ZipRealty

Updated November 18, 2014
3.2

ZipRealty President, CEO, and Director Charles C. (Lanny) Baker
Charles C. (Lanny) Baker

Pros
  • I also appreciate the great work-life balance I have here (in 5 reviews)

• Great technology, training and support (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission splits are so low that many agents are new or only part-time -- large turnover (in 3 reviews)

• High turnover rate, leads are consisitency reassigned to other agents when an agent leaves the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time

Pros

Lots of responsibility and hands-on experience; great team environment; company values work-life balance; shuttle to/from Bart great for people who live in SF; nice walking paths all around

Cons

Lack of good dining options within the immediate area; chills and subway and specialties; gets deserted quickly after hours

Great people, interesting work, and fantastic work-life balance

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time

Pros

My favorite part about working at ZipRealty is the people! I feel very lucky to be part of such a smart, motivated team and I'm always impressed by their willingness to lend a helping hand.

I also appreciate the great work-life balance I have here. We work hard and get the job done, but we also head home at a reasonable hour - a tall order for a Bay Area tech company.

Cons

Not as many perks as some Bay Area companies (e.g. no free, catered lunch).

Fantastic place to start!

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Patterson, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Patterson, CA

I worked at ZipRealty

Pros

Training on all aspects of the sales and listing process. Supportive and positive upper management.

Cons

Started out as an employee and a few months in they changed to independent contractors. Difficult for me as I was new to real estate and the only source of income for my family.

Keep providing stellar training to your new agents.

It's like being part of a family.

I have been working at ZipRealty

Pros

Working with great people: The culture is all about helping each other, the abundance of web leads that agents get prevent any unhealthy competition among agents. We share knowledge and best practices. Training is good with daily classes by top agents vis web conference.
    Caring management: They truly care about the consumer and the employees.
    Challenge of new business model in Real Estate Industry.
    Benefit package, with expense reimbursement health care 401k.

Cons

Tough to practice real estate in general right now.
    Cost cutting measures in the past year have been tough but will be sanitary in the long term.
    Brokerage is perceived as discount when we really are full service.

Do less tech like adding more widgets on the site, and spend the money on more traditional brand building.

Trying to do a better job then other brokerages out there.

I have been working at ZipRealty

Pros

At Zip you know that you are working hard to help buyers find their perfect house, and to be sure that they get the service they want an need. The company is very focused around customer service and does everything it can to be sure that they are better then the competitors at that. Customers want to work with zip because of the website and because they have had bad experiences before. Their is a strong belief here that zip is doing something different and better then the rest of the industry. Management also tries to make it a fun place to be.

Cons

The industry is difficult. Real estate can be cut throat, and not all agents are cut out for what they need to do. Company is flat so career progression can seem slow. Salaries are not aggressive. The stock has fallen a lot.

Take care of your best people. listen to all employees.

Good company in a tough industry

Current Employee - Realtor in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Realtor in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at ZipRealty

Pros

Compassionate company. innovative. Good people. Job effects a lot of real people and their dream and hopes. Strong team feeling. i believe that pat is looking to do the right thing for the company and really cares about what goes on, but I am not sure if he has the team to do what he needs to do. Some management is pretty good, some are clueless, Experience really varies based on where you are working. Also really good technology for a real estate company.

Cons

tough industry. the industry is fighting the changes. Pretty lean structure withe very little back-up. Salaries are lower then others.

Take care of your people and they will take care of the company.

Great for engineering growth

Current Employee - Director in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking to advance a basic or solid engineering skill-set in Java development, Front-End development, QA or UI/UX great opportunity to work on SaaS product.

Cons

Hire quickly to get more hands on deck.

Great resources

I have been working at ZipRealty

Pros

Great technology, training and support. No need for a brick and mortar office.

Cons

More regional. Not developed in all areas. Less brand recognition

Provided great resources and opportunities

Current Employee - Realtor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing technology, great lead generation system, amazing apps, great local support

Cons

Lack of offices, limited team meetings

Good place to start. Office is very friendly.

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice you get leads right away, but they are pretty much all old, cold, reassigned contacts who do not respond to email greetings. For those who are wondering exactly what they do pay, here it is. Qualifying revenue is 80% of the commission (usually 2-3% for each lister/buyer agent), minus 50% until you earn $52k, then it goes to 75% until another peak, then 80%. This sounds low, but you do not have any office, franchise, coffee, or lead fees. My boss claims he made more in 1.5 years at Zip than in 4 years at another broker. They do have good, frequent training. Initial one-week training is all about their website that you use once an agent, not the general website. I love that I can work from home. No floor time, office time, BS time.

Cons

Apparently any broker will hire any agent to boost their numbers. I hope this company comes through for me. Their selling point is their software.