Zocalo Group Reviews

Paul M. Rand

1. Zocalo Group

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Felt connected to my team and account managers, was given room to perform new and innovative tasks that benefited the agency and our clients from time to time. Felt a good connection to other younger employees, strong creative team with lots of ideas. Overall I really enjoyed my time at Zocalo Group and walked away with boatloads of experience.

Cons

Felt a bit stifled at times creatively, lots of recurring monthly work that tended to get tedious. Working in a corporate agency can be a bit unglamorous from time to time.

Advice to Management

Zocalo Group has prided itself on its ability to adapt to the new social landscape, I think it would be awesome to think of new ways to restructure internally away from the "traditional" hierarchy of management and put younger team members in more dynamic roles that speak to their passion points.

2. A good place to be.

Pros

Great people. Fun, funny, and light-hearted. Nice team atmosphere. Strong creative team. Lots of hard-working, talented people who are on their game.

Cons

Long hours due to a lot of new business pitches. Lots of recurring weekly/monthly work that can get tedious.

Unstable management

Pros

Good opportunity to build resume and portfolio working on big brands.

Cons

There's no cohesiveness between groups and departments, resulting in an inefficient and out of touch machine. Corporate agency that doesn't lend well to growth for employees and creativity. A lot of turnover and inner turmoil, especially on the creative and account teams.

Advice to Management

Management is too focused on meeting expectations of clients. They'd do well to invest growth opportunities to their employees.

Zocalo Group

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Fun work environment. Great benefits. Good senior leadership.

Cons

Long hours. Rigid corporate structure. a general lack of creativity at times.

Account Coordinator

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved working in this place. The vibe, energy, and people were great, down from the CEO to the interns. I was very lucky to land this job as it was my first job in Chicago but more importantly because of the skills I was able to gain, as well as well as the deep understanding of social media. Everyone there is truly an expert in the social media realm and I was grateful to meet and work with some of the industry's best. Everyone knows how much social media has changed the marketing world and the business world as a whole. If you're looking for a foot in the door or simply want to become more social media savvy then this company is the company for you!

Cons

I truly appreciated my time at this job, so on my part I have no cons to share. Put in the time, effort, and energy and they'll notice.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, Paul!

7. Great experience learning basics of social media marketing

Pros

Learned a lot of basics related to creating content, social media marketing on basic platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn

Cons

Senior Management not always transparent about state of business

8. Out of touch, borderlining on incopatent

Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL

Pros

I would like to say that there were some pros here but I really can't.

Cons

The work is elementary, and the leadership lacks the ability to deliver clear actionable direction. Their potential to develop strategic marketing campaigns is extremely questionable. I would highly recommend that if place any weight on quality and craftsmanship I would stay clear.

Advice to Management

You might want to reconsider your staffing choices.

Incredible place to work

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My 6 1/2 year experience at Zocalo Group was nothing short of fantastic. It never felt like a "job." It was a career where I was surrounded by people I respected, and given opportunities to work with major global clients in an exciting area of marketing (social media, digital, word-of-mouth.) Paul Rand, the CEO, is an incredible leader. And the senior leadership team is full of great folks from whom I learned a lot. I looked forward to coming to work every day -- for the people, the projects, and the experience.

Cons

Zocalo Group isn't a large agency with standardized sets of processes and best practices. For a 7-year old agency, it still has many of the characteristics that you'd expect from a small company. This can certainly lead to challenges sometimes. Yet, if you view these challenges as problems to be solved, you'll find a senior leadership team that's open to hearing your ideas and is passionate about working hard to make things right.

Great potential, but ultimately disappointing due to out of touch leadership

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time

Pros

Some of the people are great here, the view is awesome, and summer Fridays. The pay is also pretty well and above other agencies for the position.

Cons

The agency is only focused on increasing profit through new business and not by trying to grow and improve current accounts or grow current employees. Instead of having upper level management work on current client accounts, they go on multiple new business pitches a week. This pushes all the work down to lower and mid level employees who are given very little to no support. The managers do not take time to develop their employees skills, which at a low level severely hinders their growth. Since so many people have left there are now teams of 1-2 people, this is not a team and leaves zero room for growth. Company culture, what company culture? Instead of rewarding some of the employees to helped improve the culture and dim work environment, Zocalo laid them off.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the rest of the company. Instead of just doing passive aggressive surveys actually TALK to your employees and hear what they have to say. Do something nice for your employees such as bring in breakfast to show you care. Find your client niche and do not pitch unnecessary new business every week. Take the time to develop and grow current accounts instead of throwing new business and social media week work on your already busy employees.

11. Focused on profit, not employees.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is fantastic! They have a team dedicated to planning parties and such. You also have half days in the summer every friday from memorial day to labor day. That's really the only pro.

Cons

They don't pay you well. AT ALL. Expect to make under market value, work overtime (without getting paid overtime). They canceled their comp time policy so you are just expected to be on call 24/7. Watch out for promotions and pay increases - they don't go together! They like to promote you and "sit" on your raise for various financial reasons. Senior leadership has been there since the ice age. They have no idea what is actually going on in the digital and social space, and will make everything their way or the highway. Clients are consistently cutting budgets b/c nothing new or innovative is being presented.

Advice to Management

Take the time to invest in your employees and train them. Be open to ideas from ALL levels, and give people opportunities to succeed. Push the envelope with clients, and don't just stay "safe". Stop only focusing on profit. You need your employees to be happy, and sometimes that takes a little monetary investment.

RSS Feed </> Embed