Zocalo Group Reviews

Paul M. Rand

Social Media Community Manager

Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to learn the intricacies of the ever evolving world of Social

Cons

Some clients can be more demanding than others

Great agency to work for if your interested in social media/digital!

Current Employee - Account Management Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Management Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Friendly atmosphere, culture committee, summer hours etc.
    -Great job growth opportunity
    -Great exposure to social/digital campaigns
    -Flexible w/your schedule when wanting to take a day or two off

Cons

-Work levels can sometimes be an overload
    -Sometimes you work longer hours

Great company for growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Believes in young talent, but the level of talent at the company encourages employees to improve. Flexible time-off, great company values

Cons

Clear divide between senior and junior employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Focused on profit, not employees.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is fantastic! They have a team dedicated to planning parties and such. You also have half days in the summer every friday from memorial day to labor day. That's really the only pro.

Cons

They don't pay you well. AT ALL. Expect to make under market value, work overtime (without getting paid overtime). They canceled their comp time policy so you are just expected to be on call 24/7. Watch out for promotions and pay increases - they don't go together! They like to promote you and "sit" on your raise for various financial reasons. Senior leadership has been there since the ice age. They have no idea what is actually going on in the digital and social space, and will make everything their way or the highway. Clients are consistently cutting budgets b/c nothing new or innovative is being presented.

Take the time to invest in your employees and train them. Be open to ideas from ALL levels, and give people opportunities to succeed. Push the envelope with clients, and don't just stay "safe". Stop only focusing on profit. You need your employees to be happy, and sometimes that takes a little monetary investment.

No place I'd rather be

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time

Pros

Zocalo has consistently stayed on the leading edge of digital and social, making a real business impact for clients. The company's leadership in Social Media Week and other areas is really impressive and people know the company. Lots of attention paid to making sure teams are challenged, growing and having fun -- all while doing works clients respect

Cons

There never seems to be enough hours in the day -- as social and digital is a 24/7 business. Company seems to be working hard to create flex hours and structure to accomodate

Keep the open communications and transparency. Goes a long way

An amazing learning experience - especially for an intern!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone here is very welcoming and the culture is fantastic! As an intern, I quickly realized that although everyone is busy, if you have a question people are happy to help you out. The best part is, I wasn't treated as an intern! There were no coffee runs or pointless jobs. Instead I found myself going to work excited about what I would be doing for the day, whether it was sitting in a brainstorm or tracking budgets. It definitely helps the learning experience when you know that you're being trusted to do the actual job.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but there is always something to be done and you will definitely be kept busy. Sometimes you may not even notice the time flying by.

Challenging work, fun culture and opportunities to work for top clients

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zocalo offers a chance to work on top-tier clients in a fast-paced but friendly office culture where you can still get to know everyone. Leadership is extremely responsive to feedback from all levels, and is continuously fine-tuning policies due to feedback. There's a sense that Zocalo is "our company," and an entrepreneurial spirit is embraced. Employees at all levels are expected to bring creative ideas and new ways of doing things to the table.

Unlike at some large agencies, there's also a lot of flexibility in terms of professional growth. In addition to lots of training, leadership allows people to move around to different functions -- i.e. from account management to research or digital -- and takes people's passions and interests into account when making staffing plans.

The company also puts a lot of focus on culture, so expect a work-hard, play-hard attitude with perks like short Fridays in the summer and plenty of staff parties.

Cons

It seems normal for the industry (and a growing company), but the staffing process is always a work in progress; work levels can go from slow to crazy-busy, and it can seem like some people are underworked while others are burning the midnight oil.

And a couple of things that could be pros or cons depending on your work style: It's a very collaborative environment and an e-mail heavy environment, so expect to spend a lot of time in meetings and answering emails!

Continue to work out the staffing kinks and smooth out work levels; Keep up the great professional development opportunities and culture.

Some of the smartest minds in the industry empowered by a unique focus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at a variety of digital and social businesses and in my experience Zócalo offers a refreshing and differentiating focus (generating real recommendations, not just online buzz) and a proven, sustainable approach for its clients.

For it's employees, this means: great learning opportunities working with industry leaders, exposure to impressive brands, real opportunities for career advancement, a nurturing culture that encourages individual thought-leadership, and an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but as others have said in their Glassdoor reviews, there is no shortage of work in this quickly growing mid-sized company. You will be busy.

Great Place to Work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It's always nice to walk in to work surrounded by others that actually want to be there and enjoy what they do. At Zocalo, you will definitely keep busy with lots of work to do, but the office environment is remarkable- upbeat, positive, and most importantly fun! There's never a dull week, the culture committee is always on their game with providing office gatherings and a break away from work. Upper management is always eager to help and genuinely care about helping you advance in your career. You get what you put into it, and there's always help in leading to you success!

Cons

Long hours, but there's lots of work to be done

Hands on experience working in one of the marketing industry's hottest fields at a leading agency

Current Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

One thing Zocalo Group prides itself on is an entrepreneurial spirit. This is truly one of the things I enjoy about the agency - it translates into a tight-knit working environment, access to senior leadership and really open communication to all levels at the agency. However, since it is part of the Ketchum & Omnicom networks, it is nice to have access to the types of perks that exist within this type of international network.

On a more personal level, I've had the opportunity to work on projects that fall into areas I'm passionate about. Areas I used to work in on the side at previous jobs, I know get to incorporate into my full-time career.

I've also experienced several opportunities to grow my career here. I've found that my contributions to the team have been regularly recognized and rewarded. I know I still have many opportunities to grow and move up in this agency.

Lastly, I find the environment to be fun and casual. This doesn't mean there's any shortage of work, drive and ambition here. It just means that the work we get to do is interesting and always evolving. There are certainly no two days alike here. And let's face it, working in social media & working with bloggers/influencers is fun!

Cons

The job can be demanding since social media is always on & can require immediate responses even on off hours. Like any other quickly-growing company, there are sometimes growing pains transitioning from a smaller to mid-size agency.

Worked for Zocalo Group? Contribute to the Community!