Zirtual Reviews

3.6

Maren Kate

Great People, Great company

I have been working at Zirtual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers who are passionate about their job and about the overall growth of the company. Love that ideas matter.

Cons

Pay isn't great and communication can be scattered. I feel like there could be a better support structure put in place.

Zirtual Response

Sep 29, 2014Co-founder

Hey, thanks for taking some time to give us feedback. The culture is important to us so it's great to hear statements like "ideas matter" and "coworkers […] are passionate". That's what we're going ... More

Growing Company with Awesome People

I have been working at Zirtual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working from home and being allowed some flexibility with hours. The culture at this company is they care and will bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.

Cons

Promotional potential is slower than I anticipated. I was hoping to see more positions open up with the amount of growth the company is experiencing. It seems like they favor younger people for upper management positions, which really limits them.

Zirtual Response

Oct 23, 2014Co-founder

Hey, thank you for the review and the feedback, too. About the opportunity for growth. The amount of people who work outside of the ZA role is still relatively small compared to how many ZAs we have ... More

Good

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant

I worked at Zirtual part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Zirtual is a virtual personal assistant job. You can have as few as 2 or 3 clients or upwards of 7 or more, depending on the service level you agree to take. You have the opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people from different areas of the country. You also get to virtually meet your team members via their online chat. Training is good. Team leaders are nice..everyone is helpful.

Cons

The challenge working here is you must be able to hit the ground running. When you agree to take on a client, you need to be certain that you fully understand the tasks they need completed. When a client is not happy, you as the ZA will have to accept the blame no matter who is at fault. Three complaints to upper management about your work performance and you are out of job.

No suggestions.

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Zirtual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work from home. There is a decent training program. Excellent job of connecting you online to other ZAs.

Cons

Clients and assistants come and go like a revolving door. Clients are transferred to new assistants at an extremely high rate. Management often takes the side of a client when issues arise and even if the assistant is believed the client is kept and given a new ZA, even though it is clear the client abused his/her assistant. Often keeping a client and their money is placed over the good of the company.

Start building a clientele that you can be proud of. Weed out the clients who are always causing you problems, then focus on the ones who deserve your time and energy. Then maybe your ZAs won't turn over as often, causing more client transfers, which leads to frustrated clients who cancel your service.

Wealthy Male Clients, Educated Female Assistants, Pitiful Pay

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant

I worked at Zirtual part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All projects were interesting; worth putting on a resume
    Accessible upper management
    Networking potential if you get lucky enough to have clients who care enough
    Friendly peers

Cons

Pitiful pay considering the clientele and the work(client dependent). Bay Area EAs, where Zirtual is based and many clients live, make $65K avg. Zirtual pays less than $25,000/full-time to, mostly women, who hold bachelor's degrees.
    Unstable
    More than a few clients had serious entitlement issues!

The matching service you offer to your ZAs is not worth half of what the client pays for the service. Even at the full rate of client pay, the ZA is making far less than market value for someone with a similar title.

Not as easy as they make it sound...

I worked at Zirtual

Pros

The flexibility of getting to work at home can't be beat. The opportunity to form relationships with great clients. The support from the trainers -- my trainer sent me a handmade Christmas present in the mail! They are VERY open and very willing to communicate with you. Your concerns are always seen as valuable.

Cons

They make the flexibility seem like the best part of working here, which it is -- to an extent. Even though there is lots of flexibility, that all may change if you get an especially strict/particular client. However, if your client is downright rude, the upper management at Zirtual will always take your side and understand your perspective.

Also, the hours aren't as flexible as they used to be -- and I don't know about you, but it is not easy for me to travel on a ZA salary. They promote the traveling lifestyle a lot, but I just don't really see how that is realistic.

Go back to your old payment model of paying your employees for the number of hours their clients are registered for, not the amount of hours work. The old model was a great incentive.

I love my job and I mean it.

I have been working at Zirtual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First off, let me just say that I am that obnoxious person that tells people they love their job and actually means it.

I've been setting my own work hours as a freelancer for years now, so joining Zirtual and working from home felt natural to me. I've had such a positive experience with Zirtual so far, from start to present. I made a personal decision/goal to become full-time at Zirtual after one month and I'm glad I did.

I've never worked for a company like Zirtual that has such a great culture and people that are enthusiastic about providing an excellent experience to both clients and their employees. The company is also a lot more transparent than other start-ups/companies I've worked for, which I admire and respect as that's not the easiest thing to do. I think this stems from the Execs/Leadership being humble and down-to-earth individuals.

The people that work here are from the entire spectrum of backgrounds and personalities but what is more astonishing is everyone's desire to assist one another (personally or work-wise). It makes being a virtual company easier to adapt to because everyone is just friendly and supportive.

There are opportunities for growth, it's just a matter of patience while you wait for one to emerge. That doesn't mean you aren't able to work towards advancing, in fact, I worked with leadership to find out where I was on the meter and what areas I could improve/fine-tune. This is one of the most impressive facets of Zirtual. Leadership worked with me on a regular basis to go over the areas of improvements through a series of simulations, readings, and Q&As with them.

Cons

It's a start-up and I'd be lying if I didn't say there were hiccups here and there. Are they issues to write home about and throw a tantrum? Not quite.

Change. We've come a long way since I joined and we still have a lot of room for growth. It's never easy to immediately accept change, but I believe it's dependent on your attitude/perspective. I haven't agreed with all changes and not all changes were permanent or great solutions, but we survived and sometimes we saw the trickle effects and sometimes we didn't.

There's a lot of tools. It can be a bit nervewracking with the amount of tools/apps that are used but we're starting to phase out tools that are inefficient or cause a lot of stress. We're also working on creating our own tools that are catered to our own needs.

Clients. This is more of the people we service. Some of them are just plain rude with their egos. I feel often times people forget that their Zirtual Assistant is a human being with feelings. (Note: don't get me wrong, we also have some phenomenal clients that go above and beyond to show their ZAs they care.)

Keep up the good work. I love Z-Beats and our Z-Blog, I think both are great ways to reach out to our employees, clients, and prospective clients. They're often time short and sweet and just fun to read. I love how everyone is candid and just genuine with one another.

If there's any way to pay our Zirtual Assistants more, I think that would be a huge improvement!

Please try to take a real vacation.

Also, this isn't said enough to each of you individually, but thank you. Each of you have had such an everlasting effect on me and my life. I see each of you as role models and friends, and I admire all of your talents and wisdoms.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Zirtual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working as a virtual executive assistant for Zirtual has been great. I highly recommend this company to those who are looking to be apart of a great community. Plus working from home (or anywhere for that matter) has been awesome!

Cons

The only con to this job is the lack of face-to-face interaction. However, this can be expected when working remotely. All of the pros definitely outweigh this one little con.

Constant change/low wage/great in theory

Current Employee - Zirtual Assistant

I have been working at Zirtual part-time

Pros

Working from home, other ZAs are wonderful people.

Cons

Terrible wage particularly since switching to the per hour pay system, constant change of policies, inconsistent in-practice values as compared to what they posit as their 'corporate culture', external hiring for higher positions often despite promises of 'opportunities' to grow with the company

Pay the ZAs what they are worth considering your education and experience requirements

Nice People, Constant Change

Current Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zirtual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some very nice interesting people from all over the world, and clients that you wouldn't normally meet if you worked in an office 9 to 5. Everyone is very helpful and they have a family atmosphere. Working from home as a full time job is awesome! Work/life balance is good. Growing company with staying power.

Cons

It can be a challenge to get and keep full time clients. Recent changes have made working here a bit chaotic because they keep changing the rules, procedures and employment requirements. It is a young company with a young attitude which can be hard for established CEO's and business people to grasp and can seem a bit unprofessional.

Create your processes and stick to them before changing things. Constant change is not good for employees and can lead to issues that go beyond everyday work. Hire some more experienced people to help with the new transitions, especially in HR and Client and Employee Relations.