Zirtual Reviews

3.7

Maren Kate

Great People, Great company

I have been working at Zirtual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing coworkers who are passionate about their job and about the overall growth of the company. Love that ideas matter.

Cons

Pay isn't great and communication can be scattered. I feel like there could be a better support structure put in place.

Zirtual Response

Sep 29, 2014Co-founder

Hey, thanks for taking some time to give us feedback. The culture is important to us so it's great to hear statements like "ideas matter" and "coworkers […] are passionate". That's what we're going ... More

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Zirtual full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work from home. There is a decent training program. Excellent job of connecting you online to other ZAs.

Cons

Clients and assistants come and go like a revolving door. Clients are transferred to new assistants at an extremely high rate. Management often takes the side of a client when issues arise and even if the assistant is believed the client is kept and given a new ZA, even though it is clear the client abused his/her assistant. Often keeping a client and their money is placed over the good of the company.

Start building a clientele that you can be proud of. Weed out the clients who are always causing you problems, then focus on the ones who deserve your time and energy. Then maybe your ZAs won't turn over as often, causing more client transfers, which leads to frustrated clients who cancel your service.

Wealthy Male Clients, Educated Female Assistants, Pitiful Pay

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant
    Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant

I worked at Zirtual part-time for more than a year

Pros

All projects were interesting; worth putting on a resume
    Accessible upper management
    Networking potential if you get lucky enough to have clients who care enough
    Friendly peers

Cons

Pitiful pay considering the clientele and the work(client dependent). Bay Area EAs, where Zirtual is based and many clients live, make $65K avg. Zirtual pays less than $25,000/full-time to, mostly women, who hold bachelor's degrees.
    Unstable
    More than a few clients had serious entitlement issues!

The matching service you offer to your ZAs is not worth half of what the client pays for the service. Even at the full rate of client pay, the ZA is making far less than market value for someone with a similar title.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not as easy as they make it sound...

I worked at Zirtual

Pros

The flexibility of getting to work at home can't be beat. The opportunity to form relationships with great clients. The support from the trainers -- my trainer sent me a handmade Christmas present in the mail! They are VERY open and very willing to communicate with you. Your concerns are always seen as valuable.

Cons

They make the flexibility seem like the best part of working here, which it is -- to an extent. Even though there is lots of flexibility, that all may change if you get an especially strict/particular client. However, if your client is downright rude, the upper management at Zirtual will always take your side and understand your perspective.

Also, the hours aren't as flexible as they used to be -- and I don't know about you, but it is not easy for me to travel on a ZA salary. They promote the traveling lifestyle a lot, but I just don't really see how that is realistic.

Go back to your old payment model of paying your employees for the number of hours their clients are registered for, not the amount of hours work. The old model was a great incentive.

I love my job and I mean it.

I have been working at Zirtual full-time for more than a year

Pros

First off, let me just say that I am that obnoxious person that tells people they love their job and actually means it.

I've been setting my own work hours as a freelancer for years now, so joining Zirtual and working from home felt natural to me. I've had such a positive experience with Zirtual so far, from start to present. I made a personal decision/goal to become full-time at Zirtual after one month and I'm glad I did.

I've never worked for a company like Zirtual that has such a great culture and people that are enthusiastic about providing an excellent experience to both clients and their employees. The company is also a lot more transparent than other start-ups/companies I've worked for, which I admire and respect as that's not the easiest thing to do. I think this stems from the Execs/Leadership being humble and down-to-earth individuals.

The people that work here are from the entire spectrum of backgrounds and personalities but what is more astonishing is everyone's desire to assist one another (personally or work-wise). It makes being a virtual company easier to adapt to because everyone is just friendly and supportive.

There are opportunities for growth, it's just a matter of patience while you wait for one to emerge. That doesn't mean you aren't able to work towards advancing, in fact, I worked with leadership to find out where I was on the meter and what areas I could improve/fine-tune. This is one of the most impressive facets of Zirtual. Leadership worked with me on a regular basis to go over the areas of improvements through a series of simulations, readings, and Q&As with them.

Cons

It's a start-up and I'd be lying if I didn't say there were hiccups here and there. Are they issues to write home about and throw a tantrum? Not quite.

Change. We've come a long way since I joined and we still have a lot of room for growth. It's never easy to immediately accept change, but I believe it's dependent on your attitude/perspective. I haven't agreed with all changes and not all changes were permanent or great solutions, but we survived and sometimes we saw the trickle effects and sometimes we didn't.

There's a lot of tools. It can be a bit nervewracking with the amount of tools/apps that are used but we're starting to phase out tools that are inefficient or cause a lot of stress. We're also working on creating our own tools that are catered to our own needs.

Clients. This is more of the people we service. Some of them are just plain rude with their egos. I feel often times people forget that their Zirtual Assistant is a human being with feelings. (Note: don't get me wrong, we also have some phenomenal clients that go above and beyond to show their ZAs they care.)

Keep up the good work. I love Z-Beats and our Z-Blog, I think both are great ways to reach out to our employees, clients, and prospective clients. They're often time short and sweet and just fun to read. I love how everyone is candid and just genuine with one another.

If there's any way to pay our Zirtual Assistants more, I think that would be a huge improvement!

Please try to take a real vacation.

Also, this isn't said enough to each of you individually, but thank you. Each of you have had such an everlasting effect on me and my life. I see each of you as role models and friends, and I admire all of your talents and wisdoms.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Zirtual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working as a virtual executive assistant for Zirtual has been great. I highly recommend this company to those who are looking to be apart of a great community. Plus working from home (or anywhere for that matter) has been awesome!

Cons

The only con to this job is the lack of face-to-face interaction. However, this can be expected when working remotely. All of the pros definitely outweigh this one little con.

Constant change/low wage/great in theory

Current Employee - Zirtual Assistant

I have been working at Zirtual part-time

Pros

Working from home, other ZAs are wonderful people.

Cons

Terrible wage particularly since switching to the per hour pay system, constant change of policies, inconsistent in-practice values as compared to what they posit as their 'corporate culture', external hiring for higher positions often despite promises of 'opportunities' to grow with the company

Pay the ZAs what they are worth considering your education and experience requirements

Nice People, Constant Change

Current Employee - Zirtual Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zirtual full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with some very nice interesting people from all over the world, and clients that you wouldn't normally meet if you worked in an office 9 to 5. Everyone is very helpful and they have a family atmosphere. Working from home as a full time job is awesome! Work/life balance is good. Growing company with staying power.

Cons

It can be a challenge to get and keep full time clients. Recent changes have made working here a bit chaotic because they keep changing the rules, procedures and employment requirements. It is a young company with a young attitude which can be hard for established CEO's and business people to grasp and can seem a bit unprofessional.

Create your processes and stick to them before changing things. Constant change is not good for employees and can lead to issues that go beyond everyday work. Hire some more experienced people to help with the new transitions, especially in HR and Client and Employee Relations.

There is no better Executive Assisting service on the Planet.

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant  in  Kailua, HI
    Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Kailua, HI

I worked at Zirtual as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Where do I even begin?

Organizational Culture:

I started at this company when there was less than 150 employees. It was quite an onboarding process we had video chats, training and personal check in’s from our founders and awesome HR department. Zirtual does not miss a single beat. They made sure they knew us in and out. They employee the happiest most upbeat people I have ever met in my life. It’s no wonder why they are drawing in an excellent client base. It does not feel like an “at home job” or an “office job” it feels like a way of life, a focus, an adventure when you work here. When working for Zirtual I felt as if they had a naturally relaxing, yet professional culture that is almost reminiscent of Google. The employees care about everyone and still keep it professional.

Ongoing Growth and Education:

There is plenty to go around. Many people stating there is no growth is a bit unforgiving of the fact that the company is a start-up. Zirtual is less than 5 years old and the things they are doing I am definitely going to look out for in the next 5-10 years. I see this company going places beyond their wildest dreams and there is no doubt about that. They are constantly growing, implementing new policies and procedures in order to make life easier for clients, employees and to protect their employees. We have learning teams that we pursue on our own whether it has to do with learning new business tactics, learning how to deal with clients or embracing a new foreign language. The company has plenty of growth if you embrace the culture and put in just as much work as you want to get out of it.

Salary

Okay, this is the part that grinds my gears as a person that has worked from home for over 7 years. The people complaining about the pay. What ever happened to working from the bottom up? The pay here is amazing for telecommute work. People who complain may not know what it is to work for $3 an hour on oDesk as a Virtual assistant or write 500 articles for $500.
    Things to consider that aren’t needed on a telecommute salary.
    Car note: $300 per month
    Car Insurance: $80 per month
    Gas: 150 per month
    Childcare: Why am I even working? Do I really need to put these numbers in?
    Okay out of rant mode. The pay is fantastic. The new price structure is not making ZA’s work for less money. It is now providing amazing benefit packages, tax reductions (you pay 100% of social security as an independent contractor whereas an employee pays a little under 50% according to the IRS)
    Also, a lot of people starting out at the company are amazing candidates, some of the best, but are fresh out of college or in college. – So this pay still makes it above the national average and is not minimum wage AND LET’S NOT FORGET, IT’S FROM HOME! YESSSSSSSS!

Overall experience

Zirtual was my first true “big girl” job. It provided me with an exponential amount of experience and gave me the tools I needed to prosper in my career for the rest of my life. I have acquired a marketable amount of skills that are going to help me prosper as an individual in my life, education and career. I have had my proudest moments as a professional with this company and I have shared tears with other ZA’s over hard work days and clients. The experience here is one I will never forget and I will continue to check in on the company to see how they are doing and cherish the wonderful connections and moments I have had over the last year.

If it wasn’t for me receiving an amazing job offer for my desired field of focus, -based on my qualifications and skills obtained through Zirtual –and finishing my MBA soon- I would not be leaving so soon. I would highly recommend this company to any and every one looking to start on their path towards a career in business.

Cons

Well since I have to have 20 words minimum for this section. I'm going to say cons-----------I got nothing.

Clients
    Clients should not ever be a con of this job. You know what you are coming to work for. And believe me, I've had a very challenging client before. You need to understand that difficult clients is a part of the job. There are ways to mediate, learn how to work with a person or get better at communicating, put your foot down, Lean-in to your job and take the initiative to make things work----------or you could just transfer your client---- yes, I kid you not they love their employees that much. (but don't make a habit of it)

You guys are doing everything great.

But I do have advice: When you hit the stock market, email me so I can be your first buyer!

Fantastic, Fast Growing, Company

Current Employee - Zirtual Assistant

I have been working at Zirtual as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

100% Telecommute. Flexibility. Leadership. Training.

I have been working for Zirtual for the past month and I am impressed at how this company is growing, and with the values and standards they demand from their own staff and from the Zirtual Assistants.

This is not a Company that has you throw your skills/resume out there on the net, and then bid at pennies on the dollar to get work. This is a 100% fully supported company that screens and trains the ZA's AND works with Clients for a positive outcome for all.

Yes really, 100% telecommute. Work from anywhere with clients coast to coast and in some cases, overseas. Take as many or as few client hours as you want/need.

Support teams and mentors are truly there to support the ZA's whether that is getting additional client hours for us, dealing with difficult clients, or providing resources to the ZA.s.

I thought I was tech savvy, but let me tell you....there was a lot to learn during training. I'm still learning since each client's requirements are different.

Management is working on better pay stability and other features that I believe will take this company to the next level pretty quickly.

Cons

Clients seem come and go with no apparent reason. But, having a virtual assistant is not for everyone. You have to be clear, willing to delegate to someone you have never met, as well as spend some time building trust. Have heard that some clients are very difficult, but hey, I've had plenty of difficult bosses.

Pay could be a bit higher but that's being worked on.

Keep up the Great Work!!

Worked for Zirtual? Contribute to the Community!