Zoosk Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.8

Shayan Zadeh

We're doing something right!

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Pretty solid team here. Aggressive, data and results driven company. If you fall behind then you run the risk of getting lost in the dust. Low turnover. Most people I know who have left Zoosk have left to become leads and managers. The others were let go because they fell behind. The company has been growing and there are so many faces I don't even know. The people that work here are smart and nice.

The leadership team is pretty good too. Very aggressive and demanding which can be hard to handle at times but none of them are divas or a-holes.

Cons

Being that the company is so aggressive with their targets it does make it easy to run the risk of getting lost in the dust. Managers need more training and need to be more hands on with their teams. Some managers are great while others need training. They need to learn how to nurture and encourage their teams. They need to learn how to help the slower members get back on track so they get the tomahawk axe.

Salaries could be better. Don't think they are as competitive as other SF tech companies. Office perks could be better. I give it a score of 2 1/2 out of 5 on the quality of the snacks and drinks in the office. Most of the stuff is standard quality Costco stuff. First world problems I know but this is the place to vent.

A great place to learn and grow!

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Unlimited time off. Smart, funny and creative people. CEO and Pres are awesome dinner mates. Pet friendly. Fast-paced and tons of fun time. Lots of new and exciting projects popping up every day.

Cons

There is a lot of construction in the area. It can be chaotic and loud. At times the noise is a bit much but thanks for the headphones Zoosk to help cut out the noise!

Keep sharing and informing your employees. Transparency is a good way to let the teams know just how well we are doing.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of incentives. Probably the best place to be a CSR in San Francisco.

Cons

It's pretty obvious that CS is the department the company cares about least. When we moved, they put us on our own floor and it was pretty bleak. The rest of the floors were renovated to have less of a prison feel.

It's incredibly stupid to have an entire department that you ignore. There were multiple times that my management went to other departments with issues that were blown off.

It's not that they are bad... just clueless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some nice people work there and are trying but overall this company is doomed. Dog to work is cool and the food is nice.

Cons

Immature managers and executives, no vision, no strategy, they are focused on going public but it won't happen, transparency is a two way street once the investors get a look at how the business is run they will run away.

To manage is to lead and develop talent not apply a cookie cutter to everyone and expect it to work, diversity in a work force is what makes business succeed.

Unprofessional

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They try to add fun activities for the company, free dinners (only good if you plan on staying there until after 6-- who doesn't want to eat with their family?) , snacks

Cons

This company is very unprofessional and it starts with upper management. The company is trying to still be a start up but runs like a regular corporation. There is always gossip and its very cliquey. they try to have regular get togethers but it turns out to be a room of people awkwardly standing around sticking with their own depts. No free lunch but free dinner. weird.

Be professional. Treat your employees with some respect. Listen to them, give them credit when it's needed. Maybe you should send managers to more trainings to learn how to act like a manager.

Fun, exciting, and always new products to work on.

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

The people at Zoosk are great to work with it. We collaborate on every feature that goes out with the product release. Everyone loves what they do and always strive to make a great product.

Cons

The office itself is great, however the location is a little bit sketchy.

Ambitious people going nowhere

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

snacks, fun and young culture

Cons

lacks leadership and also communication

Chatty, gossipy environment.

I worked at Zoosk

Pros

In general the people are nice. They try to promote a fun and enthusiastic environment. Benefits are mediocre but not horrible. If you like dogs you'll fit right in. Engineering interviews are challenging. Smart people.

Cons

What is a CO-CEO? Not sure but Zoosk has two. Retention salaries for engineering because they have a difficult time finding talent. High expectations for new hire engineers, yet very little to show for output in the product. Gets mind numbing. Soul wrenching. Employees have a tendency to talk, gossip, spread rumors, and engage in less than appropriate talk. Selective about when to enforce/relax company policies on certain individuals due to an individuals association with executives in the company. People's animals running around office & in the break room [where you guessed it, the food is].

Do what is right. Stop making excuses and blaming your employees for your pitfalls. Take more pride in what you do and stop accepting second best for work.

very well run, high caliber people, friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk

Pros

very efficiently run. open and friendly environment. opportunities for growth if you have ability. Location is a plus if you like downtown SF. Free dinner.

Cons

Might be hard for commuters to get to. Rent is expensive in San Francisco.

No transparency

I worked at Zoosk

Pros

High salary but average for south bay ranges

Cons

No stability, and no career path

I know you are in the business to make money; at the end of the day implement a competency based assessment center and much clear communication with employees.