ZocDoc Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014

3.1

ZocDoc Founder & CEO Cyrus Massoumi
Cyrus Massoumi

Pros
  • Free Lunch Everyday - Can't beat that (in 17 reviews)

• catered lunch, and a rather stocked kitchen with snacks throughout the day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance - They expect you to make work your life (in 6 reviews)

• I've never seen such a high turnover for sales people than this company (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

"Zocdoc (India) is the place to be yourself,Live Up and be Smart.Its the place for Millennials"

Former Employee - Employee  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Employee in Pune (India)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was working with the India setup of Zocdoc

Some super cool points:
    -Fun and work at equal levels
    -Best culture.Smart team memebers encouraging talent.
    -Niche environment to work with as the management makes sure to keep your mood uplifted at all times.

Zocdoc India has engraved the same culture of Zocdoc,NY and has even decorated office space to match the themes

Network admin faculties, management, Security, and its location-few things that you notice as UP TO THE MARK

The exec panel always keep up on their feet to help their employees. And hence they are also strict about performing withing the company,like all companies do.

Cons

Canteen was too spicy to my tastes and grand-cuisine-like.you wouldn't want to eat so much everyday.Even if you are not tempted you maybe eating a lot unknowingly.
    Same old tastes throughout weeks. Same masala/curry in different sabjis

IMPORTANT:
    Unless and until you can pace up to the work and can manage putting in more hours ,there shouldn't be any problem

Be aware-You would want to let yourself know that the work gets monotonous.
    This happens with every job profile in any company.
    But a job description is never about what really happens inside.

So you have to grasp new things on the go and let yourself perform.

Maybe be less political.

it was cool

I have been working at ZocDoc

Pros

good food fun people to work with

Cons

bad pay long hours its a grind

Do yourself a favor and do NOT work here

I have been working at ZocDoc

Pros

Benefits... yep, that's about it.

Cons

Training: The training program consisted of five straight days of management shoving as much info as possible down the trainees' throats. After these five days, you are shoved out into the "bull pen" to make upwards of 100 cold calls a day.

Unrealistic expectations set during interview process: During my final round interview, I asked whether it was possible to switch into other departments from sales. This was greeted with "everyone loves doing sales here, so most people don't switch, but of course it's possible if it's something you're interested in." That turned out to be total BS- once you are on a sales track, there is absolutely no room to move to other departments. They also don't tell you during the interview that if you don't perform/close enough doctors after 5 weeks, you are put on 10 days of what is essentially probation- and if you don't do what they say in those 10 days/they aren't satisfied with you, you're gone.

Favoritism: A HUGE facet of the culture here. Most managers/team leaders are not directly involved with their teams- I barely saw my team leader after training was over- but those that are involved absolutely play favorites. I would give examples, but they're almost too degrading to write. Also, different SOAs are assigned to different territories- and although certain territories are easier to sell in, everyone is held to the same quota requirements, regardless of territory.

Management: Sucks. Literally, they do not care enough about new hires to get involved in the day-to-day learning process- and those that do get involved are not nice (see favoritism section). Also, I joined ZD because I thought it was a cool, cutting edge company. We were promptly told "Most of you probably started here because you thought it was a cool, fun place to work. You thought wrong- there's no such thing as cool here. Expect to work 12 hour days..." etc a whole saga of how our expectations- which were largely framed and formed by recruiters/the interview process- were wrong. We were also told "Most of you won't last here." Company morale isn't really boosted by such a high turnover rate- and such a blatant disregard for individual employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging but not very rewarding

Current Employee - Operations Associate  in  Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Pune (India)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best company culture I have experienced in my career. Management will mould you well so you are better prepared to take on the future challenges.

Cons

Slow career growth has caused a lot of people to leave the company over the past year. Lots of office politics. Some managers get back at employees over trivial matters.

Senior management needs to take care of employees career growth.

It's a grind with a lot of pros and a lot of cons, huge peaks, huge valleys

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

First off, I would take any reviews from a SOA with a grain of salt, unless you are looking for experience specific to that role. They are essentially a training program with training wheels,

Product truly is the next natural step in healthcare, I don't think it's hubris. I LOVE my coworkers, they are the best and my reason for coming in each day. Free lunch, great healthcare benefits. Happy hour on Fridays is usually a lot of fun. Tons of attractive people (seriously, lots of good looking individuals to the point that it is a legitimate positive), good atmosphere, nice office in a beautiful location in New York City. Stocked snack room, team events, lots of cash competitions.

The company truly cares about its employees, and is truly passionate about their mission. There is a lot of access for upper management, and some really great people here.

Cons

LONG HOURS. 8-6 at least, but you are expected to work after hours as well, especially if your territory sucks.

They are growing so fast, and are not doing a good job of managing this growth on the sales team side.

I don't know why this myth of all territories being equitable is pushed on us. Maybe when the Salesteam was 20 people, and there were huge areas for each rep. But not now. Somewhere like St. Louis shouldn't have the same quota as North NJ. They are losing good people over this. What's even more puzzling, is I've heard that management is actually devising an algorithm to come up with more realistic quotas, but nobody on the actually sales team knows about this. Why would you not tell the salesforce about this?

This companies strategy at this point seems to be solely to cover the continental US as soon as possible, which seems to be tied to going public as soon as possible. As a result. some of the territories are absolute garbage. It doesn't feel good when it seems like the advice of outside investors is pushing the company's strategy.

A symptom of this focus is that SOAs are being pushed up to SAs and ISEs WAY TOO FAST. The top reps cut their teeth learning how to get access (one of the hardest parts of the job). When I got hired, most SOAs stayed in their role for 6 months or so. Before I was hired, it was nearly 9 months. Now they are being churned out in 2-4 months. Yeah, this might sound great if you are reading these reviews to become a SOA, until you get promoted out of the SOA role and fall flat on your face and end up getting fired or hating your territory (have fun in Rest of State South Carolina) so much you are quitting.

Sales (not SalesOps) are treated as disposable. You can kind of trace the reasons for this just by looking at the LinkedIn profiles of the SalesOps vs Sales team. SalesOps are Ivy Leaguers and Investment Bankers, while sometimes it feels as though Sales are just the smooth talking idiots who get it done.

Adjust quotas. These aren't the old days where there is actual focus on retention and development, with a long SOA training and massive areas for reps to sell in. If you want to grow fast and give people garbage territories, at least adjust for it. Stop letting investors drive overall goals of the company.

This company will reach a watershed where we will start receiving a huge amount of inbounds. The only rationale I can say for the new absurdly aggressive sales tactic in areas where we do not have a large patient base is to cover the country and go public. I've sat down with some very high up individuals who say that patients come after doctors are on board, so I may be incorrect about this, but from a perspective of someone on the ground, this is how it seems.

A fantastic place to build a career in sales (if you work hard at it)

Current Employee - Sales Origination Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Origination Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

Pros

ZocDoc is unlike any other place I've worked. The culture is great, the perks are even better, and the people here are among the best and brightest in New York.

Yes, there are hard quotas they expect you to hit, and yes, sometimes management isn't always helpful, but we are warned of these things before we start. Reading other reviews I'm not sure why people are surprised. The quotas and expectations are no different than other sales positions in the city. You will be on the phone for most of the day, cold-calling doctors, and trying to sell them on ZocDoc. Some regions are harder to sell in than others. All of this was mentioned in the phone screen with my recruiter, so none of it came as a surprise. Those who fail do so because of a lack of will. However, if you are good at what you do, there is a ton of room for growth, and a lot of SOAs move on to more senior roles before they've been here a year.

-Free, catered lunches every day (we use a couple dozen restaurants as vendors, so the food is never boring)
    -100% healthcare covered, paid for by ZD
    -Unlimited vacation days (no one is keeping track of when you take off--just have to make sure that you're not leaving work unfinished)
    -Super casual environment (sometimes I wear sweatpants and no one bats an eyelash)
    -Young, creative, fun company culture
    -Great team events
    -Sales contests to win cash prizes
    -Tons of opportunity for growth
    -Weekly, all-hands happy hour on Fridays
    -Great snack room
    -Laptop and cell phone provided for you
    -Bright, open, multi-floor office in SoHo

Cons

-Growing pains typical of a start-up
    -Raises often only come if you ask for them (and aren't guaranteed based on tenure, etc.)
    -Hours vary depending on workload, but that's true for most jobs
    -If you don't like to work hard, this isn't the place for you

More transparency is always appreciated.

Love the people I worked with

Current Employee - Operations Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a lot working at ZocDoc. I was given the opportunity to work on numerous projects and have my voice heard to actually implement changes. The people are amazing and were what made me want to come to work every day.

Cons

The upper management (executives) don't put their employees first. As much as they say they do, there are a lot of situations where they make decisions without consulting the people it will impact which is why they can't hold on to the great people they want .

Long Hours

Former Employee - SOA/ISE
    Former Employee - SOA/ISE

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

Pros

100% free healthcare
    Pingpong Table if you play
    Free lunch
    Great people- what's left

Cons

Be ready to work 9-10+ hours every day.
    Unobtainable goals, 60 dials min 2hrs of Talk time.
    Must close 4 docs every month and don't earn a penny until your 5th doctor. 250 bonus on your 5 doc, but then if a doc "churns" the deduct your commission? Haha why are we penalized if the doctor doesn't want to stay for 6 months? I did my job and made the sale, not my fault the doc doesn't like your service.

Then the cycle starts over again next month. Every market is different, not one higher up seems to understand that.
    Earn 850 every two weeks? Can you live off that?
    Might as we'll stay a SOA setting a min of 3 meetings a day is more obtainable. There is a high level of mid communication.

And finally - the "rules" on sales: if YOU sell a doc and he practices in someone else's territory it goes to them? Haha... Us before me is a core value- management will tell you to ask the other rep if you can have it and the other greedy reps take it.. Free sale for them 0 numbers for you. In my life in sales... If you sell it get CC etc. credit goes to you. Give credit where credit is due.

Give more time to employees especially the reps that own coast market. Lower the goals, this isn't New York. Don't falsify employees with "unlimited vacation time" and still breathe down are necks.

NY stop treating AZ as the red headed step child.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Given enough latitude to get things done. Kind people.

Cons

The company and culture are changing, hope we land on the right side

We need to do more with honest internal reviews. More transparent about them, and possibly be able to do them for peers, not just upwards management.

When I have a bad day, I just remember that I am not working at this sweatshop

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in New York, NY

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

Pros

-cool office, great location
    -the coffee is good
    -spirit of getting things done quickly

Cons

-terrible salary
    -insane hours (for a terrible salary with zero upside potential)
    -patronizing/elitist upper management
    -bratty, inexperienced, know-it-all 20-somethings
    -cult-like enviroment
    -sweatshop-like conditions

This is a place for someone who just graduated college and has not worked in any other workplace. The management at ZocDoc creates a college-like environment in which there is a cafeteria with free lunch, free beer, and ridiculous expectations and work hours. For example, in the Operations group, work is from 8AM -5PM and THEN, there are meetings for different domains starting at 6:30PM. So, not only is one doing Customer Support all. day. long. Then, one must do Product Development/Training/Marketing after hours. They even encourage weekends to get (full-time) projects done. And sometimes, you have to skip lunch and eat at your desk to do stay logged in because that's what your team decided. Social events, which are scheduled nearly daily, are not exactly optional. It's a circus-like, frenzied, all-nighter, college-like environment. They even asked us where we went to college so they could put up pennants in the main conference room. I mean, really!!

This environment is cultivated by their (stupid) mottos of "work hard", "make work fun" and "speak up!" The latter is taken quite literally when employees with less than 2 years of work experience shut down the brainstorming process and don't know how to listen to other ideas/opinions. Furthermore, it is a culture of unsolicited advice, lack of manners and etiquette, and bullying under the guise of "teamwork" and speaking one's mind.

The leadership team encourages this behavior but manages to keep the young employees star-struck by their hubris ("We are transforming healthcare!" seriously?) and pedigree. In fact, ZocDoc does not hire upper management unless they went to a top-tier college/university even if someone has extensive and impressive work experience. All I kept thinking about when I was there was this: this is an oligarchy! More evidence of this is the turnover. ZD claims to put people first, yet you will see employees fired (yes, fired) on a DAILY basis. They dispose their people and move onto the next innocent lamb, er, 22 year old NYU grad...

In summary, I would not recommend anyone to work at this place.

I will try to be constructive here but it's tough. Pay people competitive salaries. Groom your talent and focus on retention. Don't take advantage of young employees who don't know any better! Pay them better, work within reasonable hours, allow them to cultivate a life outside of ZocDoc.

Worked for ZocDoc? Contribute to the Community!