Zimmerman Advertising Reviews

Reset
3.5
Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Pros
  • You're given a lot of responsibility off the bat because it's only a younger crowd that works there so you learn a lot (in 13 reviews)

• Great place to start off you're marketing career (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no respect for work/life balance; in fact they make you feel bad for wanting to leave at 6 pm (end of the day) (in 10 reviews)

• Great results require time and commitment so if 24/7 isn't what you are looking for then the agency culture isn't a right fit (in 17 reviews)

1. Account Services Intern

Current Employee - Account Services Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Services Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

-Get exposed to the different divisions of the agency such as strategy, media, retail account services, and digital.
    -Get immersed into a team of five assigned a rigorous project presented at the end to head executives

Cons

-Low pay
    -Recycling bins everywhere - green friendly but can get annoying

Best Job I've Had So Far

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone is incredibly helpful and friendly. Management wants you to succeed and will do anything they can to help you during your first few months. Great sense of community. It's a very inspiring place and they do a lot of orientation programs during your first 90 days so you can see all the different sides of the company. They try to do an event every week, whether it be food trucks or farmers markets. Great work/life balance, friendly and casual environment. This is a great place to start out in a career. You work with nationally recognized clients and the company is only going up. There's also a lot of flexibility with scheduling and also with moving around the company. I've never enjoyed a job as much as I enjoy my job here and I actually look forward to coming here everyday.

Cons

The pay is awful and my only complaint. I was making 50% more at my last job and I won't see that kind of money again until at least 2 years of working here. Zimmerman gets away with the ridiculously low salaries because they know everyone wants to work here.
    I'd think twice about relocating here for an entry-level position. Rent in South Florida is ridiculously high and by the time you've paid rent, utilities, groceries, etc, you will have used up your entire month's paycheck. Many people here are living at home with their parents.
    A lot of people stay a year or two to get Zimmerman on their resume and leave for smaller agencies that will pay more money. It's really sad because it really is a great place to work and they don't want to leave, but they simply cannot afford to live off the salary.

Tons of Work to do, IT Management does little or nothing to help.

Former Employee - Former Helpdesk Level II in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Former Helpdesk Level II in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large Beautiful Building. Really Cool and Helpful H.R., zRepro, Facilities Staff. Special Holiday/Occasional Free Company Lunches. Beautiful Food Cafe's with a Tons of Free Coffee and Soda Options. VERY Hard working Level 2 and Infrastructure Engineers who appreciate Fast Assistance and Cooperation from the already Hard working Help Desk Team.

Cons

Overworked & Underpaid! Very low Hourly Pay rate for the Amount of Hard Work expected to be completed by IT Management. Too much Drama and work related Stress in the Office!!! IT Management does close to "Zero" - nothing to help their Hard working IT Team when they ask for Help at Times. Instead they are asked to figure it out themselves... Maybe their too busy flirting with the some of the ladies of other Departments instead of helping their Team at Times? Maybe they don't care about what the eventual Outcome of what that may be? Maybe they don't Fully recognize that their Hard Working IT Helpdesk Team already notices that? Maybe their Helpdesk Team are looking for better Leadership? Why are ALL of their Senior, Hard Working Level 2 Helpdesk Techs leaving the company? Who knows???

Advice to Management

Please show your Already Hard Working Helpdesk Team (That already are in fear of losing their job at times because of the way you come Across with too much Pride) that you are willing to help them in case they have a few questions that they do not know how to answer but could use your Help!!! Do not throw any more responsibilities on them that you could possibly Help them with. Work with Executive Management to allow Higher Hourly Wages and/or Salary for your already Hard working Helpdesk Team that strives to keep things running smoothly for the Department. The Overtime Rate should be against the Law...

5. Fast-paced client consulting firm

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hmm... let's see...the soap in the bathroom smells amazing, the floors are always clean, the building is beautiful, and you get free valet parking. The people are all young and fun, there's a lot of positive and eager energy, Food truck Fridays, Summer Fridays where you get half-days off, company events, a lot of events to keep the employees motivated, several very good looking people in the area never hurt, a free soda machine with every Coke product you can imagine... I looove Vanilla Diet Coke! and our CEO Michael Goldberg is awesome. He's an absolute teddy bear.

Cons

The salaries are horrible across the board, people drop like flies, hours are long for some only to have the client then completely shut down the entire project, many employees are a bit too young so it seems the company uses these newbies to pay them short salaries and work them to the bone so they can gain the experience. Interns get Macbooks, while people that have been here for years don't? That's a little weird. Some execs are too young because they've likely been here since they got out of college and act like they own the place. Nice people here don't last very long. The social culture in the company acts like a dating service. It's high school all over again, where so and so dated so and so in x floor and now they're not speaking because x person is dating someone in their team. Jordan only goes around tooting his own horn... his book, his plane, his accomplishments, how he built the business from the ground up, how he comes into work even though he doesn't need to (so annoying), and he makes people be here at 7:45am for his on-boarding presentation because he's a morning person. Jordan is so successful, owns so many cars and a plane, yet pays his employees minimum wage salaries :(

Advice to Management

Raise salaries for employees and maybe the doors wouldn't revolve as much as they do. People drop like flies here. I've watched multiple people leave from my area in just 1 month. Something is obviously not right.

6. Digital Administrator

Current Employee - Digital in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Digital in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Great place to start and the people is nice and professional.

Cons

Pay can be better, but overall is a great environment.

A Hamster Wheel

Current Employee - Creative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Creative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Probably the best thing I can say about the agency is the kids who are conned into coming here for less money than they'd make as a Peace Corps volunteer. They learn nothing but spend a summer or a year jumping into bed with each other and trying to channel Don Draper.

Cons

There's sadly nothing positive I can say about this shop. The staff as a whole is untalented and lacking any real experience. The work is jokey, no ideas, ugly and creative and account management leadership are very very weak, especially creative. JZ is successful built his empire is built on the backs of drones who crank out reams of uninspired retail junk.

Advice to Management

Clean house and start again. This formula won't last forever. The internet has already changed retail. Hire some people who can think: no one who has come in here recently in management is more than a slick talking head or a cliche.

Good place to learn but not to stay long term

Former Employee - Level I Helpdesk in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Level I Helpdesk in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working daily along with hardworking guys made slow days fun.

Lots to learn and always busy makes time go by faster.
     Company pays for education up to $2.5k. Free valet parking. Free Soda machine and coffee. Beautiful building with lots of space and natural sunlight overlooking the gorgeous Fort Lauderdale city. Game room and arcade. Casual Friday's. Rotating Half day Friday's during summer

Cons

Valet forced down your throat: Forced to have valet guys park your new car doing burn outs and turn corners on two wheels every morning. If a valet guy parks your car under a tree on the required Z parking lot and a tree branch falls off and dents it, you are responsible to pay for it.

Constant revolving door. One guy quits or gets fired on Wednesday or Friday, his or her replacement will start the following Monday. Turnover is much worse than a call center or fast food hamburger restaurant.

Terrible benefits. You have to work 5 straight years for the Z to match your 401k at 4% to be 100% vested. Compensation appraisals are not guaranteed and if they are given expect less than 2%. Very little recognition for accomplishments especially when handling high priority projects in a timely manner. No raise to speak of despite the fact I was in the top 10% for performance on my team.

Snobish and uppity executives who care more about their pocket books and moving up the food chain and not their own staff. If you don't hold the Director, VP or EVP title they will walk past you like you are invisible. I will try to give a friendly hello in hallways or elevators and was commonly greeted with silence or being ignored.

When the new Apple *whatever* comes out and executives go "Ga Ga" over it, IT Management expects you to drive your own vehicle to the Apple Store at 5am to wait in a long line to buy for executives (who's salary easily exceeded well over 6 figures) using your own money and you will have to wait two weeks or longer to get your money back. If the Helpdesk team does not decide who goes then IT management would randomly pick someone and force them to go. Why can't an executive assistant do this duty?

You think staying overtime will get you time in a half pay with a nice big fat paycheck like most companies? Wrong. At the Z you will be paid HALF your RATE when doing overtime. So if you make $18 an hour base you get paid $9 an hour when doing overtime and make lesser as your OT time increases.

Poor work life balance: You are expected to answer every text, email or tweet from your coworkers and management on your days off during all hours of the day. Working in IT requires 24/7 mandatory on call rotation which is surprisingly not listed in the work responsibilities section of the job role in Helpdesk.

Poor leadership and communication from IT managers. They are Completely out of touch from policies, procedures, and practices. Their request and responses are always vague and not clear. If you make the mistake in trying to "assume" what they are requesting and do their request incorrectly it could cost you your job. I always had to go to their offices for verbal clarification to cover myself if directions weren't clear.

Piled with endless work. Never ending flow of new hires (8 or more per week), terminations (6 or more per week) and office moves as if the company likes playing musical chairs. Last minute notices for new hires is extremely common. Hiring managers don't understand it can take a few hours to get someone's laptop and phone setup after you tell us that you just hired someone 5 minutes ago and they need their laptops setup NOW as the new hire needs to work NOW! Hiring practices and communication with HR are discombobulated to meet IT realistic time of deployment which is the root causes of stress and burnout.

Always short staffed due to extremely high IT turnover and not enough coverage or ample time for training new IT staff or taking lunch breaks. Average lifespan for an IT personnel is 5 months to 2 years before shipping out due to low morale, high pressure high stress environment, lower than average wage, no career growth, and bad management who seems out of touch with team needs and direction. IT management are not willing to go in the trenches and get their hands dirty like the Helpdesk.

Always threatened by some executives who have no self respect for themselves or their employees they manage daily or coworkers they work with. Ive never worked for a company where leaders curse like druken sailors. F this and F that was quite common. They will be nice to you one day but are quick to notify your dept head or the CEO while blatantly broadcasting your name as if you are the devil himself if things hit the fan. If you need something from them they will put your request on a back burner. Why? Because they CAN as they are overpaid EVPs and you are small fish to them.

Since I been there in my short stint (less than 1yr)I seen 13 really nice IT guys come and go. Most being fired or some leaving due to high stress as they found better opportunities from different companies willing to pay a lot more with competitive industry salaries(50k+ vs Zimmerman 35k) that offer much more professional work friendly environments. Zimmerman start most IT guys at 35-40k where most companies start at 47k or higher.

Working hard with extended work hours while being paid HALF your hourly rate to catch up on work on your OWN time was never good enough. Exceeding the bosses needs during emergencies was never good enough. Stopping what you were doing to help the boss or executives who needed help NOW and not receiving a simple THANK-YOU from your hard work and dedication to resolving their issue in a quick timely manner for them was never good enough.

I've seen hard working Helpdesk guys leave 1-2 hours later after working their full 8 hours just to catch up on work.

IT Managers are quick to point out mistakes and broadcast them to you and your team to humiliate and slander your credibility. Yet rarely give zero credit for good work. Buying random breakfast is not giving credit. Vouching and fighting tooth and nail with upper level executives to get your best guys higher pay is giving good credit. Providing detailed and helpful assistance in a time of need is giving good credit.

Though I performed admirably up to the end, I always felt I was one step away from the chopping block. Lived every day in fear of what nasty feedback I'd receive and having fear of losing my job on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

I remember hearing a true story how a CEO or Founder of a company decided to give himself a $1 salary for the entire year just to boost his hardworking employee salaries as a thank you and kind appreciation that his workers were providing. Maybe Jordan should do this to put a bandaid on the high turnover within the Z.
    Treat your hard working IT team equally as human beings as we make Zimmerman technology run and work hard to make sure the computers and printers are working. Promote a more positive atmosphere with perks $$$, recognition and competitive appraisals to keep staff from constantly flocking out the door for other pastures.

9. Jr. Integrated Media Planner

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zimmerman is like the advertising school you've been wanting to attend, its great to start your career here and grow professionally, its not gonna be easy but it will be worth it

Cons

Too soon to advise on this matter

Advice to Management

One of the things I believe that have room for improvement will be the involvement of the Planners in the actual strategy, I feel like Planners should be more involved in this process

10. Inspiring place!

Current Employee - Digital Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really appreciate what Z has done for me. I started out freelancing, and worked my butt off. Almost immediately my work was noticed and i was offered a full time position, which i took and have enjoyed. The pros of this place are plentiful, its challenging, its demanding, working on huge clients and huge accounts, you get to work with incredible people, inspiring artists, creative geniuses. So far I have really enjoyed my time at Z, and look forward to the next challenge here!

Cons

Honestly i don't have many currently. Ive been treated fairly, rewarded for my efforts, and given a chance to excel. The one con that comes to mind, is sometimes work can overflow and long days are required, but this can be argued is the case with any successfull agency. Health insurance could be a bit more competitive, but hard to complain.

Advice to Management

Keep on truckin'

Get me out of here - Zimmerman's a black mark on your resume

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR makes great fake reviews on glassdoor. 250+ reviews. Most companies have like 50. But HR needs to produce a couple elaborate fake ones to keep up with the truth.

Lots of attractive people. Everyone's hooking up with everyone.
    aaaaannnd thats about it.

You'll get good at one small thing. It's an assembly line process. At real agencies you'll need to know much more so they won't hire you out here.

Cons

Calls themselves 14th biggest????? they don't rank on any top 100 I've ever seen. It's all about show and lies. Total dog and pony show, especially the fake social media room and new whatever lounge they just spend our raise money on to trick client into coming here.

Terrible Creative - The Copywriters produce something resembling that of an illiterate 12 yr old.

Clients only stay a yr because they realize the toted numbers are all fake.

Get used to being paid nothing because other agencies no and Zimmerman on you resume is a death card.

My friend was promised a raise in writing in three months and they fired them the day before. Just a tiny raise that was well deserved and overdue.

The moral is horrible. We get traction and then they fire down to a skeleton crew while taking on new clients and working everyone to death. They then hire a bunch of new people fire the old ones that are worn out after a yr or two and repeat.

Shame on you Jordan Zimmerman.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the execs with enormous salaries. There is no rare talent up there. Pay people so they can grow and stay.

RSS Feed </> Embed