Zscaler

Updated December 9, 2014
4.4

Zscaler Founder & CEO Jay Chaudhry
Jay Chaudhry

Pros
  • Company events and happy hours are a great way to keep that work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Very cool technology - scalable, high-peformance cloud security solution (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Find ways to keep the passion and devotion while keeping a reasonable work/life balance (in 2 reviews)

• Unrealistic comp plan numbers for sales team (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Secure Everywhere - Best Cloud Security Company on the Planet

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart and passionate people that really care about what the do and providing a great service to customers. Late stage growth company that provides opportunities to grow your career and work with people that want you to be successful.

Cons

It's not for everyone. Very fluid and not high on process and a very flat management structure. Will need to improve / implement some processes before IPO.

Continue to be super selective in hiring and continue to invest in the business

Innovative company with great people to work with.

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are passionate about what they're doing. Everyone is excited about the future and believes in the product. Great corporate culture. Company events and happy hours are a great way to keep that work-life balance.

Cons

The location of the office isn't the best. It's a small company so you can't fly under the radar. Be prepared to work and make a difference.

Hire more people and keep growing!

Great company for sharp and ambitious people.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

While most of the companies are trying to force-fit their old appliance technology for cloud & mobility, Zscaler has developed purpose-built multi-tenant, distributed cloud security. Great place to learn and be a part of a company that is well on its way to dominate security market. Good for sales people who know how to do enterprise level selling.

Cons

If you simply want a job, it is not a good fit.

Keep on hiring the best people who fit the innovative and fast moving culture of Zscaler. Avoid people who play politics.

Future Looks Bright

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great technology, great people. Rigorous vetting process during hiring ensures that only top notch talent joins the company. Company is growing and continues to increase it's value to the market by adding features and functionality.

Cons

Some of the benefits need updating (no 401K match, Health plans are mediocre). Very hands on CEO (this is both pro and con actually)

Continue to invest in your employees by upgrading your benefits packages. Make sure that resources are available for employees to excel in their jobs as company grows

Great company with many talented employees!

I have been working at Zscaler full-time

Pros

I have been working with Zscaler for a little over a year and a half now. Very smart and motivated co-workers to work with. Fast pace environment, always on my feet... which I love! Nice perks like free Bagels/Donuts Mondays, free Fruit Tuesdays/Fridays and free catered Thursday lunches. Biweekly happy hours and many holiday celebrations! What more can you ask for?? It’s great to be part of a growing company that works hard and celebrates achievements

Cons

Office space not the best place but looking for new one soon in less than a couple months.

Great technology, team and leadership

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- I enjoy working with ppl in my team. Smart & friendly...have a good time at work and so much to learn from them.
    - Its a game changer in the security field and the product is cutting edge. Scales, is software based, easy to deploy. Team believes in the product and we have some of the top brand names using Zscaler today for their Internet security.
    - Open door policy. You can walk up to the CEO or any exec anytime and discuss. They sit where the rest of us are and not in a closed door office. Execs are very approachable.
    - Strong leadership: CEO is a successful entrepreneur and COO CMO are all well known in the industry.

Cons

- Location can be a bit fancier given that we are growing now and a facelift for color scheme/indoor decor can help. Although we are going to be moving from this place early 2015 so hoping both the changes will come through.
    - Better health & Vacation benefits

- Keep up the good work & push to be on track for the 2015 IPO. We want to see all of us to be successful.

On its way to becoming the "Salesforce" of online security

Current Employee - Contracts Counsel in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Contracts Counsel in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Innovative technology, dedicated and hard working executive management, and great working environment.

Cons

No crazy Google level perks, but good compensation and hot IPO candidate in 2015!

Current Employee - Accounting in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People! When the company says they focus on their employees they mean it. Professional and intelligent people throughout the company. Regular updates provided by management to employees which keeps us involved and focused

Cons

As company is still scaling up you do not see many training tools as with bigger companies....but do hear a plan is underway (so HR actually reads the employee survey!!!)

Excellent company to be at!

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Been with the company for almost 3 years. This is the best place to be in the high-tech environment. Having worked in the Silicon Valley for the past 24 years, I have experienced various companies large and small, and trust me, there are only a few like Zscaler – in terms of the opportunity it has to offer and the work environment. The technology is cutting edge and way ahead of the competition. A very open and friendly culture is what appeals to me the most. Even though the company is over 350 employees, access to the execs is easy and friendly.

Cons

Execution is challenging at times but we have made great improvements! It will only get better, I know!

Keep up the great work and the passion! Its great to work here!

Smart people, phenomenal product, well-run company

Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Here's what I tell everyone about 'Why Zscaler' -

- Solid product as evidenced by its marquee and highly-satisfied customers. The Zscaler offering is compelling - similar to other SaaS offerings like Google Apps, Salesforce, and Netsuite, customers are adopting because it's more effective, easier to deploy and manage and offers significant cost savings. Additionally, Zscaler is a very customer-oriented company and that shows in its high renewal and upsell rates.

- Experienced management team who are making all the right moves for a blockbuster IPO in next 12-18 months. The CEO is a serial entrepreneur and a nice person to boot. The SVP of Product is a visionary and the SVP of Engineering is the one who makes it all happen with a smile. The COO and CMO have deep experience with other successful companies - Palo Alto Networks, Postini, etc - and have built a strong pipeline that continues to grow exponentially.

- Smart and talented employees who have built a strong team-oriented culture - there is none of the preening or self-congratulations I've seen promoted at other tech companies. Many of the employees, particularly in engineering, have been here for a long time.

- Transparent and ongoing communications. The company holds quarterly and mid-point check-in meetings. The CEO also sends out notes that highlight an accomplishment or shares customer feedback. Every time the company signs a big deal, there is a brief celebration with champagne.

Cons

I do have to set expectations -

- Office environment is a bit old school - office park in middle of nowhere with high-walled cubicles carpeted in beige/brown tones - but they're looking to move and change up their style in next year.

- Engineering culture heavily tilted toward back-end - it's a huge opportunity for rockstar UX/designers/front-end engineers to come in and have an immediate and lasting impact.

- Not one of those start-ups that spends mindlessly on crazy perks. You'll appreciate regular team lunches but you'll also get out and enjoy local businesses.

Keep up the good work! Continue to hire great people, focus on results, not activities and promote a positive culture.