Zones Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Murray Wright

Pros
  • Often times there was free food and drinks (in 16 reviews)

• I have a support role and Zones has been great-great work life balance, flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Marketing and leads generated were time consuming and account executives were/ are taking valuable time to qualify leads to validate them (in 8 reviews)

• When upper management decided to eliminate my position was the worst thing that happened (in 7 reviews)

1. I will attempt to be unbiased in my comments here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones

Pros

I just reviewed the 200~ reviews, which are mostly nebulous, and more than a few incredulous.
    …Anyone who says: “Worst Job I have ever had.”, has either had very few jobs [just out of high school], or has an axe to grind [couldn’t cut the mustard].

Zones is a billion dollar a year multinational corporation, and didn’t get that way by being inept.
    Far from perfect [please tell me a company that is], Zones has provided thousands of employees with a family wage, in a safe, interesting and moderately fun environment.

Years ago when Zones was traded on NASDAQ, and the “revenue per employee” statistic was public, it was around a million dollars per employee, one of the highest in Washington state.
    Consequently Zones has amassed a substantial war chest, and won’t be going away any time soon…naysayers take note.

Cons

Like rich people, money isn’t everything. Recognition, accolades and reputation are huge.
    These are the calling cards that open up new markets and attract high profile customers, creating a snowball effect.
    As such Zones is doing a decent job in the enterprise sales, but this has come at the expense of some smaller “business” customers. (Zones stopped marketing “consumers” years ago.)
    One reason; convoluted procedures, which have become essential to being competitive, and take more time and more effort and are not necessarily efficient for low revenue customers.
    Suffice it to say that Zones is aware of this unintended consequence, and seems willing to make the sacrifice. …The bigger, the better.

However, a new AE (account executive), navigating all these processes and procedures, and clouded by potential riches, finds it gets tiresome fast, and that contributes to a higher attrition rate.
    Another side effect is when prospecting new clients; The larger the company, the harder it is to get your foot in the door.
    They’re more likely already being serviced by a skilled reseller, have their established relationships, and have a more competent legion of gatekeepers.

…Also, more sales people have fewer accounts, albeit larger accounts. All your eggs…dangerous.

It takes guts of steel to handle all the rejections, but if you have what it takes, AND land a whale, cha-ching.
    As in any sales enterprise the 90/10 rule applies; the top 10% are doing exceptionally well!

Good luck.

Advice to Management

Too many layers.

2. High Growth and Great Challenges

Current Employee - Corporate/Operations - Associate Level in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate/Operations - Associate Level in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to influence and drive change

Cons

It's a dynamic, high change environment which is really fun but not for everybody.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to what team members have to say - we have great ideas!

3. Growing

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is growing and moving in the right direction.

Fun to learn all the things that Zones can do for customers.

Nice view at the Willis Tower.

Cons

Not a whole lot of people motivated to do well, which can make the office a toxic environment.

Very disorganized at the Chicago office. Sometimes it can feel disjointed from the rest of the company.

Zero room for growth unless you're willing to move to Seattle (Auburn, WA) to work.

Advice to Management

I'm not even sure how you would fix the office... maybe start from scratch. The lack of support from day one has cause negative attitudes to trickle down to new hires as jaded tenure leave.

5. Unorganized

Former Employee - Manager in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many people who work there who are dedicated and are great resources if you can find them.

Cons

You can't find the dedicated and great resources, resulting in multiple departments working on the same problems. Promises are made by sales/services teams that can't be kept by operational/engineer support.

Advice to Management

Create a resource structure, trust mid-level management and stop VP level micro management of the day to day issues.

6. Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have a positive attitude, you could love this job after much hard work and time. You can make a lot of money if you create the right relationships in prospective clients.

Cons

The turn over rate is very high here and it is tough to make it past the first year. if you make it past the first year and work hard you can make alright money. However, Zones pays way below industry standard.

Advice to Management

If you want to encourage your employees you should believe in them and encourage them to travel to clients. If you are micromanaging you are killing the passion and joy that can come from this job.

7. Just another reseller that takes advantage of it workers

Current Employee - PPM in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - PPM in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location, free snacks. great co-workers.

Cons

Low pay, no promotional opportunities, questionable reorganization tactics, no career advancement. Individuals are minor-managed by legacy management with no growth potential. No training and skill set advancement.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews here. No more bandaids. Get serious about changing the culture.

Start investing in your sales force.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office location is excellent. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement. There's free high speed internet access and no supervision. Free lunches and free breakfast are provided frequently.

Cons

Culture is a major problem for the sales force. It's a "Clock puncher" culture with no results expected. There is no investment in employees. There are trainers who do no training, managers without teams to manage and sellers who don't sell anything.

Advice to Management

Sales should be your primary revenue source, not marketing. Stop scamming manufacturers into purchasing blitzes and trainings and start creating value for your clients. Create a culture of achievement by setting achievable sales goals and by holding people accountable to results.

They could be a sinkking ship

Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice working conditions and m-f work week

Cons

Expectations are not realistic for AE's. Very few make sales quotas. New policy is 100% cold calling.

Zones Response

Jun 26, 2015Director of Communications

Thank you for your contributions and commitment to Zones during your time here. We’re sorry to see you go, especially after such tenure. Thank you for your feedback regarding the expectations of our ... More

10. Support of AE's

Former Employee - Ex Employee
    Former Employee - Ex Employee

I worked at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and swag bags provided by vendors, challenging tasks, lots of opportunities to learn new skills, great team members who work towards achieving goals of department

Cons

Being treated like a 2nd class citizen because you are not an AE is all too common here. Although many of my team members worked tirelessly towards assisting AE's in their orders, we as a group were often disrespected verbally. Not to mention, the "perks" such as food and swag were offered to us only on a conditional basis- as in leftovers. CEO and upper management make it known that Sales reps are their only priority.

Advice to Management

Hold AE's accountable on the way they treat the rest of the staff. We are here to help but not to be indentured servants. Surveys should be also conducted on Sales to support to weed out the abusive. Show that Zones is one team, one goal.

11. Great place to work....

Current Employee - Onsite Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Onsite Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers.
    It is expanding day and night.
    Great management.
    Tight-Competition.
    Higher Management understands and cares for their employees.
    Management acknowledges your potential.

Moved from NYC to join this company and has been employed with Zones for more than 2 years now. I can tell you that I made a good decision. This company has changed my life.

Cons

You never get feedback when you refer somebody. You keep emailing on the status and no response.

Advice to Management

N/A

RSS Feed </> Embed