ZocDoc

Updated December 21, 2014
3.6

ZocDoc Founder & CEO Cyrus Massoumi
Cyrus Massoumi

Pros
  • Free lunch and a great way to network with really cool people (in 22 reviews)

• There is a lot of access for upper management, and some really great people here (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance - They expect you to make work your life (in 10 reviews)

• I've never seen such a high turnover for sales people than this company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Sweat Shop for Sales People

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at ZocDoc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Expense reports, good work equipment, and health insurance,

Cons

This is literally a sweat shop for sales people. They do not care about you. They will fire you. There were 13 people in my training class. After 1 year, there were 2 left. The $ they say you will make is bogus. Their compensation structure was constructed to make sure that you never catch the carrot but instead keep chasing it. Training was more like concentration camp. Very stressful.

Add a core value... "listen".

You get to work hard which is great! However, if you are in an "entry level" role you might as well be garbage to them

I worked at ZocDoc

Pros

You get a chance to work hard.

Cons

Sexual harassment, mice, there is an article on Forbes and Business insider about it. It is all true. Guys get away with any behavior and cover up things for each other.

Take accountability for the actions of your employees. Entry level workers legally have rights too.

They want to look good, but they are actually awful

Former Employee - Sales Origination Associate in New York, NY

I worked at ZocDoc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free health insurance, start up environment, if they like you then you can work there for a while. Be nice to the right people.

Cons

Not the company they present themselves to be. They are riddled with mice, It is a boys club. The women are treated poorly, and any sexual harassment complaints are ignored. Management will never admit that any of the managers do wrong. The company holds no accountability for the actions of their employees. If you are a SOA you are basically garbage with no rights because you are "entry level", so you can be discriminated against, sexually harassed, bullied, pretty much anything goes. If you are "entry level" they basically treat you like an idiot who doesn't know anything or have any rights, including rights to speak up. There was even a recent article on sexual harassment at this company recently on Business Insider. They seem to still be making money.

If you continue to deny, and hide things it will eventually catch up with you.

Get out what you put in.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked at ZocDoc now for 4 months. Commission structure is amazing. I have been killing it, already earned almost 20k in commission's alone. I am not a recruiter, I'm an ISE. Look it up. As for the negative reviews, they are just a bunch weak people, that can't sell. Work life balance, are you kidding me. You have weekends off, and put in 8-10 hour days max. For this kind of pay and lax work environment, these people must be kidding.

Cons

You actually have to try. If you are going to be a sales rep, then there are no cons.

Management improves every month. This is a young company, but does a great job of listening to employees to improve workplace.

Great company, just not if you are in sales.

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Amazing benefits
    Cool work gatherings

Cons

Despite what they tell you, you will not make any money.
    People get promoted for the wrong reasons

Promote the most capable not the people you like.

Very unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at ZocDoc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good innovative product that is changing the way new patients interact with medical professionals. Fun office to visit in New York and the CEO is a very smart visionary. The company is well-funded by prominent Silicon Valley investors and will probably incorporate new product lines down the road.

Cons

One of the worst sales cultures I have ever seen. They are constantly firing sales people. Churn for sales people is very high. By the end of my time at Zoc Doc I was the last person left from my initial training class. They are well staffed in the recruiting department because they always have open positions to fill. Doctors make jokes about how many different outside sales people they have seen and are aware of the high turnover. If you don't hit your monthly target you have 2 weeks to make up the deficit or else you are fired. It's tough to make commission regularly because sand bagging helps you to just keep your job. You will probably never feel your job is safe if you work here. They put restrictions on certain doctors you can sell to in order to prevent saturation. It's good for the business and doctors but it becomes harder to sell and your target does not change. Most of the comments you read about the company culture will in be in reference to the New York office. If you don't physically work in the NY office you will not experience this culture.

Work on developing and retaining outside sales people. In the long run it will be more cost effective to retain and develop people when compared to firing and starting the recruiting process again. Roll out annual sales plans and start tracking annually and quarterly. If reps are not on track to achieve quarterly targets involve managers to come up with plans to to hit or exceed targets. Looking at results over only a 4 week period is ineffective and does not set people, the company or doctors up for success.

Great mission, lots of growth for people who want to build

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at the company for more than two years, and they have always done right by me. ZocDoc is a meritocracy and the company supports and invests in the people who invest in it. It's a great place for people who like to raise their hand to take on new and interesting challenges, helping ZocDoc grow while their grow their professional skill set as well. The company is committed to developing leaders internally, making sure that great people can find new challenges here across departments. The leadership team sincerely cares about its employees and seems to spend a lot of time thinking about how to make ZocDoc even better. The people here are amazing - sharp, humble, collaborative, challenging, and caring.

The business model actually works and the service we provide is honestly a great one. The vision of the company is much bigger than online appointment scheduling, and I believe we're just getting started.

For people who want to build something, try new things, and pave the way, they shouldn't hesitate to climb aboard. For people who want to do the same job day in, day out, clock in, clock out, maintain the status quo - probably better to go to a big corporation without any fire in the belly.

Cons

Much of the staff - especially Sales - is pretty green and they have no idea just how good they have it here! The company is definitely still learning how to operate at its size, but Leadership seems to be invested in getting it right, hearing how they can improve, and learning as they grow. This hypergrowth could also be a pro, for people who want a front row seat to watching (and shaping) how a company successfully scales.

Keep listening to employees, investing in the culture, and don't lose site of our mission.

Selling something you can believe in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is growing but still in a stage where each individual can make change or a difference (if they take the initiative). ZocDoc has done a good job of assembling a lot of really smart people who are good at what they do, and they are getting better every day at figuring out how to take the best from everyone and apply it. The pay is competitive, and if you factor in health benefits, you are ahead compared to most companies (especially if you have a family).

Cons

This is a sales job in every sense of the word. If you aren't prepared to work hard for your money, you will struggle.

Communicate with all levels as much as possible.

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at ZocDoc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good company with a lot of growth opportunity.

Cons

you have to be hard working

keep up the good work

Sexual harassment, lie to doctors, unprofessional, uneducated boys club says it all for ZocDoc!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at ZocDoc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free health benefits, free cell phone, catered lunch.

Cons

Sexual harassment
    Rat poop on every desk everyday
    Revolving door for new hires
    Inexperienced management
    Unprofessional
    Upper management not involved with salespeople
    Unethical moral conduct
    Lie to doctors
    ZocDoc is all smoke and mirrors as a company to work for
    Cheated out of sales