Zones Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.7

Murray Wright

Pros
  • potential to earn good money, good hours, lots of perks and free food (in 16 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great and not having to commute into Seattle is wonderful (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They are always advertising for new account executives for a reason (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management was inconsistent and they didn't seem to care truly about their employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting

Current Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Zones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work Culture, great co-workers and flexibility. Great company to work for or at least start your career.

Cons

Management Internal decisions and Compensation (Depends if you are an inside guy or outside).

I really don't think that there is any need for an advice to Zones Management. They all work great but sometimes it seems like that we need some type of glue between internal system and external system.

Nice people work there, but not in management

I have been working at Zones

Pros

some good managers that want you to succeed, others are just killing time

Cons

new leadership can't seem to make up it's mind on how to fix the business

zones needs actual sales managers to help mentor and grow AE's, the sales managers have far too much responsibility to be effective leaders

Lost it's luster

Current Employee - PPM in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - PPM in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

South sound commute location is great for people in Tacoma or Auburn

Cons

Too many changes to senior management. Employees are leaving in large numbers. Employees are not valued. Salaries are very low.

Pay a living wage, value your employees

Product Marketing Manager

I worked at Zones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

So many process changes, high gaps in salary between similar positions. No training at all in some departments.

Unfullfilling

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Luke Zeman , company culture , pretty laid back

Cons

Other management is a little shady. Also, the compensation is garbage, and the commission is always wrong! As far as resellers go, i do not think manufacturers really consider Zones a killer in the midwest. Also, the CRM program is literally the worst thing ever. If you are desperate for a job, this is a good option. But its falling apart in Chicago right now; i would like elsewhere.

Better support in the midwest.

Clearer outline of our commission and spiff reports

A place to get your start

I worked at Zones

Pros

Will hire people with no experience if they are cheap enough. Good location for employees who live in the south puget sound.

Cons

compensation is very low. benefits are expensive. And management has a philosophy that cheaper is better. They find ways to hold back earned commissions from sales staff. It isn't a place to call home for a long time.

Handing poor equipment to low cost employees is only a band-aid. Be honest and up front about policies. Sneaky is a good word to describe their transparency.

Working here is not a decision I'd repeat.

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can be hired as a Sale Account Executive with zero experience straight out of college. They also do not drug test as a condition of employment which I imagine is a big selling point to some recent college graduates.

Cons

Over half of my colleagues from my training class made it past the first month on the sales floor. Many of them were fired before ever completing training for not meeting expectations. The company culture is weak yet destructive to the individual employee. There are attempts to make the company seem "fun" for young account executives, but these efforts seem very surface-level and do not work to the advantage of employees in reality. The attendance policy is strict, so much so that there is extreme pressure to work even if extremely ill. The management would rather allow colds and flus to run rampant around the office (Portland) than allow an ill person to stay home through recovery. I would not recommend working at Zones.

Review policies so that they protect employees from unnecessary exposure to unavoidable "plagues" of illness. Provide fairer compensation to employees. The commission is a joke and does not serve as an effective motivator.

IT Network Specialist Technician

I have been working at Zones

Pros

The pay is good anywhere 25-35 p/h very log hours. 10 to 14 hours per day...so expect Over Time.

Cons

Company hire you for short period of contract......so must be flexible on there schedule. Work 3 o 4 weeks and then 2 o 3 weeks OFF

Coordinator must be better

Non-Professional Organization

Current Employee - Purchasing Operations in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Purchasing Operations in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO shaking up organization and stressing accountability, trying to move the company into the 21st Century. Removed some underperforming senior management that are not strongly tied to the owner.

CEO recently established a community involvement program where not existed previously.

Cons

If you are in sales, you rule the roost and many treat the support personnel poorly. Much of the support organization is underpaid and required to work long hours in support of sales. Several executive management individuals are legacy and cannot be removed by new CEO.

The company sells technology yet does not utilize it very well, as they put in new administrative system on the cheap which has caused more work for support and warehouse groups. Process changes are fought tooth and nail by sales, even though in the long run most will benefit them. Work from home policy virtually non-existent, which is a directive from the CIO/Exec. VP or Operations. Very strange in this day and age of mobile capabilities.

Need to hire more high caliber talent in executive positions. The IT area is poorly staffed and not a cohesive roadmap of where they are going. Many good people hired in the last 2 years, yet many have left after a short period to due issues described.

Simple easy job, low payouts.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work in the Chicago office and the culture here is very young and fitting to my liking. Job is easy and not stressful.

Cons

Job is very repetitive and becomes boring especially with the low salary.

Give out bonuses! If I win top salesman of the week, don't reward me with just a piece of paper, give me something monetary to give me more incentive to achieve those results again!