Zimmer

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015

Zimmer President & CEO David Dvorak
David Dvorak

Pros
  • Great products, high standards for quality (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance, relaxed environment, friendly coworkers (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has created a toxic environment of backstabbing and cutting corners (in 15 reviews)

• Small and easy decisions take long time to confirm as many leaders need to be involved in decision making process (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Polisher review

Current Employee - Poliaher in Warsaw, IN
    Current Employee - Poliaher in Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Zimmer

Pros

Pay and hours benefits and people

Cons

Not really any to think of

Be more transparent

An Anonymous Review

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Zimmer

Pros

This is a stable company, in a good growing industry. They do many things well. Quality products. Financially driven. Results oriented. Resources to get things done. Low cost of living in northern Indiana. The pending merger bodes well to shake things up.

Cons

A tendency for short-term vision to satisfy shareholder interests can translate to a loss in longer-term strategic action. Many layers of entrenched bureaucracy can be an impediment to new ideas and can suppress upward mobility.

Figure out how to manage talent better. Consider 360 reviews. Because employees report only upwards to a direct manager means that peer-to-peer internal customer service is not systematically recognized or rewarded.

It has improved.

I have been working at Zimmer

Pros

Great people, for the most part. There are very few people I dislike working with. There were some bumpy years, but things have smoothed out. Exciting future after the acquisition closes, though there's some level of uncertainty with any acquisition.

Cons

Acquisition is also a con with job security a concern. Upper management does have a reputation for having a "their way or the highway" approach, but so far their decisions have worked out. If you don't live in Warsaw, there is a very hard limit in how far you can go in the company.

Be more transparent. The rumor mill is going to bite everyone in the rear pretty soon. Be more open to promoting people not in Warsaw to higher levels.

The people I work with are what make this company.

Current Employee - Distributor in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Distributor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Zimmer

Pros

The benefits offered are great.

Cons

Upper management at the corporate level seem to make decisions based off of very little knowledge of what goes on down at the level where most work.

Upper management needs to visit distributorships and really learn the intricacies of our daily tasks so they can truly understand how their decisions pact the organization.

Jan 7, 2015Associate HR Director

Thank you for your feedback and advice to management. We’re excited about the future and there has never been a better time to be a part of our team. We are fortunate to have an experienced and ... More

Great Med Device Company

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Warsaw, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Zimmer as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company produces great industry leading products. The facilities are wonderful and the tools available to complete the job are fully available. There are many opportunities for advancement in the professional and lower level management roles. There is a tremendous focus on changing the culture and it's beginning to take root. Executive Management listens and acts appropriately. Culture shaping is creating an environment of collaboration which is positive and productive. Excellent pay and low cost of living. People at Zimmer and in Warsaw in general are exceptionally friendly. Love the small town atmosphere.

Cons

There is a lot of angst about job security since the intended purchase of Biomet was announced. This has created employee posturing that is counterproductive.

Accelerate the naming of the remainder leaders in the new organization in order to eliminate the tension and posturing. Continue to drive the culture shaping.

Jan 7, 2015Associate HR Director

Thank you for your perspectives and advice to management. Our culture-shaping journey will help us shape a healthy, high-performance culture that respects the needs of our employees, in addition to ... More

Don't believe job security after merger

I worked at Zimmer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good job with lots of fun people to work with. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

After mergers, they tell you they want long-term employees and not to worry about your job. Then a year or so later they close your plant and lay-off everyone. I have been thru this twice.

Care about people

It was ok, could have been better

I worked at Zimmer

Pros

Treat you fair and nice. Lots of celebrations and free lunches.

Cons

The top management needs to be more considerate.

Zimmer Engineer

I have been working at Zimmer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hardworking coworkers, diverse opportunities, good community

Cons

Little empowerment to make decisions, micromanagement, constantly changing environment

Hire people you trust and empower them to make decisions

Great Atmosphere, Poor Direction and Management

Former Employee - Development Engineer in Warsaw, IN
    Former Employee - Development Engineer in Warsaw, IN

I worked at Zimmer as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Zimmer as a whole was very good about bringing in company culture, ensuring a learning atmosphere and hiring bright, helpful, logical minds. I enjoyed working with other development engineers and everyone in the plant. Everyone was warm and friendly, always willing to help you learn or adjust to the Midwest.

Cons

I was a contractor, and managers have little to no respect for contractors. They treated us like slaves, pushing impossible deadlines and expectations. There seems to be confusion everywhere, and it is at full fault of the managers who have little experience but full authority over projects. Managers promise career opportunities but even for those who have proven themselves over and over, there seems to be no kept promise. Poor management is the sole reason I left the company.

Dont treat your contractors like lower class citizens. Deadlines are met in spite of impossible situations, so the least you can do is be honest about expectations and goals.

Jan 7, 2015Associate HR Director

We’re sorry that you didn’t have a positive experience with our Company. We do our best to create a dynamic environment that allows our employees and contractors to be catalysts for change ... More

Work and culture

I have been working at Zimmer

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Laid back. Headquartered in a remote place.

Jan 7, 2015Associate HR Director

Thank you for sharing your thoughts as we continue to work to make Zimmer an employer of choice focused on restoring mobility and improving the quality of life for patients around the world.