Zondervan Reviews

3.6

Mark Schoenwald

It was a good experience, learned lots.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great. They told me in the interview the employees were very committed to the mission of the company and I didn't realize just how much until I attended my first sales conference.

Cons

There was a lot of turn over. We had a difficult time supporting new and smaller authors/titles. Also, being owned by HarperCollins had it's challenges.

Either take completely over or go hands off.

Internship at Zondervan

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan as an intern for less than a year

Pros

One of the leading International Christian publishers in the world.
    The workers there are genuinely friendly--they always say "hi" when passing you in the hallway, even when you have no idea who they are. Because it's a Christian company, there are people with the same core values; they have a common ground.
    My supervisors did a great job trying to help me make the most out of my internship experience.

Cons

The office space is a little gray and dark,. The office atmosphere is more quiet and grave, so don't necessarily come in thinking it's a fast, paced, frantic workplace. It's more organized and focused on work. Also, the book industry is suffering in general, so keep that in mind.

Once a great place with mission, now sadly in decline.

Former Employee - Word of Mouth Marketing Strategist  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Word of Mouth Marketing Strategist in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a great team of coworkers with very little backbiting, political infighting, and gossip. The people who work here genuinely (usually) want to make a contribution to the greater mission of the company, and they love their work. (You don't generally go into publishing to get wealthy!)

Cons

Since the parent company (HarperCollins) acquired Thomas Nelson, the Thomas Nelson leadership has now been placed over Zondervan and the new combined organization has a very vague sense of mission and purpose. Further: Many Zondervan employees have been laid-off and most coworkers feel a sense of impending doom for the company and their own careers.

You need a COO to run Zondervan locally. The occasional departmental meetings ("Town Halls") with the current CEO, Mark Schoenwald, isn't cutting it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vice President of Finance interfacing with Corporate and the Shared Services Center. Generally a well managed company.

Former Employee - Vice President of Finance  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Vice President of Finance in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HarperCollins is the parent company which provides competitive direction towards the digitization of book publishing, information technology, distribution, and other general business practices. Zondervan was able to operate in a quasi-independent manner with the assistance of corporate knowledge in New York.

Cons

Decisions were not always made by the Zondervan management but we passed down from the parent company in New York. Additionally, long-term strategic planning and direction were often predetermined due to the talent and staffing levels of HarperCollins NY therefore the senior management team was not in complete control of their destiny.

Improve the working relationship with HarperCollins by having more of it's own forward thinking stategic opportunities rather than waiting for direction and instructions from Corporate in NY>

My experience at Zondervan was outstanding.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Zondervan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were wonderful to each other. The jobs were challenging yet very satisfying and fun to do. The work atmosphere is fun yet the tasks are completed on time.

Cons

Hourly employees tend to watch their time on breaks and lunch hours more than the salaried employees do. Upper management can be a problem for some.

Upper Management needs to be more transparent with everyone.

Worked for Zondervan? Contribute to the Community!