Zillow

www.zillow.com

A hip relaxed, and open work experience

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Open office space letting you feel part of the team. Frequent group presentations encouraging growth and ingenuity. A positive culture of lateral and vertical thinking.

Cons

Goals can sometimes not be clearly stated, or identified. A disjointed connection with the bigger picture of the company direction and goals.

Allowing different departments to be more fully involved in the larger picture

Zillow Response

Nov 6, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    thank you for the feedback. It's actually very helpful for me to see. I agree that we (I) should/can do a better job of communicating how people's goals are connected with the bigger picture
    ... More

Work to live, don't live to work

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You CAN make 100k first year
    The product you are selling CAN change lives and work for your clients
    Upper management (executives) seem to care about the employees - local management does not
    This is a great first job in sales (they will hire anybody) - if you can succeed at Zillow, you can succeed anywhere
    You will build relationships with outstanding people all across the country
    If you are one of the few, you will be fast tracked out of inside sales (12 -18 months)

Cons

LOUD - you will have people screaming, cheering, clapping, noise makers, loud music, etc ALL DAY EVERYDAY
    Its a non stop pep rally and the farthest thing from a professional sales environment you will ever see.

Revolving door - 90% turnover - don't believe otherwise

35k base salary

Long hours - expect 10-12 hours a day to succeed for your first year - sometimes more

Job outlook - This job never gets easier, don't believe the hype. You will make even more calls tomorrow than you did today. There are 200+ sales reps calling the same zip codes, talking to the same agents, about the same product day after day.

Call time - you are REQUIRED to TALK 210 minutes everyday (no, the phone ringing doesn't count towards it)
    You will be expected to hit this number every day. Skip lunch, come in early, and stay late but for gods sake don't miss call time. (this correlates greatly to the 90% turnover).

You will be told to stand up constantly. Some managers will even take your chair away from you.

You will be discouraged from ever taking time off. Management pretends they need advance notice to take your PTO. They will railroad you if you are sick and expect that you work anyway.

You will sell terrible advertising packages because you have a quota to hit. You know its not worth what it costs but you'll sell it anyway. (This is a flaw because the product can work well when sold correctly)

The OC office needs an influx of culture from Seattle - you can have fun and still remain professional. OC hasn't found that balance.

Get rid of call time - manage on activity (calls, conversations, sales, etc), not minutes

Pricing - Find a better formula. Its obscene in many areas. Talk to the front line regarding lead quality and quantity. There is a problem when leads cost hundreds of dollars each.

Nov 12, 2014

My name is Doug Slotkin and I run the Inside Sales group at Zillow - thanks for taking the time to pass along your feedback - I'd like to address your comments:

• You're absolutely right in that

writer

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

great company, cutting edge, smart, fluid, fast, industry leader

Cons

hard to think of anything negative

keep it up!

Zillow Response

Oct 3, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you!

"Yes men" succeed. Run by spineless leader

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Snacks. Not everyone there is bad. They have bathrooms. The office views are beautiful. The holiday parties are fun.

Cons

The CEO is nothing more than a PR puppet. The real decision maker is the CRO. Whatever he says goes. Core values of the company are nothing more than a recruitment tool. They are not honestly followed. People who don't do jack, don't get let go.

I don't know how you sleep at night knowing how you mistreat the people who do most of the work and live for Zillow. 2014 has been the year of ridiculous decision making and morally bankrupt managers.

Zillow Response

Nov 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Ouch. This one hurts. Obviously, I disagree with your opinion, but you are certainly entitled to it.
    I run Zillow transparently, honestly, morally, and efficiently. I care deeply about our
    ... More

Good company, good people, boring job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Free food, nice people, nice offices, room for growth, nice benefits, stock options, decent training program.

Cons

Can't speak for other departments, but sales and account management is dull. You're working in a call center - talking to real estate agents, having the same conversation ALL DAY LONG. Team leads are supportive and my manager was a nice guy, but if you don't enjoy being on the phone and want more action in a job, this isn't for you.
    They watch you more than you think and the first month is really more of a trial run - come in early, stay late, take a short lunch or you're sacked - simple as that. If you're in sales, prepare for a grind - if you're good at it, theres money to be made. If you're not - pack your bags. Account management - don't get used to a lot of money - you won't make it. Enjoy talking to real estate agents and having the same conversation every day all day. Your headset and free popcorn will be constant companions.

allow employees time to blossom at their job before firing them.

Nov 12, 2014

I run the Inside Sales org at Zillow and thanks for taking the time to review your experience.

I'd like to address your concerns:

• As with any job, there is a certain amount of routine that's

Hard Work Unlimited Growth

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're willing to work hard and keep the customers well-being in mind you will go far in this company. They care more about the goodness of people and the success of their agents and employes then they do about profit. Endless benefits and feeling of being part of the Zillow family has kept me going through even the tough times. The company has changed my life and the life of my three daughters. We are forever grateful for the opportunity. The CEO CFO and all directors of the sales department have their ear to the ground and are open to any suggestions that employees offer. There is no cap on how much even a new salesman can make if he does it the right way.

Cons

If you come into the company and think that being a star sales person is all you need to do you are wrong. Long-term sustainable growth of the customer and of you as a sales person is the only thing that matters. There are no cons for those who are willing to work hard.

I would like to see more opportunities for those who really enjoy teaching less experienced sales people how to excel. It would be nice to see a program that designates weekly lunches with employees who are doing it right and brand-new employees.

Zillow Response

Oct 3, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

This is great feedback for me, for future employees, and for current employees. Thank you for posting this.

The best company I've worked for-Z-OC

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture here is sincerely positive. Support is always there. It's not an easy job by any means but there is a team spirit amongst individual teams as well as the office as a whole. It's fun to come to work everyday. Everyone from the top down in the company knows who you are and is approachable. You know you are a part of something. High energy, music playing, encouragement to succeed. Bonuses, lunches, celebrations, events, oh and the best benefits. It's my pleasure to work at Zillow.

Cons

Not an easy job, lots of calling, lots of highs but some lows. Long days at times.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Awesome Internship Experience

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I could go on and on about so many aspects of Zillow that I loved.

To begin, everyone I met at Zillow was so friendly, welcoming, energetic and fun. In addition, they are some of the most intelligent and charismatic people you will ever meet. I had such a great time talking and working with all of them, that I had a extremely hard time leaving them at the end of my summer internship.

From that, the CEO, Spencer Rascoff, is a fantastic example of the bright minds and personalities found at Zillow. He is inspirational through his talks and the exceptional amount of work he puts into the company. And on top of that he is so approachable, friendly and open with employees about everything that is going on in the company and also always open to feedback to improve the company further.

Next, an aspect about Zillow that really stuck out to me was the great work/life balance they had there. People worked so hard at Zillow but overall everyone at the company understood that the life outside of work can be just as important. They also encouraged physical health through things like company-wide physical fitness competitions and having different sports groups formed by different employees.

Zillow also has such a unique place in the industry too. It is an innovative, unique, and growing company and continues to find new ways to help its users constantly. It is also a great size in terms of establishing itself quite well in the industry but also keeping that more personal and fun startup feel and energy.

Plus the experience and knowledge I gained from the internship was fantastic. I never found myself short of cool new things to work on. Also, the kinds of tasks I worked on varied so much and touched many aspects of the site. Overall I learned so much and loved the way the internship was set up for me by my manager.

Then with perks like free food, the Candy Wall, company trips, ZSpeakers, the location, and the gorgeous Seattle view, my experience at Zillow really was an outstanding.

Cons

I have no complaints. I really loved my experience. The only thing I can think of is that in the first couple of days I had a bit of a tough time ramping up to the kind of work I needed to do. But that will probably always happen at any large company that's been around for a long time and it was my first internship too, so overall I wouldn't really consider that a con of the company.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Zillow Response

Sep 10, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this terrific review of your internship! I am so glad that you had a good experience here.

Low salary, high demand, emotional roller coaster. Low moral. Boiler room.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits. Weekly catered lunches and snacks provided.
    Nice office. After a year you can be considered a veteran because of turn over.

Cons

Job hours are beyond a legal right without overtime. It's a class action suit lawyers dream. Job has high call demand that keeps you late and often beyond a 9-10hr day. Lunch breaks are discouraged. Guilt if you have any appointments or need a break. You feel overworked and over regulated. Not a good job for parents.
    To cry or breakdown is normal.
    Hard to make good money your first year. Top sellers are awarded with a t-shirt or swag. High turn over and most new hires won't last 90 days.
    Management can act childish and quickly decide your fate at the company.

A higher base is necessary for quality people. The style of threats to encourage are elementary tactics. Your talk time requirement keeps employees often longer than legal required hours and is a potential lawsuit. Many sales associates are considering lawsuit and record their hours and are building a case for class action.

MyReview

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere/culture. Everyone is nice with no attitude. People work together as a team to solve tough problems. Very rewarding.
    Great work life balance. Schedules are flexible. Good pay and benefits. (stock has been nothing short of amazing) Happily employed here, will work here for some time to come. Would highly recommend to friends, family or anyone to apply here and become a zillow-ite!!

Cons

Commuting to downtown is the biggest drawback for me. But almost all the good jobs are eastside or downtown Seattle. As it turns out, both commutes are not the best. So what is one to do?

Keep on keeping on.

Zillow Response

Sep 7, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the feedback and the review.