Zipcar Reviews

Reset
2.8
Zipcar President Kaye Ceille
Kaye Ceille

Pros
  • Discount on zipcars to use personally, laid back culture with very friendly employees and very visible management (in 7 reviews)

• This used to be a great mission driven company and some great people still remain (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little room for growth (in 5 reviews)

• Despite Zipcar outwardly retaining its own brand after the buyout by Avis Budget Group, internally there has been a huge shift in culture (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Zipcar

Former Employee - Street Team in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Street Team in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Zipcar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and flexi schedule

Cons

Lots of sales and unstructured management

Advice to Management

More organization

Awful experience, would not recommend

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of one.

Cons

Every thing accept the pay.

Advice to Management

Give up your job and let a more real management take over.

Zipcar is run by thieves!

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, absolute waste of 2 years of my life!

Cons

They REDUCED bonus payouts, AFTER sales were made! The commission structure was 'modified' 3 times in one year. Each time the payouts were reduced. I was the #1 Account Executive and made 300K for Zipcar (120% over quota), only to be thanked by receive LESS money than promised. They made money, and stole from the sales staff. Do NOT work for Zipcar!

Advice to Management

Remember your employees are human.

Going downhill fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This used to be a great mission driven company and some great people still remain. The Seaport location is great.

Cons

Since the acquisition by ABG, everything has changed and many good people have left. The only objective seems to be synergy The parent company does not understand car sharing, nor do they understand anything about a mission driven organization. All they want is to make a profit. Communication is very lacking and a command and control environment is being implemented. Zipcar has the potential to be a great company, if it is left alone to run as a truly separate division, but ABG is too arrogant to let that happen.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to run the place like a rental car company. HIre a management team that is worthy of the Zipcar reputation.

Lack of Structure and Phony Culture

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Descent Pay - Fun Internal Events - Majority of teammates are wonderful, smart and ambitious

Cons

- Lack of direction from unqualified executives - Very cliquey - Lack of leadership direction - Expected to work long hours and weekends with little award for hard work - No process or strategies - Must of the workflow is undefined with unclear goals for projects - They have not embraced the "no jerks" rule here.

Zipcar used to be an exciting, fun, value driven, and innovative place to be but was ruined by Avis - Budget Group.

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Known brand, discounted use of cars.

Cons

After Avis took over, there are no longer any programs to support the development, engagement, or retention of key talent. Almost all the smart people have left and it no longer is a draw for key talent. Its very corporate now.

Advice to Management

Go back to the Zipcar fundamentals: hire really smart people, give them freedom to innovate, and support their development, success, and engagement. Let Zipcar be cool again, stop trying to impose your corporate values on it.

8. From Flexcar to Zipcar to Avis...

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

I worked for Flexcar when Zipcar acquired the company, and briefly for Zipcar thereafter. Some of the things that carried over from Flexcar to Zipcar werer the laid-back atmosphere, enthusiasm for the concept of car-sharing, and the feeling we were in on the ground floor of a whole new transportation business.

Cons

With Flexcar, we had an innovative, somewhat clunky system for making reservations and driving the cars; Zipcar merged the their system with ours and made it even clunkier. Even worse, as innovations in carsharing continued to develop (like car2go's point-to-point system) Zipcar clung to its increasingly outdated system. I can only imagine how badly the Zipcar system wil age after the Avis merger. There's really no chance for advancement. I checked my old supervisor's LinkedIn profile, and he still has the same job title. Maybe he's content with that. The marketing department changed its focus from recruiting new members who would actually use the service, to merely luring folks into the tent with carny tricks -- like spinning prize wheels or throwing beanbags for driving credit -- in order to push the recruitment numbers up. Zipcar's business plan was: take the idea of Flexcar; get bigger faster, dominate the East coast. When they acquired the West-coast-based Flexcar territories, they had no interest in learning anything from the company they were taking over, because as far as they were concerned, they had obviously won the game. Then they sat on their accomplishments and stagnated, while car2go drank their milkshake.

Advice to Management

I like carnival games as much as anyone, but a more professional, serious first-point-of-public-contact team will help drive user retention.

How to disengage employees and destroy a company: The Avis Budget Group Story

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Significant discount on service during the weekdays. Some good people at office level

Cons

Zipcar takes engaged, passionate employees and ensures they are not recognized for their work. Avis has effectively destroyed any opportunity for Zipcar to succeed as a company. Unrealistic expectations with extremely low pay No opportunity for advancement. Incompetent upper management sticking to dying brand and outdated technology

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, value your employees pay your employees properly. Listen to each-other and communicate in a meaningful way. Focus on competition. Zipcar is no longer the leader in the car sharing space, that title goes to our competitors now.

Broken Promises

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, empowered employees

Cons

It all started with the acquisition. What started as an awesome company quickly turned into a corporate environment with minimal growth opportunities. Your told that you will quickly climb the ranks but the only way to do so is to leave the company. When it is time for a raise, they spit in your face with a minuscule, computer-generated, number.

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics, listen to your employees

not even worth the try

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people. that is it. If you're desperate you can use this as a stepping stone into other companies but not internally since they are getting rid of departments left and right

Cons

HR DEPARTMENT is worthless and untrustworthy - you can tell they are not there to help you, the employees already hate working here so stop trying to make it what it was - it's fake and transparent, the pay is horrible - not competitive at all the cons outweigh any pro this place could ever have. I am speaking only of home office - the markets are much better

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging, stop getting ABG people here, stop lying to employees about growth opportunities

Zipcar Response

Jul 29, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are very sorry that you feel this way. I would be open to chatting to you in more detail about this and listening to what you have to say. We can discuss the points you raised above and work ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed