Zoological Society of San Diego

Be The First To
Add Photos

Berit N. Durler

Admissions

ProsGreat co-workers, good pay, nice working environment

ConsWhat is expected of hospitality - sometimes you get very few hours, sometimes you get long work hours - sometimes you are scheduled for hours and you end up being sent home early or you end up having to work hours past your scheduled hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

It was an excellent summer job!

Buildings and Grounds Intern (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Prosfriendly people, fun summer job, great bosses, laid back work environment, possibilities to advance

ConsIt is a very repetitive job at the base/summer job level, boring at points

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job!

Good for part time work

Merchandising Salesclerk (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsBusier during summer time which is great for students who are out of school. Also you have the opportunity to meet people from around the world because of all the visitors. The zoo is a beautiful place to work.

ConsPay is not the best, if you need full time hours it might be difficult. There are many young people working part time positions so it sometime seemed a little like high school.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better compensation for employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe San Diego Zoo has been around for over 100 years and is a leader in the industry. As a result it is not going through the "growing pains" some less established organizations go through. There are a ton of perks for working at the Zoo; it's fun, you have free admission and receive extra tickets each year, discounts on tours, Sea World tickets, amazing benefits, and the prestige of working for the Zoo. The job is lower stress than many other positions I have had and work/life balance is highly valued.

ConsAs a non-profit organization, the pay is not good. However, since it is such a great place to work with terrific benefits, they have a very high employee retention rate. As a result, though, there are very few opportunities to move up within the organization. If you are looking for a progressive career, this might only be a stepping stone.

Good for college students

Food Service Clerk (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe main thing I liked about working at the Zoo was the atmosphere and coworkers. It's a great place to work for a college student but really the pay or hours aren't too good for most people.

ConsHours aren't set. You know what time to need to come in but don't know when you're going home, sometimes literally until the moment you get sent home.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a little bit more respect for your employees time, both monetarily and in regards to scheduling.

Summer Employment

Ticket Seller (Current Employee)
    Escondido, CA

ProsI worked at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. This has by far, been the best employer I have ever worked for. But it has also been the only non-retail. I had such a great experience. Everyone was respected and listened to as employees. Everyone was very happy. This place is very well run.

ConsThe only con I can think of, is also the only reason I wasn't kept on as a permanent employee after the season. It's extremely easy to be written up. Mistakes, such as timeclock errors, can not just be corrected, they're documented. It's very easy for these write ups to stack up and be your downfall unless you're extremely focused all of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be a little more lenient on the write ups.

An above-average food service job.

Food Service Lead (Former Employee)
    Escondido, CA

ProsLots of variety in work days.
    Six-month pay raises.
    Plenty of chances to advance (as much as you can in food service).
    Catering is lots of fun!
    It's a huge department, so you meet a lot of different people.
    Annual employee parties are always a fun time.
    LOTS of fun free stuff - zoo passes, Sea World passes, discounts, little contests and prizes going on all the time.

ConsHaving lots of different managers and leads who don't always communicate effectively sometimes makes things difficult.
    They don't always promote the smartest people.
    I have no idea what's going on with this new "Safari Park" - a terrible decision independent of the food service department, but I think it's really hurting attendance which hurts hiring, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementI miss them!

Rewarding

Tour Guide (Former Employee)

Prospurposeful job
    fun atmosphere
    good people
    ability to grow

Conspoor trickle-down communication
    little connection between directors and entry level employees
    physically strenuous

Overall, Very Pleasant

Tour Guide (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThere's a lot to love about the San Diego Zoo and their sister company, The Wild Animal Park. First, their mission statement is noble and their efforts for conservation and education are truly commendable. Secondly, for the most part, the employees are all very pleasant - it's easy to be surrounded with positive, upbeat people. Third, you get a daily dosage of fresh air and sunshine.

ConsOf course, like any business, management can be a bit of a headache. At times, you'll get contradicting orders from different superiors. Also, since it is filled with animal lovers - you're bound to work with a few wackos that'll drive you nuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, although it would be nice to see more of the management "in sync" with one another.

good enviroment to be working!!!

SALES CLERK (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Prosyou are at the world famous San Diego Zoo!!!! you get in for free and get free passes. the atomosphere is very calm, relax and very enjoyable. you get to meet people from all over the world, you get 20% discount on everything. the pay is ok

Consthe work schedule is not so good, not that many hours given for newbies. you have to wear a uniform, but the downside of that is that the pants look horrible and you have to be tucked in... you are not provided free lunch. Depending on where you live, it can be a hassel to get to work but you can manage... you have to be a part of a uninon, they tell you its mandatory to join and have to pay a 50 dlls fee but they dont tell you that you have to pay 22 dlls monthly!!!! all that money adds up, and when you dont get enough days its upsetting!

Advice to Senior Managementinsted of unisex pants, have women and men pants!!!! please give more hours to work and on days you are on-call, actually call people!!!!!!!!!!! because 2 days of the week to work is not fair and also make it a CHOICE to belong in a uninon!

Worked for Zoological Society of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zoological Society of San Diego reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zoological Society of San Diego CEO Berit N. Durler. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Zoological Society of San Diego employees.