Zoosk

www.zoosk.com
Employer Engaged

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Zoosk 4+ years as a product manager and continue to learn something new on the job every day. The product and engineering teams are outstanding and tackle hard problems with zeal.

We fail fast and learn from our mistakes. We capitalize on our successes very quickly! Zoosk is a very positive, risk taking environment!

The company is committed to delivering a high-quality service to its members, making a sound business from it, and developing its employees into rock-stars.

Cons

There are just so many interesting projects happening all the time that it's sometimes difficult to keep up with it all.

Sometimes there's alot of work to do... but the good thing is that no work is ever wasted here!

Exceeded all my expectations so far

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Terrific work culture: result driven with virtually no office politics.
    - Fun place to work: most people are really laid back and work well together.
    - Smart people, the talent bar is high.
    - Flexible Time Off plan with "unlimited" time off (expect no problem getting at least 4 weeks/year, more is common but might be a stretch in some cases or on some teams).
    - Strong growth trajectory: company is growing fast and opportunities for individual growth also abound.

Cons

Growth has its discontents: Zoosk still operates mostly like a start-up, but it's reached almost 200 employees and is inevitably becoming more structured: there is nothing wrong with that but if you're looking for a start-up culture this might not be the best fit in the medium to long term.

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very young and casual. No bureaucracy. Get things done is what they want

Cons

Its all work work work and no play

Strike a balance. Stop providing catered food at 7:30PM and force employees to stay for food but in reality stay to do work

Glad I joined!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of autonomy in doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Very flat organization w/ a start up feel, despite being sizable. Great quality team and am challenged. This is so far the best company that I've worked within.

Cons

Nothing significant: temperature in the office can be improved and sometimes there are yogurt shortages.

Marvelous

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring, smart co-workers, great leadership, fun atmosphere, great product, advancement opportunities, really strong work ethic within the team, extremely effective marketing & engineering departments, among others.

Cons

My time at Zoosk has been amazing. It's really difficult to come up wit any cons.

Perhaps there could be more options for on-the-job skills training (if I had to nitpick), but overall, Zoosk is a very well run company.

Happy One Year Anniversary

Current Employee - User Interface Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Interface Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zoosk has invested in me and rewarded me within just one year. I am awed by the leadership management exhibits—addressing problems seriously and respectfully. I feel very lucky to be working with such intelligent, creative people. I love my team and I love coming to work everyday—sometimes with my dog.

Cons

The area is a bit sketchy, even though I can see many signs of improvement to come. The elevators in this building are terrible.

I hope this encouraging and communicative environment continues as the company grows.

A ride that keeps getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Zoosk is a place where you can maintain a lot of project ownership. With the right initiative, you have the opportunity to gain a lot of skills and bolster your resume well beyond peers. The people you work with are capable - some of which have skill sets that are truly world class in terms of development and execution. The company over time has shown consistent effort to improve the overall experience for it's employees. If you want to work, learn, and get paid while doing it, Zoosk is a place to make it happen.

Cons

Historically Zoosk has not always been clear with the expectations of it's employees or in laying out a clear path for vertical mobility or horizontal transitions. Growth in the company has essentially been guided by the will of the individual and that person's fortune in anticipating their superiors expectations. As a startup this was particularly problematic, as many managers were entirely new to management.

Although a free-agent mentality is somewhat to be expected in dynamic fields, I think the lack of career guidance due to budding or otherwise overworked management has led to some of the "liberal" firings mentioned by other reviews. In truth though, if you do your job, are attentive to what is asked of you, and maintain a reasonably good attitude, assuming you actually get hired - you won't likely be fired at Zoosk.

Zoosk is a good place to work. Cultivate a clear path for your employee's growth and help positively guide them through vertical and horizontal transitions. That will make Zoosk a great place to work.

Best job I've ever had.

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've worked in the tech PR world for many years now, and this job at Zoosk has to be hands-down the best job I've ever had. If you get a job here, you will meet a ton of smart, ambitious, dedicated employees; you'll have great perks, including a swanky gym membership; you'll learn a lot about the fast-growing online dating world; and you'll absolutely enjoy coming in to work every day.

Cons

I haven't had any complaints working at Zoosk as of yet. Regarding the complaints laid out in other reviews, clearly everyone has their own experience working here, but those complaints seemed fairly dramatic and incorrect.

Keep doing what you're doing! Happy employees -> better work -> better results!

Combines the fast-paced dev cycle of a young startup with the professional maturity and stability of a much older outfit

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The agile environment means a lot of time is spent developing features. It is difficult to be bored because you rarely spend more than two weeks on any given project before moving onto the next venture.

Cons

Sometimes the heavy focus on feature development means a sacrifice in going back to clear up old technical debt which can be a bit frustrating for the engineering-minded. But, of course, given the choice I would much rather work on features than bugs and code refactoring.

Great environment at a company with potential

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of cross-pollination between different teams. Co-workers are usually open to new ideas and working together to solve problems. In my experience team leaders have been more than willing to invest time into developing the skills of younger employees, so working here has been a great opportunity to learn. Management seems to attract employees who are friendly and engaging so the atmosphere is pretty jovial, overall.

The company and the product itself are *truly* driven by big-data and should stay ahead of the curve as the industry and competition evolve. Most people here have faith in the products (website, apps, etc.) as well as the trajectory of the business as it continues to grow.

As with most tech companies, the benefits package is great. There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership. Some say that it's not as generous as other tech companies, but I personally don't feel the need to have Street Fighter II or Dance Dance Revolution in my office :)

Cons

The location -- on 6th and Market -- can be a bit off-putting. Things are getting better, though, as the tech industry presence increases (Spotify, Zendesk, Twitter, and others are all close by). The quality of local businesses and cleanliness of the neighborhood are consequently improving.