Zondervan Reviews

Reset
3.3
Mark Schoenwald
1 Rating

1. Used to be the best place to work. Merger has left many scars.

Former Employee - Sales Department ( Senior Level, Non-selling Role) in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to openly embrace your faith in a work setting. Great work ethic, support of mission. Benefits (although shrinking over time) are still better than most companies, especially in regard to work/family balance (paid time allocation is generous and appreciated).

Cons

Merger with Tomas Nelson smashed an apple with an orange -- sour taste in the mouths of many at Zondervan (where no power remains-just ask anyone). New open concept office is a disaster -- no privacy -- hard to concentrate, feels like a call center. Involvement from parent company feels excessively burdensome -- the culture is suffering (culture is a very fragile thing). Hard to get staff the pay levels the market is paying.

Advice to Management

Stop being blind to the obvious bias to grow/support Nashville location at the expense of Grand Rapids. Some employees remain very under-paid (mostly long term employees). Trust more.

2. Staff overworked, management not much help

Former Freelancer - Editor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Freelancer - Editor in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, good values, sincere religious beliefs among staff

Cons

Everyone is too busy trying to do 3 jobs since they downsized.

Advice to Management

Rehire or bring in more part-time workers.

It was a good experience, learned lots.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. They told me in the interview the employees were very committed to the mission of the company and I didn't realize just how much until I attended my first sales conference.

Cons

There was a lot of turn over. We had a difficult time supporting new and smaller authors/titles. Also, being owned by HarperCollins had it's challenges.

Advice to Management

Either take completely over or go hands off.

5. Internship at Zondervan

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the leading International Christian publishers in the world.
    The workers there are genuinely friendly--they always say "hi" when passing you in the hallway, even when you have no idea who they are. Because it's a Christian company, there are people with the same core values; they have a common ground.
    My supervisors did a great job trying to help me make the most out of my internship experience.

Cons

The office space is a little gray and dark,. The office atmosphere is more quiet and grave, so don't necessarily come in thinking it's a fast, paced, frantic workplace. It's more organized and focused on work. Also, the book industry is suffering in general, so keep that in mind.

6. Once a great place with mission, now sadly in decline.

Former Employee - Word of Mouth Marketing Strategist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Word of Mouth Marketing Strategist in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great team of coworkers with very little backbiting, political infighting, and gossip. The people who work here genuinely (usually) want to make a contribution to the greater mission of the company, and they love their work. (You don't generally go into publishing to get wealthy!)

Cons

Since the parent company (HarperCollins) acquired Thomas Nelson, the Thomas Nelson leadership has now been placed over Zondervan and the new combined organization has a very vague sense of mission and purpose. Further: Many Zondervan employees have been laid-off and most coworkers feel a sense of impending doom for the company and their own careers.

Advice to Management

You need a COO to run Zondervan locally. The occasional departmental meetings ("Town Halls") with the current CEO, Mark Schoenwald, isn't cutting it.

7. Vice President of Finance interfacing with Corporate and the Shared Services Center. Generally a well managed company.

Former Employee - Vice President of Finance in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Vice President of Finance in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HarperCollins is the parent company which provides competitive direction towards the digitization of book publishing, information technology, distribution, and other general business practices. Zondervan was able to operate in a quasi-independent manner with the assistance of corporate knowledge in New York.

Cons

Decisions were not always made by the Zondervan management but we passed down from the parent company in New York. Additionally, long-term strategic planning and direction were often predetermined due to the talent and staffing levels of HarperCollins NY therefore the senior management team was not in complete control of their destiny.

Advice to Management

Improve the working relationship with HarperCollins by having more of it's own forward thinking stategic opportunities rather than waiting for direction and instructions from Corporate in NY>

8. My experience at Zondervan was outstanding.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were wonderful to each other. The jobs were challenging yet very satisfying and fun to do. The work atmosphere is fun yet the tasks are completed on time.

Cons

Hourly employees tend to watch their time on breaks and lunch hours more than the salaried employees do. Upper management can be a problem for some.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to be more transparent with everyone.

RSS Feed </> Embed