Zones

www.zones.com

Zones Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated May 11, 2014

Murray Wright

Pros
  • potential to earn good money, good hours, lots of perks and free food(in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great and not having to commute into Seattle is wonderful(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management treats most employees like a commodity that can be thrown away at any time(in 6 reviews)

• This company is flat out set up to make sure the upper management gets filthy rich and you dont(in 6 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Zones rocks!

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFast-paced environment with lots of room for financial growth. Lots of training and, for the go-getters, lots of opportunity to make money.

ConsContrary to popular belief, we don't get free breakfast and lunch everyday. Also, people around you will make a lot of money and still complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSilence the complainers.

Lots of change, some growth, quite a bit of micromanagement

Account Executive (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsIncentives, product knowledge, interaction with manufacturer partner

Consmicromanagement, not great benefits, lack of consistency in fulfillment of solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's much more to a sales job than (just) we expect you to sell, sell, sell.

Happy for the great experience I have earned but disappointed in management's ability to reward more good people

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsPositive, upbeat, and generally young or young at heart workforce. Good introduction to the realities of corporate sales. 1 month of sales training before hitting the floor. Great introduction to the IT world even if you have zero previous IT knowledge. Unless completely unwilling to try new techniques, cold call, or sell anything all all, the management typically gives you time to ramp up and try new things. Free lunch for attending training's. Sales contest and manufacturer fair's. Management is doing a fairly good job of trying to change the culture and has an exciting new mission. Truly a 6-3, 7-4, or 8-5 work day for employees not in a management role (40 hours a week).

ConsNot making enough money for the amount of time and effort I have given to the company. Very saturated and competitive market. It is a constant uphill battle because Zones is not in the top 10 of global IT suppliers and doesn't carry the respect that more well establish suppliers have with customers and manufacturers. If you haven't been there more then 3-5 years it is tough to have large enough/profitable enough accounts to make the money you would like. Too many repetitive product trainings after a year or so of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more advice from the account executives. Companies that value constructive criticism and listen to there employees are able to grow and evolve. Continue to improve internal processes so that sales managers will have more time to work with account executives. Improve base salary. Don't treat account executives like 'kids', treat them as the lifeblood of your company and adults. Give sales managers more autonomy and freedom to 'tell it how it is' and stick up for there account executives. Don't be afraid to let tenured reps with negative attitudes and that are unwilling to change be a part of the team/continue to rule the office. This means following through on the culture and vision that you preach at sales kickoffs. Reward good people that have good morals and positive attitudes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLots of technical training and support. They keep you on the cutting edge. Good amount of opportunity.

ConsIf you catch a whale they will snatch it from you quickly and drop it on a undeserving enterprise reps lap sign sealed and delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your AE's do their thing and don't screw them over when they have a account that could make their carreer. Drop the good ole boy club mentality.

Zones has been good to me

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood company support, opportunities to make a lot of money. Fun, laid-back atmosphere.

ConsThe company has grown so quickly the internal technology cannot keep up. Business systems need improvement. Zones has high turnover; many people find they are not cut out for this job. Most of the reviews I see are from people who have struggled with the job. Personally I have made about $20K more in each of the 5 years since I started. I've had many other sales jobs and Zones supports their people better than most.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsExcellent training. There are great spiffs and competitions.

ConsThere are none really. I liked the structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent training. I really enjoyed the sales guest speakers and the ongoing training.

Outstanding entry level opportunities

ProsHighly trained management
    Excellent Training
    Great Benefits
    Fun environment
    Great performance incentives

Zones invests a lot of time and effort in their employees to insure they are well trained and informed in their field. As an Account Executive you are supported by some of the most highly trained experts in the tech industry. This gives you a huge leg up on the competition when it comes to getting clients the information they need to make informed decisions. Zones goes the extra mile when it comes to acknowledging their employees with tons of incentives, contests, prizes, and awards. All in all it's a great company to work for.

ConsThe training can be relatively intense for people with little or no past experience in high tech sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! The management team at Zones is highly effective and supportive of their teams. Follow your manager's advice and you will do well.

You've got to GRIND

SMB Account Executive (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsDecent liveable wage for first job out of college. Competitiveness and tenacity often rewarded. Great co-workers, always make the atmosphere as fun as possible. Continuous training.

ConsFast paced sales: it's boom or bust. Managers are often overwhelmed with large teams. Often times left on your own to figure things out. Also can be held in limbo in knowing job status and other internal job opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmaller teams, more transparency needed.

Not a place full of happy campers

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThey are always hiring. You don't have to take work home with you.

ConsManagement speaks down to staff. It is a hard job with very high expectations set on the employees. It's overtly all about the money at Zones.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like adults.

AREA MAN BELIEVES ZONES OK PLACE TO WORK

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThere are all sorts of ways to make money, if you pay close attention and keep a positive attitude.

ConsThe hours can be a challenge, since you have to be at work at 6 o'clock in the morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the strong communications. Thanks for the extra training--you can never know enough!

Worked for Zones? Contribute to the Community!