Zimmerman Advertising

Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Pros
  • You're given a lot of responsibility off the bat because it's only a younger crowd that works there so you learn a lot (in 13 reviews)

• Best place to start your career and work your hardest to get where you want to be (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was generally good, though benefit packages could be improved (in 10 reviews)

• AWFUL work-life balance, late hours 24/7, worked weekends ALL the time, had NO life (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

164 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

New Graduate starting my Career at Zimmerman

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, insanely cool building, huge cafeteria with unlimited supply of coffee and soda - You'' be hyped up on Sugar and Caffeine all day. For reals

Cons

The starting salary was very low compared to the other offers I got in the state. You do get a bump at 6 months and another at 1 year. Luckily I have 2 roommates to share the bills

Ringling Brothers aint got Nuttin on This Place

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Fun, Circus Like environment, Game Room and the friends you make will last forever. You are surrounded by talented artist and illustrators. Good place to start your career. Ive met some talented CDs here and hope to learn more with my future with Zimmerman. I like what the new CEO has to say with making us a more integrated agency. I would like to learn more Digital design and layout.

Cons

Management should spend more one on one time with their team. Its VERY fast paced and kind of a sink or swim attitude. Better keep up or your out the door. Ive noticed there is a lot of turn over within certain departments.

Spend more time shaping your current staff and not replacing the ones that just need a little help and support.

This is the Place to Be...

Current Employee - Media Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Media Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being that I love South Florida, there are no agency with the Brand power of Zimmerman. Yes, we work hard, yes, the pay is average, but overall this is the experience I need to further my career in Advertising. I love the new building and all the cool games, cafeteria and all the java and soda one human being could possibly drink in a lifetime. I am getting great negotiating skills and buying power within the agency and learning alot from my team. Overall, good experience thus far.

Cons

Sometimes things are a bit chaotic around here. Too many leaders and not enough support. I wish there was some kind of career guidance from management or HR.

Keep up the training, work on salary and bonuses based on performance - reward those that make this place tick

Madmen on Acid

Current Employee - Digital Client Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Client Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising (more than an year)

Pros

Lets just say if you could smoke at Zimmerman Advertising, it would be the show x10 - Never a dull moment around here. New York mentality "I need it yesterday" - Not for the weak, that for sure. LOVE my co-workers, I will take away friendships here that will stay with me for life. We always hang out in and outside of work. I have definitely learned alot being here for 15 months, but am anxious to learn more. I hope to move into a more leadership role with Digital soon. Great client interaction and Scott has always had an open door policy when it comes to issues, problems or just needing to talk. We shall see what the future holds for me

Cons

Long commute for me but I might move closer this year. I would have liked a better salary when starting, 24K seems a little low for the amount of work I do - I did get a bump this year, but if I would have started at my current salary, I would have been much happier - parking seems to be a bit unorganized, when it rains, I ususally wait 20 minutes for my car

More offsite events for employees, bonuses for lower level employees. I do like the management changes thus far, just a few more and youll have a perfect team :-)

If you can't take the heat....

Current Employee - Media Planner in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Media Planner in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you don't have the thick skin to handle Zimmerman then you don't belong in the advertising industry. Advertising is a cut throat industry, clients come and go and so do jobs, that's how things work. I think Zimmerman gives their employees what they need to succeed and the people who don't succeed are just not cut out for this industry. People who do succeed at Zimmerman are the ROCK STARS that make it in this industry. The leadership is inspiring, the work life balance is great and the people are simply amazing!

Cons

Yea, the entry level salary isn't the best, but it's ENTRY LEVEL! At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel and the entry level salary increases throughout your first year. After a year you are making just as much as anyone else at an entry level, probably even more. The office can be a little cold, but what office isn't cold?

Continue to motivate and give as much direction as possible.

90 Day Review

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I received an email from HR asking to "review" my experience with Zimmerman so far. In 3 months I have seen and learned alot in the last 3 months. It seems like the company hires on "fitting in" rather than experience. There are alot of "go getters" and smiling faces I see in the building. Since I am in Billing and Collections I dont know if this is the right way to staff your agency, but it seems to be a very happy place to work. Very young group and always something buzzing around the halls. So far so good for me

Cons

Very clicky, its almost like mean girls. Either your fit in with the cool kids or sit in the corner by yourself. Luckily no one has been rude or discrespectful to me and I have enjoyed my time here - I hope that doesnt change. I have heard rumors about this place, but it looks like things are pretty fun around here.

Too new to give that advice just yet - I will do another review at my 1 year.

Jr. AE

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Work environment is awesome. The building is very nice.

Cons

Pay is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They expect you to work numerous hours for little pay. Not much room for growth, and Executives can be a little self-centered. Management has changed for the better so hopefully things will change. Lets see what the new year brings. Actions speak louder than words....I do not trust what they have to say I rather see the changes.

current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a few things that make it a nice place but mainly it is the employees. There are some great people working there and I have made some good friends. They have offered many programs that are fun, and heathy, The benefits are good, but expensive. The offices are nice. The current creative management is supportive and inspirational. The leadership at the agency (Michael Goldberg) is inspired and smart. There are some really talented people working there.

Cons

The lack of planning is stressful. Too many fire drills on a daily basis. In an attempt to be responsive to clients ( a good thing) they too often subscribe to the Fire, Aim, Ready approach. This causes too many revisions which wastes resources both mentally and financially and infuses the process with stress and works against the agency goal to be a powerful creative company. Most of the best work being done doesn't get produced for anything except presentations. Too much cheap stock being used instead of working with photographers, and illustrators that help bring ideas to life.

The account service staff is often young and inexperienced, not excited about great work, and don't seem to be able to sell or support it on the majority of accounts. This creates a situation where the goals are not shared between departments and therefor division.

These things reduce the ability to attract better clients who want better more inspired work because the work isn't consistently good.

There isn't as much work/life balance as there should be. Life experiences outside of work are the fuel needed to create better work. This works against the agency goals and creates conflict internally.

Compensation isn't evenly shared enough. SVPs get bonuses but the masses do the work that earns them and get little in return. Not enough payback for the demands placed of them which causes a lack of caring by many employees. There has to be a reward of some kind ( I got to do great work, I made more money, I was mentored...something)

Employee culture is great, but the company seems to lack a human side. You can't create culture by demanding that it be so. Want to stand for something? Inspire people and produce great work. The recognition that brings creates employee that are proud to be part of it, and that creates a culture.

In short care more, recognized more, and stand for more. Do more than just talk about it.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who will turn into your closest friends. Other employers always think highly of people who worked there for more than one yr as it shows great work ethic. During the holidays, they worked off a skeleton crew so you only worked one day during the last week of December.

Cons

Low pay as everyone is replaceable. Work is very segmented so you dont get exposure to alot . No one will care when you leave. Dont stay longer than 1.5 - 2 years.

change is good; make more

Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great talent within the organization, delivering some solid work. Great new building and dedicated HR team that works very hard to give people reasons to like working there. Getting the new CEO on board earlier would have prevented many losses (in talent and clients) over the past few years. Obviously, based on the 180 change in reviews over the past few months, the sentiment is universal. Jordan is an accomplished, hard working leader, but he has not surrounded himself with the executive leadership the agency needs. Glad to see this first step!

Cons

Significant change is still needed among the leadership team. Most of the executive team members have gotten where they are due to tenure and internal relationships. Talented outsiders quickly realized they would not have the operating authority or tools to succeed and left, rather than risk their professional reputations. Most of those remaining truly don't have the experience or skills to deliver against their titles, and they would not have them at other agencies. The current lineup not only hinders the agency's growth, but the growth of other team members who have no one to train and mentor them.

Go out and get the senior talent you need to succeed. Then, continue to serve the loyal clients you have while attracting more sophisticated ones. Ensure plans, budgets and resources are aligned for each account to avoid burning team members out, delivering marginal work and disappointing clients. Don't just take any client you can get for the lowest price they're willing to pay. You're better than that!

Zimmerman Advertising Photos