Zoosk

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.5

Kelly Steckelberg

Lack of vision, poor management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are generally nice and there are great perks like a subsidized gym membership and free dinner. The engineering team is dedicated and can be fun to work with. There are free dinners and they try and make the work environment fun, but it is extremely forced. They throw happy hours every Thursday but most of the socializing that goes on is a bit awkward. The pay is alright but you could get better opportunities elsewhere in the Bay Area doing more innovative, meaningful, and impactful work. The new offices are nicely decorated but its located in a rundown area of town. I have seen homeless people publicly defecate and urinate on my way to and leaving work which was quite unpleasant. There were a lot of learning opportunities early on when I joined but its no longer a startup even though they try and tell new employees that it is and try their best to make it seem like it is.

Cons

Its a gossipy environment which others have said before. It feels like high school even though all the employees are full grown adults. I have even seen Management engage in this banter which was disheartening. Management is extremely top down and it is the opposite of a flat 360 degree organization. Oftentimes I would offer my professional advice only to have my opinions shot down by management. If they wanted to hire me with my engineering and business expertise and never hear my advice and opinions, then why not hire a mindless employee without experience or credentials to begin with? Sometimes the CEOs (at one point there were 2...go figure) would come in and try to change code as it was being pushed out without notifying the rest of the team. This would perhaps be fine if they had great vision and could afford such tactics but there were several missteps including trying to create a romantic social network which was a big failure. Why make a new social network when Facebook is clearly the defacto choice by users worldwide? Also the company's business is not based on any true innovations in online dating. There were companies like Tinder who one-upped us with more innovative free services, and there seemed to be a general lack of interest in innovation and instead a focus on monetization and copying the competition. Although understandable from a financial and business perspective, why not offer both? With all the free online services on the market (and more every day), more established Internet dating companies, what is the rationale for customers to use Zoosk, and what is the long term potential for this company? Short term gains with no focus on long term growth. Don't become the next Zynga...

Focus on true long term innovation that benefits your customers without resorting to cheap business tactics and the growth will come. Listen to your employees; you hired them for their expertise in their chosen field - we aren't just robots working on whatever you tell us to do, especially for cheap monetization and gamification tactics.

Just keep your head down and nothing will happen

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zoosk is an interesting place to work. The environment can be fun. They do their best to buy the love of their employees with free nightly dinners, birthday events, monthly parties and happy hours. You get the typical pile of t-shirts and things that you get at every startup. And select employees get to go to tradeshows. Plus, you get to work with some incredibly talented people who really do know things.

Cons

They have high turnover.

In the time I worked there, they seemed to fire a couple people every couple of months; people who all seemed like good contributors. And when they were fired, the company seldom gave much of an explanation of why, if they gave one at all.

As a result, I always feared being fired. Every time HR would come by my desk, I was certain I’d be let go. This fear stemmed from the aforementioned firing and the lack of adequate communication from management to me regarding my role, responsibilities and goals.

Many of the employees would often share that they were always waiting to get fired. I'd also hear stories of people who were afraid to participate in activities because senior management weren’t participating, so they feared they would be punished if they did.

But the most glaring problem was this: Promotion of people as a reward for time spent with the company. This led to many managers who lacked the qualifications to manage highly skilled employees. It was these people who communicated so poorly, and oftentimes scapegoated their inadequacies off onto their teams and team members.

Promote people because they are leaders and can lead, and stop thinking that Zoosk is a collaborative environment. It’s not. Orders simply trickle down and everyone seems to know that but you!

We're doing something right!

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Pretty solid team here. Aggressive, data and results driven company. If you fall behind then you run the risk of getting lost in the dust. Low turnover. Most people I know who have left Zoosk have left to become leads and managers. The others were let go because they fell behind. The company has been growing and there are so many faces I don't even know. The people that work here are smart and nice.

The leadership team is pretty good too. Very aggressive and demanding which can be hard to handle at times but none of them are divas or a-holes.

Cons

Being that the company is so aggressive with their targets it does make it easy to run the risk of getting lost in the dust. Managers need more training and need to be more hands on with their teams. Some managers are great while others need training. They need to learn how to nurture and encourage their teams. They need to learn how to help the slower members get back on track so they get the tomahawk axe.

Salaries could be better. Don't think they are as competitive as other SF tech companies. Office perks could be better. I give it a score of 2 1/2 out of 5 on the quality of the snacks and drinks in the office. Most of the stuff is standard quality Costco stuff. First world problems I know but this is the place to vent.

A great place to learn and grow!

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Unlimited time off. Smart, funny and creative people. CEO and Pres are awesome dinner mates. Pet friendly. Fast-paced and tons of fun time. Lots of new and exciting projects popping up every day.

Cons

There is a lot of construction in the area. It can be chaotic and loud. At times the noise is a bit much but thanks for the headphones Zoosk to help cut out the noise!

Keep sharing and informing your employees. Transparency is a good way to let the teams know just how well we are doing.

It's not that they are bad... just clueless

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some nice people work there and are trying but overall this company is doomed. Dog to work is cool and the food is nice.

Cons

Immature managers and executives, no vision, no strategy, they are focused on going public but it won't happen, transparency is a two way street once the investors get a look at how the business is run they will run away.

To manage is to lead and develop talent not apply a cookie cutter to everyone and expect it to work, diversity in a work force is what makes business succeed.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of incentives. Probably the best place to be a CSR in San Francisco.

Cons

It's pretty obvious that CS is the department the company cares about least. When we moved, they put us on our own floor and it was pretty bleak. The rest of the floors were renovated to have less of a prison feel.

It's incredibly stupid to have an entire department that you ignore. There were multiple times that my management went to other departments with issues that were blown off.

Unprofessional

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They try to add fun activities for the company, free dinners (only good if you plan on staying there until after 6-- who doesn't want to eat with their family?) , snacks

Cons

This company is very unprofessional and it starts with upper management. The company is trying to still be a start up but runs like a regular corporation. There is always gossip and its very cliquey. they try to have regular get togethers but it turns out to be a room of people awkwardly standing around sticking with their own depts. No free lunch but free dinner. weird.

Be professional. Treat your employees with some respect. Listen to them, give them credit when it's needed. Maybe you should send managers to more trainings to learn how to act like a manager.

Fun, exciting, and always new products to work on.

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

The people at Zoosk are great to work with it. We collaborate on every feature that goes out with the product release. Everyone loves what they do and always strive to make a great product.

Cons

The office itself is great, however the location is a little bit sketchy.

Ambitious people going nowhere

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

snacks, fun and young culture

Cons

lacks leadership and also communication

Chatty, gossipy environment.

I worked at Zoosk

Pros

In general the people are nice. They try to promote a fun and enthusiastic environment. Benefits are mediocre but not horrible. If you like dogs you'll fit right in. Engineering interviews are challenging. Smart people.

Cons

What is a CO-CEO? Not sure but Zoosk has two. Retention salaries for engineering because they have a difficult time finding talent. High expectations for new hire engineers, yet very little to show for output in the product. Gets mind numbing. Soul wrenching. Employees have a tendency to talk, gossip, spread rumors, and engage in less than appropriate talk. Selective about when to enforce/relax company policies on certain individuals due to an individuals association with executives in the company. People's animals running around office & in the break room [where you guessed it, the food is].

Do what is right. Stop making excuses and blaming your employees for your pitfalls. Take more pride in what you do and stop accepting second best for work.