Zimmerman Advertising Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
248 reviews filtered by

An inspiring workplace culture. Be among the best.

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the moment you walk in to the swanky headquarters you feel the inspiration in the air. Then you actually get to meet people and you realize the look of the place is still nothing compared to the talent that works here. At Zimmerman you get to become a sophisticated specialist in your chosen area. In smaller shops or in-house departments, marketers tend to wear too many hats to become truly sophisticated in each area. Here, there's enough room in the company for there to be specialists devoted to every piece of the puzzle from copywriting to social media scheduling to media buying (I believe they have people devoted to every area of marketing known to man). It's a place where you can soak up a lot of knowledge, work your butt off, and grow.

Cons

Although I haven't seen dysfunctional office politics between leadership and the "common folk", there can tend to be a bit of rivalry in the lower ranks because everyone wants to be the first considered for the next promotion opportunity. It can make people a little less open about communicating their struggles. But then again, one of the mantras here (there are many good ones) is "Suck it up and work harder". While that may often produce results, there's nothing like being friends with the people you work with. I personally hope to gain the trust of those around me so I can experience less of the secrecy and guardedness and get a better communicating team.

Advice to Management

Always always always check in with everyone on your team. Trusting the people you have placed as supervisors to give you a fair and accurate account of everyone below them can give them a little too much power. You want to get to know every cog in the machine and not let any get rusty (even if they're not being noisy).

All smoke and mirrors.

Former Employee - Creative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Creative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free hockey tickets & a discount at Party City.

Cons

No respect. The hierarchy of C-level then mgmt then others is based on patronizing and exploiting young talent, rather than recognizing and encouraging it. They lie to clients. No real creativity, fearlessness or innovation. Recycled and stale advertising is the norm. Endless meeting about nothing.

Advice to Management

Stop meeting, start thinking. Do something different. Stop talking and start doing. Enough fake working.

Out of Touch with Employees and Creativity

Current Employee - Creative
    Current Employee - Creative

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Great People who do their best to create good work within the culture of mediocrity. New offices a much needed upgrade the previous cramped quarters.

Cons

Zimmerman has a well earned reputation for turning out a huge amount of lackluster work in a short amount of time. At least I do not work on auto ads with copy full of terrible grammar and a Billy Mays shouting style. These clients come and go as often as the employees at the agency. How terribly inefficient is it to train newbies who leave as soon as they get some experience and realize the culture in which they work is based on often extremely unrewarding and mediocre.

The agency claims that they care more about results than advertising awards, This is a phony excuse which sounds like sour grapes for their lack of creativity and respect in the industry. Stop railing against the community of which you are a part and embrace an ethic which exudes some class. Jordan Zimmerman holds contests, the winner of which gets to have lunch with him. This is extremely embarrassing to those who work for him and I am quite sure to current and prospective clients as well. What client feels comfortable with such narcissism? As a long time creative employee, it shows a lack of respect for those of us who have to make excuses for such a lack of class.

We recently had a all employee rallying meeting led by new CEO Michael Goldberg. He had previously been a huge asset to the company and left to pursue a PR career in NY. I do have hope that his return will attract new clients, in part by buffering the egotism that fuels the agency. The meeting was ironically a client presentation to it's own employees. When you have to sell yourself to your own company, something is terribly out of whack. They have a new internal(?) logo of a raised clench fist.. It simply seems anarchistic and classless. "No more excuses" was a phrased used. A company should not have to feel that excuses would ever have to be made to the advertising community and its employees if they were proud of their work and corporate ethics. The recent scandal of its management team should not have come as a surprise as it simply reflects the culture of .. let's just say not the highest corporate morality.

The notion that we are a company who builds other businesses and one who "just happens to do advertising" is disingenuous. Why not change the name from Zimmerman Advertising to Zimmerman Business Consultants? All agencies care about the performance of their clients or they would not last in such a competitive environment. Zimmerman should build its own corporate reputation by embracing the value of its employees and it own work.

I often work at the production facility which in my opinion houses some very talented people. Unfortunately it is dingy and there is someone there who cackles like a hyena and is louder than I can possibly describe. What on earth is that about? Does the management not realize that this is extremely unprofessional and is a huge distraction for those of use working with the editors?

I have worked here for almost eight years having come to the agency as a creative with solid advertising experience. The creative output leaves so much to be desired but all in all I do my job and do not worry about my personal situation. I write this for two reasons: Firstly, we were asked by Michael Goldberg to post honest reviews here. I do so in an effort to express what the state of affairs is. To his great credit, he says that what has been the policy in the past cannot be changed, so secondly to point out what is demoralizing the Zimmerman staff and to stop the bleeding in terms of the loss of so many clients

Advice to Management

Respect. It is truly lacking...for employees and the industry of which you are a part. You reap what you sow. No more excuses need not be a phrased used if you show some class and show pride. Client results, high creativity, morality and pride are not mutually exclusive.

5. So far so good! I've only been here one month but everyone has been kind and patient while I onboard.

Current Employee - Media Planning Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Media Planning Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Opportunity for growth in position. Office culture is relaxed and not stressful or fearful.

Cons

limited flexibility on working from home.

6. I have had a great experience working at Zimmerman and can honestly say I have no complaints.

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are so smart and innovative. You truly learn something new every day.

Cons

None. Working hard is extremely rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. Great people, unsophisticated clients.

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I haven't worked with a better group of people. Lots of passion for the work we do, great collaboration, and lots of voices are heard. A true 'team' mentality in a company with close to 1,000 employees - that's no small win. Hierarchy is in place, but no one is held back from rising quickly - if they're willing to work for it.

Cons

Entry-level employees get paid peanuts. It improves for mid-to-senior level employees. But a common sentiment is that the only way to get a raise is to leave, and that's too bad. Outside of that, people love it here - but many of them tire of the compensation game, know that they can get paid better elsewhere, and then do. Some departments are understaffed, too.

Advice to Management

Pay at the industry level.

Company Review

Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good competitive industry salary, positive working environment, good relationship among co-workers, good benefits for the employees and a top-notch office environment, plus a strong executive team with great expertise.

Cons

Traffic to get here is horrible for me, very long distance commute. Many times I need assistance to complete the over workload I have.

Advice to Management

Create a Hispanic Division to pitch new accounts and growth the company income.

challenging but energizing

Current Employee - Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising

Pros

Nice people in a new attractive office and located in the sunshine state.

Cons

less design oriented than what I was aspecting, but I saw a huge improve in the last few years

Advice to Management

improve the job briefing culture

Been here for 8+ years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have an awesome boss who has given me more than I ever dreamed could happen in my career. She allowed me to create my own systems and processes and encouraged me to keep up that mode of thinking, and here I am 8 years later with a job title I didn't even go to school for! Because of her I have learned almost every aspect of advertising, and I'm not done yet.
    Fun atmosphere, the department I work in is very laid back which allows us to keep stress levels down even though deadlines are INSANE.
    Learning opportunities and growth beyond imaginable: I've been here for over 8 years and have had 4/5 different titles, each time moving up and getting paid more. If you want to you can eventually become anything you desire as long as you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

Starting salaries are really low, LIKE CRAZY INSANE I have to eat ramen noodles and accumulate debt just to live LOW.
    The workload can sometimes keep you at work until the wee hours of the morning (3am is my record).
    In my department we rely HEAVILY on computers, if your machine is running properly your day can triple in length, often times repairs and upgrades are minimal with the "it costs too much money" excuse. To be the best we need the best tools!!
    There is no such thing as a training program, its sink or swim, which weeds out most of the people that can't hack it, but there should be something that is structured for every position.

Advice to Management

Show more value in your employees who work their butts off to make sure that the clients are happy. Offering some sort of incentive program **cough cough** bonuses **cough cough**. Communication throughout all levels of work, if a deadline is promised EVERYONE should be included in that information, and those who are working to achieve that deadline beyond regular working hours, beyond "late" working hours, should be compensated (we used to have "late shift" pay, you've never seen so many people so happy to work until 2am in your life) <-- Late shift also helped to level of workloads and excel beyond deadlines, delivering finished work ahead of schedule in some cases.

Updating, upgrading and improvement of our computers is BEYOND NECESSARY. We are all adults and understand budgeting but when it comes to the departments that create the actual advertisement, special attention, care, and money must be paid. This will also make employees happier and more prideful of their workplace. To be able to say we have the best out there gives us the ability to produce the BEST work!

11. I am very proud to be apart of Zimmerman Advertising.

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love the new direction the company is headed. I am both inspired and motivated to take the industry by storm! The culture of this company is a great fit for anyone who loves to win. At Zimmerman, conflict is not an issue it's a must. We are encouraged to speak up and participate in a way that not only enhances our company but also builds a safe haven for outrageous creativity. I love making the difference for our clients and I am honored to be apart of a winning team that measures success by results!

Cons

There are not many cons to this company but I must say that if you don't like to work hard look elsewhere. We all are extremely dedicated to the success of our clients so we literally work 24/7 if necessary. In the past, I would also complain about not being as involved as I wanted to be but thanks to new leadership that is changing. I now feel empowered to share my expertise versus feeling scared to offend anyone. It feels great to feel valued.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to continue to include everyone's perspectives, ideas, etc. and not just the higher ups. Zimmerman is full of brilliant people but you'll never know someone's true potential if you limit them to simple entry level work. Allow everyone the opportunity to advance their skills, responsibilities, and eventually their position in the company.

Zimmerman Advertising Photos