Zoological Society of San Diego

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
4.0

Berit N. Durler

Loved helping the animals and the people I worked with were awesome.

Former Employee - Veterinarian
    Former Employee - Veterinarian

I worked at Zoological Society of San Diego full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great resources, great institution, many many great, dedicated people. Company trying to do many things to improve the world, great networking potential.

Cons

long hours, stressful/high pressure job with extremely high decision making responsibility and pay not commensurate with responsibilities, company trying to many many great things (maybe too many, and could think things through more thoroughly), could benefit from better, more thought out planning.

True Equal Employment Opportunity Company

Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Zoological Society of San Diego part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only company in San Diego that is truely Equal Employment Opportunity. Coworkers are awesome. Pay is okay, could be alot worse. Hours are pretty good averageing about 33 a week, almost 45 during peak season. Family members can get in for free. 50% off food items while working, and 25% off when not working, also applies to family members and friends, just show your id.

Cons

Dealing with customers, not enough breaks, supervisors askes to do to much, had to join a union that takes out a large portion of pay.

Years at the Zoo

I have been working at Zoological Society of San Diego part-time

Pros

They first try to promote within the company, before looking to outside in order to fill vacant positions.

Cons

Open 365 days a year, including holidays!

Great learning experience for young professionals

Former Employee - Education Department Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Education Department Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zoological Society of San Diego part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to work with a strong emphasis in environmental conservation and education. My supervisors were extremely supportive and helped me with future employment opportunities.

Cons

There was definitely some sort of mis-communication between my supervisors and program directors - we were often overwhelmed with work, and our hours were hardly ever consistent. I loved my job, however I didn't care for the bureaucracy.

There absolutely needs to be more communication between management and its employees. It's as if there is two different sectors of the education department: people who genuinely care about educations and people who only care about fundraising. Fundraising is obviously important in this industry, but management needs to give the people there to educate the ability and trust to do so.

Admissions

I have been working at Zoological Society of San Diego

Pros

Great co-workers, good pay, nice working environment

Cons

What is expected of hospitality - sometimes you get very few hours, sometimes you get long work hours - sometimes you are scheduled for hours and you end up being sent home early or you end up having to work hours past your scheduled hours.

None

It was an excellent summer job!

Former Employee - Buildings and Grounds Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Buildings and Grounds Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zoological Society of San Diego part-time (less than an year)

Pros

friendly people, fun summer job, great bosses, laid back work environment, possibilities to advance

Cons

It is a very repetitive job at the base/summer job level, boring at points

You are doing a great job!

Good for part time work

Former Employee - Merchandising Salesclerk in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Salesclerk in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zoological Society of San Diego part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Busier during summer time which is great for students who are out of school. Also you have the opportunity to meet people from around the world because of all the visitors. The zoo is a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Pay is not the best, if you need full time hours it might be difficult. There are many young people working part time positions so it sometime seemed a little like high school.

Provide better compensation for employees.

Great Place to Work

I worked at Zoological Society of San Diego full-time

Pros

The San Diego Zoo has been around for over 100 years and is a leader in the industry. As a result it is not going through the "growing pains" some less established organizations go through. There are a ton of perks for working at the Zoo; it's fun, you have free admission and receive extra tickets each year, discounts on tours, Sea World tickets, amazing benefits, and the prestige of working for the Zoo. The job is lower stress than many other positions I have had and work/life balance is highly valued.

Cons

As a non-profit organization, the pay is not good. However, since it is such a great place to work with terrific benefits, they have a very high employee retention rate. As a result, though, there are very few opportunities to move up within the organization. If you are looking for a progressive career, this might only be a stepping stone.

Good for college students

Former Employee - Food Service Clerk in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Food Service Clerk in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zoological Society of San Diego part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The main thing I liked about working at the Zoo was the atmosphere and coworkers. It's a great place to work for a college student but really the pay or hours aren't too good for most people.

Cons

Hours aren't set. You know what time to need to come in but don't know when you're going home, sometimes literally until the moment you get sent home.

Have a little bit more respect for your employees time, both monetarily and in regards to scheduling.

Summer Employment

Current Employee - Ticket Seller in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Ticket Seller in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Zoological Society of San Diego part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. This has by far, been the best employer I have ever worked for. But it has also been the only non-retail. I had such a great experience. Everyone was respected and listened to as employees. Everyone was very happy. This place is very well run.

Cons

The only con I can think of, is also the only reason I wasn't kept on as a permanent employee after the season. It's extremely easy to be written up. Mistakes, such as timeclock errors, can not just be corrected, they're documented. It's very easy for these write ups to stack up and be your downfall unless you're extremely focused all of the time.

Please be a little more lenient on the write ups.

Zoological Society of San Diego Photos