Zimmerman Advertising Reviews

• Fort Lauderdale, FL

1. Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a ton of opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of agency flow. It's a great place to start a career and hit the ground running as 80% of the employees are under the age of 35. And, the people you work with will become your best friends!

Cons

Unfortunately, salary is not an indication of the employee talent and most employees are not compensated fairly in comparison to other agencies in South Florida. Most employees come in and are expected to learn on the job with little, if any, training.

People are promoted from within but are not compensated fairly for promotions (3% - if you're lucky!). So, with the new title, people leave the agency to find better compensation. Therefore, Zimmerman is losing a lot of its talent.

change is good; make more

Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some great talent within the organization, delivering some solid work. Great new building and dedicated HR team that works very hard to give people reasons to like working there. Getting the new CEO on board earlier would have prevented many losses (in talent and clients) over the past few years. Obviously, based on the 180 change in reviews over the past few months, the sentiment is universal. Jordan is an accomplished, hard working leader, but he has not surrounded himself with the executive leadership the agency needs. Glad to see this first step!

Cons

Significant change is still needed among the leadership team. Most of the executive team members have gotten where they are due to tenure and internal relationships. Talented outsiders quickly realized they would not have the operating authority or tools to succeed and left, rather than risk their professional reputations. Most of those remaining truly don't have the experience or skills to deliver against their titles, and they would not have them at other agencies. The current lineup not only hinders the agency's growth, but the growth of other team members who have no one to train and mentor them.

Go out and get the senior talent you need to succeed. Then, continue to serve the loyal clients you have while attracting more sophisticated ones. Ensure plans, budgets and resources are aligned for each account to avoid burning team members out, delivering marginal work and disappointing clients. Don't just take any client you can get for the lowest price they're willing to pay. You're better than that!

current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a few things that make it a nice place but mainly it is the employees. There are some great people working there and I have made some good friends. They have offered many programs that are fun, and heathy, The benefits are good, but expensive. The offices are nice. The current creative management is supportive and inspirational. The leadership at the agency (Michael Goldberg) is inspired and smart. There are some really talented people working there.

Cons

The lack of planning is stressful. Too many fire drills on a daily basis. In an attempt to be responsive to clients ( a good thing) they too often subscribe to the Fire, Aim, Ready approach. This causes too many revisions which wastes resources both mentally and financially and infuses the process with stress and works against the agency goal to be a powerful creative company. Most of the best work being done doesn't get produced for anything except presentations. Too much cheap stock being used instead of working with photographers, and illustrators that help bring ideas to life.

The account service staff is often young and inexperienced, not excited about great work, and don't seem to be able to sell or support it on the majority of accounts. This creates a situation where the goals are not shared between departments and therefor division.

These things reduce the ability to attract better clients who want better more inspired work because the work isn't consistently good.

There isn't as much work/life balance as there should be. Life experiences outside of work are the fuel needed to create better work. This works against the agency goals and creates conflict internally.

Compensation isn't evenly shared enough. SVPs get bonuses but the masses do the work that earns them and get little in return. Not enough payback for the demands placed of them which causes a lack of caring by many employees. There has to be a reward of some kind ( I got to do great work, I made more money, I was mentored...something)

Employee culture is great, but the company seems to lack a human side. You can't create culture by demanding that it be so. Want to stand for something? Inspire people and produce great work. The recognition that brings creates employee that are proud to be part of it, and that creates a culture.

In short care more, recognized more, and stand for more. Do more than just talk about it.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who will turn into your closest friends. Other employers always think highly of people who worked there for more than one yr as it shows great work ethic. During the holidays, they worked off a skeleton crew so you only worked one day during the last week of December.

Cons

Low pay as everyone is replaceable. Work is very segmented so you dont get exposure to alot . No one will care when you leave. Dont stay longer than 1.5 - 2 years.

6. The place to be in South Florida if advertising is your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Name brand accounts that are national in scope. Focus is on retail advertising and getting consumers into stores or driving them online that day. Great new building that is collaborative and team building. Freestyle soda machine is nice plus.

Cons

While hours are not highly above "advertising standard" hours per day, the days are intense. Much is expected from assistants all the way through to EVPs. If you can contribute at the rev'd up pace, you succeed. If the speed of retail is not your style, this is not the place to work.

7. Madmen on Acid

Current Employee - Digital Client Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Client Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising (more than a year)

Pros

Lets just say if you could smoke at Zimmerman Advertising, it would be the show x10 - Never a dull moment around here. New York mentality "I need it yesterday" - Not for the weak, that for sure. LOVE my co-workers, I will take away friendships here that will stay with me for life. We always hang out in and outside of work. I have definitely learned alot being here for 15 months, but am anxious to learn more. I hope to move into a more leadership role with Digital soon. Great client interaction and Scott has always had an open door policy when it comes to issues, problems or just needing to talk. We shall see what the future holds for me

Cons

Long commute for me but I might move closer this year. I would have liked a better salary when starting, 24K seems a little low for the amount of work I do - I did get a bump this year, but if I would have started at my current salary, I would have been much happier - parking seems to be a bit unorganized, when it rains, I ususally wait 20 minutes for my car

More offsite events for employees, bonuses for lower level employees. I do like the management changes thus far, just a few more and youll have a perfect team :-)

8. Great learning opportunity among amazing people.

Current Employee - Group Integrated Media Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Group Integrated Media Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Unlimited growth opportunity, great learning environment, wonderful employees/people, beautiful new building, favorable time-off benefits, additional employee benefits (fresh market, food trucks, places to take a break and play games).

Cons

Compensation not commensurate with job performance, unnecessary internal pressure creates quick burnout, although hours are available for time-off vacation time is frowned upon, 24/7 is literal rather than as a supportive measure to accommodate clients in urgent situations.

Everyone understands that there are times that extended hours are necessary; however, there are plenty of studies that show that employees with work/life balance are more productive. Working nights, weekends, vacations, from the hospital, etc. as a regular practice leads to unrest, resentment, and lack of objectivity. Respect of this work/life balance also helps alleviate some of the turnover based on salary dissatisfaction and reduces negative sentiment in instances when longer hours are required.

Great place to learn, but not stay.

Former Employee - Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meet great people, and they'll want to help you learn. Everyone is super friendly aside from the executives who think they're better than everything.

Cons

Where do I begin? It's a place you come to learn the ropes but you don't stay longer than 2 years because it will suck you in. Brand tailing? What's that? It's really just a load of bs Jordan walks around saying to get newbies excited. But really, it wears off pretty quickly.

Nathanson is an awesome ecd and Goldberg is money. Give those two guys more power and you'll be golden. Let retail be a part of what you do but not all that you do. It's not a niche.

A place where opportunity is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gorgeous office building that is easily recognizable to anyone who lives locally.
    Great opportunity to work on multiple well-known accounts.
    Valuable on-boarding experience that provides insights to the different aspects of the business and agency.
    Wealth of information to be learned.

Cons

Little, to no organized training.
    A ton of negativity amongst staff regarding the agency (almost as if its fashionable)
    The opinion of the agency throughout the ad world.

Need better coffee!!!

Are we paid what we're worth

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working here has afforded me the opportunity to work with great people. The benefits are expensive and promotions happen in certain departments.

Cons

The time-off policies, work-life balance (in my department) is great and the atmosphere is one of the best I've ever worked for. Much improvement is needed in the area of pay... the salaries do not much the talent.

Please consider offering either bonuses or market pay to those individuals not commission based.

Zimmerman Advertising Photos