Zoosk

Kelly Steckelberg

A dysfunctional little company

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible time off, typical startup perks. There truly is an effort from the company to give back to the local community.

Cons

a number of managers are in their position for loyalty, not because of any kind of leadership abilities. If Zoosk is to grow beyond its current state, or have a prayer of retaining talented engineers, then this practice must be stopped. I strongly recommend against joining this company.

re-evaluate lower management positions. Reduce micromanagement. Make company more transparent.

Happy at Zoosk

I have been working at Zoosk

Pros

Nightly Dinner, Office Pets, Career Growth, Competitive Pay, Philanthropic & Company Events.

Cons

The neighborhood needs a bit of work but that's city living!

Fired suddenly

I have been working at Zoosk

Pros

salary was decent
    a few smart and nice coworkers (not the norm)

Cons

Depending on what team you are on, management offers little to no guidance

Despite specifying no standards, engineering managers will nitpick your code and style (if you are new)

There used to be a newer team, which they made seem like an innovative group that will work on new projects. In reality, it's just a probationary period for new developers during which you work on projects no one else cares about.

I was fired from this team because they thought I wasn't getting enough work done. Actually the project was stagnating, there were no new requirements coming in. Our "team" at this point was making trivial UI changes to make it seem like we were working, or just generally screwing around. We received zero feedback from management up to this point, and couple of us were fired as soon as project ended.

Be more transparent. Confront and try to fix problems with your employees instead of quietly passing judgment.

Awful place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is diverse, dogs in the office and a nice office space.

Cons

Horrible upper management including the CEO Kelly Steckelberg, micromanaging, inexperienced Sr. management, no career growth and too much gossip around the office.

Salaries are not as competitive as other tech companies in the area. Think about who you promote to Sr. Management as they might not have the skills nor the experience that is needed. Please send your Sr. Management to training on "How to be a Mgr."

Stay away

I have been working at Zoosk

Pros

Good engineering team . . . .

Cons

too much office politics. Nobody know what is happening. Too unstable. Management is very clueless.

Very cool team

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Zagreb (Croatia)
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Zagreb (Croatia)

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cool team, interesting technology solutions

Cons

Company discontinued, no more operating

None

Dangerous to your career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dogs are nice, I wish more companies (and their building managers) would do it.
    Most reviewer complain about the dinners, but I routinely stayed late and got them, and it was probably the most social interaction a lot of people got all day.
    Culture was actually pretty cool, a lot of the rank-and-file folk are regular people just trying to pay for the families.

Cons

I was fired a few years back , during the co-CEO days. While I'm a well paid iOS developer with many years of experience, even still I should have known the money was too good to be true (not outrageous, but definitely a level I would not have expected). Now I wouldn't really care; I got rehired in a week, but my friend who was working here just recently got fired as well.

My story is I worked in two roles for about 5 months. After completing my deliverable for that sprint, I was fired the following Friday, what was so odd about it was my manager (technical guy, who actually did the 1-on-1s) was pretty amazed at my ability (I showed off a lot of cool techniques I had learned in my spare time). Turns out I had offended the senior manager 'dude' when I failed to answer his pedantic questions about my code satisfactorily, and I was being let go immediately.

Additionally, recent college graduates should be particularly worried, they regularly fire about half the team when your "intro" project is done. While I noticed people were fired regularly (typically 1-2 per month), I didn't know there technical chops personally, so I reasoned they could actually be incompetent. However a friend I made while working there got the ax recently too, so yea, definitely look elsewhere if you've got the opportunity.

Also current employees are greatly encourages to post a review, so take all these positive ones with a tremendous grain of salt.

Glad to hear the co-CEOs thing is gone, that was very dangerous to the design (the designers of course, not you).
    Certain managers need to go, they were promoted for their loyalty, and not competence or leadership ability.
    Disagreement should not be meted with termination; disagreement produces a better product, because you have to justify your assertions logically.

Excellent Engineering Team ! Great Place to Work Learn and Grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you are in the beginning of you career. The engineers are really smart and you get to learn a lot from your peers.

The work life balance is good for a startup

There is time for a lot of fun apart from work. (ping-pong tournaments are really fun)

The culture is very diverse, you get to interact with ppl from all round the globe

Cons

Top tire management is a little dominating.

If you don't perform up to their expectation, you WILL get fired immediately

Think Twice!

Former Employee - General Postion in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - General Postion in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally speaking, the people are nice and Zoosk will succeed. However, don't be fooled, the only people who will benefit is the very top management, everyone else is expendable, especially the non-engineers.

Cons

Little to no autonomy, rampant micromanagement, no appreciation for contribution and lack of maturity in senior management. The COO is not to be trusted, she turns on her staff and other members of Zoosk for no reason. There is little opportunity for career growth and high staff turnover (check out the careers page, this many open positions is not because the company is growing). As for the positive reviews on this site by current employees, Zoosk 'strongly encourages' its staff to write them.

Trust your employees, share the success.

Great for engineers. Only engineers.

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees, outside of the G&A "team", are good people. Benefits are good. Nice space.

Cons

If you're an engineer you have it made. If you're anything else, you get the scraps, including pay and bonuses. Engineers are separated on the 6th floor. The company also takes up the 5th and part of 4th floors. It definitely rolls downhill. The employees on the 4th floor are treated the worst and get all the hand-me-downs. Literally. Even the look of each floor changes from good to bad as you go from top to bottom.

Company is so focused on engineers it's a detriment to the rest, who are very expendable and know they are. It's no secret.

Hiring and firing practices are sketch. If you make the CFO/COO or HR manager mad at you (or one of their buddies), they'll find a way to get rid of you. Or they'll make your life so miserable you'll quit.

Don't let the ratings here fool you. They told employees to be sure to get in here and post great reviews.

Treat all employees like they're as golden at the engineers. Investigate the shady personnel practices - lots of gray areas there.