Zimmer

Zimmer Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Zimmer President & CEO David Dvorak

David Dvorak

Pros
  • We have great products and a lot of great people that work at Zimmer(in 15 reviews)

• Fairly decent work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has created a toxic environment of backstabbing and cutting corners(in 14 reviews)

• Micromanaging senior management who are more tactical than strategic(in 8 reviews)

Improving

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Warsaw, IN

ProsSignificant dedication and focus on improving the culture.
    This company will be much stronger in a year.

ConsBeing the biggest means you get held to a higher standard.
    Lots of fire drills.
    Salesforce does not sell new technology. Why would you if you make $400k a year?

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the culture change initiatives
    Eliminate forced rankings
    Reward all team members for great work
    Treat people with respect

Outstanding company to work for! Highly recommend!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warsaw, IN

ProsZimmer cares about the people they hire. Benefits are outstanding, pay is among the very best, environment is open and honest. This company truly cares about the products they build and the people that will ultimately benefit from them. The culture is that if you are going to put something into another human being, it will be done right! Zimmer encourages employees to further their education with both time and money to help with tuition costs. They promote from within first.

I left to go to another orthopaedic company and it did not measure up. I couldn't get back fast enough!

ConsI do not see any negatives. Yes, we are worked hard but that is required of all jobs. The difference here vs other orthopaedic companies is that you work hard TOGETHER, in a team! It can sometimes be difficult to make local people understand that diversity makes the workplace better, not worse. This is not Zimmer's fault, it is working in the Midwest. Also, Warsaw is very cold in the winter. It is very difficult to adjust to the climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more sharing between groups so we can all see how our positions interact with others and how we are helping to make people's lives better.

A good company to be "From"

Senior Development Engineer I (Former Employee) Warsaw, IN

ProsZimmer does a great job training and educating their workforce.

ConsYou will be pigeon holed into a job. Once you work on and complete a project, your next assignment will be more of the same. Promotions consistently coincided with the successful completion of the project. If you were on a long term project or in a role that wasn't project based, promotions were unlikely.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for training me in medical devices. What you taught me has served me well in subsequent roles and companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hopeful that is will get better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warsaw, IN

ProsThe pay is good and some people in upper management do have a decent vision.

ConsVery poor work ethic in some departments. There is a complete lack of integrity or attempting to do the right thing. Some people go out of their way to waste both money and time. Some departments have too much work and the right positions do not get filled. There is not a sense that everyone is working on the same team. There is a complete disregard for our sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some of the empty suits that are just waiting to retire. Offer them a buyout.

Country club atmosphere, great company for settling down.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood salary, great products, hands off management style, relaxed environment, good work-life balance, nice people.

ConsLittle direction from management, too much focus on the bottom line, poor communication with international markets, lip service paid to employee engagement, little investment in training outside sales, little to no promotion opportunities (nearly all management is recruited from outside, at least in international markets).

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve and invest in your people more, conduct round tables on employee engagement, challenge your high performers more.

Opportunities abound, leadership does not

Planner Buyer III (Current Employee) Warsaw, IN

ProsGood benefits, great people on the shop floor

ConsImmaturity at the Associate Director level, it is all about the KPI

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize what you have and nyrture it

A mess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Warsaw, IN

ProsLarge company experience.

ConsVery depressing place to work. Continuous cuts and no respect for employees. No mentoring and it was difficult to get approval for training/education. Most HR paperwork including Gallup meant to check a box for management. Full of careerists at the director level that are mentally gone but stay for the LTI program.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not trapped in Warsaw. Leadership seems to believe that innovation is cost cutting rather than diversification to avoid commoditization sweeping the industry.

Does not value employees

Manager (Current Employee) Warsaw, IN

ProsGood salary
    Nice people who try to do the right thing
    Good products that are rewarding to work on
    Great if you like to coast in an easy job.

ConsPoor benefits, stingy vacation policy, use high deductible health plan to pass costs on to employees. Forced ranking every year and then lay off the bottom 5%. Little investment in training people. Top management has "slave mentality", they don't care whether you like your assignments and are inflexible about alternative work schedules. Tend to keep people a level lower than what they are arable of, promotions take forever. Stingy severance packages.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees by providing quality training opportunities and more interesting assignments, and more challenging assignments. Too much focus on bottom line for investors and stockholders, makes employees feel like the last priority. Productivity will continue to suffer with low morale. Stop asking us to give to the PAC when you don't appreciate what we do.

Biologics is lost.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits
    Bonus
    Defined system for medical devices already in place.

ConsThere seemed to be no vision for the Biologics side. There wasn't a clear pipeline and large turnover, both voluntarily and involuntarily. Management are not effective leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff better and provide information on the pipeline and path moving forward. Develop careers instead of just the bottom line.

Opportunistic, yet challenging culture

ProsOpportunities for movement and growth within the company. Received many chances to learn new aspects and had the chance to work in multiple areas and departments to gain more overall experience.

ConsExtremely challenging environment due to the larger turnover within the company. Limited resources to complete projects make aspects of working there stressful.

Worked for Zimmer? Contribute to the Community!