Zimmerman Advertising Reviews

challenging but energizing

Current Employee - Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Nice people in a new attractive office and located in the sunshine state.

Cons

less design oriented than what I was aspecting, but I saw a huge improve in the last few years

Advice to Management

improve the job briefing culture

Been here for 8+ years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have an awesome boss who has given me more than I ever dreamed could happen in my career. She allowed me to create my own systems and processes and encouraged me to keep up that mode of thinking, and here I am 8 years later with a job title I didn't even go to school for! Because of her I have learned almost every aspect of advertising, and I'm not done yet.
    Fun atmosphere, the department I work in is very laid back which allows us to keep stress levels down even though deadlines are INSANE.
    Learning opportunities and growth beyond imaginable: I've been here for over 8 years and have had 4/5 different titles, each time moving up and getting paid more. If you want to you can eventually become anything you desire as long as you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

Starting salaries are really low, LIKE CRAZY INSANE I have to eat ramen noodles and accumulate debt just to live LOW.
    The workload can sometimes keep you at work until the wee hours of the morning (3am is my record).
    In my department we rely HEAVILY on computers, if your machine is running properly your day can triple in length, often times repairs and upgrades are minimal with the "it costs too much money" excuse. To be the best we need the best tools!!
    There is no such thing as a training program, its sink or swim, which weeds out most of the people that can't hack it, but there should be something that is structured for every position.

Advice to Management

Show more value in your employees who work their butts off to make sure that the clients are happy. Offering some sort of incentive program **cough cough** bonuses **cough cough**. Communication throughout all levels of work, if a deadline is promised EVERYONE should be included in that information, and those who are working to achieve that deadline beyond regular working hours, beyond "late" working hours, should be compensated (we used to have "late shift" pay, you've never seen so many people so happy to work until 2am in your life) <-- Late shift also helped to level of workloads and excel beyond deadlines, delivering finished work ahead of schedule in some cases.

Updating, upgrading and improvement of our computers is BEYOND NECESSARY. We are all adults and understand budgeting but when it comes to the departments that create the actual advertisement, special attention, care, and money must be paid. This will also make employees happier and more prideful of their workplace. To be able to say we have the best out there gives us the ability to produce the BEST work!

3. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Current Employee - Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once I arrived at Zimmerman, the biggest factor I knew I had chosen the right place was a simple phrase I heard just days after my hire from Jordan, the founder... he was walking around as he usually does and noticed some empty work stations and said "Get all these empty work stations ready and hire to fill the positions, we'll get the work!" I was so intrigued with his commitment to growth and immediately saw opportunities to advance. 14 years later, I've held different titles and I'm still here and...wouldn't have it any other way!

Cons

Don't really have anything negative to say. Would I like to make more money... OF COURSE!

Advice to Management

Some type of monetary yearly bonus. Just lifts moral of employees and makes even the least employee vested in.

5. Great people and work environment; extremely difficult to get a raise and starting salaries are very low

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment and the people are great. Mostly everyone is friendly and there are a lot of opportunities for collaboration and learning. The middle management does a very good job of connecting with employees; benefits are decent but not wonderful.

Cons

Starting salaries are low for the industry, and once hired, it is almost impossible to get a raise that is higher than 3-4%. Although there are great people, upper management has been out of reach and somewhat blind to the struggles of their employees, but there are promises of improvement. Young, inexperienced individuals are hired but not given enough training, so productivity is compromised. Benefits are ok, and health care is extremely expensive. The company does not provide ANY benefits for families, and encourage workers against adding their families and spouses to their insurance coverage.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries on a merit basis and provide opportunities for growth. Provide more benefits to compensate employees for working 24/7 and doing their best to reach the ambitious goals set by the executives. Encourage training that is longer and more versatile so that employees can truly understand and reach out to other departments and we can all work together as a team.

6. National Level Clients & Work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

One of the great things about being at Zimmerman is the opportunity to work on national level accounts while being in Fort Lauderdale. There are almost no other places in the southeast that offer that kind of level of client. Despite the view of the agency from outside the wall of the company, the people here are energetic, excited and committed to doing great advertising.

Cons

It's very difficult to get rewarded for the efforts you put in. Salary increases have been small and I That's frustrating and disheartening. It brings down my opinion of the organization because I don't feel as if the company gives to me as much as I give to them. Often resources are thin as well. Not enough people available to handle the workload, especially since we work under very tight deadlines.

Advice to Management

I know this company wants to be great and wants its employees to make it great -- and it can be if management leads by example and provides the resources necessary to get us there.

Jr. AE

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Work environment is awesome. The building is very nice.

Cons

Pay is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They expect you to work numerous hours for little pay. Not much room for growth, and Executives can be a little self-centered. Management has changed for the better so hopefully things will change. Lets see what the new year brings. Actions speak louder than words....I do not trust what they have to say I rather see the changes.

Advice to Management

change is good; make more

Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great talent within the organization, delivering some solid work. Great new building and dedicated HR team that works very hard to give people reasons to like working there. Getting the new CEO on board earlier would have prevented many losses (in talent and clients) over the past few years. Obviously, based on the 180 change in reviews over the past few months, the sentiment is universal. Jordan is an accomplished, hard working leader, but he has not surrounded himself with the executive leadership the agency needs. Glad to see this first step!

Cons

Significant change is still needed among the leadership team. Most of the executive team members have gotten where they are due to tenure and internal relationships. Talented outsiders quickly realized they would not have the operating authority or tools to succeed and left, rather than risk their professional reputations. Most of those remaining truly don't have the experience or skills to deliver against their titles, and they would not have them at other agencies. The current lineup not only hinders the agency's growth, but the growth of other team members who have no one to train and mentor them.

Advice to Management

Go out and get the senior talent you need to succeed. Then, continue to serve the loyal clients you have while attracting more sophisticated ones. Ensure plans, budgets and resources are aligned for each account to avoid burning team members out, delivering marginal work and disappointing clients. Don't just take any client you can get for the lowest price they're willing to pay. You're better than that!

9. Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a ton of opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of agency flow. It's a great place to start a career and hit the ground running as 80% of the employees are under the age of 35. And, the people you work with will become your best friends!

Cons

Unfortunately, salary is not an indication of the employee talent and most employees are not compensated fairly in comparison to other agencies in South Florida. Most employees come in and are expected to learn on the job with little, if any, training.

Advice to Management

People are promoted from within but are not compensated fairly for promotions (3% - if you're lucky!). So, with the new title, people leave the agency to find better compensation. Therefore, Zimmerman is losing a lot of its talent.

current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are a few things that make it a nice place but mainly it is the employees. There are some great people working there and I have made some good friends. They have offered many programs that are fun, and heathy, The benefits are good, but expensive. The offices are nice. The current creative management is supportive and inspirational. The leadership at the agency (Michael Goldberg) is inspired and smart. There are some really talented people working there.

Cons

The lack of planning is stressful. Too many fire drills on a daily basis. In an attempt to be responsive to clients ( a good thing) they too often subscribe to the Fire, Aim, Ready approach. This causes too many revisions which wastes resources both mentally and financially and infuses the process with stress and works against the agency goal to be a powerful creative company. Most of the best work being done doesn't get produced for anything except presentations. Too much cheap stock being used instead of working with photographers, and illustrators that help bring ideas to life.

The account service staff is often young and inexperienced, not excited about great work, and don't seem to be able to sell or support it on the majority of accounts. This creates a situation where the goals are not shared between departments and therefor division.

These things reduce the ability to attract better clients who want better more inspired work because the work isn't consistently good.

There isn't as much work/life balance as there should be. Life experiences outside of work are the fuel needed to create better work. This works against the agency goals and creates conflict internally.

Advice to Management

Compensation isn't evenly shared enough. SVPs get bonuses but the masses do the work that earns them and get little in return. Not enough payback for the demands placed of them which causes a lack of caring by many employees. There has to be a reward of some kind ( I got to do great work, I made more money, I was mentored...something)

Employee culture is great, but the company seems to lack a human side. You can't create culture by demanding that it be so. Want to stand for something? Inspire people and produce great work. The recognition that brings creates employee that are proud to be part of it, and that creates a culture.

In short care more, recognized more, and stand for more. Do more than just talk about it.

11. Madmen on Acid

Current Employee - Digital Client Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Client Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising (More than a year)

Pros

Lets just say if you could smoke at Zimmerman Advertising, it would be the show x10 - Never a dull moment around here. New York mentality "I need it yesterday" - Not for the weak, that for sure. LOVE my co-workers, I will take away friendships here that will stay with me for life. We always hang out in and outside of work. I have definitely learned alot being here for 15 months, but am anxious to learn more. I hope to move into a more leadership role with Digital soon. Great client interaction and Scott has always had an open door policy when it comes to issues, problems or just needing to talk. We shall see what the future holds for me

Cons

Long commute for me but I might move closer this year. I would have liked a better salary when starting, 24K seems a little low for the amount of work I do - I did get a bump this year, but if I would have started at my current salary, I would have been much happier - parking seems to be a bit unorganized, when it rains, I ususally wait 20 minutes for my car

Advice to Management

More offsite events for employees, bonuses for lower level employees. I do like the management changes thus far, just a few more and youll have a perfect team :-)

Zimmerman Advertising Photos