Zimmerman Advertising

Updated December 24, 2014
3.7

Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Pros
  • You're given a lot of responsibility off the bat because it's only a younger crowd that works there so you learn a lot (in 13 reviews)

• Best place to start your career and work your hardest to get where you want to be (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was generally good, though benefit packages could be improved (in 10 reviews)

• AWFUL work-life balance, late hours 24/7, worked weekends ALL the time, had NO life (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to grow and learn

Current Employee - Junior Level Employee
    Current Employee - Junior Level Employee

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a place where learning happens. No matter the department, you can grow with the company or grow as an individual for your next career move. HR works really hard to keep a high moral and provide perks/activities throughout the year.

Cons

Its a lot of hard work and some crazy/random requests at times. You can also end up with a bad experience if you dont fit in with your team. The relationship with your co workers needs to be a positive one for you to enjoy working here, or any where really. Personalities clash, it happens, learn to work with one another- its a big place with A LOT of people

Its a fast paced environment with the client's needs first before ourselves, understood. But in order to give the client 100% you need a team that is committed to work 100%. Focus on creating a great team and placing the best people on the biggest opportunities rather than the biggest problems. Value your team and value their character, work ethic and intelligence over particular skills that can be taught. "First who.. then what."

change is good; make more

Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great talent within the organization, delivering some solid work. Great new building and dedicated HR team that works very hard to give people reasons to like working there. Getting the new CEO on board earlier would have prevented many losses (in talent and clients) over the past few years. Obviously, based on the 180 change in reviews over the past few months, the sentiment is universal. Jordan is an accomplished, hard working leader, but he has not surrounded himself with the executive leadership the agency needs. Glad to see this first step!

Cons

Significant change is still needed among the leadership team. Most of the executive team members have gotten where they are due to tenure and internal relationships. Talented outsiders quickly realized they would not have the operating authority or tools to succeed and left, rather than risk their professional reputations. Most of those remaining truly don't have the experience or skills to deliver against their titles, and they would not have them at other agencies. The current lineup not only hinders the agency's growth, but the growth of other team members who have no one to train and mentor them.

Go out and get the senior talent you need to succeed. Then, continue to serve the loyal clients you have while attracting more sophisticated ones. Ensure plans, budgets and resources are aligned for each account to avoid burning team members out, delivering marginal work and disappointing clients. Don't just take any client you can get for the lowest price they're willing to pay. You're better than that!

Overall Review of Zimmerman Advertising

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Great co-workers! My direct manager very good.

Cons

Career advancement not good at all. Mgmt. talks a good game, but actions do not support claims.

Learn to embrace potential of employees. Company is stuck in the past glory. Zimmerman can do better, if they do what they say.

Great atmosphere

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

The people and the knowledge you gain. Also a better understanding of advertising

Cons

Sometimes long hours and no extra compensation

Try to at least work with people and give them a chance to prove themselves to move to another position.

Ego Driven NUT HOUSE

Former Employee - Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While I did have fun at Zimmerman, the Creative that comes out of this agency is from 1990. Posters, Banners, SALE SALE SALE - "Buy One Get One FREE" LOL - Come on guys, step up. I see they have a new building, well isnt that just great. Jordan Zimmerman spending even MORE money that could be given to the employees. The Rich get Richer while they step on the bones of the working man - Maybe they got rid of the Black Mold issue and clients being stuck in the elevator. If you want to start your career with the almight Z - go ahead, then get experience and run like hell.

Cons

I think you can see my rant on Pros -

The millions on bonuses could be shared JUST a little. Do you REALLY need another Lambo?

You said Be Honest....

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great agency environment, complete with Food Truck Fridays, Offsite Sporting Events and Happy Hours
    Incredibly smart people (for the most part) who are young and open to sharing knowledge
    Lots of opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Does not reward loyalty, dedication, long hours
    Positive work/life balance is only appearance / skin-deep
    Uses "agency" environment (free soda) to reward - growth should go deeper than that
    Anti-certification beyond what's immediately necessary

Better reward your employees that work hard and well for you. You've lost too many great people and you'll only lose more unless you give people what they need - the motivation to dedicate even more. That comes from personal recognition, promotions, autonomy, salary increases. If you don't do this, you'll continue to get young inexperienced people who once they learn, leave Zimmerman once they realize the lack of room for true growth. Growth should not be limited to the 30 people that have been around for 10+ years... it should be open to ANYone who can show the capacity to improve the company, are loyal and dedicated, and prove those things

Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a ton of opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of agency flow. It's a great place to start a career and hit the ground running as 80% of the employees are under the age of 35. And, the people you work with will become your best friends!

Cons

Unfortunately, salary is not an indication of the employee talent and most employees are not compensated fairly in comparison to other agencies in South Florida. Most employees come in and are expected to learn on the job with little, if any, training.

People are promoted from within but are not compensated fairly for promotions (3% - if you're lucky!). So, with the new title, people leave the agency to find better compensation. Therefore, Zimmerman is losing a lot of its talent.

zReview - Good Grief

Current Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You know Zimmerman is not that bad. It has its ups and downs, but overall its a cool place. I have been here about 11 months and should be getting a bump in salary at my 1 year mark. Traffic is not the glamerous Ad Agency job that you would think but it I am learning alot and happy with my co-workers.

Cons

If I see another dang zCafe or zHoliday or zLife, I am gonna zFlip out

It seems we are always under the gun, I would hire additional staff to keep up with our clients demands

Great Culture

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Such nice people! It makes all the difference to come in to work and be surrounded by such kind and fun people! We have so much fun, I feel like I laugh all day long. The managers are laid back and super smart, so I am constantly learning. The thing I love most about this place is the career growth. Having come in at an entry level, there is lots of potential for growth and they offer a lot of additional training!

Cons

It does take time to get acclimated, it can be a little distracting being in such a fast paced environment and keeping up. And being around your friends all day can be distracting, but we know when we have to get things done.

Be more patient, the entry level folks are new and learning.

Inspiring

Current Employee - Assistant Media Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Media Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never worked at a place that works so hard to inspire their employees. There are always motivational presentations, events and training to ensure the success of everyone within the agency. The clients are major players in the retail market and at Zimmerman everyone is an advocate. It's been a great experience so far!

Cons

Overwhelming at times. There's always a lot going on and with high level clients, they expect perfection. It can be intimidating and a lot to take in as new grad, but I know this is what I signed up for being in the ad world.

Give us some time to adjust. I think that 90 day period should be taken in to consideration to adjust and learn the ropes.

Zimmerman Advertising Photos