Zimmerman Advertising

Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Pros
  • You're given a lot of responsibility off the bat because it's only a younger crowd that works there so you learn a lot (in 13 reviews)

• Best place to start your career and work your hardest to get where you want to be (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was generally good, though benefit packages could be improved (in 10 reviews)

• AWFUL work-life balance, late hours 24/7, worked weekends ALL the time, had NO life (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

National Level Clients & Work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

One of the great things about being at Zimmerman is the opportunity to work on national level accounts while being in Fort Lauderdale. There are almost no other places in the southeast that offer that kind of level of client. Despite the view of the agency from outside the wall of the company, the people here are energetic, excited and committed to doing great advertising.

Cons

It's very difficult to get rewarded for the efforts you put in. Salary increases have been small and I That's frustrating and disheartening. It brings down my opinion of the organization because I don't feel as if the company gives to me as much as I give to them. Often resources are thin as well. Not enough people available to handle the workload, especially since we work under very tight deadlines.

I know this company wants to be great and wants its employees to make it great -- and it can be if management leads by example and provides the resources necessary to get us there.

My experience has been very stress free.

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

I have a fantastic boss, the builiding environment is excellent and the people within. The skeleton week during christmas is a great idea, I think more companies should do that.

Cons

The only thing for me indivually is my salary, just a tad more would suffice. I believe that when I started it was just a little silly. I don't think HR at the time, actually looked at my resume. Anyway one main thing I don't like is the turn around with staff. That has to change. Maybe it hass already, I'm not sure.

I've been here almost 5 years already and have seen a good change in the way Zimmerman's upper management conducts themselves. Today they are so much more in tune with their employees, simply put they are all nice people and care. With Michael Goldberg and his team implementing these quarterly meetings and even this review reminds me of the company I used to work for previously. Back in the 90's and some 2000's they were doing the same thing. An individual I believe should feel like they have some sense of ownership where he/she works, not just to do the job. That's how I felt working there. Unfortunately the leader at that time left to pursue his career and the company's Fort Lauderdale branch has closed down. I hope this management team stays for the long term.

I look forward to coming to work every day

Current Employee - Associate Creative Director
    Current Employee - Associate Creative Director

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Since I started here 10 years ago, I've moved up the ranks relatively quickly. Management noticed my contributions and promoted me accordingly. As far as salary, I can't complain, Zimmerman has been good to me and my compensation has nearly doubled since I started. I really enjoy what I do, and can't imagine going to work anywhere else.

Cons

Moving up fast in the company has also turned out to be bit of a con. I seemed to have reached the top of my position, and not sure where I can grow from here.

Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a ton of opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of agency flow. It's a great place to start a career and hit the ground running as 80% of the employees are under the age of 35. And, the people you work with will become your best friends!

Cons

Unfortunately, salary is not an indication of the employee talent and most employees are not compensated fairly in comparison to other agencies in South Florida. Most employees come in and are expected to learn on the job with little, if any, training.

People are promoted from within but are not compensated fairly for promotions (3% - if you're lucky!). So, with the new title, people leave the agency to find better compensation. Therefore, Zimmerman is losing a lot of its talent.

Jr. AE

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Work environment is awesome. The building is very nice.

Cons

Pay is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They expect you to work numerous hours for little pay. Not much room for growth, and Executives can be a little self-centered. Management has changed for the better so hopefully things will change. Lets see what the new year brings. Actions speak louder than words....I do not trust what they have to say I rather see the changes.

Fast-paced, but lacked real thinking.

Former Employee - Account Supervisor
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You gain a lot of responsibility early in your career.

Cons

There isn't any smart thinking at the company. Further, the hours are ridiculous (e.g., 55 -65 hours a week) and the pay is sub-par.

Pay your employees more and hire smarter people.

current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a few things that make it a nice place but mainly it is the employees. There are some great people working there and I have made some good friends. They have offered many programs that are fun, and heathy, The benefits are good, but expensive. The offices are nice. The current creative management is supportive and inspirational. The leadership at the agency (Michael Goldberg) is inspired and smart. There are some really talented people working there.

Cons

The lack of planning is stressful. Too many fire drills on a daily basis. In an attempt to be responsive to clients ( a good thing) they too often subscribe to the Fire, Aim, Ready approach. This causes too many revisions which wastes resources both mentally and financially and infuses the process with stress and works against the agency goal to be a powerful creative company. Most of the best work being done doesn't get produced for anything except presentations. Too much cheap stock being used instead of working with photographers, and illustrators that help bring ideas to life.

The account service staff is often young and inexperienced, not excited about great work, and don't seem to be able to sell or support it on the majority of accounts. This creates a situation where the goals are not shared between departments and therefor division.

These things reduce the ability to attract better clients who want better more inspired work because the work isn't consistently good.

There isn't as much work/life balance as there should be. Life experiences outside of work are the fuel needed to create better work. This works against the agency goals and creates conflict internally.

Compensation isn't evenly shared enough. SVPs get bonuses but the masses do the work that earns them and get little in return. Not enough payback for the demands placed of them which causes a lack of caring by many employees. There has to be a reward of some kind ( I got to do great work, I made more money, I was mentored...something)

Employee culture is great, but the company seems to lack a human side. You can't create culture by demanding that it be so. Want to stand for something? Inspire people and produce great work. The recognition that brings creates employee that are proud to be part of it, and that creates a culture.

In short care more, recognized more, and stand for more. Do more than just talk about it.

Speak Fearlessly

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Potentially great agency..if management can look beyond just the ROI and give more appreciation to the people who make it happen.

Cons

Despite successes, like a boasted 300% increase from the in-house production studio, the best the agency can muster up for holiday "bonuses" is a dozen or so $50 gift cards to be raffled off amongst entire departments of kids scraping by on >30k/yr...adding insult to injury, one of said gift cards was happily accepted by a gushing top executive who clearly has embraced the agency ideal to lead fearlessly, even when that leadership is exhibited as giant middle finger to the employees who grind it out day after day, year after year, thinking THIS might be the year the culture changes. Zimmerman isn't lead by fearless leaders, it's lead by (some) disconnected and culturally challenged individuals.

learn when to do the right thing.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who will turn into your closest friends. Other employers always think highly of people who worked there for more than one yr as it shows great work ethic. During the holidays, they worked off a skeleton crew so you only worked one day during the last week of December.

Cons

Low pay as everyone is replaceable. Work is very segmented so you dont get exposure to alot . No one will care when you leave. Dont stay longer than 1.5 - 2 years.

A great place to grow and learn

Current Employee - Junior Level Employee
    Current Employee - Junior Level Employee

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a place where learning happens. No matter the department, you can grow with the company or grow as an individual for your next career move. HR works really hard to keep a high moral and provide perks/activities throughout the year.

Cons

Its a lot of hard work and some crazy/random requests at times. You can also end up with a bad experience if you dont fit in with your team. The relationship with your co workers needs to be a positive one for you to enjoy working here, or any where really. Personalities clash, it happens, learn to work with one another- its a big place with A LOT of people

Its a fast paced environment with the client's needs first before ourselves, understood. But in order to give the client 100% you need a team that is committed to work 100%. Focus on creating a great team and placing the best people on the biggest opportunities rather than the biggest problems. Value your team and value their character, work ethic and intelligence over particular skills that can be taught. "First who.. then what."

Zimmerman Advertising Photos