Zoosk Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Shayan Zadeh

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging and Rewarding

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Zoosk 4+ years as a product manager and continue to learn something new on the job every day. The product and engineering teams are outstanding and tackle hard problems with zeal.

We fail fast and learn from our mistakes. We capitalize on our successes very quickly! Zoosk is a very positive, risk taking environment!

The company is committed to delivering a high-quality service to its members, making a sound business from it, and developing its employees into rock-stars.

Cons

There are just so many interesting projects happening all the time that it's sometimes difficult to keep up with it all.

Sometimes there's alot of work to do... but the good thing is that no work is ever wasted here!

Think Twice!

Former Employee - General Postion in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - General Postion in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally speaking, the people are nice and Zoosk will succeed. However, don't be fooled, the only people who will benefit is the very top management, everyone else is expendable, especially the non-engineers.

Cons

Little to no autonomy, rampant micromanagement, no appreciation for contribution and lack of maturity in senior management. The COO is not to be trusted, she turns on her staff and other members of Zoosk for no reason. There is little opportunity for career growth and high staff turnover (check out the careers page, this many open positions is not because the company is growing). As for the positive reviews on this site by current employees, Zoosk 'strongly encourages' its staff to write them.

Trust your employees, share the success.

Cold heartedly fired.

Former Employee - Senior UI Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior UI Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I liked.

Cons

Former title: Sr. UI Designer

So here's my honest review after being fired one day I walked into work on a Friday. It all started out great, generally positive reviews every week from my manager and I was told several times by her that I was doing a great job. Until that very day of course.

I thought it was really unprofessional how the whole thing went down actually, and I felt I was rushed out of there quickly. My manager got to say a couple words as to the reasoning I was being terminated and then the HR director quickly ended the conversation when I asked “why did you hire me” and told her she could go before there was really any further discussion. This is when it got weird, I couldn't even be escorted to grab my stuff from my desk, she made someone else in HR walk upstairs and grab my belongings for me like I was some untrusted 18 year old! And then when she brought me my stuff, she questioned where I got my mouse! Like I was stealing it! Ridiculous.

Generally, I felt it was a little odd that the founders were so involved in every little detail of staff decisions that went on there. Almost to a point of high-level micromanagement. Not a whole lot of trust going on there if you ask me. I guess I should of been scared like some of the people that worked there to make my own decisions, that is if I knew I was on the chopping block…

They sit in viewing distance of everyone in the open space, clearly as some leaders would. But the lack of communication between my manager and I and the CEO on my performance was really odd and confusing the day I was terminated. I was told that my “strength just didn't lie with product and the reasoning behind product design decisions.” The thing was, at the end of the day, I wasn’t making any product decisions, he was.

Very little attention was focused on UX design consistency with there products, and it was brought up by me and my team several times and ignored. In fact it was considered low priority. I find that alarming these days in tech…

I truly feel that I was unfairly blamed for some decrease in numbers that went down there. I wasn’t the one approving them to go out the door.

Some advice if your hired, don’t assume everything is going well while your there. You could be next.

Good luck Zoosk.

- A designer with over 15 years of experience

Don't lie to your employees or hide the truth, that was BS.

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very young and casual. No bureaucracy. Get things done is what they want

Cons

Its all work work work and no play

Strike a balance. Stop providing catered food at 7:30PM and force employees to stay for food but in reality stay to do work

Glad I joined!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of autonomy in doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Very flat organization w/ a start up feel, despite being sizable. Great quality team and am challenged. This is so far the best company that I've worked within.

Cons

Nothing significant: temperature in the office can be improved and sometimes there are yogurt shortages.

Happy One Year Anniversary

Current Employee - User Interface Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Interface Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Zoosk has invested in me and rewarded me within just one year. I am awed by the leadership management exhibits—addressing problems seriously and respectfully. I feel very lucky to be working with such intelligent, creative people. I love my team and I love coming to work everyday—sometimes with my dog.

Cons

The area is a bit sketchy, even though I can see many signs of improvement to come. The elevators in this building are terrible.

I hope this encouraging and communicative environment continues as the company grows.

A ride that keeps getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Zoosk is a place where you can maintain a lot of project ownership. With the right initiative, you have the opportunity to gain a lot of skills and bolster your resume well beyond peers. The people you work with are capable - some of which have skill sets that are truly world class in terms of development and execution. The company over time has shown consistent effort to improve the overall experience for it's employees. If you want to work, learn, and get paid while doing it, Zoosk is a place to make it happen.

Cons

Historically Zoosk has not always been clear with the expectations of it's employees or in laying out a clear path for vertical mobility or horizontal transitions. Growth in the company has essentially been guided by the will of the individual and that person's fortune in anticipating their superiors expectations. As a startup this was particularly problematic, as many managers were entirely new to management.

Although a free-agent mentality is somewhat to be expected in dynamic fields, I think the lack of career guidance due to budding or otherwise overworked management has led to some of the "liberal" firings mentioned by other reviews. In truth though, if you do your job, are attentive to what is asked of you, and maintain a reasonably good attitude, assuming you actually get hired - you won't likely be fired at Zoosk.

Zoosk is a good place to work. Cultivate a clear path for your employee's growth and help positively guide them through vertical and horizontal transitions. That will make Zoosk a great place to work.

Combines the fast-paced dev cycle of a young startup with the professional maturity and stability of a much older outfit

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The agile environment means a lot of time is spent developing features. It is difficult to be bored because you rarely spend more than two weeks on any given project before moving onto the next venture.

Cons

Sometimes the heavy focus on feature development means a sacrifice in going back to clear up old technical debt which can be a bit frustrating for the engineering-minded. But, of course, given the choice I would much rather work on features than bugs and code refactoring.

Great environment at a company with potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of cross-pollination between different teams. Co-workers are usually open to new ideas and working together to solve problems. In my experience team leaders have been more than willing to invest time into developing the skills of younger employees, so working here has been a great opportunity to learn. Management seems to attract employees who are friendly and engaging so the atmosphere is pretty jovial, overall.

The company and the product itself are *truly* driven by big-data and should stay ahead of the curve as the industry and competition evolve. Most people here have faith in the products (website, apps, etc.) as well as the trajectory of the business as it continues to grow.

As with most tech companies, the benefits package is great. There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership. Some say that it's not as generous as other tech companies, but I personally don't feel the need to have Street Fighter II or Dance Dance Revolution in my office :)

Cons

The location -- on 6th and Market -- can be a bit off-putting. Things are getting better, though, as the tech industry presence increases (Spotify, Zendesk, Twitter, and others are all close by). The quality of local businesses and cleanliness of the neighborhood are consequently improving.

Amazing opportunities for growth in an environment, everyone cares about quality

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Zoosk, especially in Engineering and UX, are some of the most dedicated and brilliant I have ever encountered. I used to often be the smartest person in the room at other workplaces, but that is rarely true at Zoosk. I've worked hard here, and my dedication has been noticed and rewarded. I try in turn to notice others' efforts and reward them generously.

Cons

The area is a bummer, to be perfectly honest. I get sick of eating at the mall. I also wish the User Ops team had a nicer office environment and that more effort had been put in to their floor.

The time will come when there will need to be more delegation, and it's probably best to do it sooner rather than later.