Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Zipcar President Kaye Ceille

Kaye Ceille

Pros:
  • "Smart, laid-back, but hard-working people"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The company is growing and there are a lot of opportunities to be promoted within"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is very little room for growth"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Despite Zipcar outwardly retaining its own brand after the buyout by Avis Budget Group, internally there has been a huge shift in culture"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Going downhill fast

(Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThis used to be a great mission driven company and some great people still remain. The Seaport location is great.

ConsSince the acquisition by ABG, everything has changed and many good people have left. The only objective seems to be synergy The parent company does not understand car sharing, nor do they understand anything about a mission driven organization. All they want is to make a profit. Communication is very lacking and a command and control environment is being implemented. Zipcar has the potential to be a great company, if it is left alone to run as a truly separate division, but ABG is too arrogant to let that happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to run the place like a rental car company. HIre a management team that is worthy of the Zipcar reputation.

Zipcar is run by thieves!

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsNone, absolute waste of 2 years of my life!

ConsThey REDUCED bonus payouts, AFTER sales were made! The commission structure was 'modified' 3 times in one year. Each time the payouts were reduced. I was the #1 Account Executive and made 300K for Zipcar (120% over quota), only to be thanked by receive LESS money than promised. They made money, and stole from the sales staff. Do NOT work for Zipcar!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your employees are human.

Awful experience, would not recommend

Cambridge, MA

ProsI can't think of one.

ConsEvery thing accept the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up your job and let a more real management take over.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Laziest coworkers ever with no direction or career path

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslaid back atmosphere, lots of free food

Conseveryone is so lazy. people just waste time talking in the kitchen, socializing, walking around the mall--no wonder why this company is failing

Advice to Senior Managementstart pushing out the bad seeds and recognize the talent you do have.

Want to play it safe and never do anything cool? Work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt sounds cool, so people assume it's awesome.
    The product is innovative, so people assume the company is.
    Green is a pretty color.

ConsThey are afraid to try anything new. Everything must be done "the way it's always been done" even if that way is bad, outdated and lame.
    They do not want to revolutionize anything and are terrified of change.
    There is little to no room for advancement, which is why everyone leaves after 3 years at most.
    Upper level management doesn't care about customers or employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your internal values and corporate culture match how awesome the idea of car sharing is. Don't play it safe all the time. And treat people with respect!

The Best Of A Non-Corporate Culture Is Gone, Avis Takes Over

Boston, MA

ProsThe best thing about working here now is being backed up by big brother ABG (Avis Budget Group). With deep pockets and international presence ABG brings a tremendous punch to rapidly accelerate Zipcar's Growth. Corporate career minded individuals can do well here and if working for ABG or a major corporation is a goal, then this is a good place to start. A fair number of people in their 20's - 30's still give the company a young vibe and at least a small expectation of operating as a "start up" (beer cart Fridays, ping pong table, on site showers). Financially Zipcar remains and will most likely continue to be a strong company, and doubly strong with ABG. Newer roles are being developed and old ones are being filled as employees continue to leave at a fast pace. One can make their mark here now while turnover continues.

ConsMassive changes since the ABG takeover have deeply impacted the core culture and competencies of Zipcar as a brand. Shifting focus away from being very particular about the brand, despite their constant verbalizing it, we no longer 'obsess about the member experience'. The primacy of Synergy is what counts now and extracting efficiencies out of sharing resources takes precedence over providing Zipcar members with the vehicles and experience they've come to expect. While still paying in the lower range, especially for engineers, the great advantage of a casual and relaxed business atmosphere is evaporating as stiff management takes over. Benefits and communication are now filtered through a behemoth organization with more internal web sites, separate log ins and passwords than one can keep track of.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep back and listen to employees and members as to what they truly want without regard to "Synergy". Understand the brand deeply before making changes that seem small to you, but actually make a fundamental change to car-sharing.

Not the best.

ProsGood location with good food most of the time.

ConsNot the best supervisors but the upper management is good.

Not what it once was...

Boston, MA

ProsBest things about Zipcar are the new office, employee discount, and some cool coworkers.

ConsOh, where to start. Probably with the acquisition - started seeing all the people who helped build Zipcar leaving which was worrying but also not unusual after an acquisition. What was most troubling was how closed off the new management team became. They kept employees in the dark on changes at the organization which left everyone walking on egg shells. Really disappointed with lack of organizational communication. Became culture of everyone out for themselves instead of collaborative team environment that used to be a strength of the company.

Company is turning from fun start-up into a stiff corporate bureaucracy which is a direct reflection of the Avis-Budget leadership team which seems to operate from an old-school top-down management style that crushes innovation and entrepreneurial spirit.

Pay is also very low compared to similar companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more leaders and less "yes men". Seems like the only people being promoted and brought in align to a certain way of thinking which is crushing the innovation and creativeness that made Zipcar special. Also, be more transparent with your employees - don't tell them "nothing is changing" and then fire their manager the very next week. It takes a lot longer to build trust after you lose it.

It was fun... until it wasn't.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsZipcar employs some of the hardest working people I've ever met; usually these are the people in entry level positions who aren't afraid to hustle. It was truly inspiring to work with these people on a daily basis. If you need to use the service, your membership fee is waived and the rates during the weekdays are really great, but avoid driving on the weekends if possible, you can probably rent a car for less elsewhere.

ConsDespite Zipcar outwardly retaining its own brand after the buyout by Avis Budget Group, internally there has been a huge shift in culture. Gone are the days of Zipcar's fun and creative startup environment where the member was priority number one. Instead, be prepared to focus on revenue, revenue, revenue with little regard to how it impacts the member experience. All of the high level executives who were with Zipcar pre-Avis have left and their positions have been filled by Avis execs, which has been very telling. Overall, morale is low as a result and long time employees who used to be Zipcar's biggest fans have left.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should have left Zipcar alone - there were a lot of great people building a lot of great things. Get back to Zipcar's roots and make the members the most important part of the business.

Lack of direction as we grow faster, we need structure

(Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFun place work with a lot of enthusiastic people as co-workers.

ConsPay could be better, not as competitive as other places.
    Regarding the structure, there is little transparency, knowledge and exposure to what product owners do and the progress of the projects they own, even within the product team itself. The development team has grown a lot but the product team is lacking a set structure on how to manage the execution of projects and make it more engineering-friendly. We need someone that can direct the product team and expand the organization in a structured manner. Passion for the user abounds, we are not lacking that, but we need is guidance on best practices for better visibility and execution of projects. We need Agile product warriors.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need processes and structure, we need to hire product owners from the outside that know how to navigate rapid development cycles and product needs in an agile manner and can track the cadence of projects. We need someone that will develop the talent within and foster development of skills that will help us fill positions from within.

Worked for Zipcar? Contribute to the Community!

Zipcar Videos

Zipcar – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​​​​​​careers at zipcar​​​​​​​​​​​ At Zipcar, the journey doesn’t end when you walk through the door. In fact, it’s just the beginning. We’ve got plenty of challenges to keep us on our toes—not to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zipcar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zipcar CEO Kaye Ceille. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Zipcar employees.