Zones
www.zones.com Auburn, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Zones Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Murray Wright

Pros:
  • "Some great people, free food and prizes/contests"
    in 13 reviews
  • "decent work/life balance, once it's 5:00 most people are out the door"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management treats most employees like a commodity that can be thrown away at any time"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They are always advertising for new account executives for a reason"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lots of change, some growth, quite a bit of micromanagement

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIncentives, product knowledge, interaction with manufacturer partner

Consmicromanagement, not great benefits, lack of consistency in fulfillment of solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's much more to a sales job than (just) we expect you to sell, sell, sell.

Better be in for the long haul!

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time for more than a year

ProsLeads by the thousands, some cool perks. If you hang around for 3-5 years, you will get hand me down accounts from all the turnover and you could end up at six figures after 6-8 years just for sitting there and waiting. Most people quit, a few get fired for really performing poorly, and even fewer succeed at any substantial level, but the opportunity is there and is real.

ConsPoor pay, poor benefits, lack of concern for employees well-being, solely profit driven. The owner is all about the company valuation, and he should be, but I think there is a balance that could be achieved. Most employees are underpaid and hate their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees.

Pretty good

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zones full-time for more than 8 years

Prospeople, free food, 40 hour weeks, 6 figures, new CEO with new vision

Conslots of processes need to change to be more customer centric. Sales has to deal with a lot of incompetent support people, that make our jobs harder.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten more and act on what you are hearing

9 interesting years

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zones full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent initial training program. Decent overall benefits. Often times there was free food and drinks. Plenty of rewards and trips and accolades for top sales people. Work life balance was great. You could make 100k working a true 40 hour work week if you were a top sales person (although this was not the norm). Personally I think the 2.5 rating is just about right.

ConsHonestly there were so many that one cannot list them all. Honesty and trust with upper management was a huge problem. As a previous review noted the company was unequivocally stealing SPIFFs and margin from reps. Tracking the actual spiffs and margin you made every month was nearly impossible and cost reps thousands of dollars a year. Outside of sales most departments were understaffed and underpaid which resulted in very little ownership or care about problems. Base pay was decent but low compared to similar jobs at rival companies. The office being located in Auburn made for a cheap lease, but also meant Zones lost out on a lot of talent in Seattle. The company was frugal to a fault... We lost an enormous mount of talented people due to zones being to cheap to even give the slightest of raises. Within my sales division there has been an exodus of long time tenured reps who were fed up with things. In terms of company values there wasn't much of a culture or atmosphere to speak of. For being a tech reseller our internal It department was mediocre at best. The company went through one of the worst CRM conversions known to many and cost the company numerous employee's and accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo me the biggest thing that needs fixing is honesty and transparency from upper management to the sales force. The new CEO faces a huge task and I hope he is up for it as there are still a lot of hardworking and talented people at Zones.

A job from where I knew nothing about the products when I started to selling over a million dollars a month in 2 years.

Enterprise Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Richardson, TX

I worked at Zones full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people were the best reason and the new things that I learned.

ConsWhen upper management decided to eliminate my position was the worst thing that happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to re-organize please talk to the employees first to see what else they have to offer.

Good enough for some

Merchandising (Former Employee)

I worked at Zones full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly stable place to work barely any layoffs during the recession. Pay can be good if you reach goals, but goals are often unattainable.

ConsBenefits are just adequate. Auburn is a poor location if you want to attract top talent. HR doesn't seem in touch with what is actually going on throughout the company. New employees are often surprised that the company isn't what HR promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees a little better, it really wouldn't take that much. I'm sure the retention you would achieve would pay off.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zones full-time for more than a year

ProsWillis Tower office is plus. Great people.

ConsRejection on the phone is annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your heads up.

Salary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zones full-time

ProsCoworkers, Location , Ongoing Training, Sales Experience

ConsPoor Health and Dental Benefits,

Fair to contract workers, inclusive and supportive

Copywriter (Former Employee)
Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThey treat contracted/temp workers no different than permanent employees.

ConsVery large, lots of specialization, work can sometimes be boring.

Account Executive - 12 plus years

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zones full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOngoing training, people and free food!

ConsGood old boys club - if you're the hot, young chick you get transitioned buying accounts. If you're not, then you have to try every crap lead assigned. The good news is that most of the hot, young chicks don't last long. The bigger issue remains - management still believes in the personal mentoring in hopes the hot, young chicks begin and learn new things.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to come into the 21st century and treat people with dignity, respect and equality.

Worked for Zones? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zones reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zones CEO Murray Wright. All 122 reviews posted anonymously by Zones employees.