Zones Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Murray Wright

Pros
  • Often times there was free food and drinks (in 16 reviews)

• I have a support role and Zones has been great-great work life balance, flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Marketing and leads generated were time consuming and account executives were/ are taking valuable time to qualify leads to validate them (in 8 reviews)

• When upper management decided to eliminate my position was the worst thing that happened (in 7 reviews)

1. Growing

I have been working at Zones

Pros

Lots of growth at the Chicago location, they hire during the summer months only. Young, Talented team, lots of free breakfast and lunches, lots of activities in the summer months after work.

Cons

gotta hustle, don't allow remote access, no option to ever work from home

Advice to Management

allow high performers a day or 2 a month to have the option to work from home. stay on top of the negative attitude employees.

2. Working as an Account Executive

I worked at Zones

Pros

You will learn how hard some work can be but with patience and diligence it will pay off. This is a great place to be introduced to the world of IT. Great training, great people, great community.

Cons

If you do not succeed at first you can be passed up. You can still make up for lost time by being good to your clients but the boss will "snowball" success even if it is a lucky "one time" sale.

Advice to Management

Look at long term work ethic rather than quick sales for better team moral and for long term repeat customers who feel valued.

3. Good foundation for out of College

I have been working at Zones

Pros

Easy going environment, A ton of learning opportunities

Cons

Low pay with bad commission structure

5. Opportunity for sales

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zones (More than a year)

Pros

Cold calling experience Partner relationship management experience Account Acquisition and Account Management Experience if you can acquire business Negotiations Experience Happy hours and free swag, catered lunches

Cons

Uniform management style Low commission% Limited upward mobility

6. Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time

Pros

Great Stepping Stone for next job

Cons

Not a place to have a happy or fulfilling career.

7. Good

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of vendors take you out and buy you food and there are lots of chances to win prizes and gifts

Cons

It is a very repetitive job. It takes lots of time and effort to make sure you are completing your projects. Also not all the resources are readily available

Don't let the name fool you.

Current Employee - Slave to the PMO
    Current Employee - Slave to the PMO

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid twice a month and they reimburse you for certifications (as long as you stay with them for 6 months).

Cons

Where to start? If you look at the turnover rate of Zones to include the executives, that should be your first clue. Lack of executive support as well. Absolutely NO room for advancement . No clear career advancement. Pay is well below market value. Benefits are a joke. Every year they discuss change but I haven't seen anything change except the additional unpaid overtime.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for what they do and/or fail to do. Pay them at least the market rate and offer incentives to stay long term.

9. Zones AE

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

your co-workers turn into your best friends

Cons

poor inter-department communication, low base, low commission payout (probably the like every other sales role out there)

Zones Response

Jul 21, 2015 – Director of Communications

Thank you for your hard work and commitment! It’s an exciting time at Zones and you have no doubt helped drive our growth over your years of tenure here. We listened to account executive feedback ... More

Identity crisis

I have been working at Zones (More than 10 years)

Pros

Zones is a place to make great networking connections, and a lot of the people who work there are incredible. The organization is also focused to drive to a singular target.

Cons

Zones doesnt know who they are. They have a VP of HR who knows what corporate culture is about, and how to start from the foundation up. Unfortunately that isnt the case throughout Zones. Corporate culture and the thought of taking care of people first is nonexistent in the day to day of my department. We are an organization pushing for hyper-growth, but at what cost to the environment, culture, and the people making it happen? Firoz has too many times dictated that it is "his company" (which it is) rather than realizing that the more he and his executives value others both tangibly and intangibly, the business will drive itself from the inside out.... Zones is in need of a makeover; one that finds value in each employee. Until then, I'm afraid Zones will never reach its true potential.

I will attempt to be unbiased in my comments here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones

Pros

I just reviewed the 200~ reviews, which are mostly nebulous, and more than a few incredulous. …Anyone who says: “Worst Job I have ever had.”, has either had very few jobs [just out of high school], or has an axe to grind [couldn’t cut the mustard]. Zones is a billion dollar a year multinational corporation, and didn’t get that way by being inept. Far from perfect [please tell me a company that is], Zones has provided thousands of employees with a family wage, in a safe, interesting and moderately fun environment. Years ago when Zones was traded on NASDAQ, and the “revenue per employee” statistic was public, it was around a million dollars per employee, one of the highest in Washington state. Consequently Zones has amassed a substantial war chest, and won’t be going away any time soon…naysayers take note.

Cons

Like rich people, money isn’t everything. Recognition, accolades and reputation are huge. These are the calling cards that open up new markets and attract high profile customers, creating a snowball effect. As such Zones is doing a decent job in the enterprise sales, but this has come at the expense of some smaller “business” customers. (Zones stopped marketing “consumers” years ago.) One reason; convoluted procedures, which have become essential to being competitive, and take more time and more effort and are not necessarily efficient for low revenue customers. Suffice it to say that Zones is aware of this unintended consequence, and seems willing to make the sacrifice. …The bigger, the better. However, a new AE (account executive), navigating all these processes and procedures, and clouded by potential riches, finds it gets tiresome fast, and that contributes to a higher attrition rate. Another side effect is when prospecting new clients; The larger the company, the harder it is to get your foot in the door. They’re more likely already being serviced by a skilled reseller, have their established relationships, and have a more competent legion of gatekeepers. …Also, more sales people have fewer accounts, albeit larger accounts. All your eggs…dangerous. It takes guts of steel to handle all the rejections, but if you have what it takes, AND land a whale, cha-ching. As in any sales enterprise the 90/10 rule applies; the top 10% are doing exceptionally well! Good luck.

Advice to Management

Too many layers.

RSS Feed </> Embed