Zillow Reviews

1. Great company with great opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zillow is a great company to work for. Salaries are competitive and they make a strong effort to keep them fair as well as even with the market. Zillow is also very fair with raises and stock equity grants.

As far as personal growth, Zillow encourages you in its core values to Own It. You get ahead at Zillow by owning big projects, taking big swings, and succeeding at them.

Zillow as a large company is also very generous. Every year employees get a very cool gift that has a purpose, to make us better at our jobs. Last year was FitBits (good health means good work), this year it was Kindle Fires (smarter employees are better employees).

Cons

Zillow has historically been weak on training, but that is changing quickly. I think the biggest con is that it can be difficult to be in an office other than main headquarters, and can also be difficult to work on a business that is not the core real estate/for sale business.

Advice to Management

Keep being open, keep sharing numbers as freely as you do. Be willing to make tough decisions when they need to be made, even when they involve people.

The Best

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Culture of Zillow has continued as we have grown in size. The leadership has done an amazing job of keeping the transparency and collaborative culture alive and well. It's odd to say but every employee I talk to loves coming into work. I never hear someone groaning about 'another day at the office'. The company invests in it's employees and provides a safe, comfortable, and career growing environment.

Cons

The gym at the Zillow Tower is not a full gym. Yes, this is my only gripe.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, there will be changes, but you have continued to hire and keep the best employees. Spencer is amazing and I love that Lloyd and Rich continue to be involved. I have never heard a manager from the top down say something that indicated they didn't have their finger on the pulse of Zillow.

Zillow Response

Dec 11, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Awesome. Thank you!!!
    Yes, Rich and Lloyd remain very involved (probably more involved than most people realize!). Lloyd mostly focuses on product and strategy issues, and Rich is very involved
    ... More

Love Zillow so Much

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Love the people, benefits, culture, openness of the office. Truly the best position I have had in my career. I have never been so happy at a job as I am now. I love the review process and the core values.

Cons

401K match was an issue for some time, but management looked into it and fixed it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, it always seems that you are willing to listen to your employees.

best job I've had

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow (Less than a year)

Pros

-Ridiculously fast growth and fantastic culture.
    -Hack week is probably the most fun I've had in my software dev career.
    -The people around me are the best balance of passionate, fun, yet professional that I've worked with in the industry.
    -There's always a lot of interesting work to do and problems to solve, but I'm still able to consistently work 40-45 hours a week.

Cons

Not quite elite compensation package, The company seems to be trying to hire the top candidates, but offered a smaller comp package than what I was offered from Twitter and Facebook, and no free (daily) meals or parking.

Advice to Management

Keep the fun culture. You guys are doing great.

6. Good while it lasted

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Good benefit while it lasted, flexibly working environment

Cons

too much bureaucracy, you have to be a favorite of someone to hold your job.

Fantastic company!

Current Employee - CX Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CX Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership. Management is all very approachable and really tries to advocate for their employes. Everyone's ideas and needs are listened to and put to action. The executives are engaging to listen to. Even in a room of a thousand people they make their speeches feel personable.

The hiring process is really thorough, but if you get a job here you'll see why. Everybody that works at this company is a perfect fit with their team. Zillow sees the importance of company culture and does a great job of making sure that their employes work well together. I believe that everyone on my team genuinely likes one another.

There are a lot of perks for working here, and HR is striving to make them even better. Can't wait for the 401k matching to start.

Cons

I think people on the sales team have way too much pressure on them and it trickles down to others.

Advice to Management

I didn't think I could like this company more than I already did, but after our annual meeting I love Zillow. The goals and values of this company are ones that I'm proud to work towards. I am semi-new to the company and wish we had more meetings like this because I learned more in one day than I have in a few months about the company. HR is awesome at ramping people up and getting them excited to work at Zillow, but hearing all of the execs speak and hearing each team's goals and plans really helped me to see the whole picture and realize all the work that goes into running the site.

Zillow Response

Jan 6, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review. I agree that the annual meeting in December helped get everyone on the same page, and also fired us up for 2015. It is a huge investment in time, energy and money, but ... More

Best decision I've made!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I start... Zillow is a complete 180 from my last employer and I have to say that coming here has been one of the best decisions I've made in my career.

- Transparency: As an employee, I feel like I'm really in the "know" with where the company is headed/what's going on. This is incredibly valuable.

- Fun: The work culture is genuinely fun and engaging. Teams celebrate wins together, and there have been great culture events to keep everyone happy and motivated.

- Work/life balance: This was really lacking in my previous job, and I'm happy to say that I've been able to maintain a healthy balance between work and my home life. This isn't important to everyone, but it is definitely important to me. I feel like a person again!

- Benefits: AWESOME benefits, especially for those with a family.

I feel like I have learned a lot and have had great exposure to folks from all levels of experience. It's a flat organization without red tape, and the conversations I have with my peers are open and honest.

Cons

Getting started was a little slow due to lack of training in my department, but I'm the type that learns by doing anyway so it didn't take long to hit the ground running.

Advice to Management

With our growth, please continue to maintain the culture that we know and love! I worry that this will falter, but have faith that it's being monitored.

Hi,
    Spencer here. Thank you for your review. I am really happy that you are enjoying your Zillow experience in our Seattle office.
    I agree that we could be doing a better job of employee training
    ... More

Its sales: take the good with the bad

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Excellent pay. I made 90k my first year. Most managers are awesome and care about us. Health package is top notch. The product actually works. Most of my teamates are fantastic. people who say its like boiler room are just not being fair or honest. I am not pushy at all and I make really good money. My clients who listen to my advice kick but.

Cons

Long hours. They can work on noise control. Call time is good metric but there better metrics to drive business forward. dollars per min or number of product demonstrations should be weighed in when it comes to daily activity goals.

Dec 9, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. Looks like you are in inside sales, probably in our agent sales group which sells Zillow advertising to "Premier Agents" around the country. I agree with you -- we are NOT a ... More

If you want to grow your career, Zillow is the place

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Leadership is fantastic 2) Work is challenging 3) Coworkers are authentic and caring 4) Massive opportunity for growth 5) Benefits are getting better --- namely, 401k match, maternity leave

Cons

I truly love working at Zillow. As the company grows, there is certainly a bit more red tape and process. This can be challenging. However, leadership is aware of this and makes an effort to combat this.

Dec 9, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. Yes, I am definitely aware of the challenges that we face as we grow. And I am committed to minimizing red tape and process (except where helpful!). We have to remain nimble ... More

Hands Down the Best Job I Have Had.

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and driven. Problems are tackled collaboratively and successes are celebrated before the next goal is tackled. I love that an environment of continual learning is encouraged, from bringing in speakers to sharing tech and industry info via email. I feel like work-life balanced is encouraged as people seem focused on work at work, and then communication slows way down after 5pm and on the weekends. It is great!

Cons

I can't think of one at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing.