ZocDoc

ZocDoc Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

ZocDoc Founder & CEO Cyrus Massoumi

Cyrus Massoumi

Pros:
  • "Free lunch, ping pong tables, and positive environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "They do pay a great salary and have unmatched health benefits"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "I've never seen such a high turnover for sales people than this company"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work/life balance can be tough, there's always more to be done"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Biggest mistake of my professional sales career.

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

ProsUnique atmosphere with emphasis on outstanding service to customers and doctors. They treat those who work there very well in terms of providing ample food, beverage and social engagements. They reward people and do well on the recognition front.

ConsIts like high school except cut throat. I can say that they treat their employees with disposable attitude. They have no problem with hiring 10 people and only keeping 1 after 2 months in the field. 1 week of training and its off you go. Cant get traction in the begining? too bad. Uprooted your whole life to take a position across the country? not my problem. I saw them let go of a lot of talented sales profesionals just because they couldnt quite get it within their time frame. Next to no seniority. The job sounds great on paper but in application, you either get it or you dont. If you dont get it in their time frame, too bad. This approach has screwed a lot of really talented people. In the short while I was there the dozens of sales people i saw will now have to explain themselves about zocdoc on any interview. Also its a very cult like environment. some people may view that as a pro or a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your salesforce or dont have one. The meat grinder approach you take to business is not only morally irresponsible, it is costly to your business as it is so much more expensive to hire and fire someone than it is to train quality talent. People dont want to work for a place that views them as disposable assets.

Good idea, but not great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc as a contractor for more than a year

Pros- Flexible work for photographers
- They send you a t-shirt that says ZocDoc. It's good to wear to work out or to mop up spills
- Relatively simple job to fill in spare time

Cons- If you don't have close appointments, you'll endup making about $20/ hr as a photographer. WAY below my usual rates.
- The support staff is fairly young and inexperienced. They seem relatively eager, but the 'quality assurance' staff is arbitrary in what they like and don't. Most of them were hired through friends and have very little real world experience or talent in photography.
- Some physicians and their staff are eager and helpful while many are more bothered that they have to have their photos taken and most are pretty unhappy with the results of ZocDoc

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lead photo editor/quality assurance employees could definitely be more open to what they are looking for. Pay a little more $$ to get someone with a little experience, rather than a recent college graduate. I'm sure they have taken lots of pictures of their friends, or local natives from their post college trip to Europe, but you can do better ZocDoc.

Great 1st job,, if you have a sales job, DO NOT LEAVE for zocdoc

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome product that actually makes doctors $ if given proper expectations. I've used it to book doctor appointments and its so easy and helpful.

ConsIf you have a job and are earning more than 40k, I wouldn't leave for the "opportunity" to sell for zocdoc. Regardless of their rhetoric, this IS NOT like medical or pharma sales. You have to give doctors very unrealistic numbers to get them to buy the product, this is why over 70% churn and hate zocdoc. If you are in medical or pharma, be prepared to lose those relationships you've worked so hard to gain.

Quota of 16 each month is unattainable unless you lie to doctors. Most reps capture 6-8 monthly. You won't make 100k unless you close 16-20 docs a month. The very top rep, #1 closed an average of 14.5 per month last year. Do the math. Average reps (8 per month) earn 60k per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blowing thousands upon thousands of $ on fancy cars, dinners or $600 a night hotel rooms. No one is impressed. Make the subscription price cheaper, get 80% of all doctors and dentists on zocdoc, then raise the price. And for Christ sake! Stop firing sales people before they can even get started. And give REALISTIC expectations, to sales people and doctors.

Could've been incredible, but tech management was a letdown

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

Pros-Get to work on improving an industry in dire need of change
-Decent comp
-Great health insurance
-Catered lunch
-Solid engineering hardware
-"Unlimited" vacation (also a con)

The company did throw good parties and the CEO is someone I enjoyed working with. The engineering staff has some of the best raw talent I've ever worked with, but the culture of getting things done, with little thought on doing things right, held people back.

Cons-CTO leads by fear and intimidation
-No organization whatsoever (no bug tracking, no release planning)
-Very little respect or interest in adopting modern software engineering practices
-Culture of hacking and shipping (mediocre code-base, technical debt was rampant)
-Heavy resistance to using new tool and technologies
-Somewhat cult-like culture
-Technical challenges being solved get boring
-"Unlimited" vacation (also a pro)

Advice to Senior ManagementI left a long time ago, and I know some things have improved (I have kept in touch with some employees and know many who've interviewed recently), but many have not. Keep in mind I joined the company after it had been around for several years, so it's not like it was a bootstrap startup anymore.

If the engineer dept was run by a more reasonable and effective leader, that inspired his staff instead of intimidating them, I would've stayed much longer. Don't get me wrong, he's a smart guy and the output of the team was decent, but his style took all the fun out of the job. The variety of the technical challenged faced by the team was also less interesting and varied that I expected.

Worst Sales Job I Have Ever Had

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

ProsThey waste money on "Team Happy Hour".

ConsPay! $40k base
No Manager Experience, The managers that had experience are all quitting.
Out of over 70 reps only 10-15 have been here over 1 year
Lies, Lies and more Lies
I referred a few friends and they were all fired w/in a few months
They want you to sell 16 doctors a month but only 1-3 people hit this per month
the average sells 6-8 per month
they say you will make about $105-$150K I am one of the top reps and I made under 90k and I worked my ass off!
I have been in Sales over 10 years and never ever have I ever worked for such a poor managed company and one who doesn't care for its sales team!

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company while your ahead before people find out all the Lies!

Great corporate culture, over promised on pay

Outside Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat corporate culture. Great company to work for other than as a sales rep.

ConsGoal is to sell 16 docs a month. Number 1 rep sold 14.5 docs per month last year. Therefor, the "goal" they set for you is virtually unattainable. 80% Sales rep turnover rate within a few months of getting hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has been around for 5 years now. Set a sales goal that is attainable.

Mediocre First Job (don't plan on staying too long)

Business Origination Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits: catered lunches, lots of free stuff, exceptional medical benefits

ConsHigh standards regardless of experience, poor communication within the office, incredibly high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe focus on developing your current employees instead of constantly hiring new ones

Outside Sales Rep- honest experience in first 5 months

Outside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

Pros-Great earning potential/commission structure (if your good, as is should be)
-Absolutely great and helpful people, wonderful team environment
- friendly/available management staff
-Full paid benefits
-unlimited paid vacation (dont be "that guy" to abuse it)
-Company events are always a blast
-Flexible career options (coming from an outside sales guy anyways)

ConsDefinitely a lot of learning on the fly/on your own, not much in the training aspect, or what to expect before your out selling.

However, there are plenty of tenured sales guys that are more than willing to help you out/give you advice. This position is most definitely about working smarter AND harder, so if your lazy, or lack initiative, its not going to be for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlright, so Ive read a bunch of the reviews on here, and after reading those I felt it completely necessary to input my honest opinion on my experiences thus far.

Since starting working here a little more than 4 months ago, I have had a great experience. It literally blows my mind with some of the prior posts I was reading. From the operations side the people have all been very friendly and helpful, its been a great team environment, always willing to answer questions or go the extra mile to assist you. From the sales side I couldn't have asked for anything more. Strong competitive team, the sales managers are all willing to help out and do what they can to advise you on how to be successful , and they give you the technical tools to do so. But there is no spoon feeding! And rightfully so.

I feel there is a strong misunderstanding with some of the people that may have came to work here and left bitter. So a heads up anyone thinking about perusing this opportunity. You are expected to A) know how to sell, and know how to sell WELL. and B) WORK HARD. I personally have been here for 4+ months, and i am currently performing in the top 5 of the company sales reps pretty consistently. Im not saying that to brag at all, im saying that to let people know you can absolutely be successful soon after starting, you just need to be willing to work hard for it and utilize the knowledge/tools around you! I personally have never even had medical sales experience before. I was very proficient and had a proven track record of direct sales, and was in the military, but nothing medical or with doctors. That being said, it is definitely NOT an easy job. But personally, I loved that aspect of it, its definitely a challenge. And its absolutely worth the hard work. The upper management have always been very approachable and always involved in a positive way.

So, for anyone reading this considering an employment opportunity, if your going to take note of anyone's post about their experiences, please take note of the one that is coming from an outside sales guy that has been very successful relatively early , and not the advice of a bitter rep that unfortunately just wasn't good enough, but needed someone else to blame.

Cheers

Not what the doctor ordered

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc

ProsTypical pros for a startup:

+ You get to take on a lot of responsibility and wear different hats.
+ Technology is up-to-date
+ Built around a great idea for a product
+ Many people genuinely have a desire to make things better.
+ During my time here I met some great colleagues and enjoyed working with them
+ No red tape
+ Great place for those who find fulfillment from their jobs.

ConsThis was actually the one situation that I hoped not to end up in. You work hard and you work long here. Typical with a startup. Make sure you are honest with yourself - if you can't put in the hours (office and home) or stay late regularly for any reason (there are many legitimate reasons) don't join. You won't build up your knowledge and skill fast enough to succeed. Management is focused on building a business and your expected to join in. That's what this organization is about. No one really gives a straight answer on this point but you don't have to guess on this.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of interviewing for the skills and fit you need for a particular role. If you don't understand your own role then don't hire until you do. You wasted someone's time and demonstrated a serious level of callousness.

Great company and product, terrible management

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best people I have ever worked with, game changing product, awesome work environment. Fun team activities and company events, and the office is a fun place to hang out. CEO and executives are terrific, inspirational people

ConsManagers are hired based on how long they have been with the company, not based on their skills or ability to actually manage people. As such many employees feel frustrated with how poorly their teams are managed. Ops is treated well but paid poorly, and sales people are treated as though they are disposable. You will NEVER have job security here - some of the best reps in the company have been fired after having one pay period of poor numbers. I never met a sales rep who hadn't been written up for "poor performance" at least once. It's also very difficult to advance, many reps have been there 2+ years and still have no career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in hiring great managers to manage the great people you have. Most of your managers have no idea how to actually manage someone and some are really heinous. Get an HR department and develop a coaching program focused at employee development and retention. There is so much waste in the turnover here.

Worked for ZocDoc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ZocDoc reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ZocDoc CEO Cyrus Massoumi . All 96 reviews posted anonymously by ZocDoc employees.