Zocalo Group

Paul M. Rand

Incredible place to work

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My 6 1/2 year experience at Zocalo Group was nothing short of fantastic. It never felt like a "job." It was a career where I was surrounded by people I respected, and given opportunities to work with major global clients in an exciting area of marketing (social media, digital, word-of-mouth.) Paul Rand, the CEO, is an incredible leader. And the senior leadership team is full of great folks from whom I learned a lot.

I looked forward to coming to work every day -- for the people, the projects, and the experience.

Cons

Zocalo Group isn't a large agency with standardized sets of processes and best practices. For a 7-year old agency, it still has many of the characteristics that you'd expect from a small company. This can certainly lead to challenges sometimes. Yet, if you view these challenges as problems to be solved, you'll find a senior leadership team that's open to hearing your ideas and is passionate about working hard to make things right.

Great experience learning basics of social media marketing

I worked at Zocalo Group

Pros

Learned a lot of basics related to creating content, social media marketing on basic platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn

Cons

Senior Management not always transparent about state of business

Out of touch, borderlining on incopatent

Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group

Pros

I would like to say that there were some pros here but I really can't.

Cons

The work is elementary, and the leadership lacks the ability to deliver clear actionable direction. Their potential to develop strategic marketing campaigns is extremely questionable. I would highly recommend that if place any weight on quality and craftsmanship I would stay clear.

You might want to reconsider your staffing choices.

Great potential, but ultimately disappointing due to out of touch leadership

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time

Pros

Some of the people are great here, the view is awesome, and summer Fridays. The pay is also pretty well and above other agencies for the position.

Cons

The agency is only focused on increasing profit through new business and not by trying to grow and improve current accounts or grow current employees. Instead of having upper level management work on current client accounts, they go on multiple new business pitches a week. This pushes all the work down to lower and mid level employees who are given very little to no support. The managers do not take time to develop their employees skills, which at a low level severely hinders their growth. Since so many people have left there are now teams of 1-2 people, this is not a team and leaves zero room for growth. Company culture, what company culture? Instead of rewarding some of the employees to helped improve the culture and dim work environment, Zocalo laid them off.

Get in touch with the rest of the company. Instead of just doing passive aggressive surveys actually TALK to your employees and hear what they have to say. Do something nice for your employees such as bring in breakfast to show you care. Find your client niche and do not pitch unnecessary new business every week. Take the time to develop and grow current accounts instead of throwing new business and social media week work on your already busy employees.

Social Media Community Manager

Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to learn the intricacies of the ever evolving world of Social

Cons

Some clients can be more demanding than others

Great agency to work for if your interested in social media/digital!

Current Employee - Account Management Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Management Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Friendly atmosphere, culture committee, summer hours etc.
    -Great job growth opportunity
    -Great exposure to social/digital campaigns
    -Flexible w/your schedule when wanting to take a day or two off

Cons

-Work levels can sometimes be an overload
    -Sometimes you work longer hours

Great company for growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Believes in young talent, but the level of talent at the company encourages employees to improve. Flexible time-off, great company values

Cons

Clear divide between senior and junior employees.

Focused on profit, not employees.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is fantastic! They have a team dedicated to planning parties and such. You also have half days in the summer every friday from memorial day to labor day. That's really the only pro.

Cons

They don't pay you well. AT ALL. Expect to make under market value, work overtime (without getting paid overtime). They canceled their comp time policy so you are just expected to be on call 24/7. Watch out for promotions and pay increases - they don't go together! They like to promote you and "sit" on your raise for various financial reasons. Senior leadership has been there since the ice age. They have no idea what is actually going on in the digital and social space, and will make everything their way or the highway. Clients are consistently cutting budgets b/c nothing new or innovative is being presented.

Take the time to invest in your employees and train them. Be open to ideas from ALL levels, and give people opportunities to succeed. Push the envelope with clients, and don't just stay "safe". Stop only focusing on profit. You need your employees to be happy, and sometimes that takes a little monetary investment.

No place I'd rather be

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time

Pros

Zocalo has consistently stayed on the leading edge of digital and social, making a real business impact for clients. The company's leadership in Social Media Week and other areas is really impressive and people know the company. Lots of attention paid to making sure teams are challenged, growing and having fun -- all while doing works clients respect

Cons

There never seems to be enough hours in the day -- as social and digital is a 24/7 business. Company seems to be working hard to create flex hours and structure to accomodate

Keep the open communications and transparency. Goes a long way

An amazing learning experience - especially for an intern!

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone here is very welcoming and the culture is fantastic! As an intern, I quickly realized that although everyone is busy, if you have a question people are happy to help you out. The best part is, I wasn't treated as an intern! There were no coffee runs or pointless jobs. Instead I found myself going to work excited about what I would be doing for the day, whether it was sitting in a brainstorm or tracking budgets. It definitely helps the learning experience when you know that you're being trusted to do the actual job.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but there is always something to be done and you will definitely be kept busy. Sometimes you may not even notice the time flying by.