Zillow

Updated September 20, 2014
4.1

Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Pros
  • The work life balance is generally has gotten a lot better since the startup days (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to work with real estate agents all day (in 10 reviews)

• Call time is huge, micromanagement, with managers are only looking out for themselves (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company ok job

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

This company works really hard to keep their employees happy. Between the snacks, happy hours, prizes and pep talks it is a fun place to work for. The CEO makes it a point to seem very involved in the sales team and I do like the managers. Compensation is fair if your are able to sell.

Cons

The company is great but the job sucks. It is not fun to sit on the phone all day and cold call agents who have been called a million times before by the same company. I have done inside sales before, and it was not this bad simply because selling to agents sucks. Zillow is successful and growing fast but it doesn't change the fact that the people you are selling to are tired of getting calls from Zillow. If you like cold calling this job could be good for you because the product probably does work... But it doesn't change the fact your calling the same agents who have been called 15 times before.

Management is pretty good about being transparent about how annoying the job can be. This is probably due to the fact the job has a high turnover rate but sometimes management treats you like you can and will be replaced. Can't say I blame them though.

Poor Management in Facilities

Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most employees were nice to work with - Nice view - Free benefits

Cons

Manager and co-workers in dept

Need strategic planning and clear direction! Manager too busy to lead team effectively!

Exciting ride with invaluable experience...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

I enjoy the transparency that our company offers. This starts at the top and is consistent across upper management. Regardless of which office you are located in, the cultural perks tend to follow with each locations special flavor. Being a division of Zillow in Lincoln still allows us to operate independently and focus on our core strengths but also opens the door for collaboration with different offices for new ideas, guidance or assistance on products and cross office mentoring. It is great to work for a company that continues to be disruptive in an industry that is long overdue for innovation.

Cons

Most of my cons working at Zillow are related to the constant motion of internal systems and processes. I understand the need to transition systems, especially when the company is in rapid growth mode but at times it is a challenge to operate efficiently and not be distracted by a new policy or procedure that has been implemented.

My advice would be to continue making decisions for long term company growth and employee satisfaction and not shift towards a short term profitability model. The acquisition experience after a year and a half has been very positive and hope it continues. I love working for this organization and excited each day to see what new challenges can be overcome. A saying that is often repeated is, "Winning is fun and we are winning!"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place I've ever been employed

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work environment and benefits are fantastic. I feel like the leadership at the top has a clear direction and can feel that when they speak. Though they are at the top of the real estate game, you can tell the company wants more and are not satisfied staying where they are at.

Cons

It's competitive and they want the best talent....possibly overlooking some people in interviews. But overall it's great.

Keep pressing forward to become better than we are. We're on to great things.

Love it - great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is a ton of energy, excitement, and passion around the products we are building to empower consumers. It is also very fun to be part of a growing company. The executive team is extremely talented and open which creates a transparent and collaborative environment. There is still a start up feel with small product teams and big responsibilities.

I love the people, the culture, and the amazing views.

Cons

The candy wall is a daily temptation.

Keep it up

Great place to work - but there are limits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefit package, phenomenal colleagues, and lots of free food. Plus, getting to be part of something really big and really cool; bringing transparency in real estate to everyone, not just the most educated or with the most to gain.

Executive staff really pushes "zillow culture" and funds lunches, speakers, and events to keep it going. In Lincoln, the food is usually from local restaurants instead of the national chains. The speakers are typically leaders of well known companies, political figures, or amazing people doing amazing things. A recent speaker was from a non profit building schools in Africa.

It's also cool that in such a huge company the top brass are very accessible, friendly, and really care about the workers doing the entry level jobs. I've emailed the CEO, Spencer, and actually received a friendly response in return. I don't think you'll find that at most companies, especially one the size of Zillow.

Cons

Working in a small office outside Seattle, I feel like I'm unable to be promoted or change roles because of the limited jobs and job types in my office.

I'm hearing about the tremendous growth of the company all the time, but I'm not seeing it in my office and I'm not seeing it in the way of expanded opportunities for me or fellow co-workers. To take the next step in my career, I'll probably have to leave Zillow.

Think about how to keep motivated and hardworking employees rewarded and how someone could really make a long term career at Zillow in all the offices. Also, post internal promotions instead of hand picking staff to promote. I've seen unposted staff changes/promotions in nearly every department. You never know if someone from another department may be qualified or interested in the role. When jobs are limited, everyone should get a fair chance to compete for them.

On the same note, I think Zillow could benefit from utilizing all resources from coast to coast. With so many offices, can Zillow allow for employees to join teams from other offices? If you already have a great employee trained with a proven work history, why not keep them and allow them to do roles that most greatly benefit the company at large, instead of the best role for them in their office?

So that's my $.02

Zillow Response

May 6, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your feedback. And thank you for calling me accessible -- I appreciate it!

As you probably know, I am very excited about our opportunity for Mortech and Zillow Mortgages, and the
    ... More

Fun culture, with a great work-life ballance

Current Employee - User Experience Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company culture is relaxed and fun. The people are passionate about their work without being over-driven. I feel like I have an impact, which is very impressive in a medium-large company. Zillow has many morale events with great food and drinks. Zillow often hosts major influencers in business and politics to speak and answer questions, which can be very interesting. Free espresso drinks, anytime!

Cons

Not as nimble as some smaller companies, but for the size they are more nimble than can be expected.

Lazy Staff, Horrible Atmosphere, Dishonest

Former Employee - Ad Operations  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Ad Operations in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to get to, great food in the breakroom

Cons

The leadership is horrible, they lack the ability to communicate and give guidance. Projects are not completed on time, mainly due to the fact that nobody actually talks to each other. The employees are far from professional, they show up late, blast music all day, take multiple hour long breaks, dishonest (like the company itself).

Take a look at yourself and think, would anyone besides Zillow consider hiring me? Take middle management and clean house, if they do not perform, they should not have the position. Don't allow managers to demean, straight out lie to, and force out employees. Switch around the rules you are breaking and the rules you discipline for, you have them backwards.

May 21, 2014HR Director

My name is Tony Small and I run Ad Operations at Zillow. We’re really sorry you had this experience. We pride ourselves on having a transparent, honest, and hard-working culture. I would be really ... More

Churn/Burn to the extreme - Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay
    Good view from the office
    Lara Bars/V8's
    The people who work there
    Nerf gun wars are permitted

Cons

Sales Process - Beyond short sales cycle. One call close or bust

Most managers need to go through an HR class so that they don't spout illegal information

Illegal work hours - although the company will say youre only working 8 hours in a day. Because beyond that, nothing is approved. Good luck hitting goal working 8 hours a day.

Loud, POUNDING awful music all day everyday.

If you do not sit there and make 150 calls in a day, you will fail. There is no support. You manage your clients by yourself (although they seem to be working on this).

COUNTLESS UNNECESSARY emails that will basically ruin your day.

Get more products. Stop raising prices to appease stockholders. You are pricing yourself OUT of the business. Work on your reputation in the marketplace.

May 15, 2014

I'd like to address your review and ask that, if you are open to it, I can learn more about the serious nature of some of these concerns.

The majority of our sales are not one call closes - many
    ... More

Best job I've had

Current Employee - Front End Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Front End Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been a software developer for almost 10 years, including 2+ years at Amazon.

Zillow is the best job I've ever had.

Zillow treats you like a highly valued employee, not just a cog in a machine.

The real estate space has great potential for disruption, and Zillow is positioned perfectly to take advantage of it.

Work hours are reasonable. I leave my work at work. No work email on my phone, no pager.

There's catered lunches at least once a month. Free snacks and soda and cereal and milk every day.

There's a game room with Foosball, ping pong, shuffleboard, Xbox and N64. People play games daily for a short break from writing code (Mario Kart and Smash Bros are huge).

The CEO and the Founder interact with employees and are very personable.

Teammates are smart and generous with their time to help new hires ramp up.

Ramping up to speed does not take as long as at other companies.

Cons

There is no 401(k) match.

Offer a 401(k) match.

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!