Zoosk

Zoosk Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Shayan Zadeh

Top-tier engineering team

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Zoosk full-time

ProsGreat place to do your best work. Company has a real interest in engineering correct solutions, but also balances getting the job done. Great work-life balance.

ConsDecision-makiing is concentrated at the very top. Not a place where you can slack off, this company let's go of people quickly who can't cut it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your best people to make the best decisions.

Challenging and Rewarding

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've worked at Zoosk 4+ years as a product manager and continue to learn something new on the job every day. The product and engineering teams are outstanding and tackle hard problems with zeal.

We fail fast and learn from our mistakes. We capitalize on our successes very quickly! Zoosk is a very positive, risk taking environment!

The company is committed to delivering a high-quality service to its members, making a sound business from it, and developing its employees into rock-stars.

ConsThere are just so many interesting projects happening all the time that it's sometimes difficult to keep up with it all.

Sometimes there's alot of work to do... but the good thing is that no work is ever wasted here!

Exceeded all my expectations so far

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for less than a year

Pros- Terrific work culture: result driven with virtually no office politics.
- Fun place to work: most people are really laid back and work well together.
- Smart people, the talent bar is high.
- Flexible Time Off plan with "unlimited" time off (expect no problem getting at least 4 weeks/year, more is common but might be a stretch in some cases or on some teams).
- Strong growth trajectory: company is growing fast and opportunities for individual growth also abound.

ConsGrowth has its discontents: Zoosk still operates mostly like a start-up, but it's reached almost 200 employees and is inevitably becoming more structured: there is nothing wrong with that but if you're looking for a start-up culture this might not be the best fit in the medium to long term.

Product Manager

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for more than a year

ProsVery young and casual. No bureaucracy. Get things done is what they want

ConsIts all work work work and no play

Advice to Senior ManagementStrike a balance. Stop providing catered food at 7:30PM and force employees to stay for food but in reality stay to do work

Zoosk is an excellent environment to work, learn, and grow.

I have been working at Zoosk

ProsExcellent coworkers across the board. Very laid back working environment under great leadership.

ConsI really have no complaints.

Couldn't be happier...

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for less than a year

ProsThe culture, the leaders here really take that into consideration, and it shows because everyone is happy here, and you can see it. Everyone is great to work with and very knowledgable in their fields. It's pretty engineering heavy (like most tech companies) but the difference is that everyone is striving to make an impact in the company by producing the best work they can and not just coming in every day because they need to push code/pixels.

ConsI haven't seen or heard any yet. I'm kinda new but no company is perfect but how can you complain if you like everyone on your team, your boss rules, the office is beautiful and you get dinner every night...I don't see any Cons so far.

Glad I joined!

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for less than a year

ProsPlenty of autonomy in doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Very flat organization w/ a start up feel, despite being sizable. Great quality team and am challenged. This is so far the best company that I've worked within.

ConsNothing significant: temperature in the office can be improved and sometimes there are yogurt shortages.

Best job I've ever had.

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for less than a year

ProsI've worked in the tech PR world for many years now, and this job at Zoosk has to be hands-down the best job I've ever had. If you get a job here, you will meet a ton of smart, ambitious, dedicated employees; you'll have great perks, including a swanky gym membership; you'll learn a lot about the fast-growing online dating world; and you'll absolutely enjoy coming in to work every day.

ConsI haven't had any complaints working at Zoosk as of yet. Regarding the complaints laid out in other reviews, clearly everyone has their own experience working here, but those complaints seemed fairly dramatic and incorrect.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! Happy employees -> better work -> better results!

Happy One Year Anniversary

User Interface Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for more than a year

ProsZoosk has invested in me and rewarded me within just one year. I am awed by the leadership management exhibits—addressing problems seriously and respectfully. I feel very lucky to be working with such intelligent, creative people. I love my team and I love coming to work everyday—sometimes with my dog.

ConsThe area is a bit sketchy, even though I can see many signs of improvement to come. The elevators in this building are terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope this encouraging and communicative environment continues as the company grows.

A ride that keeps getting better

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

ProsZoosk is a place where you can maintain a lot of project ownership. With the right initiative, you have the opportunity to gain a lot of skills and bolster your resume well beyond peers. The people you work with are capable - some of which have skill sets that are truly world class in terms of development and execution. The company over time has shown consistent effort to improve the overall experience for it's employees. If you want to work, learn, and get paid while doing it, Zoosk is a place to make it happen.

ConsHistorically Zoosk has not always been clear with the expectations of it's employees or in laying out a clear path for vertical mobility or horizontal transitions. Growth in the company has essentially been guided by the will of the individual and that person's fortune in anticipating their superiors expectations. As a startup this was particularly problematic, as many managers were entirely new to management.

Although a free-agent mentality is somewhat to be expected in dynamic fields, I think the lack of career guidance due to budding or otherwise overworked management has led to some of the "liberal" firings mentioned by other reviews. In truth though, if you do your job, are attentive to what is asked of you, and maintain a reasonably good attitude, assuming you actually get hired - you won't likely be fired at Zoosk.

Advice to Senior ManagementZoosk is a good place to work. Cultivate a clear path for your employee's growth and help positively guide them through vertical and horizontal transitions. That will make Zoosk a great place to work.

Worked for Zoosk? Contribute to the Community!

Zoosk Videos

Zoosk – Why Work for Us?

An organization with a lot of heart... Zoosk's mission is to empower everyone to lead a more fulfilling love life. Values Zoosk’s diverse employees enrich both our professional environment and the work we do. Our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zoosk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zoosk CEO Shayan Zadeh. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Zoosk employees.