ZocDoc Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.1

ZocDoc Founder & CEO Cyrus Massoumi
Cyrus Massoumi

Pros
  • Free Lunch Everyday - Can't beat that (in 17 reviews)

• catered lunch, and a rather stocked kitchen with snacks throughout the day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance - They expect you to make work your life (in 6 reviews)

• I've never seen such a high turnover for sales people than this company (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

For Zocdoc India

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Hard Working team.
    - Lots of handsome men in NY and Phoenix team. (Sadly, you get to see them only once a week on a projector. Ed Esposito is the best) None in Pune though.
    - (Kinda) Free flowing Coffee

Cons

- Not enough transferable skills to learn (except photos. I did not get an opportunity to learn that)
    - The team leader and manager of THE team actually indulge in so much power politics that they are killing the robustness of the team. They prey on team members to assert their influence, make REAL snide comments about each other and argue in front the team.

Don't have much of an opinion since I did not have enough time there.

HORRIFIC CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I worked at ZocDoc

Pros

None. The "sell" to the public is that this is an unbiased service for patients. The truth is they permit doctors to curate their profiles and reviews so as to garner higher ratings. Bad policy. Bad people.

Cons

See above. My integrity isn't for sale.

Close up shop. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

They butter you up with perks of the place

Former Employee - ISE  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - ISE in New York, NY

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are nice, friendly.. atmosphere is good. Obviously free catered lunch and snacks are great for anyone.

Cons

Opportunity to grow is not that great, have to be a brown nose to the right people to get thought of a new opportunity. The turn over is unreal, new people every week. While working there a new position was established and it was horrible. Low pay and nothing great from it, just same work as other position but with more work and more stress. There needs to be better management, some people just DO NOT BELONG IN MANAGEMENT when it comes to sales. soft spoken people do not make a great leader when its a ZocDoc environment and expectations. If you get fired or asked to leave, they walk you out personally, cant go back to your desk to grab your stuff...as if you were a criminal. I get there is technology and people might make scene about losing their job but, give a little more respect after all the hard work.

Better interview process for Sales managers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upbeat, useful, learning experience with huge growth potential

I have been working at ZocDoc

Pros

Vision of the company and the potential growth

Cons

Call center type environment. Mentally strenuous.

A little more hands on training for everyone, especially in the beginning.

Great stepping stone, if you survive the first 2 months

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

free lunch, absolutely amazing healthcare benefits, great people, fun office to work in. It looks great on your resume if you make it here even 8 months, just about any inside sales job in NY will want you if they see that.

Cons

if you're in sales, the inequality of opportunity for success. You will be assigned a territory as will your peers and you would all be held to the same quota, but may have drastically different opportunity for success. There are some markets where ZocDoc has burned so many bridges from either setting poor expectations of the product or sales people being too persistent in attempt to hit their monthly target.

Have adjusted quotas based on maturity of markets

"Zocdoc (India) is the place to be yourself,Live Up and be Smart.Its the place for Millennials"

Former Employee - Employee  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Employee in Pune (India)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was working with the India setup of Zocdoc

Some super cool points:
    -Fun and work at equal levels
    -Best culture.Smart team memebers encouraging talent.
    -Niche environment to work with as the management makes sure to keep your mood uplifted at all times.

Zocdoc India has engraved the same culture of Zocdoc,NY and has even decorated office space to match the themes

Network admin faculties, management, Security, and its location-few things that you notice as UP TO THE MARK

The exec panel always keep up on their feet to help their employees. And hence they are also strict about performing withing the company,like all companies do.

Cons

Canteen was too spicy to my tastes and grand-cuisine-like.you wouldn't want to eat so much everyday.Even if you are not tempted you maybe eating a lot unknowingly.
    Same old tastes throughout weeks. Same masala/curry in different sabjis

IMPORTANT:
    Unless and until you can pace up to the work and can manage putting in more hours ,there shouldn't be any problem

Be aware-You would want to let yourself know that the work gets monotonous.
    This happens with every job profile in any company.
    But a job description is never about what really happens inside.

So you have to grasp new things on the go and let yourself perform.

Maybe be less political.

it was cool

I have been working at ZocDoc

Pros

good food fun people to work with

Cons

bad pay long hours its a grind

Do yourself a favor and do NOT work here

I have been working at ZocDoc

Pros

Benefits... yep, that's about it.

Cons

Training: The training program consisted of five straight days of management shoving as much info as possible down the trainees' throats. After these five days, you are shoved out into the "bull pen" to make upwards of 100 cold calls a day.

Unrealistic expectations set during interview process: During my final round interview, I asked whether it was possible to switch into other departments from sales. This was greeted with "everyone loves doing sales here, so most people don't switch, but of course it's possible if it's something you're interested in." That turned out to be total BS- once you are on a sales track, there is absolutely no room to move to other departments. They also don't tell you during the interview that if you don't perform/close enough doctors after 5 weeks, you are put on 10 days of what is essentially probation- and if you don't do what they say in those 10 days/they aren't satisfied with you, you're gone.

Favoritism: A HUGE facet of the culture here. Most managers/team leaders are not directly involved with their teams- I barely saw my team leader after training was over- but those that are involved absolutely play favorites. I would give examples, but they're almost too degrading to write. Also, different SOAs are assigned to different territories- and although certain territories are easier to sell in, everyone is held to the same quota requirements, regardless of territory.

Management: Sucks. Literally, they do not care enough about new hires to get involved in the day-to-day learning process- and those that do get involved are not nice (see favoritism section). Also, I joined ZD because I thought it was a cool, cutting edge company. We were promptly told "Most of you probably started here because you thought it was a cool, fun place to work. You thought wrong- there's no such thing as cool here. Expect to work 12 hour days..." etc a whole saga of how our expectations- which were largely framed and formed by recruiters/the interview process- were wrong. We were also told "Most of you won't last here." Company morale isn't really boosted by such a high turnover rate- and such a blatant disregard for individual employees.

Challenging but not very rewarding

Current Employee - Operations Associate  in  Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Pune (India)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best company culture I have experienced in my career. Management will mould you well so you are better prepared to take on the future challenges.

Cons

Slow career growth has caused a lot of people to leave the company over the past year. Lots of office politics. Some managers get back at employees over trivial matters.

Senior management needs to take care of employees career growth.

It's a grind with a lot of pros and a lot of cons, huge peaks, huge valleys

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

First off, I would take any reviews from a SOA with a grain of salt, unless you are looking for experience specific to that role. They are essentially a training program with training wheels,

Product truly is the next natural step in healthcare, I don't think it's hubris. I LOVE my coworkers, they are the best and my reason for coming in each day. Free lunch, great healthcare benefits. Happy hour on Fridays is usually a lot of fun. Tons of attractive people (seriously, lots of good looking individuals to the point that it is a legitimate positive), good atmosphere, nice office in a beautiful location in New York City. Stocked snack room, team events, lots of cash competitions.

The company truly cares about its employees, and is truly passionate about their mission. There is a lot of access for upper management, and some really great people here.

Cons

LONG HOURS. 8-6 at least, but you are expected to work after hours as well, especially if your territory sucks.

They are growing so fast, and are not doing a good job of managing this growth on the sales team side.

I don't know why this myth of all territories being equitable is pushed on us. Maybe when the Salesteam was 20 people, and there were huge areas for each rep. But not now. Somewhere like St. Louis shouldn't have the same quota as North NJ. They are losing good people over this. What's even more puzzling, is I've heard that management is actually devising an algorithm to come up with more realistic quotas, but nobody on the actually sales team knows about this. Why would you not tell the salesforce about this?

This companies strategy at this point seems to be solely to cover the continental US as soon as possible, which seems to be tied to going public as soon as possible. As a result. some of the territories are absolute garbage. It doesn't feel good when it seems like the advice of outside investors is pushing the company's strategy.

A symptom of this focus is that SOAs are being pushed up to SAs and ISEs WAY TOO FAST. The top reps cut their teeth learning how to get access (one of the hardest parts of the job). When I got hired, most SOAs stayed in their role for 6 months or so. Before I was hired, it was nearly 9 months. Now they are being churned out in 2-4 months. Yeah, this might sound great if you are reading these reviews to become a SOA, until you get promoted out of the SOA role and fall flat on your face and end up getting fired or hating your territory (have fun in Rest of State South Carolina) so much you are quitting.

Sales (not SalesOps) are treated as disposable. You can kind of trace the reasons for this just by looking at the LinkedIn profiles of the SalesOps vs Sales team. SalesOps are Ivy Leaguers and Investment Bankers, while sometimes it feels as though Sales are just the smooth talking idiots who get it done.

Adjust quotas. These aren't the old days where there is actual focus on retention and development, with a long SOA training and massive areas for reps to sell in. If you want to grow fast and give people garbage territories, at least adjust for it. Stop letting investors drive overall goals of the company.

This company will reach a watershed where we will start receiving a huge amount of inbounds. The only rationale I can say for the new absurdly aggressive sales tactic in areas where we do not have a large patient base is to cover the country and go public. I've sat down with some very high up individuals who say that patients come after doctors are on board, so I may be incorrect about this, but from a perspective of someone on the ground, this is how it seems.

Worked for ZocDoc? Contribute to the Community!