Zones

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.8

Murray Wright

Pros
  • potential to earn good money, good hours, lots of perks and free food (in 16 reviews)

• I have a support role and Zones has been great-great work life balance, flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They are always advertising for new account executives for a reason (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management was inconsistent and they didn't seem to care truly about their employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Nice job. Too little pay.

I worked at Zones full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people. Lot's of training.

Cons

Little pay. Not enough opportunity.

Pay more.

Watch out

Former Employee - Brand Champion in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Brand Champion in Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people but corporate environment

Cons

Cutthroat environment, once they squeeze every dollar they can out of you they send you packing.

Care about your employees more

Working here is not a decision I'd repeat.

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can be hired as a Sale Account Executive with zero experience straight out of college. They also do not drug test as a condition of employment which I imagine is a big selling point to some recent college graduates.

Cons

Over half of my colleagues from my training class made it past the first month on the sales floor. Many of them were fired before ever completing training for not meeting expectations. The company culture is weak yet destructive to the individual employee. There are attempts to make the company seem "fun" for young account executives, but these efforts seem very surface-level and do not work to the advantage of employees in reality. The attendance policy is strict, so much so that there is extreme pressure to work even if extremely ill. The management would rather allow colds and flus to run rampant around the office (Portland) than allow an ill person to stay home through recovery. I would not recommend working at Zones.

Review policies so that they protect employees from unnecessary exposure to unavoidable "plagues" of illness. Provide fairer compensation to employees. The commission is a joke and does not serve as an effective motivator.

A great education

I worked at Zones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great place to get a boots on the ground training in IT sales. I learned so much there about sales and IT from a sales standpoint. I have gotten calls from recruiters who have seen that I lasted as long as I did at Zones.

Cons

The sales quota is extremely hard to attain. Especially the longer one is with the company. This creates a constant sense of pressure. I have a hard time in other companies cultures because my speed is too fast from having worked in such an aggressive sales environment. I am still trying to gear down from this level of competition.

Poor Management and too political

I worked at Zones full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Could wear jeans on fridays and you learned a lot about technology

Cons

very close minded management team and a frat-mentality atmosphere.

Not all players are coaches, just because someone has hit there numbers does not make them management material. Making sure that new hires are paired with a manager based on their learning style, which comes from the personality test. & dont charge AEs for others mistakes...

Zones rocks!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zones full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment with lots of room for financial growth. Lots of training and, for the go-getters, lots of opportunity to make money.

Cons

Contrary to popular belief, we don't get free breakfast and lunch everyday. Also, people around you will make a lot of money and still complain.

Silence the complainers.

Lots of change, some growth, quite a bit of micromanagement

I worked at Zones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incentives, product knowledge, interaction with manufacturer partner

Cons

micromanagement, not great benefits, lack of consistency in fulfillment of solutions.

There's much more to a sales job than (just) we expect you to sell, sell, sell.

Happy for the great experience I have earned but disappointed in management's ability to reward more good people

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zones full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Positive, upbeat, and generally young or young at heart workforce. Good introduction to the realities of corporate sales. 1 month of sales training before hitting the floor. Great introduction to the IT world even if you have zero previous IT knowledge. Unless completely unwilling to try new techniques, cold call, or sell anything all all, the management typically gives you time to ramp up and try new things. Free lunch for attending training's. Sales contest and manufacturer fair's. Management is doing a fairly good job of trying to change the culture and has an exciting new mission. Truly a 6-3, 7-4, or 8-5 work day for employees not in a management role (40 hours a week).

Cons

Not making enough money for the amount of time and effort I have given to the company. Very saturated and competitive market. It is a constant uphill battle because Zones is not in the top 10 of global IT suppliers and doesn't carry the respect that more well establish suppliers have with customers and manufacturers. If you haven't been there more then 3-5 years it is tough to have large enough/profitable enough accounts to make the money you would like. Too many repetitive product trainings after a year or so of employment.

Take more advice from the account executives. Companies that value constructive criticism and listen to there employees are able to grow and evolve. Continue to improve internal processes so that sales managers will have more time to work with account executives. Improve base salary. Don't treat account executives like 'kids', treat them as the lifeblood of your company and adults. Give sales managers more autonomy and freedom to 'tell it how it is' and stick up for there account executives. Don't be afraid to let tenured reps with negative attitudes and that are unwilling to change be a part of the team/continue to rule the office. This means following through on the culture and vision that you preach at sales kickoffs. Reward good people that have good morals and positive attitudes.

Account Executive

I worked at Zones full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of technical training and support. They keep you on the cutting edge. Good amount of opportunity.

Cons

If you catch a whale they will snatch it from you quickly and drop it on a undeserving enterprise reps lap sign sealed and delivered.

Let your AE's do their thing and don't screw them over when they have a account that could make their carreer. Drop the good ole boy club mentality.

Zones has been good to me

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zones full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company support, opportunities to make a lot of money. Fun, laid-back atmosphere.

Cons

The company has grown so quickly the internal technology cannot keep up. Business systems need improvement. Zones has high turnover; many people find they are not cut out for this job. Most of the reviews I see are from people who have struggled with the job. Personally I have made about $20K more in each of the 5 years since I started. I've had many other sales jobs and Zones supports their people better than most.