ZocDoc

ZocDoc Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

ZocDoc Founder & CEO Cyrus Massoumi

Cyrus Massoumi

Pros:
  • "Free lunch, ping pong tables, and positive environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "They do pay a great salary and have unmatched health benefits"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "I've never seen such a high turnover for sales people than this company"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work/life balance can be tough, there's always more to be done"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall, A Solid Company - With a Couple Glaring Flaws

Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement and tenured employees are all incredibly driven and talented people who will be valuable connections down your career.

Plenty of upward mobility and opportunity for growth.

Free lunch, ping pong tables, and positive environment.

ConsWhile I understand the benefits of having a data-driven approach to sales campaigns, there are some serious flaws with building a company this way. When you remove the human judgment from the processes it prevents any kind of flexibility, thus hamstringing the sales reps.

Also, if you get assigned a poor territory, or are placed in a territory that has been burnt to the ground by a previous rep, good luck putting up any kind of quality numbers. However, with a little bit of luck and a LOT of hard work, you can be successful at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of approaching each sales situation with a global perspective, allow some flexibility and room to negotiate for representatives. If you have such confidence in your data driven approach (i.e. the doc WILL see patients) then offer retroactive billing, or free months, etc.

Love It Or Hate It. I Hate It.

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

ProsNetworking opportunities--a lot of the cattle herded through here (yes, it's a slaughterhouse of high turnover) are sharp, top performers destined for professional success... elsewhere
Free health benefits
Selling to doctors is a good experience for any salesperson to have.
Paid company training in Phoenix or NYC
My regional manager is awesome and my trainer is a passionate enthusiast who helps facilitate my success
Lots of talent on the mid-management rung
People in the company do genuinely wish for you to succeed, and there are caring people and resources available to you to ensure that you do

ConsThe problem isn't the product itself or the people, it's almost entirely the upper executives and the myopia that they've created.
Despite what they tell you, your success will in fact be largely market-dependent, and the guys at the top are too arrogant to understand that not all markets are created equal, so instead of changing their tactics or devising intelligent, sensible strategies reflective of marketplace dynamics, they try the same tired approach but switch out their reps who quit or get fired. In that sense it's no different from any corporate American enterprise, so don't be fooled by the superficial "start up" perks or the "company values"
If you're in a big city where ZocDoc has some traction, you will have a much easier time stating a compelling case to a doctor because your numbers will be a lot better, whereas if you're in a more rural, older environment, you're fighting for scraps, with the same quota, and without company support to do anything other than what hasn't worked for the rep you've replaced.
Inflexible price structure and refusal to negotiate is a total disaster in certain markets
You'll be given scripts and talking points to try and cover for gaping holes in the ZocDoc value proposition instead of engaging management in meaningful conversation about how the company can improve itself
It's difficult to have a real conversation with medical practices because ZocDoc has burned so many bridges with ineffective growth strategies aka call, call, call, call until you get a yes.
In that vein, you'll probably call on practices that have been called on dozens and dozens of times before. They don't address that in training.
Upper management will do everything in their power to ensure that your Salesforce activity is micro-micro-micro managed, as if it's the only determinant of your success.
Everything is measurable through Salesforce, except for their own hubris--that's infinite.
The recruiters lure people in with the prestige of "medical sales" and fool them into believing that ZocDoc on a resume will somehow be a career game changer. in reality you're often regarded in the same light as a Yellow Book ad salesman.
If you "speak up" past your regional superior with whom you've developed trust, you'll get swatted down like a fly
Salesforce ironically is so disorganized that it actually makes it harder for you to be successful

Advice to Senior ManagementDifferent markets require different approaches. Acknowledge this and build from the ground up.
The bill you run up recruiting, training and then replacing lost employees far outweighs the short term financial sacrifices you would theoretically make in order to jumpstart weak markets and give your reps more to work with. Be more up front with your reps in training beyond just, "this is a tough job and it's not for everyone."

Great place to work!

Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time

ProsZocDoc has created a fun work environment where employees are encouraged to challenge the status quo, think out of the box, and bring new ideas to the table. ZocDoc employs a smart, creative, and good humored group of people who are working hard and having fun at the same time. My personal experience has been great, and I feel lucky to work here. During my tenure at the company, I have constantly been given more responsibilities, and I have received generous raises at benchmarks of success. I work ~ 50 hours a week in the office. I'm always free to handle personal stuff during the work day if necessary. Employees always run errands, go for a haircut, or cut out mid-day to hit the gym. so yes, there are long hours sometimes, but it's also an atmosphere without micromanagement. It's like - do what you want as long as you get your stuff done.I feel empowered to conduct my business in the best way that suits me.

ConsI don't have anything notable to complain about.

best job you can have... if you're a masochist

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

ProsSometimes you get to leave the office before 7:30pm.
Free snacks/lunch
comfortable chairs
good office location

ConsSales managers have no idea how hire/manage or train correctly.
Directors are "yes men" and people are inundated with busy work under the guise of process improvement. Constantly.
The execs are arrogant to think they know how to do EVERY job better than those they hire and therefore micromanage people to unheard of levels. Then those employes are then blamed for the repercussion created by their mandated actions.
working in sales, you are treated like a piece of machinery, and rather than fix a squeaky wheel, they just replace the machine. I would love to know how many sales people have been hired and fired since ZocDocs inception...easily in the hundreds (which is scary to think there have been more people fired in their short existence than actually work there now.)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking about your core values, when you dont abide by them. work life balance? where? great people? even the ones you fire on a daily basis? own it? it hard to own something, when you dictate every step people take. Also, take some responsibility for your poor hiring practices, its not them...its you.

Waste of time

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch, fun people,

ConsThis was one of the worst mistakes i've made with respect to my sales career. I've never seen such a high turnover for sales people than this company. I have no idea what the strategy is here but i wish i could take back the few months i spent working at ZocDoc

Great Experience!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

Prospeople, culture, office environment, work/life balance, unlimited vacation days, full health benefits, free lunch

I've been here for 8 months and have had nothing but a positive experience. All of the managers I've reported to have been nothing but supportive in my career goals and have helped me every step of the way to achieve those goals. There has never been a time where I've felt my voice wasn't heard or valued.

ConsThere could be more extensive training for the sales teams and more communication between departments so that we're running more efficiently as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there should be more support from upper management and more resources for the sales team to really make sure they are set up for success.

Honestly..Great concept & vision BUT HORRIBLE Senior Level Employees

Inside Sales Executive (Former Employee)

Prosfree lunch
laid back attire
Great Benefits

ConsEmployee Retention is low thus affecting the moral.
The territories and specialties you are calling on is out of your hands. This is huge because you essentially are not in control of your own destiny there.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the right expectations to applicants right out of the gate.

CEO, CFO, CMO are great. However they need to evaluate their sales trainers and realize that if they hire top talent, following a script for every stage of the sales process won't be ideal.

Lastly, STAY TRUE TO YOUR VALUES!!! At Zocdoc employees are "encouraged" to speak up, but the second you challenge someones point of view you're screwed.

Operations Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunity to grow your skill set, you work with AWESOME people, and there's always an opportunity to dive into new projects!

ConsWork/life balance can be tough, there's always more to be done!

Wonderful work environment. Dedicated employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome perks, good benefits, casual dress.

ConsLong hours, steep learning curve for new hires.

Not fun at all

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ZocDoc full-time

ProsOn the surface this place seems great. It offers a flexible schedule, the chance to work with driven, ambitious people, and the various perks that go with working someplace developing a product for consumers. It is definitely not a place for slackers and you are expected to work hard and give your 100%.

ConsI may be an outlier but having been around the block and worked for a number of years I found the atmosphere quite abusive. While you can learn a lot from being here, you also get the macho-culture that pervades some startups. In addition the hours while seemingly flexible are quite abusive to people who have young children to care for at home. Since most people wander in anytime they want (usually late and leave late), most people who have responsibilities or outside obligations are not able to meet them. There's was also a lot of churn and let's throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks type work which resulted in unnecessary context switching and longer hours. Some people will succeed in this culture but this isn't a place where all people (regardless of talent) can do well in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKudos for coming up with a great idea and building a company out of it, but can you sustain it? Can you create a true long term business that leverages a broader talent base than the narrow definition of success you have created for yourself? What got you here won't necessarily get you there.

Worked for ZocDoc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ZocDoc reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ZocDoc CEO Cyrus Massoumi . All 96 reviews posted anonymously by ZocDoc employees.