ZocDoc

ZocDoc Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

ZocDoc Founder & CEO Cyrus Massoumi

Cyrus Massoumi

Pros
  • Free Lunch Everyday - Can't beat that(in 17 reviews)

• catered lunch, and a rather stocked kitchen with snacks throughout the day(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance - They expect you to make work your life(in 6 reviews)

• I've never seen such a high turnover for sales people than this company(in 8 reviews)

A fantastic place to build a career in sales (if you work hard at it)

Sales Origination Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsZocDoc is unlike any other place I've worked. The culture is great, the perks are even better, and the people here are among the best and brightest in New York.

Yes, there are hard quotas they expect you to hit, and yes, sometimes management isn't always helpful, but we are warned of these things before we start. Reading other reviews I'm not sure why people are surprised. The quotas and expectations are no different than other sales positions in the city. You will be on the phone for most of the day, cold-calling doctors, and trying to sell them on ZocDoc. Some regions are harder to sell in than others. All of this was mentioned in the phone screen with my recruiter, so none of it came as a surprise. Those who fail do so because of a lack of will. However, if you are good at what you do, there is a ton of room for growth, and a lot of SOAs move on to more senior roles before they've been here a year.

-Free, catered lunches every day (we use a couple dozen restaurants as vendors, so the food is never boring)
    -100% healthcare covered, paid for by ZD
    -Unlimited vacation days (no one is keeping track of when you take off--just have to make sure that you're not leaving work unfinished)
    -Super casual environment (sometimes I wear sweatpants and no one bats an eyelash)
    -Young, creative, fun company culture
    -Great team events
    -Sales contests to win cash prizes
    -Tons of opportunity for growth
    -Weekly, all-hands happy hour on Fridays
    -Great snack room
    -Laptop and cell phone provided for you
    -Bright, open, multi-floor office in SoHo

Cons-Growing pains typical of a start-up
    -Raises often only come if you ask for them (and aren't guaranteed based on tenure, etc.)
    -Hours vary depending on workload, but that's true for most jobs
    -If you don't like to work hard, this isn't the place for you

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency is always appreciated.

Awesome place for an engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New Delhi (India)

ProsThis is a fantastic place to work as an engineer. The tech team is really solid, comprised of smart hard working individuals. The pay is good, the perks are great, the hours are flexible and there's lots of room for growth. I've worked as an engineer at 2 other companies and ZocDoc has been by far the best.

ConsLots of tech debt. Based on my experience every company has a lot of tech debt, but zocdoc seems to be unusually high. Fortunately we are addressing this problem and I think we are moving in a great direction. Sometimes projects lack direction and clarity, but this is also getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the broken sales structure!! It really bums me out to read all of the poor reviews here left by sales people. It seems as though they are not given a fair chance and something needs to be done to fix the obsurd goals they are expected to meet. I wish zocdoc was as good a company to work for as a sales person as it is for an engineer like myself, but unfortunately that's just not the case.

Great place to work!

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsZocDoc has created a fun work environment where employees are encouraged to challenge the status quo, think out of the box, and bring new ideas to the table. ZocDoc employs a smart, creative, and good humored group of people who are working hard and having fun at the same time. My personal experience has been great, and I feel lucky to work here. During my tenure at the company, I have constantly been given more responsibilities, and I have received generous raises at benchmarks of success. I work ~ 50 hours a week in the office. I'm always free to handle personal stuff during the work day if necessary. Employees always run errands, go for a haircut, or cut out mid-day to hit the gym. so yes, there are long hours sometimes, but it's also an atmosphere without micromanagement. It's like - do what you want as long as you get your stuff done.I feel empowered to conduct my business in the best way that suits me.

ConsI don't have anything notable to complain about.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredibly fast career growth for recent graduates but not for slackers

Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI joined 9 months ago with zero experience in entry level sales (SOA) and was promoted to Inside Sales Executive in 6 months. My experience as a SOA allowed me to immediately become a top 10% sales executive in the company earning 6 figures. Everybody is young, energetic, and willing to go the extra mile to help new recruits. Also doesn't hurt to have catered lunch, top notch health insurance and unlimited vacation days...

ConsThis is not a job for slackers. You need to own your market and be comfortable cold calling - but it's easy when you're selling such a beneficial product for society. I have had 3 incredible managers who helped me realize my potential and did not micro-manage at all, however, there are one or two managers you will want to avoid.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the start-up culture as we continue to expand. Ping pong tables, craft beer fridays and a casual dress code make this a great company to work for!

Great experience and great people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking at ZocDoc you will be challenged to grow and learn every day. There are opportunities to advance if you excel at what you do. The people I work with are always motivated and friendly and simply great people.

ConsThere are the normal small-to-mid tier company downsides. The company is still figuring out it's employee career pathing and moving toward a more product focused company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on becoming a product-oriented company and on scalability.

These people are truly my family <3

Recruiter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWell my story about ZocDoc is a little personal, but I think it worth sharing:

I started ZocDoc as a contract recruiter. I was paid hourly, no benefits, no stock options, typical contractor stuff. 2 months into my contract role, I found out I was pregnant. I was terrified. I didn't have insurance, the company didn't have a maternity policy, etc. I told my boss I was pregnant. I was totally dreading it. He gave me the biggest hug, congratulated me, and the very next day, he brought me onto the team full-time with full benefits. As my belly continued to grow, I was the first pregnant lady at ZocDoc. Everyone was so excited for me! Chris (one of the office managers- he is amazing) would bring me a yogurt everyday, John (recruiter) would get me lunch everyday, and they had a huge surprise baby shower for me where they bought everything left on my registry. Now, if these people don't sound like family, I don't know what else to say. Every single day, I am grateful for the opportunity I was given at ZocDoc. My son was born April 5, 2013. The next day, ZocDoc created a maternity policy (6 weeks paid leave). What more can you ask for? I have never felt so cared for at any other job.

ConsZocDoc definitely expects a lot out of their employees- but not in a bad way. You will be pushed hard, you will have high goals, but everyone will truly believe that you can achieve them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow, don't lose that small company feel. The community feel and family atmosphere of ZocDoc will continue to fuel your employee's passion.

Amazing People and Environment

Operations Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe Operations team is made up of some of the smartest, most hard working, and fun people I've had the pleasure of working with ever. Every day I look forward to going into work even if I know it's going to be a tough day or a busy one.

Management from Team Leads to the Executive Team is approachable, excellent, and demands excellence from everyone around them. The opportunities to take on projects and develop professionally/be promoted are only limited to what you can manage to take on.

It's an indescribable feeling knowing that the people around me, continue to help each patient and each doctor because they genuinely want to make a difference in healthcare and set a new precedent for customer service in the health industry.

ConsMany of the most exciting and important projects have to be worked on outside of coverage hours. This means that if you want to really excel, you likely need to work on your own projects in the evenings or on the weekends. The hours are already pretty long, and I know that as we grow more, there will likely be more opportunities to do project-work during regular business hours, but for the foreseeable future it's going to remain on your own time.

Some of the calls we take can be very frustrating. This is part of the nature of Customer Service jobs. At least at ZocDoc, sitting next to people who make me laugh all day and remind me why we take those tough calls make it pretty bearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the strong communication across the company about what the different departments are working on and what we've learned each week -- I hope this is something we never loose!

Best treatment I've head In my Life

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone's really encouraging and it was really easy to integrate into a team. The office has a lot of stuff, like free food, a kitchen, 3 ping pong tables, and comfy chairs everywhere. The stuff that ZocDoc has around the office is really cool. You can talk to the CEO, CFO, CTO, etc anytime you want. You can chat up anyone in production and ask them questions. The culture is very open and very welcoming

ConsGetting caught up in the production process was a bit more challenging. The mentorship that was established could be much better. Also, lunch, which was ordered for us everyone, is a tad bit dry and not much to eat. That could be zerocater's fault though, so not a con against the company.

Outside Sales Rep- honest experience in first 5 months

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Great earning potential/commission structure (if your good, as is should be)
    -Absolutely great and helpful people, wonderful team environment
    - friendly/available management staff
    -Full paid benefits
    -unlimited paid vacation (dont be "that guy" to abuse it)
    -Company events are always a blast
    -Flexible career options (coming from an outside sales guy anyways)

ConsDefinitely a lot of learning on the fly/on your own, not much in the training aspect, or what to expect before your out selling.

However, there are plenty of tenured sales guys that are more than willing to help you out/give you advice. This position is most definitely about working smarter AND harder, so if your lazy, or lack initiative, its not going to be for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlright, so Ive read a bunch of the reviews on here, and after reading those I felt it completely necessary to input my honest opinion on my experiences thus far.

Since starting working here a little more than 4 months ago, I have had a great experience. It literally blows my mind with some of the prior posts I was reading. From the operations side the people have all been very friendly and helpful, its been a great team environment, always willing to answer questions or go the extra mile to assist you. From the sales side I couldn't have asked for anything more. Strong competitive team, the sales managers are all willing to help out and do what they can to advise you on how to be successful , and they give you the technical tools to do so. But there is no spoon feeding! And rightfully so.

I feel there is a strong misunderstanding with some of the people that may have came to work here and left bitter. So a heads up anyone thinking about perusing this opportunity. You are expected to A) know how to sell, and know how to sell WELL. and B) WORK HARD. I personally have been here for 4+ months, and i am currently performing in the top 5 of the company sales reps pretty consistently. Im not saying that to brag at all, im saying that to let people know you can absolutely be successful soon after starting, you just need to be willing to work hard for it and utilize the knowledge/tools around you! I personally have never even had medical sales experience before. I was very proficient and had a proven track record of direct sales, and was in the military, but nothing medical or with doctors. That being said, it is definitely NOT an easy job. But personally, I loved that aspect of it, its definitely a challenge. And its absolutely worth the hard work. The upper management have always been very approachable and always involved in a positive way.

So, for anyone reading this considering an employment opportunity, if your going to take note of anyone's post about their experiences, please take note of the one that is coming from an outside sales guy that has been very successful relatively early , and not the advice of a bitter rep that unfortunately just wasn't good enough, but needed someone else to blame.

Cheers

Total freedom, plenty of potential, sell and no one will bother you

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsIf you can manage a territory and manage your time, you can work as little or as much as you want. As long as you are putting up your quota (4 doctors per week), no one will bother you. The product works, extremely well for some doctors, okay for others -- very few completely fail with our product. The SEO for ZocDoc is incredible and is what drives 1.8M people to our site every single month. Considering it only takes 1-2 patients per month for a practice to be profitable with ZocDoc, it's a pretty easy sale. The people who write bad reviews on here are obviously not good sales people -- you are selling patients to a doctor. He/she *needs* patients to keep the practice strong, so it's a no-brainer. That being said, not everyone is polished enough or confident enough to deal with the doctor demographic. Just because you were awesome selling widgets to someone in rural Kentucky doesn't mean you will automatically be a swift salesperson dealing with physicians.

ConsThey have had some transition at the management level, bringing in new voices and changing philosophies several times since I started 6 months ago. Also, the reviews that mention "high turnover" are quite accurrate. Again, as I said above, if you don't have the confidence and ability to deal with higher intelligence people like physicians, you will fail. Hence why they hire and fire constantly. If you can't sell in your first 10 weeks, you will be looking for a new job by month 3. Period.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a consistent flow and process, quit making so many changes, and start rewarding reps more on production. ie stock bonuses, base-pay raises, etc.

Worked for ZocDoc? Contribute to the Community!