Zondervan
www.zondervan.com Grand Rapids, MI 150 to 499 Employees

Zondervan Reviews

Not yet rated.

Mark Schoenwald

It was a good experience, learned lots.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe people are great. They told me in the interview the employees were very committed to the mission of the company and I didn't realize just how much until I attended my first sales conference.

ConsThere was a lot of turn over. We had a difficult time supporting new and smaller authors/titles. Also, being owned by HarperCollins had it's challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither take completely over or go hands off.

Internship at Zondervan

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsOne of the leading International Christian publishers in the world.
    The workers there are genuinely friendly--they always say "hi" when passing you in the hallway, even when you have no idea who they are. Because it's a Christian company, there are people with the same core values; they have a common ground.
    My supervisors did a great job trying to help me make the most out of my internship experience.

ConsThe office space is a little gray and dark,. The office atmosphere is more quiet and grave, so don't necessarily come in thinking it's a fast, paced, frantic workplace. It's more organized and focused on work. Also, the book industry is suffering in general, so keep that in mind.

Once a great place with mission, now sadly in decline.

Word of Mouth Marketing Strategist (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsIt's a great team of coworkers with very little backbiting, political infighting, and gossip. The people who work here genuinely (usually) want to make a contribution to the greater mission of the company, and they love their work. (You don't generally go into publishing to get wealthy!)

ConsSince the parent company (HarperCollins) acquired Thomas Nelson, the Thomas Nelson leadership has now been placed over Zondervan and the new combined organization has a very vague sense of mission and purpose. Further: Many Zondervan employees have been laid-off and most coworkers feel a sense of impending doom for the company and their own careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a COO to run Zondervan locally. The occasional departmental meetings ("Town Halls") with the current CEO, Mark Schoenwald, isn't cutting it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vice President of Finance interfacing with Corporate and the Shared Services Center. Generally a well managed company.

Vice President of Finance (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsHarperCollins is the parent company which provides competitive direction towards the digitization of book publishing, information technology, distribution, and other general business practices. Zondervan was able to operate in a quasi-independent manner with the assistance of corporate knowledge in New York.

ConsDecisions were not always made by the Zondervan management but we passed down from the parent company in New York. Additionally, long-term strategic planning and direction were often predetermined due to the talent and staffing levels of HarperCollins NY therefore the senior management team was not in complete control of their destiny.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the working relationship with HarperCollins by having more of it's own forward thinking stategic opportunities rather than waiting for direction and instructions from Corporate in NY>

My experience at Zondervan was outstanding.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe people were wonderful to each other. The jobs were challenging yet very satisfying and fun to do. The work atmosphere is fun yet the tasks are completed on time.

ConsHourly employees tend to watch their time on breaks and lunch hours more than the salaried employees do. Upper management can be a problem for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management needs to be more transparent with everyone.

Worked for Zondervan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zondervan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zondervan CEO Mark Schoenwald . All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Zondervan employees.