Zillow Reviews

• San Francisco, CA Area
4.6
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Zillow is an excellent company to work for and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

- Awesome People
    - Collaborative Environment
    - Food Perks
    - Happy Hours
    - Pet (Dog) Friendly "Never really seen anyone bring a cat to work?"

Cons

The misconception from agents that we are trying to take over the industry.

Advice to Management

Stay quick and nimble. Be clear on employee career path.

2. Typical Tech Company. San Francisco office is nice, but doesn't get quite the recognition that the Seattle office does.

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Great leadership and positive momentum from upper management. The pay is decent. Mostly stress free environment (at least for engineering). Management is fairly lenient about taking time off during the day and working from home (for now at least). Stock options are generous. Finally did 401k matching. Kudos. We appreciate you all changing your mind about that.

Cons

San Francisco office management feels distant and almost lacking direction. I attribute that to the Trulia acquisition where hopefully the misfits of Zillow San Francisco can feel like they are part of the group once that comes into play.

The San Francisco office is mostly a a tech centric office that isn't as vibrant as other offices. Don't get me wrong, I'm a quiet egghead myself, but it can be a little drab with lack of other personalities.

The bathroom. It's nasty and we have to walk a city block to get to it. Thankfully we are moving soon.

Advice to Management

Find a way to bring the excitement of Seattle to your satellite offices.

Zillow Response

Mar 17, 2015CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi,
    I appreciate the feedback. The Zillow SF office is moving into the Trulia space in a few weeks (hopefully by end of March) which I think will help a lot with the issues you are concerned about
    ... More

Love my job and the people I work with!

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Besides the typically perks you get working at a tech company, (free food, weekly HH's, offsite events, etc) the overall culture here is awesome! I can honestly say the best part of working here is my coworkers. People come from various backgrounds, and I dig the diversity! Everyone is really smart, respectful and overall just a fun group to be around. Also, we have a good gender ratio here (as a female, that's pretty important to me) which can be difficult in tech companies. Also, dog friendly = awesome!

Cons

Trying to keep track of all the new people getting hired!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jan 19, 2015Vice President, Rentals

Thank you for your great review of Zillow and the San Francisco office. I'm glad you are enjoying our culture and smart diverse coworkers. I agree it is great to see so many female tech folks ... More

5. Great company with great opportunity

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zillow is a great company to work for. Salaries are competitive and they make a strong effort to keep them fair as well as even with the market. Zillow is also very fair with raises and stock equity grants.

As far as personal growth, Zillow encourages you in its core values to Own It. You get ahead at Zillow by owning big projects, taking big swings, and succeeding at them.

Zillow as a large company is also very generous. Every year employees get a very cool gift that has a purpose, to make us better at our jobs. Last year was FitBits (good health means good work), this year it was Kindle Fires (smarter employees are better employees).

Cons

Zillow has historically been weak on training, but that is changing quickly. I think the biggest con is that it can be difficult to be in an office other than main headquarters, and can also be difficult to work on a business that is not the core real estate/for sale business.

Advice to Management

Keep being open, keep sharing numbers as freely as you do. Be willing to make tough decisions when they need to be made, even when they involve people.

Great Office, Culture and people!

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zillow is widely known now for being a great company but what I think people don't see is how awesome our SF office is. I saw the other review and it blew my mind. We have the best mix of a start-up feel here in SF but being part of a great and stable company. Our teams are small, everyone's voice matters. I think we unanimously can say in the past year we've had such an awesome improvement in culture thanks to our Office Manager, Recruiter and HR person (you all rock by the way). I saw the other person compared us to our Seattle HQ. Now, I can say confidently, I've probably been to that office more than he/she has. It IS a cool office, no doubt but I would a thousand times over pick SF. Seattle is a bit corporate and doesn't have the personal vibe SF does. If you talk to your manager in SF, our directors or our COO here you WILL be heard. Don't know what other office or company you can say that about.

Cons

No cons for this office per say. But I think as the company grows more transparency is always good. It seems that it's hard to sometimes keep that up which creates a lot of confusion and anxiety down in the trenches. But, I feel that we're in good hands with Spencer and I trust he does what he needs to do.

Advice to Management

Keep salaries competitive. Sometimes new people coming in seem to boast about their comp and it isn't always in line with what people who have been here longer are making.

Zillow Response

Nov 20, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

THANK YOU THANK YOU for this great review. You made my day. I am so glad that you are happy at Zillow and I agree with you that the SF office is strong. It is the center of our rentals initiative ... More

Great Team Environment

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the office is working on a very broad range of products and projects, but it feels like everyone is rowing the same boat. Everyone is working hard trying to build a great experience for both Renters and Property Managers....and trying to get more of both using our sites and services.

Great office culture. Lots of nice perks like Clipper Benefits, lots of free snacks and beverages (big variety), and weekly happy hours.

Cons

Being in a smaller remote office, there can be a bit less room for career advancement. However, this is improving with management's encouragement of cross office/team promotions and an expanding local office with growing teams. In addition, because of the office culture, every one is empowered to make improvements to the company, our websites, and our services. This gives everyone a sense of ownership, which makes working here more enjoyable.

Zillow Response

Sep 5, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. I"m glad you are enjoying your time at Zillow. The SF office is a great office, and I love the fact that it's focused squarely on rentals. It allows everyone there to have a ... More

Very Happy at Zillow

Current Employee - Fraud Prevention Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fraud Prevention Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, competitive wages/benefits, excellent management, great facilities, + all the little things. The upper level management is legitimately interested in feedback and ideas from employees; not only to make the company better, but also to make Zillow a great place to work.

Cons

The view from the Seattle office is nicer than the view here in SF. Very troubling. I sometimes stay awake at night just thinking about it.

Advice to Management

I'm a newer hire here in SF, and I really enjoy the consideration being put into improving/maintaining office culture and atmosphere; as well as the Anonymity given to the very capable and approachable leaders in our office. Please just keep doing what you're doing.

-Side note, I'm very excited to hear about the improved leadership training that will be offered, both from a general improvement perspective as well as the hope that if successful, this program may even become available to other interested employees.

Zillow Response

Jun 11, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Great review - thank you for posting!
    As you know, because you are on the front lines, stamping out fraudulent listings on rentals is a priority of ours. I am grateful for your hard work, and our
    ... More

Awesome People

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For the majority, everyone that works at Zillow is smart, creative, and driven. It is also a very open company that is truly trying to make the Real Estate/Rental world better for all parties involved.

Cons

Being Seattle based, the salaries perks are not as competitive as a lot of San Francisco base companies. It is also a bit more traditional in a bureaucratic sense and not as flexible as a lot of the other Silicon Valley based companies.

Advice to Management

More transparency/opportunity!

Zillow IS the Company for your Career

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zillow offers an awesome work environment surrounded by many support teams and a variety of departments and people that help you get the job done. There is a synergy, a shared vision, and a certain unique culture that motivates and inspires you to reach and achieve greater than your own expectations can imagine. A thriving company that's fed by its own internal staffs' creativity and commitment to both its members and consumers. Zillow is the company for you and a great career.

Cons

The only downside that comes to mind while submitting this review is that once in a great while, the Starbucks coffee machine in the kitchen goes "out of order" from all the use and attention is gets every day. The upside to that "con" is that it usually gets repaired that same day.

Advice to Management

Every company is founded and built by its people, keep employing the smartest, most creative, and best people money can buy, and Zillow will continue to remain one of the greatest companies to have a career.