Zoosk

Updated November 20, 2014
3.7

Shayan Zadeh

Very cool team

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Zagreb (Croatia)
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Zagreb (Croatia)

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool team, interesting technology solutions

Cons

Company discontinued, no more operating

None

Dangerous to your career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dogs are nice, I wish more companies (and their building managers) would do it.
    Most reviewer complain about the dinners, but I routinely stayed late and got them, and it was probably the most social interaction a lot of people got all day.
    Culture was actually pretty cool, a lot of the rank-and-file folk are regular people just trying to pay for the families.

Cons

I was fired a few years back , during the co-CEO days. While I'm a well paid iOS developer with many years of experience, even still I should have known the money was too good to be true (not outrageous, but definitely a level I would not have expected). Now I wouldn't really care; I got rehired in a week, but my friend who was working here just recently got fired as well.

My story is I worked in two roles for about 5 months. After completing my deliverable for that sprint, I was fired the following Friday, what was so odd about it was my manager (technical guy, who actually did the 1-on-1s) was pretty amazed at my ability (I showed off a lot of cool techniques I had learned in my spare time). Turns out I had offended the senior manager 'dude' when I failed to answer his pedantic questions about my code satisfactorily, and I was being let go immediately.

Additionally, recent college graduates should be particularly worried, they regularly fire about half the team when your "intro" project is done. While I noticed people were fired regularly (typically 1-2 per month), I didn't know there technical chops personally, so I reasoned they could actually be incompetent. However a friend I made while working there got the ax recently too, so yea, definitely look elsewhere if you've got the opportunity.

Also current employees are greatly encourages to post a review, so take all these positive ones with a tremendous grain of salt.

Glad to hear the co-CEOs thing is gone, that was very dangerous to the design (the designers of course, not you).
    Certain managers need to go, they were promoted for their loyalty, and not competence or leadership ability.
    Disagreement should not be meted with termination; disagreement produces a better product, because you have to justify your assertions logically.

Excellent Engineering Team ! Great Place to Work Learn and Grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work if you are in the beginning of you career. The engineers are really smart and you get to learn a lot from your peers.

The work life balance is good for a startup

There is time for a lot of fun apart from work. (ping-pong tournaments are really fun)

The culture is very diverse, you get to interact with ppl from all round the globe

Cons

Top tire management is a little dominating.

If you don't perform up to their expectation, you WILL get fired immediately

Think Twice!

Former Employee - General Postion in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - General Postion in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally speaking, the people are nice and Zoosk will succeed. However, don't be fooled, the only people who will benefit is the very top management, everyone else is expendable, especially the non-engineers.

Cons

Little to no autonomy, rampant micromanagement, no appreciation for contribution and lack of maturity in senior management. The COO is not to be trusted, she turns on her staff and other members of Zoosk for no reason. There is little opportunity for career growth and high staff turnover (check out the careers page, this many open positions is not because the company is growing). As for the positive reviews on this site by current employees, Zoosk 'strongly encourages' its staff to write them.

Trust your employees, share the success.

Great for engineers. Only engineers.

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees, outside of the G&A "team", are good people. Benefits are good. Nice space.

Cons

If you're an engineer you have it made. If you're anything else, you get the scraps, including pay and bonuses. Engineers are separated on the 6th floor. The company also takes up the 5th and part of 4th floors. It definitely rolls downhill. The employees on the 4th floor are treated the worst and get all the hand-me-downs. Literally. Even the look of each floor changes from good to bad as you go from top to bottom.

Company is so focused on engineers it's a detriment to the rest, who are very expendable and know they are. It's no secret.

Hiring and firing practices are sketch. If you make the CFO/COO or HR manager mad at you (or one of their buddies), they'll find a way to get rid of you. Or they'll make your life so miserable you'll quit.

Don't let the ratings here fool you. They told employees to be sure to get in here and post great reviews.

Treat all employees like they're as golden at the engineers. Investigate the shady personnel practices - lots of gray areas there.

Cold heartedly fired.

Former Employee - Senior UI Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior UI Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I liked.

Cons

Former title: Sr. UI Designer

So here's my honest review after being fired one day I walked into work on a Friday. It all started out great, generally positive reviews every week from my manager and I was told several times by her that I was doing a great job. Until that very day of course.

I thought it was really unprofessional how the whole thing went down actually, and I felt I was rushed out of there quickly. My manager got to say a couple words as to the reasoning I was being terminated and then the HR director quickly ended the conversation when I asked “why did you hire me” and told her she could go before there was really any further discussion. This is when it got weird, I couldn't even be escorted to grab my stuff from my desk, she made someone else in HR walk upstairs and grab my belongings for me like I was some untrusted 18 year old! And then when she brought me my stuff, she questioned where I got my mouse! Like I was stealing it! Ridiculous.

Generally, I felt it was a little odd that the founders were so involved in every little detail of staff decisions that went on there. Almost to a point of high-level micromanagement. Not a whole lot of trust going on there if you ask me. I guess I should of been scared like some of the people that worked there to make my own decisions, that is if I knew I was on the chopping block…

They sit in viewing distance of everyone in the open space, clearly as some leaders would. But the lack of communication between my manager and I and the CEO on my performance was really odd and confusing the day I was terminated. I was told that my “strength just didn't lie with product and the reasoning behind product design decisions.” The thing was, at the end of the day, I wasn’t making any product decisions, he was.

Very little attention was focused on UX design consistency with there products, and it was brought up by me and my team several times and ignored. In fact it was considered low priority. I find that alarming these days in tech…

I truly feel that I was unfairly blamed for some decrease in numbers that went down there. I wasn’t the one approving them to go out the door.

Some advice if your hired, don’t assume everything is going well while your there. You could be next.

Good luck Zoosk.

- A designer with over 15 years of experience

Don't lie to your employees or hide the truth, that was BS.

Top-tier engineering team

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Great place to do your best work. Company has a real interest in engineering correct solutions, but also balances getting the job done. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Decision-makiing is concentrated at the very top. Not a place where you can slack off, this company let's go of people quickly who can't cut it.

Trust your best people to make the best decisions.

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Zoosk 4+ years as a product manager and continue to learn something new on the job every day. The product and engineering teams are outstanding and tackle hard problems with zeal.

We fail fast and learn from our mistakes. We capitalize on our successes very quickly! Zoosk is a very positive, risk taking environment!

The company is committed to delivering a high-quality service to its members, making a sound business from it, and developing its employees into rock-stars.

Cons

There are just so many interesting projects happening all the time that it's sometimes difficult to keep up with it all.

Sometimes there's alot of work to do... but the good thing is that no work is ever wasted here!

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very young and casual. No bureaucracy. Get things done is what they want

Cons

Its all work work work and no play

Strike a balance. Stop providing catered food at 7:30PM and force employees to stay for food but in reality stay to do work

Exceeded all my expectations so far

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Terrific work culture: result driven with virtually no office politics.
    - Fun place to work: most people are really laid back and work well together.
    - Smart people, the talent bar is high.
    - Flexible Time Off plan with "unlimited" time off (expect no problem getting at least 4 weeks/year, more is common but might be a stretch in some cases or on some teams).
    - Strong growth trajectory: company is growing fast and opportunities for individual growth also abound.

Cons

Growth has its discontents: Zoosk still operates mostly like a start-up, but it's reached almost 200 employees and is inevitably becoming more structured: there is nothing wrong with that but if you're looking for a start-up culture this might not be the best fit in the medium to long term.