Zonar Systems

Zonar Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Excellent Opportunity, Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsZonar is ever growing and that hyper growth leads to several opportunities to advance. The environment is fast paced and energetic and there is never a dull moment. If you are willing to take or make your opportunity, Zonar is willing to give you a shot.

ConsCompensation could be better but the experience is invaluable. Products released and sold way before they are ready which causes major headaches and leads to poor quality of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike with all companies there are improvements that could be made. COLA increases are good for everyone as inflation occurs, but there should be raises outside of 3-5% window as well as promotions and salary increases throughout the year as warranted, not just once a year.

Simply the best!

Management (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe Helpdesk team solve everything! If they don't know, they follow up!

ConsIf you are used to people holding your hand and spoon feeding you info it's not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBridge the communication gap between all the departments.

Jul 2, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at Zonar! We always welcome feedback and appreciate the information you have included regarding improving Zonar’s ... More

Great people, constantly learning!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe company has been around since 2001 but still has a start up feel, which is a big pro to me. The dynamic environment really allows you to see the fruit of your labors. There is always work to do, which provides everyone (regardless of position, department, etc.) with numerous opportunities to advance upward or laterally. No standing around watching the clock here.

The people here are great! Fun, smart, motivated, and genuinely want to make a difference with the work that they do. Good vibe to be around every day.

ConsThe fast paced environment isn't for everyone. If you are looking for a job where you clock in and complete the same monotonous tasks every day, Zonar is not the place for you. In any position at this company you need to be flexible, picking up the slack when you see it and remedying.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe everyone should always look to improve, and the same goes for the management of any company. Year over year I see seasoned managers perfecting their craft, always working to fine tune the Zonar machine.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced, high energy, exciting place to work!

Training and Multimedia Specialist (Current Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsI have really enjoyed working at Zonar. I am able to work on a variety of projects that keeps me from ever having a dull moment. Being able to work on building practices, policies, procedures, and improving the output of our department has been very exciting. Working with each of the departments here at Zonar, I am able to help build consistency, improve the level of professionalism and overall face of Zonar, which is very rewarding to me!

ConsSometime's in such a fast paced growth, there can be more work than time in a day. There seems to never be enough time to get everything done in a timely manner, especially for others. Fortunately this is recognized and recruiting is moving forward to help fill the gaps.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you are doing a good job and really appreciate the recognition and varied activities that you do to show appreciation.

Challenging and Exciting Place to Work

(Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsZonar was founded on the concept of making transportation safer. Over the years the company has expanded to help many types of transportation customers improve compliance, increase efficiency and improve safety. The company is also growing very quickly. It is a very fun, exciting and challenging to work within this fast-paced environment and really feel like you are making an impact that positively affects the transportation of everything from goods and services, to school children.

On a day-to-day basis, there are many opportunities for growth and with established education programs, opportunities to learn. Zonar constantly encourages ongoing learning and even provides time during work for professional growth. I would describe the culture as positive, optimistic, challenging, open to ideas and change, and fun. The people are friendly and management cares about the individuals working there. While Zonar is growing, it maintains the family-type environment indicative of small companies.

ConsZonar is not for everyone. Those that are motivated, love new challenges, work hard (and play hard) and are comfortable with change will excel at Zonar. You will be rewarded with new opportunities for growth and advancement. If you are just looking for a paycheck, don't bother applying.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay approachable and passionate about the business and its people.

The sexual harassment is rampant!

Marketing (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt was cool at first...before I saw their true colors.

ConsWomen were treated like objects and demeaned constantly. I tried to tell supervisors about it and was treated like I was to blame. The management acts like rich playboys who spoke often of only working with the company long enough to sell it off to the highest bidder. You often hear them referring to themselves as "pirates". They designed the space from scratch and selfishly blocked all outside light with executive offices so the cubicles in the middle are dark and dreary. My supervisor waited til 11 pm the night before a project was due to approve artwork they had had for a week, which meant I was always rushed and stressed and paying a lot for overnight shipping to get stuff out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up.

Great people, cool product...... thats it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsThe people that work next to you are really great.
    Smart people with the drive to do awesome things.
    When you leave zonar, you are able to go do just about any job in your field, making 50%+ more than before because of the experience you gain working there.

Conswork life balance is a joke. the leadership team tells the software team that they are lucky to have jobs, because the economy is terrible and they should be happy they have the PRIVILEGE of working at zonar.

The compensation is really a joke, I started out relatively new in the technology field, but when I left zonar I had a job in less than a week making 50% more. I had never bothered to look around while I was with zonar, because I actually believed that I was lucky to be employed.

Personal favorites, and vendettas abound within the management structure. low level managers are let go when they cant perform to the standards the higher management demands... even if those levels are completely unreasonable.

There is an unwritten rule that if you (as an employee) are only working 8 hours a day, you are not working hard enough, and they will find someone else who will do the work.

Stressful workplace, poor management, company direction is akin to a pack of rabid ferrets

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsGreat place to start out as a developer
    Amazing colleagues

ConsPoor management
    Poor wages, compensation is in the bottom 25% for software developers
    Poor benefits
    Insane work-life balance, there is an expectation that employees work typical 9-5 office hours and also put in an additional 2-5 hours at home in the evenings.
    Promotions seem to be based highly on favoritism, merit coming in as possibly the last consideration

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a company that is continually expanding its customer base and increasing profits, I think it would be a no-brainer to increase your compensation for employees. Rather then boosting health care costs for families, maybe pitch in the difference.
    Hiring managers with experience in their given fields would be a great way to improve the company.
    Retaining employees is far more effective then trying to bring a new employee up to speed.

Good people, erratic management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice people work there, not a lot of stress - just say you are busy

Consquick to fire, do not work with employees, management is in it for themselves, watch the gossip mill

Apr 25, 2014

All new Zonar employees are hired under a 90 employment review period. We reserve the right terminate employment to under justified circumstances.

Bad work-life balance, high pressure to over-perform, and awful politics.

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Kent, WA

ProsUsed lots of technologies and was responsible for production services throughout the SDLC from development > testing > prod.

ConsWas paid at least 30% below industry standard as an SDE. Was promoted but never saw more than a 2% increase. Was on-call 24/7 for any/all issues with no backup on services in production.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should hire some managers that know how to develop enterprise software instead of trying your best to keep the good-old-boys around just because they stuck with you in the tough times. When I get a manager telling the team that they simply need to "get sh*t done" without understanding the "how" to get that sh*t done, at all, that's a problem.

Mar 14, 2014

Our starting salaries across each department are competitive with market standards in the greater Seattle and Cincinnati areas. Yearly wage increases for Zonar employees are a reflection of ... More

Worked for Zonar Systems? Contribute to the Community!