling. If you're not, either your sales or your service may have to suffer. They have no problem firing you and giving the sizable book of business you've grown to the next guy so try to keep the plates spinning! Don't, and you're dead.

You never know, incidentally, what your commission percentage is. It's very difficult (impossible) to look at your sales and figure out how your paycheck is shaping up because of accelerators, decelerators and strange chargeback rules.

Overall, I'd say this place, in the sales department anyway, is the employer version of a Stepford Wife. Really good in many ways, but look out if you start to see a twitch.

They will listen to ideas regarding how to improve the company. I don't believe they will listen to ideas regarding advice to management. That said, they have to do far more to improve their position in the eyes of their paying (and potential) customers, and the industry as a whole. Yes, buyers and sellers like to check Zillow out and, yes, advertisers will want to follow. But don't forget who pays you! You need MLS's and agents just as badly as they need you (more, in fact) and their numbers aren't infinite. A lack of respect for them, starting with telemarketing practices and following through to how we treat those who the product doesn't work for, is harming the long-term health of the company. Make all agents, not just those who pay a lot and find success with your product, feel included and important if you truly want to gain acceptance and, therefore, access. I believe the company places high value on most of its employees outside the sales department. Inside the sales department, you're literally only as good as your sales and call-time yesterday. It can make even a consistent producer feel like they're on the outside looking in. Commit to your sales employees, longevity and otherwise, as strongly as you do your other employees, and as strongly as you want them to commit to you. If huge turn-over in the rest of the company wouldn't be healthy, how can it be healthy in sales?

Once a consultant has proven themselves with you for two years, offer a work-from-home option.

You better enjoy calling people.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits package. All of your medical is paid for, and they also give you an ORCA card so you can get downtown. Great atmosphere. They keep the kitchen stocked with good food, and you occasionally get free lunch from a catering company. Most of the people there are cool.

Cons

Their turnover rate is super high for inside sales, and they kinda dont like to talk about it. Of the 12 people in my training class, 1/2 of them quit within 2 months. We had a really great trainer, and we also had a really bad trainer. She would shush people like she was putting a niece in check, and I always wondered why none of her superiors ever addressed her on how unprofessional she was.

They do give you free lunches often, but you pretty much eat them at your desk because they really frown on someone actually taking a lunch break. One of my fellow classmates was asked if he was ok because he took a 45 minute lunch once.

They want you to be over 210 minutes on the phone each day which is arbitrary if your making sales. Ive seen and overheard plenty of top sales people barely pick up a phone all day or go over an hour on the phone. They do threaten to take away your inbound calls or emails if you dont meet your time quota, which will ultimately make it harder to make more sales.

Everything is transparent so you can see peoples sales, minutes and call time anytime you want. They want people to be competitive and make that hot sale. Which is the opposite of what the CEO preaches. We were told to respect that we are asking for real estate agents hard earned money, but when they listen to your calls and critique you for not making a one call close, it makes you wonder what really is the quality of the relationship to the customer.

Lastly, taking time off is not the best thing to do. It's highly frowned upon, because if your on vacation your not at your desk making sales. End of the month is especially a big NO NO. If your a top earner....your chances probably improve a little.

They love to say how transparent they are.....but they really aren't. Be more real about your expectations with your incoming class. This job is an emotional roller coaster. When you sell your on a high, and when you ....it feels like a wasted day. If your not selling hot like some of the other salespeople, your gonna be critiqued for one thing or another.

Zillow Response

Oct 3, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

There's lots of important and interesting information in here for me. Thank you for posting it.
    We do strive to be as transparent as possible -- sounds like we could do better, according to your
    ... More

Inside Sales Associate

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Z talks, great product, smart hard-working people, catered lunches, cool office, young company, incredible leadership, work hard play hard.

Cons

SLAVE SHIP. glorified telemarketer, preferential treatment for sucking up to the right people, a lack of care for employees. Churn and burn! High turnover rate. No matter how good you are at what you do, you will be treated as if your just a number.

The sales metrics for all offices should be the same. Come up with ways to help sales associates feel less like they are in a cage. Give them the freedom to create their own schedule as long as they are hitting their numbers working their butts off and generating revenue. Really consider management roles and if the people moving into them are up for the task. The right manager for these teams can keep top performers from leaving the company and the wrong managers can ruin the entire company for employees who are passionate about the product and Zillow. Encourage employees to take a five minute walk outside to get fresh air. People will perform better and stay with the company. Prevent burn outs. Performances will increase if they feel they can take a lunch or step away from the phones for just five minutes believe it or not. Set the example that the client matters. Stop letting reps sell horrible zip codes just for the commission only to have an angry client down the road. Stop calling on the same agents who are not and never will be interested. Stop qualifying unqualified real estate agents. Stop letting poor sales representatives get away with lousy work and unethical customer service.

Best Job I've Ever Had.

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plain and simple, it's a great job if you put in the work in. It truly changed my life and taught me the value of hard work. You're working for the largest real estate network online. You're literally working for the biggest thing going in real estate, and it's only getting bigger. The opportunities are what you make of them. It's a phone sales job, so the harder and longer you work, the more you succeed. It's competitive, and it should be competitive cause that motivates you to make the most money both for yourself and the company. As long as you do your work, management allows you to grow and is always there to listen when you need help. All of the people in our office are very supportive and friendly. Great environment. The money is phenomenal and the perks of the job are great- health, vision, dental, free food, and the opportunity to make six figures if, once again, you put the work in. I literally had no past sales experience, struggled a lot at first, but with guidance from everyone, hard work, and determination, I literally went from zero dollars in my bank account to making six figures in the course of about eight months.

Cons

I personally don't have many cons, but it's a very difficult job. It's not for every one. If you're looking for quick easy money, don't show up to Zillow. You need to come in ready and energetic every day. You need to be able to deal with rejection. You need to put in the time and hours. It's not a job where you can slack off or just waste the day. You show up to work, keep pushing, and you'll be rewarded.

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. I agree with you completely -- Zillow is a great company, and a great place to work. Our sales positions are not easy, but if you are ready to work hard and you have a great ... More

Zillow is amazing

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking for a company that really cares about culture and happy employees, that's Zillow to a tee. You're working with talented team members who are really passionate about their jobs, and their role in moving Zillow forward.

Cons

I personally have no issues with Zillow, working there is awesome.

Fantastic.
    Thank you!

One of the fastest growing tech companies

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Snacks, 401k, Gym, Medical, Dental, Great PTO and more importantly great co-workers

Cons

As we continue to grow its becoming increasingly difficult to know who does what.

Do not become too process oriented

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review.
    You're right, that it is getting harder to know who does what. The "zall wall" (our internal employee intranet) has helped me a lot -- it allows me to figure out who does
    ... More