Zipcar Reviews

Reset
2.4
Zipcar President Kaye Ceille
Kaye Ceille

Pros
  • Discount on zipcars to use personally, laid back culture with very friendly employees and very visible management (in 7 reviews)

• This used to be a great mission driven company and some great people still remain (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little room for growth (in 5 reviews)

• Despite Zipcar outwardly retaining its own brand after the buyout by Avis Budget Group, internally there has been a huge shift in culture (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Amazing Company

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Miami, FL

I worked at Zipcar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, motivating management, great team

Cons

Not always consistent work, but was great as an extra job

2. The people here are talented and super-friendly

Current Employee - Member Services Associate
    Current Employee - Member Services Associate

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people to work with. Flexibility by management to try other career paths. Management is very supportive and will do what they can to make you succeed.

Cons

Salary is very low. Our counterparts at other companies get paid more for working less than we do. Member Services always seems to be very disregarded.

Advice to Management

There are many in the company who stay much longer, years maybe, if the pay was more. However, the low pay, ultimately forces us to leave.

3. Brand Ambassidor

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador

I worked at Zipcar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great introductory sales position. it teaches you how to become social, handle rejection, peoples needs and see if a membership is best for them. $12 hourly and 75% Zipcar rentals on weekdays

Cons

its a stepping stone position and needs to be worked vicariously

Advice to Management

incentive based rewards for membership signups. Hourly + $20 driving credit per new member activation

5. Former Employee

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Phila, PA

I worked at Zipcar (More than a year)

Pros

I worked a part time job as a brand ambassador and they were pretty flexible about working with my schedule. The supervisors were good.

Cons

There were less hours in the winter. There were also a few early morning shifts that couldn't be avoided.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on more opportunities in the winter months. It was good when I was there but could still be better.

6. Fun people and company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great culture. Loved working there. Everyone very collaborative. A place I worked where even though I left I remain friends with many of the people I met there.

Cons

Not sure how much they changed once they were bought by a larger car rental company. I was worried it may change the culture

Advice to Management

Make sure you stick with what made Zipcar great in the first place. Never change the culture. You will do great things.

It was great before it turned into Avis On Demand

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zipcar was a fun innovative company. There was a sense of community among the employees. You can still find that in the local offices. The corporate office has succumb to the influences of Avis.

Cons

It is becoming Avis on Demand. ABG originally said that they did not want to take the Zip out of Zipcar. They stayed true to their word for the first year or so. Unfortunately the Zipcar green is fading and beginning to turn red.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately I'm not sure what can be done at this point. I think that it has become the corporate Avis that we all hoped it would not become.

8. Field marketing

Former Employee - Field Marketing Team in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Team in Seattle, WA

Pros

This job is truly a run-around and throw everything together type of gig. There is guidance from manager but mostly you learn from peers. You get to set up in some pretty cool places, Microsoft, Amazon, universities and so on. If you like being going on the fly and being out beating the streets this is a great part-time opportunity. Great relaxed work and great new focus on metrics. Lots of opportunity to move up if willing to move.

Cons

They upped the pay before I left, but this is not for the ambitious person looking to prove themselves if you want to stay in Seattle. You do it for the reduced rate on driving during the weekdays. It gets old going to the same places and trying to pitch to the same crowd. Personally, I think the pricing doesnt make sense yet and the fees for returning late and membership are too much.

Advice to Management

Keep the fun going. Marketing manager who left kept it fun but the serious one took over sense who is a micro-manager.

9. Amazing culture, great place to move up the ladder, compensation could be improved.

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture. You get to work with friends. Wear almost anything I want. Have afternoon in-office brews to help productivity. And You can move up the ladder very quickly if you have a desire to. Some people say they change who they are at work vs. normal social situations. That's not the case here. We work hard and play harder. Seriously, working here is awesome sauce.

Cons

Compensation could be improved. Zipcar is in an extremely competitive industry that despite buzz and growth, actually has a lower than you would expect profit-margin, so I understand why, but it is a consideration.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation to better retain talent.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

Everything you can possibly think of working here is a con.

Advice to Management

Revamp everything from the group up.

A Shame

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some great people still here, although more and more are leaving every day.

Cons

As most people have said, Zipcar used to be a great place to work. Unfortunately, the Avis acquisition has turned the fun, trendy company into what is starting to feel like a daycare. When every decision, and I mean EVERY decision, needs to be approved by people who have never stepped foot in the office or spoken to the majority of the employees, it's tough to hang on to any of the talent that made the company so great to begin with. Pumping us with unnecessary jargon and catch phrases is not the way to build morale. We're not stupid, and we're not children, so treat us as peers and tell us what's really going on.

Advice to Management

It's too late at this point, but let's pretend it's a year ago...Treat your employees like human beings, and do something, anything, to hang on to the talented people that built this company. Don't allow the turnover to become so frequent that a 2 year employee is a veteran and has more knowledge than most. I truly hope Zipcar is still around in a few years, but it's looking less and less likely.

RSS Feed </> Embed