Zimmerman Advertising

Updated January 25, 2015
3.7

Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Pros
  • You're given a lot of responsibility off the bat because it's only a younger crowd that works there so you learn a lot (in 13 reviews)

• Best place to start your career and work your hardest to get where you want to be (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was generally good, though benefit packages could be improved (in 10 reviews)

• AWFUL work-life balance, late hours 24/7, worked weekends ALL the time, had NO life (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

150 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Advertising Bootcamp

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and I was immediately entrusted with great responsibility. Zimmerman is a great place to cut your teeth in the industry. I can confidently say that I feel like I can handle whatever future job and responsibilities it entails because I was able to quickly learn new material and endure high stress situations that I had never experienced from previous internships. Working here they throw you into the job which may or may not work for some people. At the beginning I was overwhelmed but adapted; if you are someone who is not able to handle a high volume of work and responsibilities, and needs constant hand-holding this may not be the place of work for you. If you are someone who is willing to grow as an individual and to take on new challenges I do encourage you to apply. From my experience, the work is rough and the hours are long but my co-workers, immediate supervisors and experiences I have gained from the job make it worth it. I have also been given the opportunity to interact with other departments and the freedom to sit in and learn what they do; my immediate supervisor actually encourages this and has helped me see what else is out there to learn besides Account Services.

Also the paid vacation, 401K, skeleton week and other benefits are a plus- especially starting out.

Cons

-The low salary. The pay especially in your first six months is absolutely terrible and the responsibility given to you is way above your title or pay. I'm not sure if they will ever change their salary for new employees because they have the high volume of new graduates that are in desperate need of jobs working in their favor. As I said before it's a great place starting out, but this is basically a paid internship. Due to the ridiculously low pay most employees will leave by their year mark after gaining needed experience to find higher paying jobs. I have seen a few instances where some employees leave and then later come back after years elsewhere to a higher position with much better pay.

-Most people, myself included, seem to be more loyal to their department than the agency itself. We feel disconnected from higher management. With our new President there has been a shift in this idea but I personally still feel the divide between the top floor and the subsequent lower floors.

-Getting promoted is either political or to fill in holes of people leaving.

-Terrible, terrible coffee (yes, this is a ridiculously dumb con but since we have to stay long hours and are sometimes extremely tired to function- decent coffee would be nice, especially for this caffeine addict).

-Outside of your department you feel like a number.

Please continue to connect more with your employees and treating them more like people instead of drones. With our new President this has definitely started to shift but there is still an "us and them" divide.

Life a Zimmerman

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

good people very creative work interment

Cons

work your but off But for good people. The work is balanced

take a break

An inspiring workplace culture. Be among the best.

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From the moment you walk in to the swanky headquarters you feel the inspiration in the air. Then you actually get to meet people and you realize the look of the place is still nothing compared to the talent that works here. At Zimmerman you get to become a sophisticated specialist in your chosen area. In smaller shops or in-house departments, marketers tend to wear too many hats to become truly sophisticated in each area. Here, there's enough room in the company for there to be specialists devoted to every piece of the puzzle from copywriting to social media scheduling to media buying (I believe they have people devoted to every area of marketing known to man). It's a place where you can soak up a lot of knowledge, work your butt off, and grow.

Cons

Although I haven't seen dysfunctional office politics between leadership and the "common folk", there can tend to be a bit of rivalry in the lower ranks because everyone wants to be the first considered for the next promotion opportunity. It can make people a little less open about communicating their struggles. But then again, one of the mantras here (there are many good ones) is "Suck it up and work harder". While that may often produce results, there's nothing like being friends with the people you work with. I personally hope to gain the trust of those around me so I can experience less of the secrecy and guardedness and get a better communicating team.

Always always always check in with everyone on your team. Trusting the people you have placed as supervisors to give you a fair and accurate account of everyone below them can give them a little too much power. You want to get to know every cog in the machine and not let any get rusty (even if they're not being noisy).

More than ten years, senior.

Current Employee - Media Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Media Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The obvious would be the new building and the recent return of Mr. Goldberg. What is rarely discussed is the creative department staffing. Zimmerman has benefited greatly from the industry contraction and as a result has a deep pool of highly skilled veterans with enviable pedigrees. And with the recent passing of Mr. Aurbach, the department is now under sole leadership of CCO Mr. Nathanson. These two represent the best possibility of producing a product, not just profits, of which the agency can be proud of.

Account Service has some very, very bright individuals.

Good traffic department.

Good media department.

Mr. Zimmerman. Bringing back Mr. Goldberg along with other recent changes hopefully signals a expanded world-view from Mr. Zimmerman, and if it materializes with his unique brand of enthusiasm his agency may get to really flex its muscle.

Cons

Lack of AS leadership. Account Service is one of the weakest I have ever experienced. Bombastic behavior beyond challenge at senior levels, little or no mentoring at junior levels, resulting in poor client relations. For the most part AS are glorified order takers. To be fair, the types of clients Zimmerman has attracted in the past contributes the the current state, but agencies get the clients they deserve and chase, so the blame is not without merit. This lack of leadership, and lack of real strategic thinking (see below) also accounts for many of the countless fire-drills exhausting the creative resources.

Weak AS support. Mostly newbies with little or no practical experience.

Strategic thinking. Sorely lacking. Rumor is the brightest people in the world run this department but that brilliance never seems to manifest itself into actionable strategic thinking, real insights even just a good workable brief.

Digital. Desperately in need of leadership. Some talented people wallowing in category cliches and mediocrity.

Excessive use of in-house production facility. Creates a strange kind of lazy nepotism.

Compensation. Excessively top heavy, sweatshop structure. Outside of a small single-digit percentage of employees, compensation is for the most part well below industry standards, not just nationally but in Florida as well. One might believe an agency which puts its own profits above the quality of its own product would compensate its employees well for participating in this value system, but that has not been the case to date. The up-side is you will never feel over-paid for what you do, the down-side is you may feel you're being cheated.

Agency Brand. It was disheartening for me to hear Mr. Goldberg continue the tired rhetoric about how other agencies were only concerned with the work and not the health of their clients' business, and how only Zimmerman cared about its clients' business. Not only is this not true, but it sounds like a desperate attempt to justify too many examples of sub-par creative product this agency produces, just as the new re-defining the shop as a retail growth machine and not an agency somehow excludes it from the same standards and criteria that other agencies are judged by. There is ample evidence dis-proving the reasoning in this type of bad-boy rant against the industry, and industry I might add which produces the kind of marketing efforts we all, including Mr. Goldberg admire and long to be a part of.

Horrible coffee. Like really bad coffee.

Mentor, mentor, mentor. Do not be afraid to slaughter your sacred cows. You've heard it before, but it merits repeating. Share the wealth and lead the industry in compensation rather than brining up the rear. There is a pride in being the hardest working in the ad arena, not so much when that's coupled with the lowest paid as well. Mentor, mentor, mentor. Let us be the best damn AD AGENCY.

All smoke and mirrors.

Former Employee - Creative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Creative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free hockey tickets & a discount at Party City.

Cons

No respect. The hierarchy of C-level then mgmt then others is based on patronizing and exploiting young talent, rather than recognizing and encouraging it. They lie to clients. No real creativity, fearlessness or innovation. Recycled and stale advertising is the norm. Endless meeting about nothing.

Stop meeting, start thinking. Do something different. Stop talking and start doing. Enough fake working.

Company Review

Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good competitive industry salary, positive working environment, good relationship among co-workers, good benefits for the employees and a top-notch office environment, plus a strong executive team with great expertise.

Cons

Traffic to get here is horrible for me, very long distance commute. Many times I need assistance to complete the over workload I have.

Create a Hispanic Division to pitch new accounts and growth the company income.

I have had a great experience working at Zimmerman and can honestly say I have no complaints.

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employees are so smart and innovative. You truly learn something new every day.

Cons

None. Working hard is extremely rewarding.

Keep up the great work!

Been here for 8+ years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have an awesome boss who has given me more than I ever dreamed could happen in my career. She allowed me to create my own systems and processes and encouraged me to keep up that mode of thinking, and here I am 8 years later with a job title I didn't even go to school for! Because of her I have learned almost every aspect of advertising, and I'm not done yet.
    Fun atmosphere, the department I work in is very laid back which allows us to keep stress levels down even though deadlines are INSANE.
    Learning opportunities and growth beyond imaginable: I've been here for over 8 years and have had 4/5 different titles, each time moving up and getting paid more. If you want to you can eventually become anything you desire as long as you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

Starting salaries are really low, LIKE CRAZY INSANE I have to eat ramen noodles and accumulate debt just to live LOW.
    The workload can sometimes keep you at work until the wee hours of the morning (3am is my record).
    In my department we rely HEAVILY on computers, if your machine is running properly your day can triple in length, often times repairs and upgrades are minimal with the "it costs too much money" excuse. To be the best we need the best tools!!
    There is no such thing as a training program, its sink or swim, which weeds out most of the people that can't hack it, but there should be something that is structured for every position.

Show more value in your employees who work their butts off to make sure that the clients are happy. Offering some sort of incentive program **cough cough** bonuses **cough cough**. Communication throughout all levels of work, if a deadline is promised EVERYONE should be included in that information, and those who are working to achieve that deadline beyond regular working hours, beyond "late" working hours, should be compensated (we used to have "late shift" pay, you've never seen so many people so happy to work until 2am in your life) <-- Late shift also helped to level of workloads and excel beyond deadlines, delivering finished work ahead of schedule in some cases.

Updating, upgrading and improvement of our computers is BEYOND NECESSARY. We are all adults and understand budgeting but when it comes to the departments that create the actual advertisement, special attention, care, and money must be paid. This will also make employees happier and more prideful of their workplace. To be able to say we have the best out there gives us the ability to produce the BEST work!

challenging but energizing

Current Employee - Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Nice people in a new attractive office and located in the sunshine state.

Cons

less design oriented than what I was aspecting, but I saw a huge improve in the last few years

improve the job briefing culture

Wouldn't have it any other way!

Current Employee - Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once I arrived at Zimmerman, the biggest factor I knew I had chosen the right place was a simple phrase I heard just days after my hire from Jordan, the founder... he was walking around as he usually does and noticed some empty work stations and said "Get all these empty work stations ready and hire to fill the positions, we'll get the work!" I was so intrigued with his commitment to growth and immediately saw opportunities to advance. 14 years later, I've held different titles and I'm still here and...wouldn't have it any other way!

Cons

Don't really have anything negative to say. Would I like to make more money... OF COURSE!

Some type of monetary yearly bonus. Just lifts moral of employees and makes even the least employee vested in.

Zimmerman Advertising Photos