Zinio

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
2.6

Arthur Becker

The company to work for if you want to leave a dent in tech industry.

I have been working at Zinio full-time

Pros

Everyone is a major stakeholder and can influence the product immensely. People respect each other and value opinions. There are occasional lunch outings, happy hours. It's a very laid back work environment.

Cons

You will have way more responsibilities than your average startup.

Promote meritocracy.

Looking good and getting much better

Current Employee - Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zinio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive culture promoted by no nonsense leaders who have seen the bad times and are continually working to make it a great place
    Feels like a team
    Bonus structure put in place
    Hiring at nearly all locations
    Still a great concept

Cons

International markets not well targeted- though this is an opportunity which we are working on developing, especially mobile
    Some bad glass door reviews by disgruntled employees who have left Zinio but can't let go.

Keep it going, don't lose the positive momentum

Work here if you want your career to fail!!

I have been working at Zinio full-time

Pros

There are no pros.. No really. ( they do provide health benefits and the occasionally breakfast if there happens to be anything left). No 401K, no Team outings, or company outings, no bonus.

Cons

Pretty much the direction and future of this company is in the dumps.

New CEO, as the current one absent, is past his retirement age, has no digital/technology experience. He is driving this company to its knees

Turn around is looking good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zinio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Downsizing has removed a lot of inter-departmental rivalries and personal bitterness that had created a negative atmosphere. A much smaller team allows new people to have a big impact very quickly.

Work has begun to replace what is broken and modernize all aspects of the company. New hires are bringing in lots of talent and fresh energy.

The company is now profitable, with a well thought out business plan and new management with experience turning around companies.

Cons

Lots of work to correct years of mismanagement. Company is becoming spread out geographically, which may lead to difficulties in communication.

Making progress

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zinio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you read the reviews here you can see that Zinio has been through a series of transitions but it's a very different company to work at than the one it was a year ago. There is strong leadership, the management is finally functional, politics is more or less gone and the company is focused on engineering with a positive and collaborative culture.

I've been here for a few years and seen the ups and downs but it's now a good place to work. We're investing and hiring.

Cons

It's a very international company and communicating with colleagues can mean early morning or late night calls.

Poorly managed company that treats technical staff like drudges

I worked at Zinio full-time

Pros

The idea itself is a great one. I'm typing additional words to reach the 20 word minimum because I can't think of anything else to say here.

Cons

The executive staff are incompetent and disrespectful to employees. In particular, the technical staff is treated like a slave force that is expected to work long hours for little return and generally treated like crap. The folks who maintained the relationships with publishers seemed to fair a little better.

Profound Lack of Leadership, Direction, and Awareness

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zinio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient location, average benefits, mostly good to great co-workers.
    App could be the next great thing.

Cons

- Lack of a comprehensive staff management plan: No regular reviews, salary increases, or training. "Upgraded" titles are often given rather than pay raises. No tuition reimbursement. Very little staff development. Staff retention is an afterthought. Recruitment appears to be crisis based.

- A complete and total focus on marketing and partnerships rather than a balanced set of initiatives focusing on users and groups, incremental (and consistent) app development, and innovation -- along with marketing.

- A culture of silos and territories. Within each silo, work life can be somewhat satisfactory but when trying to create a "multi-silo" movement or effort, politics seems to rule the day.

- Executives do not understand roles and responsibilities of product and project managers, stakeholders, and owners. Often, product and project managers are the developers, testers, HR department, accounting - it's a mess.

- Management, past and present, seems to mostly come from the marketing side, rather than the tech or development side. The focus on promotion rather than refinement and innovation is the one of the key problems.

- Because management is marketing and sales, appearances and politics matter more than actual results. This is a huge concern.

- Executive team appears to be focused on crisis management rather than on growing the internal teams and facilitating excellence.

- More SVP, VP, AD, etc. than needed. Flatten the org chart.

- Show up in the office on a regular basis.
    - Get involved with your key managers, all through the company.
    - Become a welcome team member rather than a harbinger of doom.
    - Spend more time on developing your staff, app, and culture. Another inane marketing scheme will not save the company.
    - It's not about bagels and coffee. It's about listening.
    - Create a less sexist centered workplace.

Bleeding at the seams

I worked at Zinio part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some helpful employees, decent pay.

Cons

Not a lot of respect for employees, regular lay offs.

Bad decision, after bad decision followed by even worse solutions

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zinio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free bagels every Mon, Wed and Fri.
    Great location, close to BART and Muni. Great for going on interviews during your lunch hour.
    The people are truly amazing, fun, cultured and interesting to be around.
    Extremely talented core group.
    If you ask nicely, the office manager will get you almost anything you want within reason.

Cons

The bad managers are being replaced with worse managers.
    The good managers are being told they don't matter and are prevented from doing good work.
    The new CEO shows up even less than the previous CEO who was only here 3-4 days out of the month.
    More than likely you will be underpaid and overworked. And don't expect a raise when they tell you raises are coming soon.
    Product Managers end up project managing their own products which causes conflicts of interest.
    You will break your back or ruin your personal life for this company.

Stop sitting at your desk openly perusing LinkedIn and disappearing for 3 hour lunch breaks *cough* interviews *cough*. No one wants to work hard for an executive team getting ready to jump ship after just a few months on board.
    Pay attention to what is happening, your letting your only engineers with institutional knowledge walk out the door. Has any of you ever learned why "retention" matters so much in software engineering?
    Take care of your prized employees, reward them.

O Captain! My Captain!

I have been working at Zinio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free magazines, bagels every other day. Great location and nice office. Great healthcare. There are some really smart people working here, but I am not really sure why. Not sure why I still work here.

Cons

Zinio is demonstrating a last attempt to give CPR to magazines - I loved magazines growing up, but the internet gives me all I need. Being the biggest company in a dead industry is not enough. Innovation is our only savior.

The company doesn't care about you - endless layoffs, They also make sure to time the layoffs just at the end of the month so they don't have to pay for your healthcare.

The company will not care what you think - if you see a problem, a major problem with the company, its best to keep it to yourself, they don't care.

Above all, the company is a ticking time bomb - 12 years in business, and never once a profit... red flag.

First off, if the company headquarters are in San Francisco, that means its your headquarters. Where are you? The best thing I can think of is that you know Zinio is going down the drain and you want nothing to do with it. The sad thing about Zinio is that there are many people here that want to see Zinio succeed, including myself. Of course you wouldn't know that, you are never here. O Captain! My Captain! Where are you? Oh and the VP(first mate), you are also absent, is this a trend we should all except?