Zoosk Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
39 reviews filtered by

A ride that keeps getting better

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Zoosk is a place where you can maintain a lot of project ownership. With the right initiative, you have the opportunity to gain a lot of skills and bolster your resume well beyond peers. The people you work with are capable - some of which have skill sets that are truly world class in terms of development and execution. The company over time has shown consistent effort to improve the overall experience for it's employees. If you want to work, learn, and get paid while doing it, Zoosk is a place to make it happen.

Cons

Historically Zoosk has not always been clear with the expectations of it's employees or in laying out a clear path for vertical mobility or horizontal transitions. Growth in the company has essentially been guided by the will of the individual and that person's fortune in anticipating their superiors expectations. As a startup this was particularly problematic, as many managers were entirely new to management.

Although a free-agent mentality is somewhat to be expected in dynamic fields, I think the lack of career guidance due to budding or otherwise overworked management has led to some of the "liberal" firings mentioned by other reviews. In truth though, if you do your job, are attentive to what is asked of you, and maintain a reasonably good attitude, assuming you actually get hired - you won't likely be fired at Zoosk.

Zoosk is a good place to work. Cultivate a clear path for your employee's growth and help positively guide them through vertical and horizontal transitions. That will make Zoosk a great place to work.

2. Combines the fast-paced dev cycle of a young startup with the professional maturity and stability of a much older outfit

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The agile environment means a lot of time is spent developing features. It is difficult to be bored because you rarely spend more than two weeks on any given project before moving onto the next venture.

Cons

Sometimes the heavy focus on feature development means a sacrifice in going back to clear up old technical debt which can be a bit frustrating for the engineering-minded. But, of course, given the choice I would much rather work on features than bugs and code refactoring.

3. Amazing opportunities for growth in an environment, everyone cares about quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Zoosk, especially in Engineering and UX, are some of the most dedicated and brilliant I have ever encountered. I used to often be the smartest person in the room at other workplaces, but that is rarely true at Zoosk. I've worked hard here, and my dedication has been noticed and rewarded. I try in turn to notice others' efforts and reward them generously.

Cons

The area is a bummer, to be perfectly honest. I get sick of eating at the mall. I also wish the User Ops team had a nicer office environment and that more effort had been put in to their floor.

The time will come when there will need to be more delegation, and it's probably best to do it sooner rather than later.

5. Great environment at a company with potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of cross-pollination between different teams. Co-workers are usually open to new ideas and working together to solve problems. In my experience team leaders have been more than willing to invest time into developing the skills of younger employees, so working here has been a great opportunity to learn. Management seems to attract employees who are friendly and engaging so the atmosphere is pretty jovial, overall.

The company and the product itself are *truly* driven by big-data and should stay ahead of the curve as the industry and competition evolve. Most people here have faith in the products (website, apps, etc.) as well as the trajectory of the business as it continues to grow.

As with most tech companies, the benefits package is great. There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership. Some say that it's not as generous as other tech companies, but I personally don't feel the need to have Street Fighter II or Dance Dance Revolution in my office :)

Cons

The location -- on 6th and Market -- can be a bit off-putting. Things are getting better, though, as the tech industry presence increases (Spotify, Zendesk, Twitter, and others are all close by). The quality of local businesses and cleanliness of the neighborhood are consequently improving.

6. Great employees make Zoosk a great place to work

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Zoosk is great for people who appreciate the energy of a start up environment balanced with the security of working for a successful, established company. Employees are generally smart and teamwork is emphasized over ego.

Cons

Mid Market location isn't ideal, but the area has seen a noticeable improvement in the past year. It does help to have other startups are in the vicinity bringing young professionals into the neighborhood during the day.

Salaries are not as competitive as other tech companies in the area. This can change to reduce turnover of top talent.

Going nowhere at the speed of light...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a bit and like many Tech companies they all have the free snacks, subsidized gym memberships, and dinner. With that said, this shouldn't be a differentiator if you are looking at a job in Tech these days. It's the minimum requirement in order to recruit and retain talent so the best people don't go to other companies.

I shouldn't look at a gift horse in the mouth, but I didn't like the fact that they only have free dinner since it forced people to work later. Also since all the Engineers in the company come in later, it's really meant for them and not the rest of the staff which gets in early and leaves before Dinner. They do this as a carrot at the end of the stick. This fact isn't explicitly stated, but it's what's really going on and these perks aren't meant for all. Flex Time off looks good on paper and sounds amazing but I never saw any of it. There are many companies like Twitter or Square which don't adhere to this philosophy and their perks seem more genuine in nature.

Cons

I worked as a Customer Service Rep and we were treated terribly. We had to bring our own food in the form of potlucks for parties and management wouldn't pay for meals like they do in other departments in the company. The company puts a lot of care into the other departments, even going as far as to do amazing interior design for their meeting rooms. Unfortunately, the Customer Service department looked like a prison and we were treated like prisoners too. Concrete Walls and we didn't even get our own laptops like in other parts of the company. The job was difficult as well as there were many angry customers and they didn't like the company's aggressive marketing campaigns. You could immediately tell that management wanted to treat us a cost center and not as a advantage. The next step is to offshore the entire department overseas so we cost them even less and they can shut down the prison. I couldn't see much career path there and needed to move on.

Give the Customer Service Department some respect. We're your frontlines talking to customers all day and serve a important role. Zoosk is more than just the engineers and marketing. Customer service promotes the brand, keeps customers, and engages them. Where would you be without it?

Lack of vision, poor management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are generally nice and there are great perks like a subsidized gym membership and free dinner. The engineering team is dedicated and can be fun to work with. There are free dinners and they try and make the work environment fun, but it is extremely forced. They throw happy hours every Thursday but most of the socializing that goes on is a bit awkward. The pay is alright but you could get better opportunities elsewhere in the Bay Area doing more innovative, meaningful, and impactful work. The new offices are nicely decorated but its located in a rundown area of town. I have seen homeless people publicly defecate and urinate on my way to and leaving work which was quite unpleasant. There were a lot of learning opportunities early on when I joined but its no longer a startup even though they try and tell new employees that it is and try their best to make it seem like it is.

Cons

Its a gossipy environment which others have said before. It feels like high school even though all the employees are full grown adults. I have even seen Management engage in this banter which was disheartening. Management is extremely top down and it is the opposite of a flat 360 degree organization. Oftentimes I would offer my professional advice only to have my opinions shot down by management. If they wanted to hire me with my engineering and business expertise and never hear my advice and opinions, then why not hire a mindless employee without experience or credentials to begin with? Sometimes the CEOs (at one point there were 2...go figure) would come in and try to change code as it was being pushed out without notifying the rest of the team. This would perhaps be fine if they had great vision and could afford such tactics but there were several missteps including trying to create a romantic social network which was a big failure. Why make a new social network when Facebook is clearly the defacto choice by users worldwide? Also the company's business is not based on any true innovations in online dating. There were companies like Tinder who one-upped us with more innovative free services, and there seemed to be a general lack of interest in innovation and instead a focus on monetization and copying the competition. Although understandable from a financial and business perspective, why not offer both? With all the free online services on the market (and more every day), more established Internet dating companies, what is the rationale for customers to use Zoosk, and what is the long term potential for this company? Short term gains with no focus on long term growth. Don't become the next Zynga...

Focus on true long term innovation that benefits your customers without resorting to cheap business tactics and the growth will come. Listen to your employees; you hired them for their expertise in their chosen field - we aren't just robots working on whatever you tell us to do, especially for cheap monetization and gamification tactics.

Just keep your head down and nothing will happen

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zoosk is an interesting place to work. The environment can be fun. They do their best to buy the love of their employees with free nightly dinners, birthday events, monthly parties and happy hours. You get the typical pile of t-shirts and things that you get at every startup. And select employees get to go to tradeshows. Plus, you get to work with some incredibly talented people who really do know things.

Cons

They have high turnover.

In the time I worked there, they seemed to fire a couple people every couple of months; people who all seemed like good contributors. And when they were fired, the company seldom gave much of an explanation of why, if they gave one at all.

As a result, I always feared being fired. Every time HR would come by my desk, I was certain I’d be let go. This fear stemmed from the aforementioned firing and the lack of adequate communication from management to me regarding my role, responsibilities and goals.

Many of the employees would often share that they were always waiting to get fired. I'd also hear stories of people who were afraid to participate in activities because senior management weren’t participating, so they feared they would be punished if they did.

But the most glaring problem was this: Promotion of people as a reward for time spent with the company. This led to many managers who lacked the qualifications to manage highly skilled employees. It was these people who communicated so poorly, and oftentimes scapegoated their inadequacies off onto their teams and team members.

Promote people because they are leaders and can lead, and stop thinking that Zoosk is a collaborative environment. It’s not. Orders simply trickle down and everyone seems to know that but you!

We're doing something right!

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Pretty solid team here. Aggressive, data and results driven company. If you fall behind then you run the risk of getting lost in the dust. Low turnover. Most people I know who have left Zoosk have left to become leads and managers. The others were let go because they fell behind. The company has been growing and there are so many faces I don't even know. The people that work here are smart and nice.

The leadership team is pretty good too. Very aggressive and demanding which can be hard to handle at times but none of them are divas or a-holes.

Cons

Being that the company is so aggressive with their targets it does make it easy to run the risk of getting lost in the dust. Managers need more training and need to be more hands on with their teams. Some managers are great while others need training. They need to learn how to nurture and encourage their teams. They need to learn how to help the slower members get back on track so they get the tomahawk axe.

Salaries could be better. Don't think they are as competitive as other SF tech companies. Office perks could be better. I give it a score of 2 1/2 out of 5 on the quality of the snacks and drinks in the office. Most of the stuff is standard quality Costco stuff. First world problems I know but this is the place to vent.

A great place to learn and grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Unlimited time off. Smart, funny and creative people. CEO and Pres are awesome dinner mates. Pet friendly. Fast-paced and tons of fun time. Lots of new and exciting projects popping up every day.

Cons

There is a lot of construction in the area. It can be chaotic and loud. At times the noise is a bit much but thanks for the headphones Zoosk to help cut out the noise!

Keep sharing and informing your employees. Transparency is a good way to let the teams know just how well we are doing.