Zonar Systems

High Energy, Fun Culture and Great Products

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fun and high-energy office with winning attitude
    - Great work-life balance (normally leave office by 5pm)
    - Family Oriented Culture and great social activities that help bond with coworkers
    - Innovative products that are well-liked by customers
    - Appreciation for work from top management
    - Great team work
    - Promote often

Cons

- Move at a very fast pace due to growth
    - Turnover in some depts is high
    - Salary is lower than other Tech companies

Keep up the amazing work culture that is very unique and hard to find at other companies. Offer more incentives to lower turnover and you will have a stellar company.

Solid Opportunity

Current Employee - Sales in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Sales in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is unlimited growth potential. There is a lot of opportunity to transfer from one department to another. Promotions come quick for those who work hard and are capable.

There is a team atmosphere in the sales department and was in field service when I worked as an FSR. I've more than doubled my income from my last job. This is a great place to work if you want to earn your paycheck. There is a lot of customer interaction in sales and customer service. Zonar gives you tools to be successful but you have to work. As an FSR I worked long hours and traveled often. The work was hard but rewarding. Sales reps have to build up their territories. This isn't a position for order takers. Creative thinking and problem solving are encouraged.

Cons

You have to ask for help if you need it. If you expect someone to tell you what to do for 8 hours a day then Zonar probably isn't for you.

Zonar Systems Response

Nov 4, 2014HR

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your honest feedback and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Zonar! As all Tech companies in the Seattle area know, employee retention in ... More

Tech Management at its worse

Former Employee - Dev
    Former Employee - Dev

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some nice people. Seem to have a positive revenue model.

Cons

The Tech leadership is in over their head and extremely narcissistic (knows all the answers, so far from the truth). Bad project planning (redoing work is common), lack of structure, and high employee turn-over (low pay and lack of creativity). Over half the PM's are non-tech and it shows. Little to no offered stock (ownerships is greedy, empty parking lot at 6 because of it), new employees are suspect. Tons of back-stabbing, Jr High locker room feel. Little to no teamwork.

Retire and let someone who knows tech companies run the show.

Misleading, Mismanaged, Misdirected, Outdated

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Kent, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only reason to work for this company is out of desperation, complacency, or lack of experience. About the only thing they have going for them is the involvement of personal/work life (if you're into that sort of thing).

Cons

Almost everything in the interview was misleading. They're not actually following standards, aren't using recent versions of anything, don't follow best practices for source control or software development, are using employees like monkeys, aren't flexible to new processes, use word-of-mouth to convey important team-altering information, regularly have emergency issues during off-time, avoid or ignore employee issues, and the list goes on.

The biggest issue is a stead-fast aversion to change by most of the management with an attitude like a ostrich with a head in the stand.

Get with the times and learn to become a real software development company. Embrace industry best practices, avoid outsourced software, let employees to do the thing they're best at doing (e.g. developers coding, testers testing, help desk helping).

Excellent Opportunity, Good Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Zonar is ever growing and that hyper growth leads to several opportunities to advance. The environment is fast paced and energetic and there is never a dull moment. If you are willing to take or make your opportunity, Zonar is willing to give you a shot.

Cons

Compensation could be better but the experience is invaluable. Products released and sold way before they are ready which causes major headaches and leads to poor quality of life.

Like with all companies there are improvements that could be made. COLA increases are good for everyone as inflation occurs, but there should be raises outside of 3-5% window as well as promotions and salary increases throughout the year as warranted, not just once a year.

Great people, constantly learning!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has been around since 2001 but still has a start up feel, which is a big pro to me. The dynamic environment really allows you to see the fruit of your labors. There is always work to do, which provides everyone (regardless of position, department, etc.) with numerous opportunities to advance upward or laterally. No standing around watching the clock here.

The people here are great! Fun, smart, motivated, and genuinely want to make a difference with the work that they do. Good vibe to be around every day.

Cons

The fast paced environment isn't for everyone. If you are looking for a job where you clock in and complete the same monotonous tasks every day, Zonar is not the place for you. In any position at this company you need to be flexible, picking up the slack when you see it and remedying.

I believe everyone should always look to improve, and the same goes for the management of any company. Year over year I see seasoned managers perfecting their craft, always working to fine tune the Zonar machine.

Simply the best!

Former Employee - Management in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Helpdesk team solve everything! If they don't know, they follow up!

Cons

If you are used to people holding your hand and spoon feeding you info it's not for you.

Bridge the communication gap between all the departments.

Zonar Systems Response

Jul 2, 2014HR

Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at Zonar! We always welcome feedback and appreciate the information you have included regarding improving Zonar’s ... More

Fast paced, high energy, exciting place to work!

Current Employee - Training and Multimedia Specialist in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Training and Multimedia Specialist in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working at Zonar. I am able to work on a variety of projects that keeps me from ever having a dull moment. Being able to work on building practices, policies, procedures, and improving the output of our department has been very exciting. Working with each of the departments here at Zonar, I am able to help build consistency, improve the level of professionalism and overall face of Zonar, which is very rewarding to me!

Cons

Sometime's in such a fast paced growth, there can be more work than time in a day. There seems to never be enough time to get everything done in a timely manner, especially for others. Fortunately this is recognized and recruiting is moving forward to help fill the gaps.

I think you are doing a good job and really appreciate the recognition and varied activities that you do to show appreciation.

The sexual harassment is rampant!

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was cool at first...before I saw their true colors.

Cons

Women were treated like objects and demeaned constantly. I tried to tell supervisors about it and was treated like I was to blame. The management acts like rich playboys who spoke often of only working with the company long enough to sell it off to the highest bidder. You often hear them referring to themselves as "pirates". They designed the space from scratch and selfishly blocked all outside light with executive offices so the cubicles in the middle are dark and dreary. My supervisor waited til 11 pm the night before a project was due to approve artwork they had had for a week, which meant I was always rushed and stressed and paying a lot for overnight shipping to get stuff out.

Grow up.

Great people, cool product...... thats it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that work next to you are really great.
    Smart people with the drive to do awesome things.
    When you leave zonar, you are able to go do just about any job in your field, making 50%+ more than before because of the experience you gain working there.

Cons

work life balance is a joke. the leadership team tells the software team that they are lucky to have jobs, because the economy is terrible and they should be happy they have the PRIVILEGE of working at zonar.

The compensation is really a joke, I started out relatively new in the technology field, but when I left zonar I had a job in less than a week making 50% more. I had never bothered to look around while I was with zonar, because I actually believed that I was lucky to be employed.

Personal favorites, and vendettas abound within the management structure. low level managers are let go when they cant perform to the standards the higher management demands... even if those levels are completely unreasonable.

There is an unwritten rule that if you (as an employee) are only working 8 hours a day, you are not working hard enough, and they will find someone else who will do the work.